View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
How old is Uni again?

Besides the face, itching anywhere else? Licking/biting paws? Watery eyes?

It's hard to say...the change to Wellness could help. This sort of reminds of Wylie - when he was younger, omg, it seemed like he was matting SO badly and was more cottony or something. When I switched to cooking, then raw - his coat really changed. But I don't mean you have to switch to that at all...just saying that sometimes, diet does help. Like you mentioned it may take awhile - up to 3 mths possibly.

If this is seasonal/enviro (do you watch pollen.com? ragweed is bad here right now) - you could try some antihistamines and see how that goes. There are different ones you can try - and you'd want to try each for 7-14 days before switching. If you have Childrens Benadryl on hand, you can give 1mg/pound. I have a list of the other antihist. and dosages from my Vet Derm - so I can always get you more options, if needed.

From there, depending on so many things, Atopica, Temaril-P, and steroids come into play. If you think she needs BIG relief and right away, then a steroid shot would be the answer. But, if you think you have time - then I'd vote for waiting for the diet to see, and trying anithists.

What about trying to put the Ark Oil on bread...have you tried that? I may have mentioned that in a previous post. I hope she feels better...I truly know how frustrating this can be...
Uni is 2 1/2 years. She scratches mainly on her shoulders and face. On her face it particularly on the sides of her nose (where she gets her "crustables" from her eyes), and up top in her topknot area. I try to block her scratching with my hand as soon as she does it if I can, and then I try to brush out the knot right after as well. Little balls of fur come out. I can see the knotted balls of fur before I even brush. I call them "Noonie Balls" LOL.

Her eyes are not that watery, more boogery. It takes about a week for her to build up "crustables" then it's bath time. I don't know if it's seasonal allergies, I think she's been itchy as far as I can remember, also with the licking of the paws. It's just that now I'm growing out her hair I have noticed the drastic difference between the short and long hairs and it really bothers me.

The Ark oil I have tried it with bread, mixed in cottage cheese, dipped with egg white, now she won't take any of it. Actually the ONLY way she will take it is if I dip it into a hamburger bun that I've ripped off my burger (the side without the sauce) but still, I know that's bad! So I don't really want to do that. I'm sure I would do better without all those burers too LOL.

I don't think I'd try a steroid shot. Her skin is fine, smooth and pinkish, not scabs or bites, so I know it not fleas. She had fleas a while back and I know how her skin looked then, patches of little bumps and scabs.

So Kalina suggested coconut oil. Maybe I will try that. I just hate buying something for $20-30 and she likes it at first, then she changes her mind after a week or two. argh!

Any other tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!