Thread: Pet Insurance?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
chandracz
♥I Luv my BaileyBlue♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOY View Post
I am getting pet insurance just for peace of mind. We are both retired and as such are on a fixed income. We can easily support the routine care of a Yorkie but not unexpected illness.

It is one of the things we plan to buy for our Yorkie and hope we never have to use!

I have been researching pet insurances for several months now and I have chosen Pet Plan with about a 98% certainty. I have a few other plans to still check but I like what I see in Pet Plan.

Under this plan your pet can be covered for life. Some of the fine print in other policies show coverage stops at about age 8 or so. Since Yorkies have a long life expectancy, I felt it was important to insure we could continue coverage.

This plan also covers hereditary diseases and conditions. We are getting great bloodlines in the ancestry of our Yorkie but after reading Yorkietalk, I have some concerns about the overall general health of this breed. I think we have chosen our breeder with the utmost caution and considered prenatal care as well as post birth. However, illnesses and problems can happen to even those with the best bloodlines.

The greatest selling point to me though is that this is the only plan I have studied that allows me to choose the deductible I want to pay prior to their coverage. Not only that, but it also allows me to chose what percentage of coverage I want them to assume after I meet the deductible. Most policies offer only 80% coverage and no more.

In an effort to help stress their belief in the importance of microchipping a pet, they offer a discount for such. They also offer a discount for purchasing the policy over the internet and other possible discounts, too, such as discounts for dogs who are service animals.

There are quite a few policies available for pets nowadays. I would encourage you to look at the small print very carefully. It is somewhat tricky and possibly what works for one household will not be the best for another.

Good luck! You are wise in giving yourself time for research.
May I ask who you think you will go with? Right now I am using Pet Partners, but Bailey's policy is up in July and if there's a better policy out there that will cover him for life I would gladly check it out!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!