View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
LindaV
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissKiss View Post
Hi there

I am struggling with my nearly 10 week old.

I can usually sense when she needs the toilet but if I put her on her pad she WILL NOT GO FOR THE LIFE OF HERSELF!!! and the second I leave her unattended she will go (which is usually somewhere on my rug

Any tips on getting her to go whilst im watching? or should I crate her for longer, so she is bursting!?

Also when I crate her she CRIES AND CRIES AND CRIES; so its hard for me to leave her in their that long.

Also when she does a number 1 on the pad is it best to throw it away straight away or does the urine smell help her go again the next time!?! I.E should I throw it away after she spoils it the 1st time or should I wait until she uses it a second time. i.e. is she more likely to go when it is fresh or when she can smell the urine. Gross I know; but if it helps training for her to become acustomed to the pad by smelling the urine I can don't mind her reusing the same pad for the day. (obviously getting rid of the number 2 tho lol).
Hi, 10 weeks is sooo young, too young to expect much consistency with her bladder.
Also, at 10 weeks, the longest she should be crated is 30 - 60 minutes.
When you do crate her, is she in the same room with you? Does she have something safe in there with her to keep her interested so she can learn to be calm while confined?
As far as not going potty in front of you - wow I totally get that! Mine did that too! What worked great was setting her up to succeed.

Can you try confining her to a small area, like a play-pen or X-pen, put the crate in there and potty pads... she will have no choice but to choose a place in there to potty (the pad). When you know she's eliminated, take her out and give her lots of attention, play, bonding, etc.
When you notice her "potty cues", pop her back in her area... she'll get the hang of it
As far as leaving a used pad down - yep - it certainly will reinforce her scent and reinforce that's where her potty-place is.
It was never that gross to me to leave a pee-pad down with a pee-spot on it - their puddles are pretty small and odorless.
When you catch her going on her pad - praise her big time. It will only reinforce to her that she is doing what you want her to.

Give her some time, she's so young yet. Be consistent. It can be frustrating, I know - but the more consistent you are (with everything) the quicker she'll know what's expected of her - and she does want to please you
Hope that helped, a bit
How does she do overnight?
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!