YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Sick & Injured / Emergencies Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
Yorkie Talker
 
tmbroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chapel Hill, TN
Posts: 11
Cry Yorkie Seizures (not even 2 years old)

Worst feeling in the world is knowing your baby is suffering and dont know what to do. My Rex is not even 2 years old and has had a seizure once a day for the last 4 days. All started on Wednesday when I took him to be groomed. The groomer said he needed shots because he was not up to date.
Silly me....oh? Well, ok? Give him what he needs. Next thing I know he is having seizures!? Im freaking out....my husband is freaking out. He has been in and out of the vets office....and all I want is for him to be himself again. The vet at this last visit gave us a shot of diazepam to give him if he had another seizure. So sure enough he has one this morning. We give him the shot and he starts acting completely normal...running around playing my heart was SO happy. But puzzled at the same time. The shot was supposes to calm him. It had an adverse effect somehow? I just really need advice from ones who have Yorkies that suffer from seizures. We are so at a loss as to what is going on. We love him SO much! I really hate to put him through so many tests and imaging....if someone could give me some advice. We are going to do/pay whatever it takes to see he gets better.
__________________
Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog.


tmbroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 05-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member
 
capt_noonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Las Vegas & Orange County
Posts: 17,408
Default

I'm so sorry to hear this. But I'm confused, did the groomer give the shots? I didn't know they could do that. Some dogs have adverse effects to vaccines. If that happens, usually the vet will give you a note or something saying your dog cannot have vax bc of a life threatening reaction. One of our members here lost one of her yorkies from a vaccine.
__________________
The T.U.B. Pack! Toto, Uni, & Bindi
RIP Lord Scrappington Montgomery McLimpybottom aka El Lenguo the Handicapped Ninja 10-12-12
capt_noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member
 
Yorkiemom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 9,462
Default

I am so sorry about your baby.....what did the "groomer" give your baby? I would want names and batch numbers for everything they gave....am I so out of touch with what is going on out there, that GROOMERS now give shots??????

What diagnosis is anyone giving you for what is going on???? We can "assume" what the problem is and what caused it, but get someone to actually verbalize the issue....even get it in writing....did they give all the shots at the same time? Was LEPTO vaccine included in the shots? More adverse reactions in yorkies to that one shot than all the others.....

As far as what you are now dealing with, seizure activity in your baby, hopefully this has not done permanent damage to your baby. NO MORE VACCINE SHOTS....GET A NOTE FROM YOUR VET! Vaccines are providing up to 7 years of protection....and they will be publishing research that is being done as we speak, that substantiate the results of multiple studies that vaccines provide a lifetime protection.....The first series of shots protects the baby for at least 7 years, very probably a lifetime....

Vaccines and worming are the "bread and butter for vets"...when I worked for a vet many years ago, we always "pushed" vaccines and wormings.....that was considered the "easy money makers".....not many people want to go back and look under the microscope and SEE the worms in the stool....and I did know a vet that kept a slide with worms on it, just in case anyone asked to see the slide....they never asked "why the worms were not moving....if they had asked, they had died exposed to the cold slide , blah, blah,...". blah.....

Good luck with your baby....hopefully this seizure activity is not going to be a lifetime occurring event....please keep us posted on your baby and his health......
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
YT 500 Club Member
 
Shicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Friendsville Tn.
Posts: 879
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
I am so sorry about your baby.....what did the "groomer" give your baby? I would want names and batch numbers for everything they gave....am I so out of touch with what is going on out there, that GROOMERS now give shots??????

What diagnosis is anyone giving you for what is going on???? We can "assume" what the problem is and what caused it, but get someone to actually verbalize the issue....even get it in writing....did they give all the shots at the same time? Was LEPTO vaccine included in the shots? More adverse reactions in yorkies to that one shot than all the others.....

As far as what you are now dealing with, seizure activity in your baby, hopefully this has not done permanent damage to your baby. NO MORE VACCINE SHOTS....GET A NOTE FROM YOUR VET! Vaccines are providing up to 7 years of protection....and they will be publishing research that is being done as we speak, that substantiate the results of multiple studies that vaccines provide a lifetime protection.....The first series of shots protects the baby for at least 7 years, very probably a lifetime....

Vaccines and worming are the "bread and butter for vets"...when I worked for a vet many years ago, we always "pushed" vaccines and wormings.....that was considered the "easy money makers".....not many people want to go back and look under the microscope and SEE the worms in the stool....and I did know a vet that kept a slide with worms on it, just in case anyone asked to see the slide....they never asked "why the worms were not moving....if they had asked, they had died exposed to the cold slide , blah, blah,...". blah.....

Good luck with your baby....hopefully this seizure activity is not going to be a lifetime occurring event....please keep us posted on your baby and his health......
Yorkiemom1
Talking about shots, my boy is 16 months old. He had all his puppy shots minus lepto, kennel. Also his 1st rabies. Now my Vet says he needs a distemper booster as an adult dog, then a month later his rabies for 3 years. I have talked with the Vet intently on over vaccinations. She tells me he needs this booster as an adult & then after we can test for immunity. I worry about the booster, which probably be more than just distemper.
Would appreciate your thoughts.
__________________
Yorkies makes us happy
Shicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Yorkie Talker
 
tmbroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chapel Hill, TN
Posts: 11
Default

The groomer worked for the vet. It is a big grooming/vet/boarding type of deal. He has bee laying around today. Eating here and there. Taking him back to the vet in the morning for an ultrasound and some bloodwork. Gave him a couple of Lactalose doses today that his doc gave me. Seemed to help somewhat. He mentioned possible enciphalitis. So I dont know. I just wish we can get it figured out.
__________________
Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog.


tmbroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 AM   #6
YT Addict
 
Scoobstersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ USA
Posts: 385
Default

Tmbroo,

Regarding the diazepam dose, what type of reaction does your baby generally have after a seizure? One of my yorkies had seizures the last few years of his life. He had a intense reactive postictal period following a seizure. He would run around the house, bumping into things, getting himself stuck places, and couldn't/wouldn't settle for 5-6 hours. Over active but not normal activity.

The diazepam is given to shorten the length of a seizure and hopefully prevent an immediate second seizure or cluster of seizures. For my little guy, it would normalize him within just a few minutes and his behavior was back to normal. If your little guy is usually active and playful, that would be a normal reaction to the diazepam. Also, the amount of diazepam they're given is very small and doesn't stay in the system long so it wears off quickly.

I hope you get to the bottom of what's going on with your baby quickly and find a solution. Our little guy was already 14 when he started having them and we were never able to determine a cause. He already had multiple health issues at that point anyway and he only had one every 3 or 4 months so we just learned to manage them.

Diana
Scoobstersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #7
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Wylie's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,889
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shicks View Post
Yorkiemom1
Talking about shots, my boy is 16 months old. He had all his puppy shots minus lepto, kennel. Also his 1st rabies. Now my Vet says he needs a distemper booster as an adult dog, then a month later his rabies for 3 years. I have talked with the Vet intently on over vaccinations. She tells me he needs this booster as an adult & then after we can test for immunity. I worry about the booster, which probably be more than just distemper.
Would appreciate your thoughts.
If you want to follow the AAHA vax schedule, then yes, you need the puppy/adult boosters approx 1 yr from when he got his last puppy shots.

The distemper shot would also include parvo (good), and a couple other usual things (ie, a 5-in-1 shot).

I would not later be doing titers, as they are not indicative of much of anything since they only indicate humoral immunity, not cellular immunity...so do not waste your money on those.
__________________
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:32 AM   #8
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Wylie's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,889
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbroo View Post
The groomer worked for the vet. It is a big grooming/vet/boarding type of deal. He has bee laying around today. Eating here and there. Taking him back to the vet in the morning for an ultrasound and some bloodwork. Gave him a couple of Lactalose doses today that his doc gave me. Seemed to help somewhat. He mentioned possible enciphalitis. So I dont know. I just wish we can get it figured out.
Hope you're able to get some answers, how scary. Some dogs do have different reactions to meds, so I wouldn't worry too much about his reaction to the valium.
__________________
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
YT 500 Club Member
 
Shicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Friendsville Tn.
Posts: 879
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
If you want to follow the AAHA vax schedule, then yes, you need the puppy/adult boosters approx 1 yr from when he got his last puppy shots.

The distemper shot would also include parvo (good), and a couple other usual things (ie, a 5-in-1 shot).

I would not later be doing titers, as they are not indicative of much of anything since they only indicate humoral immunity, not cellular immunity...so do not waste your money on those.
Thanks Wylie's Mom. He has an appointment on Friday for booster. I will find out if it's a 5 in 1. I hope not. I think distemper & parvo are the important one.
__________________
Yorkies makes us happy
Shicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
Yorkie Yakker
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hicksville NY
Posts: 74
Default

My boy is a Rex too!! and sadly having seizure but he is much older..13. I can tell you to make sure to get a neurologist opinion asap..They can just look and do certain neuro exam to rule out certain things..
dawz1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #11
Yorkie Talker
 
tmbroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chapel Hill, TN
Posts: 11
Default

**Update on my Rex**
So on Monday of this week he spent the entire day at the vet having bloodwork, got an ultrasound, and was monitored closely. Doc found nothing abnormal. He thought for sure he would find a Liver Shunt because he pretty much has the classic symptoms. But ultrasound showed nothing and 2nd round of bloodwork was fine. So he sent him home on Lactulose and some science diet for stress. Rex was FULL of himself that evening. Running and playing and eating and acting himself once again. I thought well ok? Maybe the meds and this new food is going to be the trick. No seizures but as each day passed he began acting skiddish and nervous again and lethargic. Then yesterday morning he had a seizure. This is the longest he has went without having one so thats good. But I just dont know what to do? It seems every single time he gets a dose of diazepam he acts completely normal!? Could my Rex have some kind of anxiety issues causing his seizures? I am just at a loss.
__________________
Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog.


tmbroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #12
YT 500 Club Member
 
Shicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Friendsville Tn.
Posts: 879
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbroo View Post
**Update on my Rex**
So on Monday of this week he spent the entire day at the vet having bloodwork, got an ultrasound, and was monitored closely. Doc found nothing abnormal. He thought for sure he would find a Liver Shunt because he pretty much has the classic symptoms. But ultrasound showed nothing and 2nd round of bloodwork was fine. So he sent him home on Lactulose and some science diet for stress. Rex was FULL of himself that evening. Running and playing and eating and acting himself once again. I thought well ok? Maybe the meds and this new food is going to be the trick. No seizures but as each day passed he began acting skiddish and nervous again and lethargic. Then yesterday morning he had a seizure. This is the longest he has went without having one so thats good. But I just dont know what to do? It seems every single time he gets a dose of diazepam he acts completely normal!? Could my Rex have some kind of anxiety issues causing his seizures? I am just at a loss.
Please you need to take him to a specialist. This is not natural. Please ask for a spinal tap & MRI very expensive but these test don't lie.
Prayers for you & Rex
__________________
Yorkies makes us happy
Shicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166