YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Sick & Injured / Emergencies Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
YorkieTalk Newbie!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daly City, CA, USA
Posts: 3
Default New Puppy, Just noticed eyes are not the same size!?! What should I do?

Hello all,

I am seeking some advice. I just received a new puppy from a breeder that I have been with in contact with for months. I received multiple emails about the puppy being healthy and pictures that appeared to show the puppy to be normal and healthy. One of the pictures I received showed that one eye was smaller than the other, but I thought it as just the spot around her eye making the picture look weird. I got the actual puppy two days ago and when I brought her to the vet, the first thing he told me was that the two eyes were different sizes. The right eye is 1cm and the left eye is 1-1/2cm. She also had abrasians that could have been ulcers so the vet put her on antibiotic eye drops for one week. The vet also said she does not produce tears in that right eye and an insufficient amount in the left eye. Basically she is at risk for infections and blindness her whole life because of the chronic dry eyes.

I have a contract with the breeder to trade the puppy in for one of equal value if it is not healthy. Would this be a reason any of you would trade her in? It's a hard call because she is exactly what I have been looking for despite the eye problems, I don't know if I should keep her, seeing that I got her for breeding, and the vet said this could be genetic and could pass it on to future litters.

Should I return her? Or will this not pass on to future pups? How common is the dry eye thing in yorkies?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_3412.JPG (183.7 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by norcalyorkies; 03-07-2010 at 02:26 PM.
norcalyorkies is offline  
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 03-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
No Longer a Member
 
YorkieRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,577
Default

Did your vet mention surgerical repair? Dry eye is a painful condition for a dog to endure for a life time. I had a pup like this and repaired the eye and the buyer said it was fine the rest of her life...

The breeder had to know of this problem before selling..why would her vet give a health cert and not mention it...I would ask for money to repair the eye if the eye surgeon advises it..if not fixable, I would return the pup...I had two grooming clients who did not repair the tear duct's in their Yorkies...the eyes were always a mess..constantly dry and infected...I told both..fix the eyes or get a new groomer..one did , one did not...my vet said a dry eye feels like you have sand in your eye..and that is painful...it breaks my heart to see a dog suffer...even slightly.

Absolutely no breeding...this can be genetic. I spayed the dam that produced the dry eye pup of mine and her eyes were perfect. What breed is your puppy?

Last edited by YorkieRose; 03-07-2010 at 02:34 PM.
YorkieRose is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
YorkieTalk Newbie!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daly City, CA, USA
Posts: 3
Default

She is a parti yorkie.

Would the small eye also be passed on in breeding?
Based on the tests the vet did, the right eye doesnt produce any tears but the left eye produces some just not enough. Should I still spay her because of this?

Also, what is the minimum weight to breed a Yorkie? I can't seem to find that information anywhere?!?

The breeder originally told me the puppy was 5oz when she was born, so according to the growth chart, she is projected to be about 5.5lb. She is currently 9 weeks and is 1.4lb which on the growth chart makes her projected to be between 3.5 and 3.9lb full grown. Has something stunted her growth? Is she just a slow grower? Is that weight not enough to breed her? I want her to be safe if I was to breed her. I'm not trying to be irresponsible so I want to make sure I get all of this information.

I may have to return her to the breeder for all of these problems I have found, even though I would love to keep her. =(
norcalyorkies is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
tjdmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 5,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalyorkies View Post
She is a parti yorkie.

Would the small eye also be passed on in breeding?
Based on the tests the vet did, the right eye doesnt produce any tears but the left eye produces some just not enough. Should I still spay her because of this?

Also, what is the minimum weight to breed a Yorkie? I can't seem to find that information anywhere?!?

The breeder originally told me the puppy was 5oz when she was born, so according to the growth chart, she is projected to be about 5.5lb. She is currently 9 weeks and is 1.4lb which on the growth chart makes her projected to be between 3.5 and 3.9lb full grown. Has something stunted her growth? Is she just a slow grower? Is that weight not enough to breed her? I want her to be safe if I was to breed her. I'm not trying to be irresponsible so I want to make sure I get all of this information.

I may have to return her to the breeder for all of these problems I have found, even though I would love to keep her. =(
Her size is really just something that can not be predicted. Growth charts just make educated guesses, sometimes they are right, sometimes not. But the dry eye would concern me. My understanding is that it is genetic.
tjdmom is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
Currently Suspended!
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalyorkies View Post
She is a parti yorkie.

Would the small eye also be passed on in breeding?
Based on the tests the vet did, the right eye doesnt produce any tears but the left eye produces some just not enough. Should I still spay her because of this?

Also, what is the minimum weight to breed a Yorkie? I can't seem to find that information anywhere?!?

The breeder originally told me the puppy was 5oz when she was born, so according to the growth chart, she is projected to be about 5.5lb. She is currently 9 weeks and is 1.4lb which on the growth chart makes her projected to be between 3.5 and 3.9lb full grown. Has something stunted her growth? Is she just a slow grower? Is that weight not enough to breed her? I want her to be safe if I was to breed her. I'm not trying to be irresponsible so I want to make sure I get all of this information.

I may have to return her to the breeder for all of these problems I have found, even though I would love to keep her. =(

I would keep her and spay her. Keep her as a pet. Learn some more about breeding and research a good breeder to get stock from.
yorkie_mama22 is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
No Longer a Member
 
YorkieRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,577
Default

Birth weight is so seldom the correct indication of adult weight...one pup litters can have a huge 6 0z pup who grows up to be 3 pounds..it is the genes that determine adult weight. I double at 12 weeks...a pup that is 1.4 at 9 weeks will 90% of the time not make a decent breeding weight..again a big reason the breeder should never have sold her for breeding...

I know you are attaching to this little girl...but her eye is a stopper for me. If she had a normal eye, just smaller, I would never breed her either...it is such a bad fault to reproduce. I can deal with large eyes or small eyes, but not one of each..
I am not happy with the breeder you are dealing with...an ethical breeder would NEVER, NEVER sell a puppy with this fault for breeding...and the first thing out of her mouth should have been to state the problem. AND the reason the cornea has abrasions is because the lack of tears cause all these nasty problems to the point the eye can ulcerate and need to be removed...would you want to chance this happening to another puppy...I would avoid the line entirely...I do not trust the breeder to be honest and tell you what faults are in the line.
YorkieRose is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
No Longer a Member
 
YorkieRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_mama22 View Post
I would keep her and spay her. Keep her as a pet. Learn some more about breeding and research a good breeder to get stock from.
My heart agrees, but not my head...the breeder has no reason to change how they breed and sell pups when the buyer keeps the pup...perhaps if a few are returned the breeder will shape up...

Last edited by YorkieRose; 03-07-2010 at 05:47 PM.
YorkieRose is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,396
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose View Post
My heart agrees, but not my head...the breeder has no reason to change how they breed and sell pups when the buyer keeps the pup...perhaps if a few are returned the breeder will shape up...
I agree with this.
__________________
Nancy1999 is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
LoveMy2
Donating Member
 
MaddiesMommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,060
Default

I would like to respectfully suggest you spend some more time researching and working with a mentor before breeding. There are also excellent resources here at YT to get you started.

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...-answered.html
MaddiesMommie is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
YT 3000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 4,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose View Post
My heart agrees, but not my head...the breeder has no reason to change how they breed and sell pups when the buyer keeps the pup...perhaps if a few are returned the breeder will shape up...
I disagree, It was obvious to the breeder that this pup had a problem and deliberately neglected to tell you. Returning the pup will only get it resold to some other nieve person ( not trying to insult you ) but it's obvious this person is unethical and probably about a 2 % chance that will change. Weather you return the pup or not you should deff not get another from this breeder, I do agree however that you need to do your research and make sure your next pup is genetically sound before purchasing a pup especially for breeding. I can tell you from personal experience that Dry Eye is painful and a constant irritation and more prone to eye infections.
lillymae is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 AM   #11
YT 3000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 4,544
Default

Hmmm, just took a closer look at her pic and the left eye appears to be normal in size but that right eye looks under developed to me. Might look diff in person but from the pic that's sure what it looks like.
lillymae is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #12
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 26,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddiesMommie View Post
I would like to respectfully suggest you spend some more time researching and working with a mentor before breeding. There are also excellent resources here at YT to get you started.

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...-answered.html


As for this eye, it looks like microphthalmia to me. This is a genetic issue. If you are looking to breed, I would suggest a different breeder for sure.

I hope someone wonderful gets her and treasures her as a pet. I have a little pup with this condition and she is a total love.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2092&aid=323
ladyjane is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
No Longer a Member
 
YorkieRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymae View Post
I disagree, It was obvious to the breeder that this pup had a problem and deliberately neglected to tell you. Returning the pup will only get it resold to some other nieve person ( not trying to insult you ) but it's obvious this person is unethical and probably about a 2 % chance that will change. Weather you return the pup or not you should deff not get another from this breeder, I do agree however that you need to do your research and make sure your next pup is genetically sound before purchasing a pup especially for breeding. I can tell you from personal experience that Dry Eye is painful and a constant irritation and more prone to eye infections.
You are so right, it is a tough decision to make. I hate to see this pup returned to a breeder of this nature. I, also see so many breeders who seem to get away with selling anything..sending no papers, sick pups etc...they have no reason to change, they have their money and will repeat the breeding and sell more of the same...I have meet buyers who are afraid to call the breeder and it was not their fault there wa sa problem...no one was ever afraid to call me about anything and everything...LOL LOL A hair growing wrong was an emergancy!!!

What I really advise is a small claims suit to pay for vet bills...surgery etc..this hits home in the pocketbook...buyer should check into state laws covering this...
YorkieRose is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
Donating YT 2000 Club Member
 
Ladymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,317
Default

Being born with too small or absent lacrimal (tear producing) glands is genetic in Yorkies so she absolutely shouldn't be bred.

There is a surgery available to correct KCS (dry eye). A salivary gland is rerouted to the eye. I have discussed the surgery with both Lady's private ophthalmologist and the ophthalmologists at NC State Vet School, but Lady is not a candidate because of her age. It is the longest surgery they do, about three hours. It is also not without complications according to my ophthalmologist. Some dogs are actually allergic to their own saliva. Excess tearing is also a problem - a constantly wet face. The pros and cons have to be very carefully weighed with your ophthalmologist, however it is usually recommended in a puppy or young dog.

KCS is very expensive to treat and treatment is lifelong. Dogs with KCS should see an ophthalmologist at least annually, preferably twice a year. Since her condition is congenital, it won't respond to tear stimulators. Applying artificial tears every 2-4 hours is very important. I use Genteal severe eye formula and it runs me about $50 a month. Will someone be with her during the day to apply the artificial tears 24/7?

Dogs with KCS are prone to infection and eye ulcers. Lady had an infection this summer that cost me $1,000 to clear up. Those little bottles of eye drops are close to $100 each! Eye ulcers also require medication and sometimes do not heal on their own. They may require surgery (a graft) which runs several thousand dollars.

Eventually scar tissue will build up on the eye and the dog will lose her vision. I am not trying to scare you, but just give you a realistic picture of what caring for a dog with KCS involves.

Here is a very good article:

KCS (Dry Eye)
Ladymom is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
No Longer a Member
 
YorkieRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,577
Default

I know this sounds drastic, but would removing the eye be an option...the reason I say this, is because two friends have one eyed Yorkies.. honestly,with the hair cut into bangs I can not tell an eye is missing..dogs function 100%.

ps..I would never breed the dam again...
YorkieRose is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
dry eyes tears small eye, glaucoma, microphthalmia, parti yorkie



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166