View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_noonie View Post
Thanks Nancy. I don't think it was an overnight thing, she's been doing it for a while. She loves corn, but I don't know if sh'es allergic to it, but most dogs are, so I'm assuming she is too. I switched to Wellness which doesn't have corn. Also I eat wheat bread, and it's really hard not to give her any, I don't. Just those puppy dog eyes! Dang those! LOL

How do you give an oatmeal bath? Other than shampoo with oatmeal, I've never heard of a straight oatmeal bath.
By saying an allergy can develop overnight, I meant that something that previously didn't cause a problem could start causing problems. I think there is a common misconception that most dogs are allergic to corn, it's considered a common allergy because it's in so many dog foods, and some dogs respond to it, but this doesn't mean most dogs are allergic to it, but since it's common food ingredient, it it's could be causing the allergy. In fact, most dogs aren't allergic to it, but one of the primary symptoms is extreme itching, and so this should be looked at. I'm not sure how long it would take to see an improvement. I would think you would see dramatic improvement as soon as you stopped the food with corn, but there might be a secondary problem of raw or irritated skin from all the previous itching.

People use to use regular oatmeal in baths, it's messy and I don't really know the way to do it, but if you use regular oatmeal, I would suggest putting it in a food processor to break it down first, it might mix with the water better. I was thinking of one of the oatmeal shampoos you buy, I've heard good things about them.

Join today and remove this ad!