View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 01:33 AM   #13
LindaV
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissKiss View Post
Thanks for the reply.. I will definately get an x-pen and see how that goes. I never crate her for more than 60 mins; I try to crate her soon after she has eaten/ drank/ just woke up for up to 60 mins but she will not go whilst I am there; then the second I turn my back she will go (sometimes right next to the pad).

Its difficult though because when I am at work I have to leave her in the bathroom so she is able to go freely. So I guess this doesn't help, help her. I think the x-pen is defo the best way to go as even when I am at work she will still be forced to go on the pad even without me being there.
You are crating her right after she has eaten a meal, or woken up for a nap? Maybe I am totally misunderstanding you... the worst time to crate her is after eating, or after waking up from sleeping... this is the best time for you to take her to her potty area (place her on her pad) and just stand there, very calm but firm, and tell her "Potty" (or whatever you choose that action to be called) - it may take minutes, or it may take a long time ... but after meals and after waking up, you have the best chance of catching her when she has to "go".
If after 10 minutes or so on her pad she hasn't eliminated, place her in the ex-pen. She will certainly succeed there because - well, you set her up to succeed in that confined environment. No chance for failure
If you decide her only potty area will be in the confines of the x-pen, then after waking up or eating -that's where she goes 'till she eliminates.

I'm sorry if I totally misunderstood what you were saying - I just want you to be able to create an environment where your puppy will be successful, with the least amount of stress on you both

Going next to the pad - ahhh... yeah, know that one well too! What I did was put 2 pads side by side - make the pad area bigger - I know it sounds like a pain in the butt - but! If she is going next to the pad - she is *almost* getting it! If you enlarge the pad area - again - she succeeds, because she'll go on the pad. Yay! When she is older and more reliable, reduce back to one pad . I believe the key to any training objective is figuring out how to make the dog succeed. Positive environments that set them up for positive reinforcement - and success

Is she crated during the night? Does she wake you up to let you know she has to go to her pad?

LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!