YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Yorkie Health & Diet
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member
 
capt_noonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Las Vegas & Orange County
Posts: 17,408
Angry Argh! Broken hairs!!!

I'm posting here b/c I think this may be an allergy issue with Uni and not a simple grooming thing. She keeps itching and it's breaking her hairs and that's driving me crazy!

I'm trying to grow out her hair. I want her to have long hair. everyone thinks she's a boy b/c I don't dress her in head to toe pink, it just doesn't suit her LOL. Ok fine, it doesn't suit ME to have her in pink

Anyway, the hairs get all tangled up when she itches, then when I brush them out, trying to be as gentle as possible, tons of hair breaks off and ends up in the comb. The hairs down her spine along the part are literally 1 or 2 inches long! Then the hairs down the side of her body are like 5 or 6 inches long. She gave herself a mullet!!! Also when she scratches her face she breaks hairs out of her clips and makes her look like she has these koopa trooper eyebrows things.

She is now refusing the Ark natural omega oil. I switched her to Wellness less than a week ago, so too soon for any signs of improvement.

Any other tips I could be doing to help her???
__________________
The T.U.B. Pack! Toto, Uni, & Bindi
RIP Lord Scrappington Montgomery McLimpybottom aka El Lenguo the Handicapped Ninja 10-12-12
capt_noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Wylie's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,889
Blog Entries: 2
Default

How old is Uni again?

Besides the face, itching anywhere else? Licking/biting paws? Watery eyes?

It's hard to say...the change to Wellness could help. This sort of reminds of Wylie - when he was younger, omg, it seemed like he was matting SO badly and was more cottony or something. When I switched to cooking, then raw - his coat really changed. But I don't mean you have to switch to that at all...just saying that sometimes, diet does help. Like you mentioned it may take awhile - up to 3 mths possibly.

If this is seasonal/enviro (do you watch pollen.com? ragweed is bad here right now) - you could try some antihistamines and see how that goes. There are different ones you can try - and you'd want to try each for 7-14 days before switching. If you have Childrens Benadryl on hand, you can give 1mg/pound. I have a list of the other antihist. and dosages from my Vet Derm - so I can always get you more options, if needed.

From there, depending on so many things, Atopica, Temaril-P, and steroids come into play. If you think she needs BIG relief and right away, then a steroid shot would be the answer. But, if you think you have time - then I'd vote for waiting for the diet to see, and trying anithists.

What about trying to put the Ark Oil on bread...have you tried that? I may have mentioned that in a previous post. I hope she feels better...I truly know how frustrating this can be...
__________________
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member
 
kalina82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: with my yorkie baby
Posts: 10,141
Blog Entries: 1
Default

business in the front, party in the back! hahahaha sorry Uni i couldn't help myself.
__________________
Kellie and Morgan
kalina82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member
 
kalina82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: with my yorkie baby
Posts: 10,141
Blog Entries: 1
Default

ok, now for my helpful hint, tho i think i may have posted this before to you...could have been someone else tho, i don't really remember.

Morgan wasn't overly fond of the fish oil either So i switched to Coconut oil and she LOVES it so much more. it stopped her chewing at her feet i think.
__________________
Kellie and Morgan
kalina82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Wylie's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,889
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
business in the front, party in the back! hahahaha sorry Uni i couldn't help myself.


LOL. LOVE that saying.
__________________
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member
 
capt_noonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Las Vegas & Orange County
Posts: 17,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
How old is Uni again?

Besides the face, itching anywhere else? Licking/biting paws? Watery eyes?

It's hard to say...the change to Wellness could help. This sort of reminds of Wylie - when he was younger, omg, it seemed like he was matting SO badly and was more cottony or something. When I switched to cooking, then raw - his coat really changed. But I don't mean you have to switch to that at all...just saying that sometimes, diet does help. Like you mentioned it may take awhile - up to 3 mths possibly.

If this is seasonal/enviro (do you watch pollen.com? ragweed is bad here right now) - you could try some antihistamines and see how that goes. There are different ones you can try - and you'd want to try each for 7-14 days before switching. If you have Childrens Benadryl on hand, you can give 1mg/pound. I have a list of the other antihist. and dosages from my Vet Derm - so I can always get you more options, if needed.

From there, depending on so many things, Atopica, Temaril-P, and steroids come into play. If you think she needs BIG relief and right away, then a steroid shot would be the answer. But, if you think you have time - then I'd vote for waiting for the diet to see, and trying anithists.

What about trying to put the Ark Oil on bread...have you tried that? I may have mentioned that in a previous post. I hope she feels better...I truly know how frustrating this can be...
Uni is 2 1/2 years. She scratches mainly on her shoulders and face. On her face it particularly on the sides of her nose (where she gets her "crustables" from her eyes), and up top in her topknot area. I try to block her scratching with my hand as soon as she does it if I can, and then I try to brush out the knot right after as well. Little balls of fur come out. I can see the knotted balls of fur before I even brush. I call them "Noonie Balls" LOL.

Her eyes are not that watery, more boogery. It takes about a week for her to build up "crustables" then it's bath time. I don't know if it's seasonal allergies, I think she's been itchy as far as I can remember, also with the licking of the paws. It's just that now I'm growing out her hair I have noticed the drastic difference between the short and long hairs and it really bothers me.

The Ark oil I have tried it with bread, mixed in cottage cheese, dipped with egg white, now she won't take any of it. Actually the ONLY way she will take it is if I dip it into a hamburger bun that I've ripped off my burger (the side without the sauce) but still, I know that's bad! So I don't really want to do that. I'm sure I would do better without all those burers too LOL.

I don't think I'd try a steroid shot. Her skin is fine, smooth and pinkish, not scabs or bites, so I know it not fleas. She had fleas a while back and I know how her skin looked then, patches of little bumps and scabs.

So Kalina suggested coconut oil. Maybe I will try that. I just hate buying something for $20-30 and she likes it at first, then she changes her mind after a week or two. argh!

Any other tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
__________________
The T.U.B. Pack! Toto, Uni, & Bindi
RIP Lord Scrappington Montgomery McLimpybottom aka El Lenguo the Handicapped Ninja 10-12-12
capt_noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,396
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this, I know they can develop an allergy overnight, and it can be very hard to discover what's causing it. I suppose you know that some dogs are allergic to corn, and it usually shows up in intense itching. I've heard that oatmeal baths can be soothing. I really have no advice, I sure hope you discover what causing it soon, and find her some relief, she such a little doll.
__________________
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member
 
capt_noonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Las Vegas & Orange County
Posts: 17,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this, I know they can develop an allergy overnight, and it can be very hard to discover what's causing it. I suppose you know that some dogs are allergic to corn, and it usually shows up in intense itching. I've heard that oatmeal baths can be soothing. I really have no advice, I sure hope you discover what causing it soon, and find her some relief, she such a little doll.
Thanks Nancy. I don't think it was an overnight thing, she's been doing it for a while. She loves corn, but I don't know if sh'es allergic to it, but most dogs are, so I'm assuming she is too. I switched to Wellness which doesn't have corn. Also I eat wheat bread, and it's really hard not to give her any, I don't. Just those puppy dog eyes! Dang those! LOL

How do you give an oatmeal bath? Other than shampoo with oatmeal, I've never heard of a straight oatmeal bath.
__________________
The T.U.B. Pack! Toto, Uni, & Bindi
RIP Lord Scrappington Montgomery McLimpybottom aka El Lenguo the Handicapped Ninja 10-12-12
capt_noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member
 
kalina82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: with my yorkie baby
Posts: 10,141
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_noonie View Post
Thanks Nancy. I don't think it was an overnight thing, she's been doing it for a while. She loves corn, but I don't know if sh'es allergic to it, but most dogs are, so I'm assuming she is too. I switched to Wellness which doesn't have corn. Also I eat wheat bread, and it's really hard not to give her any, I don't. Just those puppy dog eyes! Dang those! LOL

How do you give an oatmeal bath? Other than shampoo with oatmeal, I've never heard of a straight oatmeal bath.
There are lot of oatmeal shampoos out there. I particularly like Espree shampoo (we use it in our grooming shop too and it works great).

I know what you mean about the coconut oil. it is expensive to try. I wish i could give you a sample of ours if you lived closer.

I would really try to stop giving her the bread, as it might be causing the problem. No grains at all for her for a few months and see what happens. if it doesn't help, then you can go back to giving it to her.

Have you tried giving her benadryl? if so, did it help? If you want to try an antihistamine, you can ask your vet for one. When i worked in general practice the vets prescribed hydroxamine for general allergies a lot. There is also an allergy test you can do (i think it might be over $100 tho) to find out what exactly she is allergic to. If its serious enough, with the results from the test, the company can make an allergy vaccine that needs to be given on a schedule to help Uni get over her allergies. the shot is given every week at first, then every 2, then 3, then 4, then 6, then 8. It does help a lot with a lot of dogs and cats and eventually its only needed every few months. Sometimes if its seasonal allergies the dog will need to get it every few weeks again but then it gets tapered off again.
__________________
Kellie and Morgan
kalina82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,396
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_noonie View Post
Thanks Nancy. I don't think it was an overnight thing, she's been doing it for a while. She loves corn, but I don't know if sh'es allergic to it, but most dogs are, so I'm assuming she is too. I switched to Wellness which doesn't have corn. Also I eat wheat bread, and it's really hard not to give her any, I don't. Just those puppy dog eyes! Dang those! LOL

How do you give an oatmeal bath? Other than shampoo with oatmeal, I've never heard of a straight oatmeal bath.
By saying an allergy can develop overnight, I meant that something that previously didn't cause a problem could start causing problems. I think there is a common misconception that most dogs are allergic to corn, it's considered a common allergy because it's in so many dog foods, and some dogs respond to it, but this doesn't mean most dogs are allergic to it, but since it's common food ingredient, it it's could be causing the allergy. In fact, most dogs aren't allergic to it, but one of the primary symptoms is extreme itching, and so this should be looked at. I'm not sure how long it would take to see an improvement. I would think you would see dramatic improvement as soon as you stopped the food with corn, but there might be a secondary problem of raw or irritated skin from all the previous itching.

People use to use regular oatmeal in baths, it's messy and I don't really know the way to do it, but if you use regular oatmeal, I would suggest putting it in a food processor to break it down first, it might mix with the water better. I was thinking of one of the oatmeal shampoos you buy, I've heard good things about them.
__________________
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member
 
bjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 7,959
Default

Do you use any kind of flea treatments on her? I know those make them scratch. Do you keep her in oil? Is her coat silky? Some coats do break very easily. When I am trying to grow a show coat I add a cap full of the Neutrogena Body Oil to a pint of warm water and I pour that over them after they have been bathed. I work it in and then rinse with warm water. It does not make the coat too oily but it does help protect it.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
Donating YT 2000 Club Member
 
FlDebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 7,651
Default

As for the oatmeal bath, here is a link for a homemade oatmeal bath: Homemade Oatmeal Bath - How to Make Your Own Oatmeal Bath but if I was going to go that route, I would just buy the packets of Aveeno Oatmeal Bath. I have used those for my kids and they do take away the itchies.

This is probably silly to ask because I know you take such good care of Noonie, but are you sure you are rinsing well enough? We have softer water here, and it is very difficult to make sure they are rinsed well enough. I just keep doing it til I think I am done, and then rinse a couple more times. I have had mine itch a little more than usual, and the first thing I do is give them a bath, in case they got into something that is an irritant to them, and to make sure I get them rinsed really well.

Allergies are difficult to pinpoint, could be anything from carpeting, shampoo, food, to outside environmental things. Wish you good luck in narrowing it down. I know I worry when they itch too. You just know that is not comfortable for them.
__________________
FlDebra and her ABCs
Annie, Ben, Candy
Promoting Healthy Breeding to the AKC Yorkshire Terrier Standard
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member
 
capt_noonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Las Vegas & Orange County
Posts: 17,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Do you use any kind of flea treatments on her? I know those make them scratch. Do you keep her in oil? Is her coat silky? Some coats do break very easily. When I am trying to grow a show coat I add a cap full of the Neutrogena Body Oil to a pint of warm water and I pour that over them after they have been bathed. I work it in and then rinse with warm water. It does not make the coat too oily but it does help protect it.
I don't use flea treatments on her. I've rarely seen fleas on her, and if i do, I just give a bath with a flea shampoo and that's the end of them. I don't oil her coat though. that sounds like a good idea, I'll try that. She has a silky soft coat but very thin. That's probably why it breaks so easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlDebra View Post
As for the oatmeal bath, here is a link for a homemade oatmeal bath: Homemade Oatmeal Bath - How to Make Your Own Oatmeal Bath but if I was going to go that route, I would just buy the packets of Aveeno Oatmeal Bath. I have used those for my kids and they do take away the itchies.

This is probably silly to ask because I know you take such good care of Noonie, but are you sure you are rinsing well enough? We have softer water here, and it is very difficult to make sure they are rinsed well enough. I just keep doing it til I think I am done, and then rinse a couple more times. I have had mine itch a little more than usual, and the first thing I do is give them a bath, in case they got into something that is an irritant to them, and to make sure I get them rinsed really well.

Allergies are difficult to pinpoint, could be anything from carpeting, shampoo, food, to outside environmental things. Wish you good luck in narrowing it down. I know I worry when they itch too. You just know that is not comfortable for them.
I'll look into the Aveeno stuff too thanks.

Well I think I rinse her pretty good. I've always rinsed her well b/c I read in my yorkie book that leftover shampoo residue can dull the coat. I think her coat's pretty shiny. It's just the short hairs that are freaking annoying me! argh!
__________________
The T.U.B. Pack! Toto, Uni, & Bindi
RIP Lord Scrappington Montgomery McLimpybottom aka El Lenguo the Handicapped Ninja 10-12-12
capt_noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166