YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > Breeding / Showing / Traveling > Breeder Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Donating YT 2000 Club Member
 
WV~Yorkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WV
Posts: 3,605
Blog Entries: 2
Default Stud service question

I know alot of you don't do it but I am wondering how it works when you do. Do you take payment at the time of breeding or wait until the pups are born?

I have contract that requires payment when I take the bitch. I offer a return service if it does not work. Am I being reasonable?

I think if my stud does his job(he is proven) and I keep the female for several days I have earned the pay. Am I wrong?

Any thoughts?
__________________
Melissa
Wvyorkies
WV~Yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV~Yorkies View Post
I know alot of you don't do it but I am wondering how it works when you do. Do you take payment at the time of breeding or wait until the pups are born?

I have contract that requires payment when I take the bitch. I offer a return service if it does not work. Am I being reasonable?

I think if my stud does his job(he is proven) and I keep the female for several days I have earned the pay. Am I wrong?

Any thoughts?
Payment is due when the bitch is picked up. That is unless you're taking pick of the litter.

A return breeding should be in the contract if a live litter is not produced.

However, additional responsibilities are required of a stud owner: 1. Assistance in whelping should the owner of the bitch requires it. 2. If for some reason a puppy requires rehoming and the bitch's owner cannot take the pup back, it is the responsibility of the stud owner to step in.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
YT Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frisco City AL
Posts: 325
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I would get payment 1st. And alot of people do the pick of litter but after what happen to a friend of my I am not sure I would do that. She stud out her yorkie, let the lady take him to her house, (becuase her little girl does not like other girl dog in her house) any way this ladies friend called her and said she thought her yorkie was in heat and could she take him to her house and use him. She let her, will 60 some days later the 1st lady called to tell her they had 3 puppies but said the her other friends did not take. well.....I was talk to the husband of the 1st lady that she breed to and come to find out the friends dog did take and she only had one puppy so she lied and keep it for herself!!! I would have had to take a drive to the lady's house and she would have had to face me, but my friend let it go.

So what do you do when there is only one puppy??
julietimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Donating YT 2000 Club Member
 
WV~Yorkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WV
Posts: 3,605
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I always offer for them to back up and pay the stud fee if they do not want to give me the only pup.

I don't really like to do pick of the litter. The last one i did ruined it for me. I didn't get the pick of the litter she sold it before I even picked mine. Then it was like pulling teeth getting the puppy. I had to go to her house and praticaly take it. I really never thought that would happen. I talked with the lady through out the pregnacy and was even on the phone at birth. Went to see the pups several times.
__________________
Melissa
Wvyorkies
WV~Yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietimothy View Post
I would get payment 1st. And alot of people do the pick of litter but after what happen to a friend of my I am not sure I would do that. She stud out her yorkie, let the lady take him to her house, (becuase her little girl does not like other girl dog in her house) any way this ladies friend called her and said she thought her yorkie was in heat and could she take him to her house and use him. She let her, will 60 some days later the 1st lady called to tell her they had 3 puppies but said the her other friends did not take. well.....I was talk to the husband of the 1st lady that she breed to and come to find out the friends dog did take and she only had one puppy so she lied and keep it for herself!!! I would have had to take a drive to the lady's house and she would have had to face me, but my friend let it go.

So what do you do when there is only one puppy??
First of all the bitch always comes to the home of the stud. I would never let my boys out of my sight. My studs are championed so, I'm extra cautious.

If there is only one puppy, and the contract says pic of the litter your only option is to give the pup to the stud owner or pay the stud fee. That is if is agreeable to both parties.

My dogs aren't for public stud, unless I know the owners of a bitch on a personal level, usually only with fellow exhibitors that are well known to me , approved bitches (pedigree) and have been cleared through my mentor.

I have used my mentors studs and the breeding only producing one female, which is usually what my mentor wants. She usually forgoes her pic and tells me she'll wait until the next litter that will produce more than one female. That is why it is only best to do business with those you know on a personal level.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
YT Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frisco City AL
Posts: 325
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
First of all the bitch always comes to the home of the stud. I would never let my boys out of my sight. My studs are championed so, I'm extra cautious.

If there is only one puppy, and the contract says pic of the litter your only option is to give the pup to the stud owner or pay the stud fee. That is if is agreeable to both parties.

My dogs aren't for public stud, unless I know the owners of a bitch on a personal level, usually only with fellow exhibitors that are well known to me , approved bitches (pedigree) and have been cleared through my mentor.

I have used my mentors studs and the breeding only producing one female, which is usually what my mentor wants. She usually forgoes her pic and tells me she'll wait until the next litter that will produce more than one female. That is why it is only best to do business with those you know on a personal level.

You are so right, I tried my best to tell her not to let me go anywhere. But at the time she has 3 dogs, had her mom living with her after knee sugery with her teenage 1/2 sister and her moms 2 dogs, her on 2 kids and husband. Her house was full!!!!!

Oh, she did not even my the females she breed him to have any testing done. You try to tell people but..... what ever. At one time she was calling to check on him and no one would call her back and she did not know where the lady lived.
julietimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietimothy View Post
You are so right, I tried my best to tell her not to let me go anywhere. But at the time she has 3 dogs, had her mom living with her after knee sugery with her teenage 1/2 sister and her moms 2 dogs, her on 2 kids and husband. Her house was full!!!!!

Oh, she did not even my the females she breed him to have any testing done. You try to tell people but..... what ever. At one time she was calling to check on him and no one would call her back and she did not know where the lady lived.
We're a bit off in left field, but maybe people reading this will learn


Then my opinion and it is a bit harsh, this friend of yours has no concern for her dogs.....and she got a bit of what she deserved. There is a lot of responsibility that goes with owning dogs, especially if you breed and/or allow your dogs to be used for public stud. I guess she was unconcerned about her stud's contracting a disease.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
YT Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frisco City AL
Posts: 325
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
We're a bit off in left field, but maybe people reading this will learn


Then my opinion and it is a bit harsh, this friend of yours has no concern for her dogs.....and she got a bit of what she deserved. There is a lot of responsibility that goes with owning dogs, especially if you breed and/or allow your dogs to be used for public stud. I guess she was unconcerned about her stud's contracting a disease.
you are right, I thought the same thing. Just because you are good friends with someone it does not mean you think a like and always see eye to eye. I try to tell her about disease and what could happen, but I could not make her understand. You are right about the getting off of the 1st post, but it is what people need to know can happen.

Last edited by julietimothy; 07-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
julietimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
danyellm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 761
Default

In figuring out a stud fee,does it equal the cost of 1 puppy or do you charge more or less?
__________________
Danyell yipyapyorkies.com
Getting a Yorkie is our only chance to choose a relative
danyellm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyellm View Post
In figuring out a stud fee,does it equal the cost of 1 puppy or do you charge more or less?
Usually equal the cost of a pup. However, if the stud used is a Champion and has produced Champions....the stud fee could be considerably more.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
BANNED!
 
Sugar's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 9,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyellm View Post
In figuring out a stud fee,does it equal the cost of 1 puppy or do you charge more or less?
When I first started inquiring about a stud years ago on here, people told me that if a breeder tries to get the price of a pup for a stud fee, run like you know what. back then puppies were selling as pets for 1,500. But it sounds reasonable to me now.
Sugar's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar's Mom View Post
When I first started inquiring about a stud years ago on here, people told me that if a breeder tries to get the price of a pup for a stud fee, run like you know what. back then puppies were selling as pets for 1,500. But it sounds reasonable to me now.
If you think about it, it is reasonable, coming from a top breeder with excellent lines. Especially, if you produce a healthy litter of 5 pups and especially if one is a female that meets the standard, you're going to Champion her and keep her in your breeding program.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
YT Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frisco City AL
Posts: 325
Blog Entries: 1
Default

the stud fee is lower most of the time around here, and I have even seen Champion's studed out for cheaper than what a puppy would cost. Most around here is $500 or pick of litter. many years ago my husband had a Bulldog, they run $1500 and up, we breed her with a Champion and it was cheaper for me to pay the fee of $500 then a puppy.
julietimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #14
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietimothy View Post
the stud fee is lower most of the time around here, and I have even seen Champion's studed out for cheaper than what a puppy would cost. Most around here is $500 or pick of litter. many years ago my husband had a Bulldog, they run $1500 and up, we breed her with a Champion and it was cheaper for me to pay the fee of $500 then a puppy.
I would see that it would be in Alabama.....

I've seen stud fee's on the top yorkie studs above $,1500.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #15
YT Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frisco City AL
Posts: 325
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
I would see that it would be in Alabama.....

I've seen stud fee's on the top yorkie studs above $,1500.
Not for sure what you mean by that but>>>>> She is ask about studing out her male right?? which is not a Champion, he may come from Champion lines but so does mine. His mom was from Lake Buean Vista and his dad had Big Champions all though his pedigree over 35 Champion on just his dad's pedigree, which I think is a great pedigree. But even with Ace's great pedigree I would and could not charge the same fee as a Champion him self. So when setting a fee for stud you have to look at the stud in question, is it a Champion or not. What kind of pedigree the stud has? The look of the stud and so on. There can not be a set price for a stud fee because you have show dogs and not show dogs. You have some that could be show dogs but is not being shown. So the question is what do you think she should charge for her stud to be studed out??
That is what she is asking right, studing her stud out??
julietimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159