View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
LindaV
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperk View Post
Linda,
This is a great post. I have a 4 mo old pup who we've been very strict about crating. I'm home all day and bring her from her crate outside to do her bus. I am still finding that she is relieving herself in the house even so.

I have crate trained 2 other dogs and haven't had this much trouble. If she weren't so sweet and lovable, I'd be mad!

My westie didn't have this much trouble! How long should I expect her to be OK in the house after she has been outside?

Kathy
Hi Kathy, Thank you!
4 months, especially our small breeds at 4 months, is very young to expect too much consistency in bladder control.
Do you feed her on any kind of schedule?
Is she with you at all times between potty sessions?
Most of the time it's easy to get to know their "potty cues". Stopping play to sniff the floor should be a signal to pick her up and take her out at once.
I found that with my Yorkie, an EX-Pen was my lifesaver.
I was able to put hospital pads down to cover the floor inside the pen, put the crate (door opened) in there too - and when I couldn't be focused on her at least the accidents were contained.

I pad-trained mine (huge reason why the EX-pen was great)- which was a challenging experience too. I live in a rural area of NJ (cold, wet winters, hawks, coyote, bear and fox... oh my! ) and training her outside just didn't seem to be the best option for me. I wish I could have.

I believe a major issue that develops is that once the urine scent is deposited into carpeting or in the grout between tiles, or between the boards of hardwood flooring, it's an invitation to reuse that spot. They can smell a molecule, and we think we've gotten all the scent up.
Do you find when she has accidents she tends to go in the same places?

I've trained lots and lots of dogs and this Yorkie of mine has been the hardest to potty-train, by far! At 3 1/2 she still goes through periods where she has an occasional accident. It's a mystery to me why! Agreed - if she wasn't so darn adorable I'd be mad too! lol! And - there is part of the problem (for me at least). Because she's so small and *cute* I've excused things with her that my other dogs, or dogs I've trained, would never get away with

I'd say, just be patient and consistent - it WILL happen. It does take longer than our larger friends.

LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!