YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Yorkie Health & Diet
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
YT 500 Club Member
 
sadiesamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: McKinney, Texas
Posts: 604
Default Looking for those who feed NATURE'S VARIETY RAW DIET...

I checked out the yahoo support group on raw diet and they will not discuss Natures Variety. They only support prey model. That is something that I can not bring myself to do.

I am interested in Natures Variety though and learning for the YT members who feed Nature's Variety.

Nature's Variety ingredients look very very appealing for something I would like to feed my girls The food contains the meat and necessary veggies included in their food.

I just don't know enough about it. I checked out the website but wasn't getting the info I needed to make the switch.

I am looking for comments on Nature's Variety from those who feed the raw diet.
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Wylie's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,747
Blog Entries: 2
Default

What kind of info are looking for? I feed NV, as do many others. I love it. I use NV's lamb - and I've just now started the organic chicken (not regular) to try for variety (which is like butter, I swear!).

I was at the vet yesterday w/ Marcel and she asked if I was brushing his teeth - and I was all..."er...no, never...he's just on raw" - she was quite impressed!
__________________
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
tjdmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 5,847
Default

I tried to feed Zoe the NV raw medallions and she loved them for about 3 weeks and now will not touch them. I've tried all sorts of things. I think what it comes down to is that she thinks the older dog must have something better and she wants that. I'm a little afraid to start now with a raw diet on my senior dog so I am currently feeding homecooking and canidae at this point and then they both get the same thing. I have to say, for the 3 weeks she would eat the raw, it was wonderful. Little tiny poos once, maybe twice at day at most and they practically disintegrated! I would definately be feeding raw if Zoe would just cooperate!
tjdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
YT 500 Club Member
 
sadiesamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: McKinney, Texas
Posts: 604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdmom View Post
I tried to feed Zoe the NV raw medallions and she loved them for about 3 weeks and now will not touch them. I've tried all sorts of things. I think what it comes down to is that she thinks the older dog must have something better and she wants that. I'm a little afraid to start now with a raw diet on my senior dog so I am currently feeding homecooking and canidae at this point and then they both get the same thing. I have to say, for the 3 weeks she would eat the raw, it was wonderful. Little tiny poos once, maybe twice at day at most and they practically disintegrated! I would definately be feeding raw if Zoe would just cooperate!

:-) I have 8 huge piles of poos that I clean up every day. my 2 little yorkies sometimes poo the longest poos! I can't even believe there was even room in their tiny bodies for all that poo. I'm serious! it's crazy. And we've had mushy poo now to add to it.

My girls both would be eating the raw. I do know it's hard to feed seperate foods to them though. One does feel like they are not getting something the other one is and I don't know about you -but it makes me sad.
Because these dogs are smart. they know if one is getting more lovin than the other. I try to love on them both at the same time but they will not let me. Sometimes i hold both of them at the same time :-)
but normally I love on each one seperately for the same amount of time. so that they both feel loved and special. It's my favorite thing to do when I get home from work. I walk in the door and they are both yelling at me.
"where were you all day"??? "we missed you"!!!!

I just know that's what they are telling me. :-)
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
Julie1760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Packer Country!!!
Posts: 666
Default

I use the NV raw and they both love it. We mix up the flavor so that they don't know what to expect and they eat it right up. I also use the NV kibble and canned for variety and when I'm not home. I love the fact that they have nice poops and not real often. My Bichon has a real sensitive tummy and this is one of the few foods that she doesn't get sick on, no matter which flavor. Myah is still little, but she scarfs up the raw with gusto. She has eaten it since she came home.
__________________
.`.Julie .`.
Chlo & Myah

Julie1760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
YT 500 Club Member
 
sadiesamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: McKinney, Texas
Posts: 604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
What kind of info are looking for? I feed NV, as do many others. I love it. I use NV's lamb - and I've just now started the organic chicken (not regular) to try for variety (which is like butter, I swear!).

I was at the vet yesterday w/ Marcel and she asked if I was brushing his teeth - and I was all..."er...no, never...he's just on raw" - she was quite impressed!
yes and pretty much because of all the great things "you all" have said about it makes me want to switch :-)

But I don't know with the protein loss kidney issues and the high pancreatic values. when we switched to wellness we did it super slowly so we did not develop any pancreatitis. we had one bout of vomiting and diar last year (Nov) when I switched too quickly to a food. I didn't know about the pancreas and how it works but I found out. I thought that the "food" made her sick so I stopped the food immediately.

And with the raw I have read things about not doing it slowly and also read things about how you can switch slowly. doing is slowly I hear could cause digestive upset becasue kibble and raw digest totally differently. and switching cold turkey could cause digestive upset as well. I don't want my girls to get sick bc they do have the high pancreas values (which are elevated bc of the renal loss) not from greasy foods.

Do you know what kind of digestive enzymes would be ok to use? I have some that I bought to sprinkle on the food the last time I made the switch but don't know if I would need something I could get from B-naturals (what a wonderful site!!)

I am scared of what will happen that's all. not scared to feed raw at all. scared they will have major vomiting and diarrhea problems with the high pancreas values. I will be careful and smart when feeding it. and yes- me too the medallions are what I am interested in- Oh and I also have read that you need to rotate different raw foods. why is that?

Last edited by sadiesamie; 04-13-2008 at 01:02 PM.
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
YT 500 Club Member
 
sadiesamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: McKinney, Texas
Posts: 604
Default

also I read somewhere that feeding a dog kibble for 11 yrs and them making the switch to raw also may not be a good thing. ???? wonder why?
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
Julie1760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Packer Country!!!
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesamie View Post

And with the raw I have read things about not doing it slowly and also read things about how you can switch slowly. doing is slowly I hear could cause digestive upset becasue kibble and raw digest totally differently. and switching cold turkey could cause digestive upset as well.
I mix the raw with the kibble and have done so with my Bichon for over a year...and never have had a problem. It is not true that you can't mix them together...they just digest at different times just like our food digests differently.

If you are worrried, do the transistion slowly. Most just do the switch, but you have to do what you feel comfortable with.
__________________
.`.Julie .`.
Chlo & Myah

Julie1760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Slave to Princess Chloe
Donating Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,258
Default

Chloe has been real picky lately!! She won't eat NV Raw anymore!! I've switched between meats and she still doesn't show much interest in it!!! So, I have been feeding her Candiae kibble and NV Raw. HELP!!!! She is just being sooooo picky!!! Arghh!!! So, tonight, I decided to heat up the NV Raw meat a little bit in the microwave (okay..I almost "Cooked" it all the way!!) And guess what? She smelled the food and ate it right a way!!! Spoiled brat!!!

So, my question is.....is it okay to feed them meat that is slightly cooked? I know it is suppose to be a RAW diet..but Chloe doesn't like it that way!!! What should I do???
__________________
Proud Member of The PINK & CrAzY& Spoiled Rotten Club CLUB
mminichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Slave to Princess Chloe
Donating Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesamie View Post
I checked out the yahoo support group on raw diet and they will not discuss Natures Variety. They only support prey model. That is something that I can not bring myself to do.

I am interested in Natures Variety though and learning for the YT members who feed Nature's Variety.

Nature's Variety ingredients look very very appealing for something I would like to feed my girls The food contains the meat and necessary veggies included in their food.

I just don't know enough about it. I checked out the website but wasn't getting the info I needed to make the switch.

I am looking for comments on Nature's Variety from those who feed the raw diet.
I love NV Raw diet for my baby!! She poop less and smaller poop also!!

Go to google and type in "Nature's Variety Try it"...it will bring you to a link for an awesome coupon!! Buy one get one free (RAW)!!! Good luck!!
__________________
Proud Member of The PINK & CrAzY& Spoiled Rotten Club CLUB
mminichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
Julie1760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Packer Country!!!
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminichan View Post
Chloe has been real picky lately!! She won't eat NV Raw anymore!! I've switched between meats and she still doesn't show much interest in it!!! So, I have been feeding her Candiae kibble and NV Raw. HELP!!!! She is just being sooooo picky!!! Arghh!!! So, tonight, I decided to heat up the NV Raw meat a little bit in the microwave (okay..I almost "Cooked" it all the way!!) And guess what? She smelled the food and ate it right a way!!! Spoiled brat!!!

So, my question is.....is it okay to feed them meat that is slightly cooked? I know it is suppose to be a RAW diet..but Chloe doesn't like it that way!!! What should I do???
I warm 2 medallions up for 12 sec. in the microwave. You really don't want to cook it with the bone in it. So, just try warming it up slightly. You can also put them in a baggie, and drop in some hot water to warm them up...mine won't eat them cold out of the fridge....
__________________
.`.Julie .`.
Chlo & Myah

Julie1760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
YT 500 Club Member
 
sadiesamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: McKinney, Texas
Posts: 604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminichan View Post
I love NV Raw diet for my baby!! She poop less and smaller poop also!!

Go to google and type in "Nature's Variety Try it"...it will bring you to a link for an awesome coupon!! Buy one get one free (RAW)!!! Good luck!!
Thanks!!! It worked. I did one in my husbands name too :-)
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Wylie's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,747
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesamie View Post
I am scared of what will happen that's all. not scared to feed raw at all. scared they will have major vomiting and diarrhea problems with the high pancreas values. I will be careful and smart when feeding it. and yes- me too the medallions are what I am interested in- Oh and I also have read that you need to rotate different raw foods. why is that?
The last time we posted about this, I think you were going to consult with another vet and with a new nutritionist - didn't the nutritionist provide a sound way to guide you in a proper diet for these specific pancreas issues?

I'm not sure what else to recommend, in addition to what we've talked about in the past - bc of your baby's specific issues. I'm not an expert with the pancreas - so I'm not sure where to go from here...unless you could share what they told you?
__________________
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
Slave to Princess Chloe
Donating Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1760 View Post
I warm 2 medallions up for 12 sec. in the microwave. You really don't want to cook it with the bone in it. So, just try warming it up slightly. You can also put them in a baggie, and drop in some hot water to warm them up...mine won't eat them cold out of the fridge....
Oh thanks for your advise and warning!! I totally forgot that it had bone in it!!! Thanks!
__________________
Proud Member of The PINK & CrAzY& Spoiled Rotten Club CLUB
mminichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
YT 500 Club Member
 
sadiesamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: McKinney, Texas
Posts: 604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
The last time we posted about this, I think you were going to consult with another vet and with a new nutritionist - didn't the nutritionist provide a sound way to guide you in a proper diet for these specific pancreas issues?

I'm not sure what else to recommend, in addition to what we've talked about in the past - bc of your baby's specific issues. I'm not an expert with the pancreas - so I'm not sure where to go from here...unless you could share what they told you?
I talked to one nutritionist and she said that there was no reason that we could not feed raw and add digestive enzymes. We did not make an appt with her bc she was 50 miles away. We just talked for 30 min. I just don't feel comfortable driving in Dallas traffic with my baby in the car for a long trip. so I found dr shawn and he is 15 miles away. natures variety had good things to say about both nutritionists.

But I am still trying to find someone that has the same issues with the kidney/ protein loss/even history of crystals and see if they are feeding raw. I've read Lots of info on feeding raw, but not on feeding raw with any health issues. I read about one kidney issue and one cancer issue. The raw diet helped the pets in a big way. Everyone knows we can't replace a kidney but in this situation it improved the dog a lot.

Believe it or not I rely on YT for A LOT. The vet can tell me one thing and immediately I am curious to know what YT members are doing.

We ended up scheduling with Dr Shawn Messioneur and he supports raw. I know when we go to see him this Friday, I have a feeling he is going to want us to feed raw. BUT he also may say to homecook. I am just trying to learn and read all I can about it before we go. I hear great things about raw diet and i am very excited to try it if the holistic vet thinks we can benefit from this.

My husband may want to do the phone consult with Susan Davis but I want to do both. :-) The Vet and nutritionist may tell me to feed raw But still I very anxious to see what other YT members have to say about it.

I have yet to hear anything bad about it. the only thing people have posted was that their dogs did not like it and will not eat it.

I do plan on posting the outcome after our visit. :-)

Last edited by sadiesamie; 04-13-2008 at 04:13 PM.
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159