YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Training Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Yorkie Talker
 
LindaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 24
Default Crate Training Article

Hi Everyone, I've seen so many questions about crate training. Several years ago I wrote and published a few articles, one on crate training. They are still around today. I thought I'd
share this one... I'm sorry I have to use two posts for this one article, but it is too long for a single post. So... here it is

By Linda Vanator
Copyright 2004

Just like people, dogs are individuals each possessing personalities and unique characteristics. Genetics dictate many human instincts and so it is for our dogs. It isn’t a far stretch to think about the behavior of dogs in the wild. Adult dogs in the wild will instinctually find a den or safe place to sleep. When a ***** whelps pups in the wild she sets up a den and keeps it clean until her pups are old enough to venture out on their own. The mother will teach her pups that it is not acceptable to soil in the area where they sleep. Domestic dogs will naturally den. When they are still in the whelping box the puppies will move from their sleeping area to an area they select as the potty area. They will eliminate in this area, keeping their sleeping area clean.

So many times I have heard people say that crating, “Is like jail!”, or “It’s so cruel to put my little puppy in a cage!”, or even “It reminds me of animals in the zoo!” Of course as humans we highly regard our freedom and as compassionate beings we want to extend this freedom to our pets. Ask yourself this though, “Would I raise my child without a crib to sleep in or a play pen to keep him safe if I had to take my eyes off him for a few minutes?”

Correctly and humanely used, a dog crate can be very advantageous and provide you with valuable tools to use as stepping stones, setting a foundation of security for both you and your dog. It can help as a tool to build a bond of mutual trust that will last as long as your relationship does.

Crate = Security
In his crate your dog can enjoy the security of his den, have his own place to retreat to when tired or not feeling well. In his crate your dog can avoid the confusion and punishment resulting from problem behavior. In his crate your dog can more easily learn to control his bladder and bowel functions and learn to associate relieving himself with the outdoors. In his crate your dog can be spared the isolation of being relegated to the garage, basement or being left outside in the yard alone. You want your dog to exhibit appropriate behavior. Your dog wants to please you. The crate can help you develop the bond and relationship you both desire.

When crate training always keep in mind the importance of repetition. Your dog will not understand what you want unless you repeatedly show him the desired behavior that you expect many, many times. Also, always remember that your puppy does not know what is expected of him as far as relieving himself unless he is shown the proper place to eliminate and when. Again, repetition is the key. The crate will be your best house breaking tool. Crate training can be a fun and positive experience for your puppy. You will be the one who creates the positive experience.

Housebreaking Tip
During housebreaking the puppy should never be allowed outside alone or loose in the yard. That means in the rain, snow, middle of the night or drowsy crack of dawn he must be on a leash with you there with him. Give him plenty of time and let him know he is there to “potty!” and not play. He can be redirected with the leash. “GO POTTY” or any short command phrase you are comfortable with should be repeated gently but firmly. Don’t chatter or talk to him, doing so will only confuse him. Potty time is strictly business. When he does eliminate act like it is the greatest thing he ever did. Praise enthusiastically and let him see and feel your excitement. Your repetition and adherence to this routine sets your dog up for success. The more opportunity he has to succeed sets the tone for lots of jubilant praise which fosters confidence and trust and desire to please. It’s a cycle that moves in a very positive direction for everyone.

Choosing A Crate
There are many crates to choose from and it’s often a confusing decision. There are open wire crates and enclosed plastic crates. I personally prefer the enclosed plastic crates which are vented on the three hard sides and have an open wire door. I believe this type of crate creates a secure den-like environment. They are also easy to move around and serve as safe travel containers. Purchase soft washable bedding for the bottom of the crate. Size can be confusing too. For most people it isn’t practical to purchase a new crate for each stage of the growing pup’s life. The crate should be just large enough for the dog to lie down and turn around in. The hard plastic portable crates are relatively inexpensive and depending on the breed of the dog and how large he will be at his adult size it might be wise to purchase a puppy size crate and move up to the adult size when he outgrows the small crate.
Make a partition until he is full grown. If you purchase a crate that will be the right size for the adult dog, a partition can be made out of sturdy cardboard, stuff the unused section of the crate with a cardboard box. A crate that is too large for a small puppy won’t serve the intended purpose. He’ll have enough room to relieve himself on one end and sleep in the clean area. This will defeat the purpose of the crate as a housebreaking tool. Purchasing used crates is also an option. If you do, make certain that before you let your dog use it you wash it thoroughly with a bleach solution.

Introducing The Crate
If you are using the hard sided plastic crate take the crate apart. Let your pup go in and out of the bottom half. Put some soft bedding down in the bottom half of the crate. Encourage the pup to walk in and out, lie down and play. This stage can take hours to days. Go slow and let your pup set the pace. You can skip this step if you have a very young puppy who will accept crating right away.

Entice your puppy into the crate by placing his favorite toys at the very back part of the crate. Kongs, Nylabones, safe balls, or anything that is non-edible and large enough to prevent the pup from swallowing it, or bits of it, are good choices. I like to fill a small Kong with peanut butter and freeze it. This special kennel treat can distract and keep them interested for quite a long time. It’s also very soothing on tender teething puppy gums and will help to keep them quiet while crated.

Place the crate next to you when you are home. This will encourage the puppy to go inside it without feeling isolated or lonely when you have to leave. In the beginning always praise and pet your puppy when he enters the crate. You want him to know that his crate is a safe, positive place.

Throughout the day, occasionally place small pieces of dry puppy food or small bits of puppy treats in the crate. When the pup wanders in to investigate he’ll discover the treats. This will reinforce the positive experience of the crate. If you have an older pup or dog that is hesitant and resisting the crate you can try feeding him in it. Start with the food right outside the crate entrance. Each feeding slowly move the food into the crate, first right inside the doorway, moving toward the back of the crate until he’s eating inside the crate. Always praise his efforts!

During the early stages of introduction only enticing directives should be used. During the night the pup may be placed in his crate with the door closed. Place the crate right next to your bed. Should he whine or fuss, reach your hand down to calm him. Use soothing vocal tones. If several hours have passed and you awake to a crying, fussing pup – get up and take him outside to potty. Praise him then place him back into the crate with no fuss or drama. Remember, you are creating and teaching a lasting routine.

When beginning the crate training process always crate your pup for short periods of time while you are home with him. The crate training process is always most successful when you are present in the same room with the dog in the crate. Getting him used to your leaving the room which he is crated in is a great first step for getting him used to you leaving the house. When you leave the room he is crated in but remain in the home you are setting a great foundation for security. This also prevents the puppy associating being crated with you leaving the house.

Puppies And The Crate
Remember, puppies under four months of age have very little bladder or bowel control. Be patient and allow for frequent trips outside to potty. Young puppies should not be crated for long periods of time at all, the exception being during the night. Always be alert to your pup’s needs to eliminate. Set an alarm if you have to. Success creates stability and security.

Guidelines For Crating Durations
A 9 to 10 week old puppy can safely be crated for 30 to 60 minutes.
At 11 to 14 weeks he can be crated for approximately 1 to 3 hours.
At 15 to 16 weeks the time can be increased to approximately 3 to 4 hours.
At 17 weeks and older your pup can be crated for approximately 4 to 6 hours – not to exceed 6 hours.

The exception is overnight. Your pup should eventually be able to be crated through the night. At any other time, no pup or dog should be crated for more than 6 hours.

(continued in next post...)

LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Yorkie Talker
 
LindaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 24
Default Crate Training Continued...

Use Don’t Abuse The Crate
Never use the crate as a form of punishment for your dog or puppy. Doing so will only cause the dog to fear, resist and resent the crate. If properly introduced to the crate your puppy should be happy to go into his crate at any time. It is alright to use the crate as a brief time out for your puppy if he has gotten himself worked up during rough play or is being particularly rowdy and unruly. Brief is the key word. Never banish and abandon your puppy to his crate and isolate him. This will only cause fear and may lead to anxiety. Always make sure your dog or puppy has plenty of exercise in the form of supervised play and walks on the leash (once the puppy is fully immunized).

Long Term Success!
The prospect of crate training may seem like a daunting task. It’s not! Time spent training your dog should be fun. Be creative and enjoy the process. Get to know your dog’s individual personality and work with it. Crate training will serve you both throughout the duration of your relationship. Like everything else in a dog’s life, learning to accept the crate and incorporating it into his daily routine is a layer in the foundation you are laying for a healthy, confident, loyal, obedient, wonderful lifelong companion. I have said this before, your dog will thank you!

I hope this helps The subject of crating can be confusing and poses many questions. I'd be happy to help answer any questions . Thanks for letting me post that article!!

Linda
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
YT Addict
 
cooperk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 382
Default

Linda,
This is a great post. I have a 4 mo old pup who we've been very strict about crating. I'm home all day and bring her from her crate outside to do her bus. I am still finding that she is relieving herself in the house even so.

I have crate trained 2 other dogs and haven't had this much trouble. If she weren't so sweet and lovable, I'd be mad!

My westie didn't have this much trouble! How long should I expect her to be OK in the house after she has been outside?

Kathy
cooperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Yorkie Talker
 
LindaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperk View Post
Linda,
This is a great post. I have a 4 mo old pup who we've been very strict about crating. I'm home all day and bring her from her crate outside to do her bus. I am still finding that she is relieving herself in the house even so.

I have crate trained 2 other dogs and haven't had this much trouble. If she weren't so sweet and lovable, I'd be mad!

My westie didn't have this much trouble! How long should I expect her to be OK in the house after she has been outside?

Kathy
Hi Kathy, Thank you!
4 months, especially our small breeds at 4 months, is very young to expect too much consistency in bladder control.
Do you feed her on any kind of schedule?
Is she with you at all times between potty sessions?
Most of the time it's easy to get to know their "potty cues". Stopping play to sniff the floor should be a signal to pick her up and take her out at once.
I found that with my Yorkie, an EX-Pen was my lifesaver.
I was able to put hospital pads down to cover the floor inside the pen, put the crate (door opened) in there too - and when I couldn't be focused on her at least the accidents were contained.

I pad-trained mine (huge reason why the EX-pen was great)- which was a challenging experience too. I live in a rural area of NJ (cold, wet winters, hawks, coyote, bear and fox... oh my! ) and training her outside just didn't seem to be the best option for me. I wish I could have.

I believe a major issue that develops is that once the urine scent is deposited into carpeting or in the grout between tiles, or between the boards of hardwood flooring, it's an invitation to reuse that spot. They can smell a molecule, and we think we've gotten all the scent up.
Do you find when she has accidents she tends to go in the same places?

I've trained lots and lots of dogs and this Yorkie of mine has been the hardest to potty-train, by far! At 3 1/2 she still goes through periods where she has an occasional accident. It's a mystery to me why! Agreed - if she wasn't so darn adorable I'd be mad too! lol! And - there is part of the problem (for me at least). Because she's so small and *cute* I've excused things with her that my other dogs, or dogs I've trained, would never get away with

I'd say, just be patient and consistent - it WILL happen. It does take longer than our larger friends.



LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Donating YT 30K Club Member
 
Patti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 35,509
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Thanks great article. I was one that use to believe crate training was cruel. Then I got another Yorkie 2 1/2 years ago and had her in a playpen and she loved it. SHe would go in whenever she wanted and when she knew I was getting ready to go out she would go in by herself. She trained pretty easily. I now have a puppy and use the crate when I can't watch her or to seperate her when I am out. She doesn't seem to mind when she has to go in.
__________________
Cali Pixie Roxie : RIP Nikki; RIP Maya;RIP my sweet Dixie girl 1/17/08
http://callipuppyscastle.bravehost.com/index.html
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
YT Addict
 
cooperk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaV View Post
Hi Kathy, Thank you!
4 months, especially our small breeds at 4 months, is very young to expect too much consistency in bladder control.
Do you feed her on any kind of schedule?
Is she with you at all times between potty sessions?
I suppose my westie was so easy, I forget how difficult my samoyed was (she even ate a hole in our wall - eeks). I think I get more frustrated with myself, wondering if I'm "on it" as much as I should be.

I have 3 kids, so schedule is military around here. I did solve the "morning oopses" by taking her ouside from the crate, then feeding her in her crate followed by another trip outdoors. I am with her all the time she's out of the crate, but I suppose it's the "kids" fault, as they play with her, then go on to something else, like the TV and she wonders into another room.

The scent thing is a good point too. It may also be more difficult since the breeder did not take the puppies outside. They were in a gated area indoors and pretty much went on the paper. I tried the paper (by the back door) as well as the crate for a few weeks, but got tired of the thing and really am trying to get her to go outside only (not going too well for me).

Of course we'll just keep working on it...have to, we're so in love with her!
cooperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
YT Addict
 
KimluvsLexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Springfield
Posts: 483
Default

I've posted this a couple of times, but we're still having some problems with Tucker. His "crate" right now is a potty pad under a laundry basket because at 6 months he is still using the bathroom in his crate no matter how small I make it. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for a puppy that was kept in a crate most of the time early on in his life? His first owner was very sick and unable to take care of him so he was left in there for long periods of time. The cleanup was unreal and I was fearing for his skin due to daily baths. We need some tips!
KimluvsLexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Yorkie Talker
 
LindaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimluvsLexie View Post
I've posted this a couple of times, but we're still having some problems with Tucker. His "crate" right now is a potty pad under a laundry basket because at 6 months he is still using the bathroom in his crate no matter how small I make it. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for a puppy that was kept in a crate most of the time early on in his life? His first owner was very sick and unable to take care of him so he was left in there for long periods of time. The cleanup was unreal and I was fearing for his skin due to daily baths. We need some tips!
I'm sorry Tucker had a rough start This problem occurs more often than you'd think. At 6 months, he's had time to make the negative association with the crate. Being left in there for prolonged periods of time when he was younger gave him no option but to get used to laying in his own waste.

Have you considered starting from scratch, using an ex-pen? Expandable baby fencing works great for this. Start small with a couple of panels, perhaps in a corner. Lightweight plastic painting tarp on the floor, covered with towels or hospital pads will prevent any urine from scenting the carpets or flooring.
Inside the pen, just enough room for his crate on one side, potty pad opposite side, away from the crate.

Introduce the crate as if it were day one. Short, positive experiences, lots of praise. I swear by the small Kong stuffed with peanut butter and frozen. If he'll enter the crate and entertain himself for 15 minutes, yay! Praise him, take him out - and praise, praise, praise!

Once you've reintroduced the crate as a positive place you can try putting him in the x-pen area with the crate. This should be in the same room where you and your family members spend the most time. If you are close by, he won't feel banished, abandoned or alone, but he will be able to establish a "den" area and a "potty" area.

Entice him into the crate with the frozen Kong, small bits of kibble or small treats. If he begins to enter the crate on his own, even if he was "food motivated", praise him! "Good Kennel", or whatever you choose to call his crate, will create the word association.

I'm not sure what your objective is. Is your goal to train him to potty outside, or on potty-pads?
How much time is he spending outside his current "laundry basket" crate?
What is his normal routine with you like each day?

Knowing more about your situation might help in developing some strategies to help you move him forward. I know this is tough and frustrating for you!
I'm happy to help in any way I can
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
YT Addict
 
KimluvsLexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Springfield
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
I'm sorry Tucker had a rough start This problem occurs more often than you'd think. At 6 months, he's had time to make the negative association with the crate. Being left in there for prolonged periods of time when he was younger gave him no option but to get used to laying in his own waste.

Have you considered starting from scratch, using an ex-pen? Expandable baby fencing works great for this. Start small with a couple of panels, perhaps in a corner. Lightweight plastic painting tarp on the floor, covered with towels or hospital pads will prevent any urine from scenting the carpets or flooring.
Inside the pen, just enough room for his crate on one side, potty pad opposite side, away from the crate.

Introduce the crate as if it were day one. Short, positive experiences, lots of praise. I swear by the small Kong stuffed with peanut butter and frozen. If he'll enter the crate and entertain himself for 15 minutes, yay! Praise him, take him out - and praise, praise, praise!

Once you've reintroduced the crate as a positive place you can try putting him in the x-pen area with the crate. This should be in the same room where you and your family members spend the most time. If you are close by, he won't feel banished, abandoned or alone, but he will be able to establish a "den" area and a "potty" area.

Entice him into the crate with the frozen Kong, small bits of kibble or small treats. If he begins to enter the crate on his own, even if he was "food motivated", praise him! "Good Kennel", or whatever you choose to call his crate, will create the word association.

I'm not sure what your objective is. Is your goal to train him to potty outside, or on potty-pads?
How much time is he spending outside his current "laundry basket" crate?
What is his normal routine with you like each day?

Knowing more about your situation might help in developing some strategies to help you move him forward. I know this is tough and frustrating for you!
I'm happy to help in any way I can
Thank you for such wonderful advice! I am so relieved to finally have a starting point! Our goal is to train him to washable potty pads that we should be getting next week sometime. Our other yorkie, Lexie, is trained to regular pee pads. We do have an x-pen so we can move it to the family room and start to use it in the way you suggested. Every day when my husband and I go to work is when he's in his laundry basket crate. We come home at lunch and let him out for an hour to run around. He gets out again at 5 when I get home and then he spends the evening with me on my lap or playing until bedtime at 10:30 when he either goes back in his laundry basket crate or sleeps in the bed with us. He was really good about sleeping in the bed for a while, but after an accident in the bed we've been more likely to let him sleep in his laundry basket crate. When we have days off he is out most of the day unless we are tending to something such as laundry, dinner, etc. He is under our watchful eye of course. I have also ordered some belly bands to help with the times that I can't watch him 100%. I am off Saturday and Sunday and my husband is off Tuesday and Wednesday so there are only 3 days where he spends 8-5 in the crate with his 1 hour lunch break. This summer I will not be working so that is probably when potty training will get VERY intensive. Thank you for all the input and we will put it to good use. If anything I've said makes you think of anything else we can do let me know!
__________________
Kimberly Lee, parents of Lexie , Tucker , and Jordan
KimluvsLexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
KissKiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: manchester
Posts: 122
Default

Hi there

I am struggling with my nearly 10 week old.

I can usually sense when she needs the toilet but if I put her on her pad she WILL NOT GO FOR THE LIFE OF HERSELF!!! and the second I leave her unattended she will go (which is usually somewhere on my rug

Any tips on getting her to go whilst im watching? or should I crate her for longer, so she is bursting!?

Also when I crate her she CRIES AND CRIES AND CRIES; so its hard for me to leave her in their that long.

Also when she does a number 1 on the pad is it best to throw it away straight away or does the urine smell help her go again the next time!?! I.E should I throw it away after she spoils it the 1st time or should I wait until she uses it a second time. i.e. is she more likely to go when it is fresh or when she can smell the urine. Gross I know; but if it helps training for her to become acustomed to the pad by smelling the urine I can don't mind her reusing the same pad for the day. (obviously getting rid of the number 2 tho lol).
__________________
Mommy to baby Tia
My was born on 13th Jan 2008
KissKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Yorkie Talker
 
LindaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissKiss View Post
Hi there

I am struggling with my nearly 10 week old.

I can usually sense when she needs the toilet but if I put her on her pad she WILL NOT GO FOR THE LIFE OF HERSELF!!! and the second I leave her unattended she will go (which is usually somewhere on my rug

Any tips on getting her to go whilst im watching? or should I crate her for longer, so she is bursting!?

Also when I crate her she CRIES AND CRIES AND CRIES; so its hard for me to leave her in their that long.

Also when she does a number 1 on the pad is it best to throw it away straight away or does the urine smell help her go again the next time!?! I.E should I throw it away after she spoils it the 1st time or should I wait until she uses it a second time. i.e. is she more likely to go when it is fresh or when she can smell the urine. Gross I know; but if it helps training for her to become acustomed to the pad by smelling the urine I can don't mind her reusing the same pad for the day. (obviously getting rid of the number 2 tho lol).
Hi, 10 weeks is sooo young, too young to expect much consistency with her bladder.
Also, at 10 weeks, the longest she should be crated is 30 - 60 minutes.
When you do crate her, is she in the same room with you? Does she have something safe in there with her to keep her interested so she can learn to be calm while confined?
As far as not going potty in front of you - wow I totally get that! Mine did that too! What worked great was setting her up to succeed.

Can you try confining her to a small area, like a play-pen or X-pen, put the crate in there and potty pads... she will have no choice but to choose a place in there to potty (the pad). When you know she's eliminated, take her out and give her lots of attention, play, bonding, etc.
When you notice her "potty cues", pop her back in her area... she'll get the hang of it
As far as leaving a used pad down - yep - it certainly will reinforce her scent and reinforce that's where her potty-place is.
It was never that gross to me to leave a pee-pad down with a pee-spot on it - their puddles are pretty small and odorless.
When you catch her going on her pad - praise her big time. It will only reinforce to her that she is doing what you want her to.

Give her some time, she's so young yet. Be consistent. It can be frustrating, I know - but the more consistent you are (with everything) the quicker she'll know what's expected of her - and she does want to please you
Hope that helped, a bit
How does she do overnight?
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
KissKiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: manchester
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaV View Post
Hi, 10 weeks is sooo young, too young to expect much consistency with her bladder.
Also, at 10 weeks, the longest she should be crated is 30 - 60 minutes.
When you do crate her, is she in the same room with you? Does she have something safe in there with her to keep her interested so she can learn to be calm while confined?
As far as not going potty in front of you - wow I totally get that! Mine did that too! What worked great was setting her up to succeed.

Can you try confining her to a small area, like a play-pen or X-pen, put the crate in there and potty pads... she will have no choice but to choose a place in there to potty (the pad). When you know she's eliminated, take her out and give her lots of attention, play, bonding, etc.
When you notice her "potty cues", pop her back in her area... she'll get the hang of it
As far as leaving a used pad down - yep - it certainly will reinforce her scent and reinforce that's where her potty-place is.
It was never that gross to me to leave a pee-pad down with a pee-spot on it - their puddles are pretty small and odorless.
When you catch her going on her pad - praise her big time. It will only reinforce to her that she is doing what you want her to.

Give her some time, she's so young yet. Be consistent. It can be frustrating, I know - but the more consistent you are (with everything) the quicker she'll know what's expected of her - and she does want to please you
Hope that helped, a bit
How does she do overnight?
Thanks for the reply.. I will definately get an x-pen and see how that goes. I never crate her for more than 60 mins; I try to crate her soon after she has eaten/ drank/ just woke up for up to 60 mins but she will not go whilst I am there; then the second I turn my back she will go (sometimes right next to the pad).

Its difficult though because when I am at work I have to leave her in the bathroom so she is able to go freely. So I guess this doesn't help, help her. I think the x-pen is defo the best way to go as even when I am at work she will still be forced to go on the pad even without me being there.
__________________
Mommy to baby Tia
My was born on 13th Jan 2008
KissKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:33 AM   #13
Yorkie Talker
 
LindaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissKiss View Post
Thanks for the reply.. I will definately get an x-pen and see how that goes. I never crate her for more than 60 mins; I try to crate her soon after she has eaten/ drank/ just woke up for up to 60 mins but she will not go whilst I am there; then the second I turn my back she will go (sometimes right next to the pad).

Its difficult though because when I am at work I have to leave her in the bathroom so she is able to go freely. So I guess this doesn't help, help her. I think the x-pen is defo the best way to go as even when I am at work she will still be forced to go on the pad even without me being there.
You are crating her right after she has eaten a meal, or woken up for a nap? Maybe I am totally misunderstanding you... the worst time to crate her is after eating, or after waking up from sleeping... this is the best time for you to take her to her potty area (place her on her pad) and just stand there, very calm but firm, and tell her "Potty" (or whatever you choose that action to be called) - it may take minutes, or it may take a long time ... but after meals and after waking up, you have the best chance of catching her when she has to "go".
If after 10 minutes or so on her pad she hasn't eliminated, place her in the ex-pen. She will certainly succeed there because - well, you set her up to succeed in that confined environment. No chance for failure
If you decide her only potty area will be in the confines of the x-pen, then after waking up or eating -that's where she goes 'till she eliminates.

I'm sorry if I totally misunderstood what you were saying - I just want you to be able to create an environment where your puppy will be successful, with the least amount of stress on you both

Going next to the pad - ahhh... yeah, know that one well too! What I did was put 2 pads side by side - make the pad area bigger - I know it sounds like a pain in the butt - but! If she is going next to the pad - she is *almost* getting it! If you enlarge the pad area - again - she succeeds, because she'll go on the pad. Yay! When she is older and more reliable, reduce back to one pad . I believe the key to any training objective is figuring out how to make the dog succeed. Positive environments that set them up for positive reinforcement - and success

Is she crated during the night? Does she wake you up to let you know she has to go to her pad?


LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
KissKiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: manchester
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaV View Post
You are crating her right after she has eaten a meal, or woken up for a nap? Maybe I am totally misunderstanding you... the worst time to crate her is after eating, or after waking up from sleeping... this is the best time for you to take her to her potty area (place her on her pad) and just stand there, very calm but firm, and tell her "Potty" (or whatever you choose that action to be called) - it may take minutes, or it may take a long time ... but after meals and after waking up, you have the best chance of catching her when she has to "go".
If after 10 minutes or so on her pad she hasn't eliminated, place her in the ex-pen. She will certainly succeed there because - well, you set her up to succeed in that confined environment. No chance for failure
If you decide her only potty area will be in the confines of the x-pen, then after waking up or eating -that's where she goes 'till she eliminates.

I'm sorry if I totally misunderstood what you were saying - I just want you to be able to create an environment where your puppy will be successful, with the least amount of stress on you both

Going next to the pad - ahhh... yeah, know that one well too! What I did was put 2 pads side by side - make the pad area bigger - I know it sounds like a pain in the butt - but! If she is going next to the pad - she is *almost* getting it! If you enlarge the pad area - again - she succeeds, because she'll go on the pad. Yay! When she is older and more reliable, reduce back to one pad . I believe the key to any training objective is figuring out how to make the dog succeed. Positive environments that set them up for positive reinforcement - and success

Is she crated during the night? Does she wake you up to let you know she has to go to her pad?


Hi there

I should have elaborated further (I was in a rush sorry)... anyway right after she eats/drinks/ sleep I try to make her go potty, but when she doesn't I crate her, then take her out (say in 20mins time) to try again.

She is not crated during the night as I understand she shouldn't be crated for that long, so she just stays in my room in her lil basket with the pee pee pad nearby. She wakes to let me know shes awake and she wants to play but never that she needs to go toilet.
__________________
Mommy to baby Tia
My was born on 13th Jan 2008
KissKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
Donating YT 1000 Club Member
 
eaglez28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houma, LA
Posts: 1,313
Thumbs up

Linda - GREAT Article on Crate Training!!!
__________________
IT'LL COST Nothing To Dream & EVERYTHING NOT TO!!!
Kim Scruffy Lexi Kylee Stormy Reesie Tyke http://www.myspace.com/eskindsyorkies
eaglez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166