YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Yorkie Health & Diet
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Yorkie Talker
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 14
Default Neutering/Baby Teeth Surgery



This Wednesday my Yorkie goes in to have surgery to get neutered and have some baby teeth removed. I am hoping that the vet will give me some afterwards care when he sends Cooper home, and I'm assuming he will because our vet is very thorough and caring.

Just curious what any of you have experienced with this surgery with your yorkies and how your puppies handled the surgery. How long did it take for them to recooperate. Cooper is still in the potty training phase. Once we think we have him potty trained he takes two steps backwards (we end up going on a trip or camping somewhere and it messes his scedule all up).


Cooper five months.


Julie
__________________
Cooper: Patrol Dog who keeps our two cats in line
KingCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member
 
kalina82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: with my yorkie baby
Posts: 10,141
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Morgan was spayed at 6 months and weight a little less then 3lbs. She also had 6 teeth removed. I took her in in the morning and brought her home around 4. by 7-8 when we were eating sushi for dinner she was her normal food begging self. I gave her the pain meds the next day but after that she didn't need them.
__________________
Kellie and Morgan
kalina82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,396
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I think males tend to have it a little easier with this surgery than females; it's not as invasive. Joey had pain medication, but it made him hyper and vet recommended we take him off it. He seemed to do well a couple of days after surgery. Many people do have some potty training setbacks about this time, but don't get discouraged, all of a sudden they start to get it.
__________________
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member
 
lovespandp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ca
Posts: 10,026
Default

I got Peanut Neutered at 4 months, so at the time I didn't have them pull his teeth I wanted to wait to see what was going to happen..That is GREAT you are doing it at the same time!!

Peanut took his neuter sx really bad, The day he came home he was completey out of it! He was shaking and sore and just not him. I let him sleep with us so he didn't have to wear his cone and I could keep and eye on him He was very uncomfortable..The next day he just slept...still didn't want to eat or move for that matter.. I think about the 3rd day he was acting normal.I just had to baby him

Some dogs take it well and some dogs don't.

If you can try to be there for him as much as you can...you never know how they will react to the sx
__________________
"People with nothing to hide don't usually feel the need to say so."
lovespandp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Yorkie Talker
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 14
Default

Hearing all of your experiences have been very helpful. It is reassuring to know that some dogs fair well with it while some dogs don't. It must be a hit or miss with the surgery and the temperment of each dog.

My dog is a big baby so I'm guessing he will end up being a huge baby after the surgery. He can't handle getting his feet wet when the grass is wet or get wet when it rains. I don't know what we are going to do this winter when it snows when he has to go potty?! LOL That will be quite a challenge.

I'm a stay-at-home-mom so I'll be able to baby and keep an eye on him after his surgery if he doesn't handle it very well. The hardest thing will trying to keep our two elementary sons who are rough with the puppy along with all the neighborhood kids from handling him. I'll have to just crate him and have him completely off limits to all of the kids.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Julie
__________________
Cooper: Patrol Dog who keeps our two cats in line
KingCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member
 
lovespandp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ca
Posts: 10,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCooper View Post
Hearing all of your experiences have been very helpful. It is reassuring to know that some dogs fair well with it while some dogs don't. It must be a hit or miss with the surgery and the temperment of each dog.

My dog is a big baby so I'm guessing he will end up being a huge baby after the surgery. He can't handle getting his feet wet when the grass is wet or get wet when it rains. I don't know what we are going to do this winter when it snows when he has to go potty?! LOL That will be quite a challenge.

I'm a stay-at-home-mom so I'll be able to baby and keep an eye on him after his surgery if he doesn't handle it very well. The hardest thing will trying to keep our two elementary sons who are rough with the puppy along with all the neighborhood kids from handling him. I'll have to just crate him and have him completely off limits to all of the kids.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Julie
Yup it is really hard to tell how they will react..my friends male yorkie acted like nothing even happen to him! He was fine about 2 hours after the SX!!! So good luck and let us know how it goes. If you have any questions on how he is acting let us know!

That is great you are able to stay at home with him!! It makes all the difference. Maybe you can find him some shoes for the winter!!
__________________
"People with nothing to hide don't usually feel the need to say so."
lovespandp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
YorkieTalk Newbie!
 
Baxterino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6
Default

Baxter just got neutered and 6 baby teeth pulled on Friday. I took him in at 9 am and picked him up around 4 pm. When I walked into the vet you could hear him yelping in the back but I think he just wanted his mommy because it stopped when he saw me He was a little out of it Friday night but Saturday morning he woke up and was back to his old ways. It has been really hard to contain him and keep him from running and jumping around, which they told me to do for 10-14 days.

You would never know he just had surgery - he is taking it really well. He just hates the e-collar but really only wears it when I am not around...he hasn't tried to mess with the stitches yet but I put it on him if I leave just to be safe. I joke that, because he doesn't move when I put it on him, he is going to be standing in the same spot I left him in just staring at the wall when I get back
Baxterino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,396
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxterino View Post
Baxter just got neutered and 6 baby teeth pulled on Friday. I took him in at 9 am and picked him up around 4 pm. When I walked into the vet you could hear him yelping in the back but I think he just wanted his mommy because it stopped when he saw me He was a little out of it Friday night but Saturday morning he woke up and was back to his old ways. It has been really hard to contain him and keep him from running and jumping around, which they told me to do for 10-14 days.

You would never know he just had surgery - he is taking it really well. He just hates the e-collar but really only wears it when I am not around...he hasn't tried to mess with the stitches yet but I put it on him if I leave just to be safe. I joke that, because he doesn't move when I put it on him, he is going to be standing in the same spot I left him in just staring at the wall when I get back
Lol, that's so funny! Get the camera out! When they won't move is a great time to take pictures, and while you may think he doesn't look that great now, someday you will look back and think it's the cutest picture ever!

I'm glad his surgery went well, and Joey's vet said that he didn't have to wear the collar, and I could just put clear deodorant around the incision spot, and this would discourage licking. Some people choose to have them wear baby's one-piece "onesies" so that they can't reach the spot. I wish I'd known about the onesies because after a few days he really needed a bath, but you have to wait 2 weeks with dissolvable stitches.
__________________

Last edited by Nancy1999; 08-26-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
Yorkie Talker
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 14
Default

Hi everyone!

Cooper came out of surgery better than I thought he would. He is very groggy still. Today he ate like he never has before which I thought was odd. He isn't usually a big eater and I normally have all I can do to get him to eat his meals.

They didn't pull his baby teeth because his adult teeth hadn't came through yet. He has to go back to the vet in 2 months for a check up to see where his teeth are at that time to determine that issue.

Cooper tried to run up the stairs and follow me. He got half way and stopped. I didn't realize he was behind me. I picked him up and put him back in his crate. He has either layed with me or stayed in his crate all day. He normally is very loving and cuddly with me but since the surgery he is very distant and scared of me. My husband thinks it is becuase I'm the person who took him to the vet to 'remove his manhood'. Poor doggie! I just feel terrible! I hope he feels better soon. Keeping him from being active will be very hard this weekend.

He hasn't gone potty or drank much which concerns me. He has gone #2 though. I'm going to call the vet.

Julie
__________________
Cooper: Patrol Dog who keeps our two cats in line
KingCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,396
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCooper View Post
Hi everyone!

Cooper came out of surgery better than I thought he would. He is very groggy still. Today he ate like he never has before which I thought was odd. He isn't usually a big eater and I normally have all I can do to get him to eat his meals.

They didn't pull his baby teeth because his adult teeth hadn't came through yet. He has to go back to the vet in 2 months for a check up to see where his teeth are at that time to determine that issue.

Cooper tried to run up the stairs and follow me. He got half way and stopped. I didn't realize he was behind me. I picked him up and put him back in his crate. He has either layed with me or stayed in his crate all day. He normally is very loving and cuddly with me but since the surgery he is very distant and scared of me. My husband thinks it is becuase I'm the person who took him to the vet to 'remove his manhood'. Poor doggie! I just feel terrible! I hope he feels better soon. Keeping him from being active will be very hard this weekend.

He hasn't gone potty or drank much which concerns me. He has gone #2 though. I'm going to call the vet.

Julie
When dogs aren't feeling well, they prefer being left alone. Steps are really hard for them the first few days too. Don't let hubby get to you, you only need one man in the house anyway, and Cooper can be your little boy! Death due to injuries related to car accident are the number one cause of death in unneutered males, and you now won't have to worry about Cooper going out and finding another woman! He'll probably be his old self in a couple of days!
__________________
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Faerie54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene Oregon
Posts: 58
Default Mr Darcy's experience

Mr Darcy was neutered, 4 baby teeth pulled and micro chipped. Pain meds were not necessary and he ate as usual. No stitches, they used glue and he seemed his normal crazy self when I went in to bring him home. I'd gotten up early to take him in and was stressed and exhausted. Mr Darcy wanted to play into the night.........
__________________
Mr. Darcy and Jackson
my two little partners in grime......
forever missing sweet McKennitt & Jack, dancing in the stars
Faerie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
Yorkie Talker
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 14
Default

Everyone here is so helpful. All of your experiences with the surgery of your yorkies have been very helpful. The posts have helped me be more understanding, careful and baby our Cooper the way he needs to be so he can heal back to normal.

He is seeming to his old self today. Very spunky, alert and eating again. He is doing much better than I thought he would do.

How is Baxter doing? Baxter had quite a surgery. He had the surgery that Cooper was suppose to have: Both neutering and teeth removed. Hope he is doing okay.

Thank you all again! Have a great day~
__________________
Cooper: Patrol Dog who keeps our two cats in line
KingCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
BANNED!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCooper View Post


This Wednesday my Yorkie goes in to have surgery to get neutered and have some baby teeth removed. I am hoping that the vet will give me some afterwards care when he sends Cooper home, and I'm assuming he will because our vet is very thorough and caring.

Just curious what any of you have experienced with this surgery with your yorkies and how your puppies handled the surgery. How long did it take for them to recooperate. Cooper is still in the potty training phase. Once we think we have him potty trained he takes two steps backwards (we end up going on a trip or camping somewhere and it messes his scedule all up).


Cooper five months.


Julie
i had a great experience with spay but not so good with neuter and my boy lost 10 baby teeth -- make sure to get a pain shot and pain meds as the vet we went to did not do this and i was up all night with my guy as i was a new dog owner and did not know about er or we would have went to er that night i went in at 7 am and they gave him a shot and he was ok after that. I was not happy and switched vets and my girl's spay went great with new vet and only one tooth pulled
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166