YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
YT 500 Club Member
 
annaschaben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 532
Default Don't be too quick to judge a breeder

I know that there are a lot of you out there that don't want to purchase a pup with out being able to go to the breeders and see the mom and dad and how the pup is raised. And that there are those of you out there that think that think a breeder isn't reputiable if they don't want you to come to their place; however, I beg of you not to be too quick to judge those breeders that don't want to tell you where they live. I'm sure that all of you have seen the video of the Yorkies getting stolen, and it is becoming more and more common. I know as a breeder that if I have a litter of pups in my home I hate to even run to the store and leave them at home alone for fear that someone could break in and take them.

I think it is going to be more and more common that breeders are going to arrange a pick up spot and deliver pups in order to protect the dogs and themselves.

Also this is a good reason that when you do buy a Yorkie that it does have papers even if you only want it for a pet. Yes papers can be faked and not all dogs with out papers are stolen. But the chances of getting sold a stolen pup (or a pup out of parents that were stolen dogs) are less likely if that dog has papers.
__________________
Anna & Roxy
annaschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 03-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
No Longer a Member
 
sweetr72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,111
Default

A local breeder had that happen a couple years ago...while she went out she had her litter stolen!! Obviously it was someone who had inquired about her yorkie babies...and now she takes everyones drivers licence number when they come to look at her puppies...sad but it has to be done. I hear what your saying even though I STILL want to see both parents when I get a puppy.

Dawn
sweetr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: georgia
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaschaben View Post
I know that there are a lot of you out there that don't want to purchase a pup with out being able to go to the breeders and see the mom and dad and how the pup is raised. And that there are those of you out there that think that think a breeder isn't reputiable if they don't want you to come to their place; however, I beg of you not to be too quick to judge those breeders that don't want to tell you where they live. I'm sure that all of you have seen the video of the Yorkies getting stolen, and it is becoming more and more common. I know as a breeder that if I have a litter of pups in my home I hate to even run to the store and leave them at home alone for fear that someone could break in and take them.

I think it is going to be more and more common that breeders are going to arrange a pick up spot and deliver pups in order to protect the dogs and themselves.

Also this is a good reason that when you do buy a Yorkie that it does have papers even if you only want it for a pet. Yes papers can be faked and not all dogs with out papers are stolen. But the chances of getting sold a stolen pup (or a pup out of parents that were stolen dogs) are less likely if that dog has papers.
I am so glad you posted on this subject because I have been thinking the same way, but wasn't quite sure how to broach the subject. We just had our 1st litter & we live way out in the country. I have worried that when the pups are ready for new homes that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with people coming to my house. Not only would I worry about the pups being stolen but also everything else we own. I had already discussed it with my husband & told him I thought I should pick a place to meet potential buyers. A few years ago I bred Hymalayans. Some one came & bought one of our kittens & went on & on about how beautiful my daddy cat was. She even called later to talk about him more. Well not too long after, he diappeared has not been seen since. I'm almost sure she took him, because when he was outside he never left the porch. He was like a dog, he would only leave the porch to follow me around. I worry that some may think I have something to hide as a breeder but better safe than sorry & I hope when they see the pups they'll feel they are loved & cared for.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: georgia
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetr72 View Post
A local breeder had that happen a couple years ago...while she went out she had her litter stolen!! Obviously it was someone who had inquired about her yorkie babies...and now she takes everyones drivers licence number when they come to look at her puppies...sad but it has to be done. I hear what your saying even though I STILL want to see both parents when I get a puppy.

Dawn
I'll bring the parents with me if I need too. They love to ride. In fact we have to watch that word around our house. R I D E
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
No Longer a Member
 
bornnygurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaschaben View Post
I know that there are a lot of you out there that don't want to purchase a pup with out being able to go to the breeders and see the mom and dad and how the pup is raised. And that there are those of you out there that think that think a breeder isn't reputiable if they don't want you to come to their place; however, I beg of you not to be too quick to judge those breeders that don't want to tell you where they live. I'm sure that all of you have seen the video of the Yorkies getting stolen, and it is becoming more and more common. I know as a breeder that if I have a litter of pups in my home I hate to even run to the store and leave them at home alone for fear that someone could break in and take them.

I think it is going to be more and more common that breeders are going to arrange a pick up spot and deliver pups in order to protect the dogs and themselves.

Also this is a good reason that when you do buy a Yorkie that it does have papers even if you only want it for a pet. Yes papers can be faked and not all dogs with out papers are stolen. But the chances of getting sold a stolen pup (or a pup out of parents that were stolen dogs) are less likely if that dog has papers.
Good post!
bornnygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Donating YT 12K Club Member
 
JeanieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Council Bluffs Iowa
Posts: 12,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetr72 View Post
A local breeder had that happen a couple years ago...while she went out she had her litter stolen!! Obviously it was someone who had inquired about her yorkie babies...and now she takes everyones drivers licence number when they come to look at her puppies...sad but it has to be done. I hear what your saying even though I STILL want to see both parents when I get a puppy.

Dawn

Unfortunately those thieves came with guns, so your friends system would not have worked in that case. Maybe one needs to get a DL# in advance, and personal references.

It's just a scarey thing now days.

I've ordered mine over the internet and have purchased them sight unseen. I was sent pictures of the parents and puppies. The breeder came well reccommended.

If your breeder is not reputable they can show yfou any dog and say it is the parent, so seeing is not always going to be reliable either.

Breeders need to be able to protect themselves. I believe that I would want to meet inside a pet store, and I would take the parents along. That way there are other people there, and you will get to see the parents.

I'm interested in hearing other thought on this matter.

Thank you annaschaben, for starting this thread. perhaps you could do a poll on the subject.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
Love My Furbabies!
Donating Member
 
yorkiegirl83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: somewhere
Posts: 4,427
Default

Great thread. I really do believe it's dangerous letting strangers come into your home these days w/o knowing them at all.

It's sad that that's the world we live in, but we all need to protect ourselves and our families, so I'd totally understand meeting someone outside of their home.

I also would not mind whatsoever giving personal/vet references before I went to someone's home to make them feel more comfortable.
yorkiegirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
No Longer a Member
 
sweetr72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
I'll bring the parents with me if I need too. They love to ride. In fact we have to watch that word around our house. R I D E
I think if I were you I would do the same thing...its really a scary world we live in anymore isnt it?? Remember the good ol' days when we didnt have to even lock our doors??

Dawn
sweetr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
No Longer a Member
 
sweetr72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanieK View Post
Unfortunately those thieves came with guns, so your friends system would not have worked in that case. Maybe one needs to get a DL# in advance, and personal references.

It's just a scarey thing now days.

I've ordered mine over the internet and have purchased them sight unseen. I was sent pictures of the parents and puppies. The breeder came well reccommended.

If your breeder is not reputable they can show yfou any dog and say it is the parent, so seeing is not always going to be reliable either.

Breeders need to be able to protect themselves. I believe that I would want to meet inside a pet store, and I would take the parents along. That way there are other people there, and you will get to see the parents.

I'm interested in hearing other thought on this matter.

Thank you annaschaben, for starting this thread. perhaps you could do a poll on the subject.
I hear what your saying...but Im lost...what guns?? lol

Dawn
sweetr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
BANNED!
 
Sugar's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 9,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaschaben View Post
I know that there are a lot of you out there that don't want to purchase a pup with out being able to go to the breeders and see the mom and dad and how the pup is raised. And that there are those of you out there that think that think a breeder isn't reputiable if they don't want you to come to their place; however, I beg of you not to be too quick to judge those breeders that don't want to tell you where they live. I'm sure that all of you have seen the video of the Yorkies getting stolen, and it is becoming more and more common. I know as a breeder that if I have a litter of pups in my home I hate to even run to the store and leave them at home alone for fear that someone could break in and take them.

I think it is going to be more and more common that breeders are going to arrange a pick up spot and deliver pups in order to protect the dogs and themselves.

Also this is a good reason that when you do buy a Yorkie that it does have papers even if you only want it for a pet. Yes papers can be faked and not all dogs with out papers are stolen. But the chances of getting sold a stolen pup (or a pup out of parents that were stolen dogs) are less likely if that dog has papers.
this is exactly what I wrote somewhere yesterday. People on here are too easy to bad mouth a breeder that doesn't want strangers in their home.
Sugar's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #11
Donating YT 12K Club Member
 
JeanieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Council Bluffs Iowa
Posts: 12,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetr72 View Post
I hear what your saying...but Im lost...what guns?? lol

Dawn
The men who stole those puppies in CA were armed, so I don't think asking them for a DL would have done much good, they most likely would not have cooperated.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #12
Peeka Boo I See You!
Donating Member
 
Amber_lv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 7,161
Blog Entries: 3
Default

I am just in shock over this story and i am terrified to leave my babies alone. This has gotten out of control at christmas here in Utah we had people breaking into the pet stores and stealing the yorkies also i've heard stories about people stealing show yorkies out of their own vans With the popularity and cost of these dogs now you can bet you will here a lot more stories like this. My heart just aches for this family. how can you really protect yourself ya know because yes you could get a drivers licence or meet else where but they could robb you anywhere you meet. This is a sad world we are living in now days.
Amber_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #13
YT 500 Club Member
 
Mommy of Brandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 745
Default

I'm not a breeder and I was having this conversation with a friend before that breeders must be so careful these days......I had suggested that all the breeders take their home addresses off their websites.......my friend (she didn't disagree with me) made the comment that buyers would probably want to see the parents prior to purchasing the a puppy......and she said not showing the parents or where the puppies were breed might indicate puppy mill........BUT!!! I wouldn't blame a breeder for not having potential thieves have their home address.....this world is becoming a crazy place......and you just can't trust people unfortunately.....what a sad way to have to live.....
__________________
The way to mommy's heart is yorkie kisses!!!
Brandi's MySpace
Mommy of Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
Donating YT 12K Club Member
 
JeanieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Council Bluffs Iowa
Posts: 12,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_lv View Post
I am just in shock over this story and i am terrified to leave my babies alone. This has gotten out of control at christmas here in Utah we had people breaking into the pet stores and stealing the yorkies also i've heard stories about people stealing show yorkies out of their own vans With the popularity and cost of these dogs now you can bet you will here a lot more stories like this. My heart just aches for this family. how can you really protect yourself ya know because yes you could get a drivers licence or meet else where but they could robb you anywhere you meet. This is a sad world we are living in now days.
This is true, they could rob you anywhere, but if you went to a public place, such as Petco or Petsmart, or in the Police Department parking lot, chances are they wouldn't pull a gun and take them from you.

Do it in broad daylight in a very public place.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #15
YT 500 Club Member
 
annaschaben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 532
Default

Also if you are in a public with only the pup and its parents, and you got robbed you are just out 1 pup and 2 parent dogs (with I know is a lot), but at least your other pups are safe, other parent dogs, your family pets and most important your family.
__________________
Anna & Roxy
annaschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164