YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Yorkie Health & Diet
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
YT Addict
 
drabinowitz43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 490
Default Prozac for dogs?

Many people have suggested that I try prozac for my rescue Yorkie who still won't let anyone care for him except me. If anyone else in our house tries to walk him, he begins to panic and poop on the spot, or worse, he will snap at my daughter out of fear. It has not really improved in the three months we've had him. We know he came from a puppy mill and was first adopted into an abusive home, but no one knows for sure what this poor baby has been through. He is extremely devoted to me and sticks to me like glue. Has anyone tried this for dogs with this behavior? I know he also needs training, but I really can't afford a professional trainer right now.
__________________
Donna, Sadie, Joey and Nicky (and Buddy the cockatiel)
drabinowitz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Donating YT 1000 Club Member
 
maxmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,305
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabinowitz43 View Post
Many people have suggested that I try prozac for my rescue Yorkie who still won't let anyone care for him except me. If anyone else in our house tries to walk him, he begins to panic and poop on the spot, or worse, he will snap at my daughter out of fear. It has not really improved in the three months we've had him. We know he came from a puppy mill and was first adopted into an abusive home, but no one knows for sure what this poor baby has been through. He is extremely devoted to me and sticks to me like glue. Has anyone tried this for dogs with this behavior? I know he also needs training, but I really can't afford a professional trainer right now.
Wow! So many days and not 1 reply! Im sorry to hear what you and your new furkid are going through. I have not experience on this, but wanted to wish you luck .Bless your heart for caring for this baby.
__________________
maxmom
My belongs
to Max and Sophie Mei
maxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
YT Addict
 
mingtoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 496
Default

Peoples who use drugs with rescued dogs shouldn't have one at all .
mingtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
Lolasmom1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 664
Default

Whoa....I don't know that you can make a blanket statement like that. We have not walked in her shoes nor have we encountered the problems that she is trying to deal with. I have two little yorkies, one that flies perfect and gives me no trouble at all. People used to ask me if I gave her drugs before we flew, and I told them "no", always wondering who would ever drug their dogs just to fly. Well, my daughter has 2 babies that she is totally devoted to, one that gets so stressed when she has to fly with him, that he will bark, whine, cry, twist and turn for the total 3 hours until he makes himself sick all over the flight bag. He arrrives totally stressed and exhausted. He really gets so upset that it's not healthy. Her vet told her to simply give him 1/4 of a pill before they fly, it calms him down - he flys contently and arrives happily like his brother. It's a much better plan than to have him anxious, sick and covered in vomit when they get off the airplane. I think you have to look at each situation and make judgements accordingly. No, it's not ideal to have to use drugs...but sometimes these babies weren't brought to us in ideal situations and maybe things will improve over time. If we can help them transition a little more smoothly, I see nothing wrong with that. Just my 2 cents...for what it's worth!
Lolasmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
YorkieTalk Newbie!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 5
Animal Smiley 049

Hi

Who advised you of this?

I hope she settles down, it sounds more of trauma than depression. Without a doubt has problems bonding, luckily she has taken to you.
Be patient,. and be with her all the time if you can, for now, gradually she will build her trust up with others.
I personally would try and 'allow' others to enter mine and her space for short periods only. Give it time, and baby steps.

I do worry that medication can make things worse in the long term.

Best of luck xxxx
mollandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
YT Addict
 
yorkiejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabinowitz43 View Post
Many people have suggested that I try prozac for my rescue Yorkie who still won't let anyone care for him except me. If anyone else in our house tries to walk him, he begins to panic and poop on the spot, or worse, he will snap at my daughter out of fear. It has not really improved in the three months we've had him. We know he came from a puppy mill and was first adopted into an abusive home, but no one knows for sure what this poor baby has been through. He is extremely devoted to me and sticks to me like glue. Has anyone tried this for dogs with this behavior? I know he also needs training, but I really can't afford a professional trainer right now.
Have you tried having someone else hold the leash while you go along?
Or your daughter setting the food down for her? Or she sets the dish and you fill it? Try combining you that she trusts with activities involving others.

Above all, everyone needs to be safe, so if these are not safe suggestions, speak to your vet about a mild sedative, to help for the short term transition.

Good luck!
__________________
Bentley's Mommy is a Yorkie Junkie...
yorkiejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member
 
livingdustmops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollandmax View Post
Hi

Who advised you of this?

I hope she settles down, it sounds more of trauma than depression. Without a doubt has problems bonding, luckily she has taken to you.
Be patient,. and be with her all the time if you can, for now, gradually she will build her trust up with others.
I personally would try and 'allow' others to enter mine and her space for short periods only. Give it time, and baby steps.

I do worry that medication can make things worse in the long term.

Best of luck xxxx
I agree with this post. Who did you adopt her from? I am concerned you have children in the house (how old?).

Many rescues that have been in abusive homes need the home of very quiet people and it can take years to get over some of the abuse.

During my rescue years I have never had anyone suggest giving a dog drugs so I question this advise big time. It is not a quality of life for her if she is stressed and frightened all the time.
__________________
Cindy & The Rescued Gang
Puppies Are Not Products!
livingdustmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdustmops View Post
I agree with this post. Who did you adopt her from? I am concerned you have children in the house (how old?).

Many rescues that have been in abusive homes need the home of very quiet people and it can take years to get over some of the abuse.

During my rescue years I have never had anyone suggest giving a dog drugs so I question this advise big time. It is not a quality of life for her if she is stressed and frightened all the time.
Agree! I wanted to add though they do have forms of acupuncture for dogs. I know that can calm them down. And Rescue Remedy is an all-natural "medicine" that can sometimes help calm them down. But it sounds like you're dealing with a pretty bad case.
__________________
~ Brit & Lights! Camera! Jackson! CGC ETD TKP ~
Follow Jackson on Instagram: https://instagram.com/jacksontheterrier
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
YT Addict
 
drabinowitz43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdustmops View Post
I agree with this post. Who did you adopt her from? I am concerned you have children in the house (how old?).

Many rescues that have been in abusive homes need the home of very quiet people and it can take years to get over some of the abuse.

During my rescue years I have never had anyone suggest giving a dog drugs so I question this advise big time. It is not a quality of life for her if she is stressed and frightened all the time.
I have had Nicky for three months. Let me point out, that he lives in a very calm and loving home. My children are 14 and 11 and are very gentle. We have two other Yorkies who have been with us since puppies and they are fine. We do continue trying different combinations. She gives him treats and puts the food down and takes walks with us. If she takes the leash, he starts to shake and doesn't want to walk. He sleeps snuggled with me and is very comfortable in our home. He will even sit on my daughter's lap for short periods. No one but me can lift him or take him out. I am continuing to try behavior therapy.I am not giving up on him and wasn't looking for a crutch. This poor dog obviously suffered great abuse, but he has a wonderful home.
__________________
Donna, Sadie, Joey and Nicky (and Buddy the cockatiel)
drabinowitz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member
 
livingdustmops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Agree! I wanted to add though they do have forms of acupuncture for dogs. I know that can calm them down. And Rescue Remedy is an all-natural "medicine" that can sometimes help calm them down. But it sounds like you're dealing with a pretty bad case.
I was not aware that acupuncture could help stress...I will read up on this. Rescue Remedy has a lot of alcohal in it or it did but again I just don't agree with drugging any animal all the time.

I would bring in a behavorist to see what the issues are..
__________________
Cindy & The Rescued Gang
Puppies Are Not Products!
livingdustmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
YT Addict
 
drabinowitz43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingtoy View Post
Peoples who use drugs with rescued dogs shouldn't have one at all .
People who have nothing positive to add to a post should keep their mouths shut and stay off my thread.
__________________
Donna, Sadie, Joey and Nicky (and Buddy the cockatiel)
drabinowitz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
Lolasmom1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabinowitz43 View Post
I have had Nicky for three months. Let me point out, that he lives in a very calm and loving home. My children are 14 and 11 and are very gentle. We have two other Yorkies who have been with us since puppies and they are fine. We do continue trying different combinations. She gives him treats and puts the food down and takes walks with us. If she takes the leash, he starts to shake and doesn't want to walk. He sleeps snuggled with me and is very comfortable in our home. He will even sit on my daughter's lap for short periods. No one but me can lift him or take him out. I am continuing to try behavior therapy.I am not giving up on him and wasn't looking for a crutch. This poor dog obviously suffered great abuse, but he has a wonderful home.
It sounds like he has a wonderful home. You are a kind person for trying to help this baby. You have done much, much more than most us of us to help this little rescue. I am sneding positive thoughts and yorkie hugs your way....what a lucky little guy he is to have found you and your family!
Lolasmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
YT Addict
 
drabinowitz43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 490
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolasmom1211 View Post
It sounds like he has a wonderful home. You are a kind person for trying to help this baby. You have done much, much more than most us of us to help this little rescue. I am sneding positive thoughts and yorkie hugs your way....what a lucky little guy he is to have found you and your family!
Thank you, you are very kind.
__________________
Donna, Sadie, Joey and Nicky (and Buddy the cockatiel)
drabinowitz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
YT 3000 Club Member
 
luvfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 3,691
Default

Mingtoy...I take exception to your comment. As should a LOT of people.

To the OP...I'm just seening this but FYI my Vet prescribed it to MY rescue on a short term basis. We can't know everything that our pups have gone through before they came to us & sometimes they need something to help them adjust to a loving home. It helped Sophie, who is now weaned off of it & takes Acepromazine when her anxiety needs to be managed. She takes 1/4 of a tablet which doesn't dope her up. Ask your Vet if he thinks it will work for your little guy. ALSO you need to get some books on how to desenitize him. One big thing is to have others take care of his day to day needs.

Bless ya for taking him into your home & be patient. Just know that it doesn't always work out.
__________________
Elizabeth - mommy to...Keegan & Sweet Sophie
RIP Duncan (the cat who wanted to be a dog) & Clarence

Last edited by luvfla; 12-11-2009 at 11:41 AM.
luvfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
YT Addict
 
drabinowitz43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvfla View Post
Mingtoy...I take exception to your comment. As should a LOT of people.

To the OP...I'm just seening this but FYI my Vet prescribed it to MY rescue on a short term basis. We can't know everything that our pups have gone through before they came to us & sometimes they need something to help them adjust to a loving home. It helped Sophie, who is now weaned off of it & takes Acepromazine when her anxiety needs to be managed. She takes 1/4 of a tablet which doesn't dope her up. Ask your Vet if he thinks it will work for your little guy. ALSO you need to get some books on how to desenitize him. One big thing is to have others take care of his day to day needs.

Bless ya for taking him into your home & be patient. Just know that it doesn't always work out.
That is what my vet recommended one-quarter tablet. That's why I started my thread. It was my vet's idea, not mine, and I wanted to hear if anyone else had experience with this medication. I am not one to push drugs at all, but I come home at lunch everyday to walk him because I am the only one who can and it is taking a toll on my work at the office. Before I had some help with dog walking from my kids and a dog walker. I guess I am not sure how far to push to let someone take over this responsiblilty sometimes. He begins to poop whereever he is standing or even if he is held, and then the growling. I am going to do some research into some behavior conditioning as well. The prozac was only for the short run. Your post was very helpful to me as now I know it is an option. Thanks.
__________________
Donna, Sadie, Joey and Nicky (and Buddy the cockatiel)
drabinowitz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166