View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
KissKiss
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaV View Post
Hi, 10 weeks is sooo young, too young to expect much consistency with her bladder.
Also, at 10 weeks, the longest she should be crated is 30 - 60 minutes.
When you do crate her, is she in the same room with you? Does she have something safe in there with her to keep her interested so she can learn to be calm while confined?
As far as not going potty in front of you - wow I totally get that! Mine did that too! What worked great was setting her up to succeed.

Can you try confining her to a small area, like a play-pen or X-pen, put the crate in there and potty pads... she will have no choice but to choose a place in there to potty (the pad). When you know she's eliminated, take her out and give her lots of attention, play, bonding, etc.
When you notice her "potty cues", pop her back in her area... she'll get the hang of it
As far as leaving a used pad down - yep - it certainly will reinforce her scent and reinforce that's where her potty-place is.
It was never that gross to me to leave a pee-pad down with a pee-spot on it - their puddles are pretty small and odorless.
When you catch her going on her pad - praise her big time. It will only reinforce to her that she is doing what you want her to.

Give her some time, she's so young yet. Be consistent. It can be frustrating, I know - but the more consistent you are (with everything) the quicker she'll know what's expected of her - and she does want to please you
Hope that helped, a bit
How does she do overnight?
Thanks for the reply.. I will definately get an x-pen and see how that goes. I never crate her for more than 60 mins; I try to crate her soon after she has eaten/ drank/ just woke up for up to 60 mins but she will not go whilst I am there; then the second I turn my back she will go (sometimes right next to the pad).

Its difficult though because when I am at work I have to leave her in the bathroom so she is able to go freely. So I guess this doesn't help, help her. I think the x-pen is defo the best way to go as even when I am at work she will still be forced to go on the pad even without me being there.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!