YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Yorkie Health & Diet
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Yorkie Yakker
 
Johanna317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Posts: 25
Default Pet Insurance?

So I'm going to be a first time Mommy and I'm looking into all aspects of making sure my baby is provided for. I've read a lot of people's opinions on pet insurance, and wanted to get some from YT. Do you think pet insurance is worth it?? Does any body here have pet insurance??

Appreciate any opinion!! Thanks.

JG

Last edited by Johanna317; 02-23-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Johanna317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Donating YT 10K Club Member
 
MyFairLacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 11,003
Default

I was planning to get Pet Plan insurance last fall and never did it...and now I definitely wish I had because I'm facing some pretty high vet bills. It's definitely worth it if your dog ever gets sick or injured
__________________
~Magnifique Yorkies~
Purchasing from backyard breeders, pet shops, and puppymills perpetuates the suffering of other dogs.
Educate yourself and buy from reputable breeders or rescue.
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Donating YT 30K Club Member
 
Patti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 35,509
Blog Entries: 6
Default

I have VPI on all 3 of mine and it is worth the peace of mind knowing it will help with high vet bills. I pay 22.00 a month for each one. I just took Cali to the ER vet last night and the bill was 185.00 for just a visit and 2 injections, hopefully the insurance will reimburse close to 100.00. I have used it alot on Cali and definately glad I have it.
__________________
Cali Pixie Roxie : RIP Nikki; RIP Maya;RIP my sweet Dixie girl 1/17/08
http://callipuppyscastle.bravehost.com/index.html
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
SRD
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
SRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orlando
Posts: 490
Default

if you are getting a puppy I think its def. worthwhile to go with insurance. a lot of plans cover vaccinations, heartworm testings, flea control preventative, spay/neuter, etc. to get you started. but make sure you find a good ins. company though!
we do have VPI as well but Im thinking about switching. my neighbor's had some real bad experience with them, it took them forever to respond, and when they respond they would request information from the vet over and over to make sure its not pre-existing condition, after the vet has assured them it was something that happened suddenly, they still didn't want to pay. then my neighbor filed a claim with state insurance commission and right after that she got reimbursed. a week later, my neighbor has received a letter from VPI stating that her dog was dropped from the plan due to misrepresentation at enrollment!!!
__________________
Mommymy princesses Shorty & Dolly
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
♥I Luv my BaileyBlue♥
Donating Member
 
chandracz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna317 View Post
So I'm going to be a first time Mommy and I'm looking into all aspects of making sure my baby is provided for. I've read a lot of people's opinions on pet insurance, and wanted to get some from YT. Do you think pet insurance is worth it?? Does any body here have pet insurance??

Appreciate any opinion!! Thanks.

JG
I have Bailey on Pet insurance. A lot of people think it's silly, but I ignore them. I think it's soooooo worth it. The incident that helped seal the deal with me was when I almost lost Bailey when he was about a year old. One day he got suddenly sick for no reason. He coudn't stomach his food. He couldn't keep it in or down. I took him to the vet and put him on some medicine. I had to take him back in to the ER later that night. He was a very sick boy and the vet wanted to keep him overnight. I made the decision to take him home with me, but we put an IV bag under his skin. I stayed up all night with him, putting drops of water on his tongue, petting him, talking to him holding him and giving him his meds as needed. The next morning he was better and he slowly got better. He will be on special food for the rest of his life but it's worth it because I have him. Even though he didn't stay overnight at the Vet's office, the many visit's there for follow up's and the meds he was on were very expensive! Had I had insurance for him, that would have helped out financially. The only downfall with Pet insurance is it does not cover pre existing conditions. So if Bailey were to have another episode like the one he had when he was when he was one year old it wouldn't be covered. BUT if GOD FORBID something else happened to him that isn't pre existing it would be covered. There are also policies that cover preventative vet visits too. I personally think pet insurance is a great idea and encourage it!!!
__________________
Chandra, Bailey Blue's mama
chandracz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
TOY
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
TOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,094
Blog Entries: 4
Default

I am getting pet insurance just for peace of mind. We are both retired and as such are on a fixed income. We can easily support the routine care of a Yorkie but not unexpected illness.

It is one of the things we plan to buy for our Yorkie and hope we never have to use!

I have been researching pet insurances for several months now and I have chosen Pet Plan with about a 98% certainty. I have a few other plans to still check but I like what I see in Pet Plan.

Under this plan your pet can be covered for life. Some of the fine print in other policies show coverage stops at about age 8 or so. Since Yorkies have a long life expectancy, I felt it was important to insure we could continue coverage.

This plan also covers hereditary diseases and conditions. We are getting great bloodlines in the ancestry of our Yorkie but after reading Yorkietalk, I have some concerns about the overall general health of this breed. I think we have chosen our breeder with the utmost caution and considered prenatal care as well as post birth. However, illnesses and problems can happen to even those with the best bloodlines.

The greatest selling point to me though is that this is the only plan I have studied that allows me to choose the deductible I want to pay prior to their coverage. Not only that, but it also allows me to chose what percentage of coverage I want them to assume after I meet the deductible. Most policies offer only 80% coverage and no more.

In an effort to help stress their belief in the importance of microchipping a pet, they offer a discount for such. They also offer a discount for purchasing the policy over the internet and other possible discounts, too, such as discounts for dogs who are service animals.

There are quite a few policies available for pets nowadays. I would encourage you to look at the small print very carefully. It is somewhat tricky and possibly what works for one household will not be the best for another.

Good luck! You are wise in giving yourself time for research.

Last edited by TOY; 02-23-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: LOL...my computer cannot spell tonight!
TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
♥I Luv my BaileyBlue♥
Donating Member
 
chandracz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOY View Post
I am getting pet insurance just for peace of mind. We are both retired and as such are on a fixed income. We can easily support the routine care of a Yorkie but not unexpected illness.

It is one of the things we plan to buy for our Yorkie and hope we never have to use!

I have been researching pet insurances for several months now and I have chosen Pet Plan with about a 98% certainty. I have a few other plans to still check but I like what I see in Pet Plan.

Under this plan your pet can be covered for life. Some of the fine print in other policies show coverage stops at about age 8 or so. Since Yorkies have a long life expectancy, I felt it was important to insure we could continue coverage.

This plan also covers hereditary diseases and conditions. We are getting great bloodlines in the ancestry of our Yorkie but after reading Yorkietalk, I have some concerns about the overall general health of this breed. I think we have chosen our breeder with the utmost caution and considered prenatal care as well as post birth. However, illnesses and problems can happen to even those with the best bloodlines.

The greatest selling point to me though is that this is the only plan I have studied that allows me to choose the deductible I want to pay prior to their coverage. Not only that, but it also allows me to chose what percentage of coverage I want them to assume after I meet the deductible. Most policies offer only 80% coverage and no more.

In an effort to help stress their belief in the importance of microchipping a pet, they offer a discount for such. They also offer a discount for purchasing the policy over the internet and other possible discounts, too, such as discounts for dogs who are service animals.

There are quite a few policies available for pets nowadays. I would encourage you to look at the small print very carefully. It is somewhat tricky and possibly what works for one household will not be the best for another.

Good luck! You are wise in giving yourself time for research.
May I ask who you think you will go with? Right now I am using Pet Partners, but Bailey's policy is up in July and if there's a better policy out there that will cover him for life I would gladly check it out!
__________________
Chandra, Bailey Blue's mama
chandracz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
TOY
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
TOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,094
Blog Entries: 4
Default

I may not have stated it clearly. Policy coverage is just for one year but if you are insured with them, you can continue coverage on your pet for his/her entire life. Some I have seen stop at 8 years and also do not cover problems they consider common to the breed.

The actual name of the insurance is Pet Plan. I know...you thought I meant generic..LOL

I'm getting the deluxe policy that even covers boarding if I am hospitalized and no one is available to care for the Yorkie. It covers advertising if the pet is lost, a % of non-recoverable vacation costs if your pet gets sick on vacation, and even extraction of teeth.

I have asked the company if they ever plan to offer a wellness plan, too. I only asked it tonight so I don't know. They do not cover sterilization nor regular teeth cleaning. I don't recall reading about vaccinations either but I did see that they cover prescriptions.

I'm pretty impressed with their coverage and it takes alot to impress me with ANY insurance. It was practically the kiss of death to be put on an insurance committee when I taught..LOL

Hope this helps,
TOY
TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
TOY
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
TOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,094
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Oops...sorry, Bailey's Mom!

I meant to give you the link and forgot.

Petplan Pet Insurance for Dogs and Cats
TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
TOY
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
TOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,094
Blog Entries: 4
Default

I promise I don't work for this company...LOL

However, one of the things I find so interesting is when members on here begin to compare vet costs. It is unreal how different costs are in different parts of the country!

That leads to one of the best selling points of this plan I have referenced.
They base their pay on the actual charges your vet charges not on a chart someone made in the office!

Those "charts" are often the thorn in my side with people insurance! We seem to get that litle * too many times on our hospital coverage...*cost exceeds normal charges.

Anway, thought I'd share that since it is a good measure. I'm done with insurance tonight. I do want to sleep without nightmares...LOL

Last edited by TOY; 02-23-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Computer's spelling...LOL
TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
♥I Luv my BaileyBlue♥
Donating Member
 
chandracz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOY View Post
I promise I don't work for this company...LOL

However, one of the things I find so interesting is when members on here begin to compare vet costs. It is unreal how different costs are in different parts of the country!

That leads to one of the best selling points of this plan I have referenced.
They base their pay on the actual charges your vet charges not on a chart someone made in the office!

Those "charts" are often the thorn in my side with people insurance! We seem to get that litle * too many times on our hospital coverage...*cost exceeds normal charges.

Anway, thought I'd share that since it is a good measure. I'm done with insurance tonight. I do want to sleep without nightmares...LOL
Wow, thank you so much for all your advice!!! You have really helped me and given me something to think about! I reall appreciate it!
__________________
Chandra, Bailey Blue's mama
chandracz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164