View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Do you use any kind of flea treatments on her? I know those make them scratch. Do you keep her in oil? Is her coat silky? Some coats do break very easily. When I am trying to grow a show coat I add a cap full of the Neutrogena Body Oil to a pint of warm water and I pour that over them after they have been bathed. I work it in and then rinse with warm water. It does not make the coat too oily but it does help protect it.
I don't use flea treatments on her. I've rarely seen fleas on her, and if i do, I just give a bath with a flea shampoo and that's the end of them. I don't oil her coat though. that sounds like a good idea, I'll try that. She has a silky soft coat but very thin. That's probably why it breaks so easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlDebra View Post
As for the oatmeal bath, here is a link for a homemade oatmeal bath: Homemade Oatmeal Bath - How to Make Your Own Oatmeal Bath but if I was going to go that route, I would just buy the packets of Aveeno Oatmeal Bath. I have used those for my kids and they do take away the itchies.

This is probably silly to ask because I know you take such good care of Noonie, but are you sure you are rinsing well enough? We have softer water here, and it is very difficult to make sure they are rinsed well enough. I just keep doing it til I think I am done, and then rinse a couple more times. I have had mine itch a little more than usual, and the first thing I do is give them a bath, in case they got into something that is an irritant to them, and to make sure I get them rinsed really well.

Allergies are difficult to pinpoint, could be anything from carpeting, shampoo, food, to outside environmental things. Wish you good luck in narrowing it down. I know I worry when they itch too. You just know that is not comfortable for them.
I'll look into the Aveeno stuff too thanks.

Well I think I rinse her pretty good. I've always rinsed her well b/c I read in my yorkie book that leftover shampoo residue can dull the coat. I think her coat's pretty shiny. It's just the short hairs that are freaking annoying me! argh!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!