YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Regional Forums > New England USA
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #61
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Who are you people?

I am a Yorkie owner and lover!
I spent a lot of time and effort to research the local and non-local breeders to find my "best friend." When I met Denise for the first time, I was enthralled as many others have been. Of course, I am a shrewd buyer, so I was not immediately wooed by her appparent charms. However, as I spent a little time to visit her house and see the "home" that she has created for her "babies" as she calls them, I was quite pleased to purchase my two loves from Denise on separate visits.

They have been absolute joys!

Though often suggested in this blog, Denise is not all talk and show. She truly has a love for her Yorkies and has every right to be proud. I have been back very recently and have seen some recent work that has been done to be certain that each of her babies is comfortable, loved and quite healthy. This is not to suggest that the work was needed. I had always found her home to be clean and quite suitable.

There have been suggestions that some dogs have become ill after leaving her care. This is not unusual from my research. What dog lives a full life with NO medical problems? As I read some of this "thread" I have yet to read any real first hand accounts of actual mistreatment OR fault on this woman. While I do not consider her a friend, she is someone I have done business with and trust to be doing the right thing... not just in business but in the good care and concern for her Yorkies and those families who buy them. She does not want to sell them to folks for further breeding or profit by show. She hopes that her "babies" will be family companions!

She is NOT a reseller or what some call a puppy mill! One look at her facility will tell anyone that she has a sufficient number of breeding parents.

Please consider the source of this "thread" as ONE person with NO actual information. One visit to Denise's home will be proof of her love and care of these beautiful dogs, as well as the horrible untruths that have become part of this thread that has become a cancerous web of scare tactics.
yorkieluvrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #62
Yorkie Yakker

Default Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Little Red Riding Hood was taken in by a "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing' just as many of Denise's customers. By definition, ""A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing" (one who is dangerous while pretending to be harmless". In my opinion, and that of many others, that describes Denise to a tee.

While I respect your opinion with respect to Denise I believe you, like many others, have been taken in by all the glitz and glitter. Her excuse for not giving AKC papers because she doesn't want her pups to be bred is so much hot air. The AKC allows restricted registration (Limited Registration) that prohibits any resulting puppies from being registered. If that were her true intentions all she'd have to do is hold the AKC papers until the new owner presented a spay/neuter certificate from a reputable vet.

However giving AKC papers would reveal the true source of where the puppies came from. I'm delighted your pups are everything you wished for but of all those that have written to me directly about the pups they bought from Denise, both in good health and the sick ones, not one was given AKC papers and we, in the Yorkie community, know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieluvrbc View Post
I am a Yorkie owner and lover!
I spent a lot of time and effort to research the local and non-local breeders to find my "best friend." When I met Denise for the first time, I was enthralled as many others have been. Of course, I am a shrewd buyer, so I was not immediately wooed by her appparent charms. However, as I spent a little time to visit her house and see the "home" that she has created for her "babies" as she calls them, I was quite pleased to purchase my two loves from Denise on separate visits.

They have been absolute joys!

Though often suggested in this blog, Denise is not all talk and show. She truly has a love for her Yorkies and has every right to be proud. I have been back very recently and have seen some recent work that has been done to be certain that each of her babies is comfortable, loved and quite healthy. This is not to suggest that the work was needed. I had always found her home to be clean and quite suitable.

There have been suggestions that some dogs have become ill after leaving her care. This is not unusual from my research. What dog lives a full life with NO medical problems? As I read some of this "thread" I have yet to read any real first hand accounts of actual mistreatment OR fault on this woman. While I do not consider her a friend, she is someone I have done business with and trust to be doing the right thing... not just in business but in the good care and concern for her Yorkies and those families who buy them. She does not want to sell them to folks for further breeding or profit by show. She hopes that her "babies" will be family companions!

She is NOT a reseller or what some call a puppy mill! One look at her facility will tell anyone that she has a sufficient number of breeding parents.

Please consider the source of this "thread" as ONE person with NO actual information. One visit to Denise's home will be proof of her love and care of these beautiful dogs, as well as the horrible untruths that have become part of this thread that has become a cancerous web of scare tactics.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:53 AM   #63
Yorkie Yakker

If Denise is not a reseller, can you explain to me why, when I went to see her in search of a Yorkie puppy, she couldn't show me the sire and dam for the puppies she was trying to sell me? Or why, when I asked her about the sire and dam of the male Yorkie a friend had just purchased from her a month prior to my visit - she couldn't remember which of "her dogs" had produced the puppy? Huh???? Then, less than a year later, when my friend's dog became ill with MVD, she refused to compensate my friend, give her a replacement dog, or cover any of the extensive medical expenses involved in his treatment? And, in fact, accused my friend of causing the dog's illness?

Oh, and her dogs live in her basement. When a prospective buyer comes to see them, she opens the door and brings them upstairs. The buyer does not get an opportunity to come downstairs and see what conditions the dogs live under. At least I didn't.
Bombers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 AM   #64
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default My experience and research

I cannot speak about yours or your friend's experiences, however, if you would take a moment to research common ailments in Yorkies and toy dogs, you would find that MVD is quite common among Yorkies.

JaLa's Garden Yorkies - Health Concerns of the Yorkshire Terrier

If you take a little time to read this, it is easy to understand why Yorkies can become ill quite easily. Illnesses are often undectable during initial examinations.

So when I was looking into purchasing a toy breed, and I chose a Yorkie, my research told me that this was a possiblity. That does not mean that the breeder bears no responsibility, but in this case we are talking about hearsay.

I chose not to respond to Mr. Glass, since his condascending nature leads me to believe that he is only seeking to destroy rather than to help.

I can tell you from my experiences with Denise Ronayne and her husband Jack that they have a very lovely house that provides a safe and comfortable home to sires and dams. I have seen mothers nursing babies in a room off to the side of their kitchen. I was not allowed to enter, for obvious reasons and completely respect the nature of her business and the mothers' desire to protect her young.

Those of you who have happy and healthy companions purchased from Denise should not feel foolish. You should feel fortunate, as I do, that you have a beautiful friend and cuddler who loves you as unconditionally as you could ever dream.

I do not wish to stir up anyone or raise a fuss. My intention was to share my own experience, as it has been a very positive one. I am FAR from a fool and am smart enough to know who the real wolf is, Mr. Glass.
yorkieluvrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 AM   #65
Yorkie Yakker

Default A Bad Yorkie Reseller

You hit the nail right on the head. Denise only wants to show one puppy at a time and as she brings one down to the kennel she'll bring another up and just by coincidence the second cost more than the first. It's kind of like "Bait & Switch". I'm not aware of any customer that's been allowed to see where the puppies are housed.

Denise has also said she was voted as the best Yorkie breeder in MA but failed to say what organization bestowed that upon her. It certainly wasn't the YTCA of which she's not a member. It wasn't the Worcester Kennel Club, of which she's not a member. If wasn't the Framingham Kennel Club, of which she's not a member, or the Classic Toy Dog Club of Western Massachusetts of which she's not a member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombers Mom View Post
If Denise is not a reseller, can you explain to me why, when I went to see her in search of a Yorkie puppy, she couldn't show me the sire and dam for the puppies she was trying to sell me? Or why, when I asked her about the sire and dam of the male Yorkie a friend had just purchased from her a month prior to my visit - she couldn't remember which of "her dogs" had produced the puppy? Huh???? Then, less than a year later, when my friend's dog became ill with MVD, she refused to compensate my friend, give her a replacement dog, or cover any of the extensive medical expenses involved in his treatment? And, in fact, accused my friend of causing the dog's illness?

Oh, and her dogs live in her basement. When a prospective buyer comes to see them, she opens the door and brings them upstairs. The buyer does not get an opportunity to come downstairs and see what conditions the dogs live under. At least I didn't.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:46 AM   #66
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman View Post
Professional looking web sites don't do anything to insure a healthy dog nor do all the stories and empty promises made by disreputable pet sellers.

One of the best ways to insure the breeder is reputable and that the dogs they sell meet the standards is to make sure the breeders not only breed the dogs but show the dogs in AKC sanctioned conformation shows. Anyone can breed dogs but those breeders that devote themselves to producing good pet quality or show quality winning dogs also take the time to make sure the dogs they breed meet the standard as judged by an impartial dog show judge.

Good breeders are also members of their local kennel clubs and in many instances they're also members of the specific breed club of the breed they are selling. Even if they claim they are members, it's prudent and easy to find out if they actually are members of the clubs they claim. CHECK IT OUT and don't take their word for it!

Obviously not all the pups produced are of Show or Championship quality but those breeders that do show their dogs try and do everything possible to produce show quality puppies. That's the lifeblood of their chosen hobby.

OF THE HUNDREDS OF YORKIE BREEDERS I KNOW, NONE OF THEM WOULD EVER ADVERTISE PUPPIES ON WEB SITES SERVERS LIKE YORKIETALK USES.
The very best of breeders have waiting lists for their puppies and therefore have no need to ever advertise puppies for sale. Also good reputable breeders will not ship puppies to people they've never met.

That's not to disparage YorkieTalk since they have no control over the ads that appear on the advertising banners. Their only control would be to spend money for server space that doesn't use advertising to supplement the cost of the service.
i thought yorkietak would be a safe site to find a puppy. i guess i was wrong to assume this.. i guess they are as safe as puppyfind.. yorkietalk should definitely stop allowing puppy mill people to sell dogs on this site.. this is disturbing...
cesar49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #67
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieluvrbc View Post
I cannot speak about yours or your friend's experiences, however, if you would take a moment to research common ailments in Yorkies and toy dogs, you would find that MVD is quite common among Yorkies.

JaLa's Garden Yorkies - Health Concerns of the Yorkshire Terrier

If you take a little time to read this, it is easy to understand why Yorkies can become ill quite easily. Illnesses are often undectable during initial examinations.

So when I was looking into purchasing a toy breed, and I chose a Yorkie, my research told me that this was a possiblity. That does not mean that the breeder bears no responsibility, but in this case we are talking about hearsay.

I chose not to respond to Mr. Glass, since his condascending nature leads me to believe that he is only seeking to destroy rather than to help.

I can tell you from my experiences with Denise Ronayne and her husband Jack that they have a very lovely house that provides a safe and comfortable home to sires and dams. I have seen mothers nursing babies in a room off to the side of their kitchen. I was not allowed to enter, for obvious reasons and completely respect the nature of her business and the mothers' desire to protect her young.

Those of you who have happy and healthy companions purchased from Denise should not feel foolish. You should feel fortunate, as I do, that you have a beautiful friend and cuddler who loves you as unconditionally as you could ever dream.

I do not wish to stir up anyone or raise a fuss. My intention was to share my own experience, as it has been a very positive one. I am FAR from a fool and am smart enough to know who the real wolf is, Mr. Glass.
Those of you who have happy and healthy companions purchased from Denise should absolutely feel fortunate. They are in the minority.

And yes, of course it is a possibility to get a sick dog or one who later becomes ill from a reputable breeder - but the difference between Denise and those breeders who can be trusted is that the trusted breeders offer and honor a health guarantee. Denise does not.

And as to Steve Glass' motives - I have no doubt that they are honorable and strictly in the interest of protecting the breed and those poor people who unknowingly purchase a sick dog from Denise. Steve is not a breeder and has nothing to gain by warning unsuspecting buyers from getting a Yorkie from her. So you are way off base in your assessment of him.
Bombers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #68
Yorkie Yakker

Default MVD (microvascular dysplasia) as opposed to mitral valve disease

Having moderated a Liver Shunt & MVD support group for well over 15 years I can attest to the fact that Yorkies and Cairn terriers are most commonly affected with Liver Shunt and MVD/HMD, but this condition is also seen in many other small breeds, including Maltese, dachshund, miniature poodles, Shih tzu, Lhasa apso, cocker spaniel, West Highland white terriers and the Havanese. Some cats are also affected.

Since I'm not a breeder and I don't sell dogs of any breed, I have no reason to single out, certain so called breeders, other than to protect the public from them. Denise is not the only breeder/broker/whatever that I've singled out on my web site (yorkies.com) as someone to stay clear of. And I haven't listed bad "Breeders" just in Massachusetts. I have an equal opportunity web site and I'll report on any bad Yorkie breeder, no matter where they are located, as long as I have credible documentation as to the particulars that led to the complaint and how the breeder responded.

I'm not the only one that has questioned Denise's practices. The Bureau of Animal Health, Massachusetts Dept. of Agricultural Resources is also interested in her as well as the MA Department of Revenue and the IRS.

But Wolves are crafty animals and know how to hide their acts and intentions.

I'm not about to get involved in a match of wits with anyone on this list about Denise or any other breeder. My information is out there for anyone to read, take to heart, or discard, as they see fit. Each person has the right to their own opinion and I'm stating mine. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Currently the cost for corrective surgery at Tufts or Angell Memorial for a Liver Shunt runs about $3300.00 as compared to the University of Tennessee in Knoxville as about $1600.00. Diagnostic testing like an ultrasound, which is least reliable as compared to a portagram or scintigraphy can cost upwards of $1000.00 at Tufts. Most reputable breeders don't leave you to your own devises when one of the puppies they sell is sick and requires an additonal outlay of those kind of funds, especially when they charge well in excess of what a Show Quality Yorkie sells for.

MVD is not an imminently life threatening condition but if left untreated the dog does run the risk of poor health and even death. And treatment is not a one time affair. It's a lifetime of proper low protein diet and dosage of things like Lactulose, Flagyl, Marin, and Probiotic additives etc..

When you buy a Yorkie from a reputable breeder they don't turn around and blame the pet owner for these conditions and in most cases they will either return the purchase price or pay the veterinary bills. Those breeders that say to return the dog and they'll give you another know that once you've bonded with the dog you won't do that, especially when they tell you that they'll have to put the puppy to sleep because it's not financially feasible to pay for the medical care. And why would anyone take the chance of getting another sick dog from the same breeder?

And finally, I never called anyone a fool but if the shoe fits then wear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombers Mom View Post
Those of you who have happy and healthy companions purchased from Denise should absolutely feel fortunate. They are in the minority.

And yes, of course it is a possibility to get a sick dog or one who later becomes ill from a reputable breeder - but the difference between Denise and those breeders who can be trusted is that the trusted breeders offer and honor a health guarantee. Denise does not.

And as to Steve Glass' motives - I have no doubt that they are honorable and strictly in the interest of protecting the breed and those poor people who unknowingly purchase a sick dog from Denise. Steve is not a breeder and has nothing to gain by warning unsuspecting buyers from getting a Yorkie from her. So you are way off base in your assessment of him.

Last edited by satman; 04-23-2008 at 11:19 AM.
satman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #69
Yorkie Yakker

To be perfectly honest, in my opinion the internet in generally, is NOT a good place to find a Yorkie or any other breed.

My first inclination would to go to Home Page, InfoDog -* The Dog Fancier's Complete Resource for information* AKC Dog Show Events, and Dog Products and Services and search for a dog show close enought for you to travel to. There you'll find breeders devoted to breeding to the standard. That doesn't always insure you'll get a perfect dog but it's much safer than buying a "Pig in a Polk".

As I've stated before, most reputable Yorkie breeders do not have to advertise in order to sell thier puppies. Their good reputation results in 'word of mouth' referrals and waiting lists for a pup. Because Yorkies have small litters, generally 2-4 pups it's not like a large breed dog that produces litters of 9-12 puppies. Yorkie breeders don't generally have an abundace of puppies available.

As an alternative I'd look to the local kennel club or local breed specialty club for a referral. If you're looking specifically for a Yorkshire Terrier I'd also suggest going to the parent club web site (Yorkshire Terrier Club of America) and go to their breeder referral pages.

I also have breeder referrals on my web site (yorkies.com).

Forums like YorkieTalk need advertising revenue to continue operation. Unfortunately in most cases they have no control over the advertising placed on the servers they use. Many free web sites and search engines attain revenue from advertising to keep them going. Even AOL had to change from a pay service to a free, advertiser supported, portal to stay in business.

Money talks an Bull---- walks, which means that cheap talk will get you nowhere, while money will persuade people to do as you like. Money talks, that's how life goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar49 View Post
i thought yorkietak would be a safe site to find a puppy. i guess i was wrong to assume this.. i guess they are as safe as puppyfind.. yorkietalk should definitely stop allowing puppy mill people to sell dogs on this site.. this is disturbing...
Old 04-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #70
YT Addict

Question May I be rude?

Hi....I am not interested in one of Denise Ronayne's puppies but I was curious if you all know how much she charges for her puppies? I have seen so many breeders all across the board who have "teacup" "champion sired" "coby bodied" and the list goes on....but I have never seen a breeder who advertises as much as Denise Ronayne does about her home. Wouldn't it be more important to know the history behind the sire and dam and so forth? I realize all Yorkies are prone to certain health issues but by selective breeding we can certainly avoid disastrous results! I got my little boy disastrous from Glenda Beavers and feel very confident that the up most care was taken when his parents breeding took place. I am so sad that someone would breed two Yorkies because they want to produce pets and make a few bucks and not worry about the outcome. Unfortunately not every pet owner sticks by their pet through thick and thin ...when vet bills skyrocket and there are no answers in sight heatbreak happens.. This is also why we have so many animals in shelters and rescue organizations. My friend Michele here on YT was one of those unlucky people...she spent allot money buying her little girl...only to spend the next three years searching for a miracle to save her baby. Michele had to put her little Yorkie "Raven" down last month because the quality of her life was so poor. How sad for Michele and for Raven... I never realized the importance of preserving the York Breed or any Breed for that matter. It takes many years to create a beautiful representation of the breed and minutes to destroy it. I have so much respect for the breeders who truly love the Breed. I wonder if AKC will ever start requiring all Dams and Sires to be DNA tested and of course all their offspring? Seems like that might eliminate some the bad breeders out there? I hope I have not offended anyone as this was not my intent just had this on my mind.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 AM   #71
Yorkie Yakker

Default Reply to: May I be Rude

You're not rude at all. From the reports I've received from those that have dealt with Denise she charges upwards of $3500.00 for a puppy without AKC papers and she generally asks for CASH.

There is validity to "Champion Sired" pups but a Yorkie should never be referred to as a TEACUP. As for "Coby Bodied", that term isn't found in the standard as set forth by the YTCA or the AKC for this breed.

You also have to define "Champion Sired"! How many generations ago were the certified "Champion" introduced? Did the breeding program stay consistantly with Champions or did it stray off to unknown parentage? And finally what agency certified the dog as a Champion. Here in the USA the only group valid to certify a Champion is the AKC. There are over 15 other bogus registries that will convey the title of Champion to any dog who's owner pays a fee. Deception is pervasive when selling pups by less than honest people.

Puppymill and Brokers advertise consistently and in just about every venue as possible, because they have so many puppies to get rid of before they're too old to be considered as puppies. It's the nature of the beast and the internet hasn't helped in reducing the incidents or proliferation of puppymills, brokers or commercial breeders.

Knowing the Sire and Dam may be an advantage but even that doesn't guaranty a healthy puppy. Unfortunately some of the best known breeders have produced a puppy with Liver Shunt. It's what they did and how they handled it when they found out. That's important and separates the good breeders from the bad. The good breeders will immediately spay/neuter the pair that produced the sick puppy so as eliminate the possibility of it happening again. And more importantly they will aid the new puppy's owner with medical costs or give a full refund while allowing them to keep the puppy.

In the proper facility the recovery rate for Liver Shunt surgery is slightly over 95%. Yes, the medical costs are expensive to return the dog to health but that's the cost of owning a pet. There are many other preventable situations that bring medical costs as high or higher.

For instance, a few weeks ago my Katey chewed a plastic decoration on a topknot bow and swallowed it. It was large enough to pass down her throat but too large to exit her stomach. When she first stated vomiting we thought it was the same virus that Kcc had gone through the previous week so we gave her some fluids and Pediasure when she wouldn't eat. Eventually 5 days later she required surgery when the part showed up on an ultrasound ( it didn't show on x-ray). The cost for a week of medical care and surgery exceeded $3000.00 and was worth every penny of it to have Katey back home and healthy.

A dog with MVD can lead a fairly normal life with a normal lifespan if taken care of properly. Yes there are additional medical costs for special foods and medications but if you love the puppy you'll take on that chore to preserve the life.

As to breeding: I have several friends that are breeders. They won't even stud out their dogs for fear of who he'll be mated with. This even hold true for frozen sperm used for artificial insemination. And they'd never pair their females with a strange male.

This is in comparison to the pet owner with a female that will mate her to any male capable of "Getting it done", or just the opposite. I could relate tragic stories that occur when this is done just for the possibility of the dollars returned from any resulting puppies. For those interested just email me privately and I'll send you several stories that would turn your stomach and they are all true. They are far to long to post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketBaby View Post
Hi....I am not interested in one of Denise Ronayne's puppies but I was curious if you all know how much she charges for her puppies? I have seen so many breeders all across the board who have "teacup" "champion sired" "coby bodied" and the list goes on....but I have never seen a breeder who advertises as much as Denise Ronayne does about her home. Wouldn't it be more important to know the history behind the sire and dam and so forth? I realize all Yorkies are prone to certain health issues but by selective breeding we can certainly avoid disastrous results! I got my little boy disastrous from Glenda Beavers and feel very confident that the up most care was taken when his parents breeding took place. I am so sad that someone would breed two Yorkies because they want to produce pets and make a few bucks and not worry about the outcome. Unfortunately not every pet owner sticks by their pet through thick and thin ...when vet bills skyrocket and there are no answers in sight heatbreak happens.. This is also why we have so many animals in shelters and rescue organizations. My friend Michele here on YT was one of those unlucky people...she spent allot money buying her little girl...only to spend the next three years searching for a miracle to save her baby. Michele had to put her little Yorkie "Raven" down last month because the quality of her life was so poor. How sad for Michele and for Raven... I never realized the importance of preserving the York Breed or any Breed for that matter. It takes many years to create a beautiful representation of the breed and minutes to destroy it. I have so much respect for the breeders who truly love the Breed. I wonder if AKC will ever start requiring all Dams and Sires to be DNA tested and of course all their offspring? Seems like that might eliminate some the bad breeders out there? I hope I have not offended anyone as this was not my intent just had this on my mind.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #72
Yorkie Yakker

Default Stay away - Laughlin Kennel in Oxford, MA

I also want to advise to stay away from Laughlin Kennel in Oxford, MA. When I got Lula I had done very little research and just went to "look" at the yorkies as I had only ever seen maybe one in person before. I had planned on leaving there and doing more research to find a reputable breeder etc. I got there and was horrified. They had at least one dog from over 20 different breeds to choose from. I could not see where they were all kept (I am assuming stacked cages in the basement from what I could hear) nor would they let me see when asked. This is when they brought Lula up.

There were probably 5 other families/people in the room at this time looking at other breeds and when they brought Lula up all 1 pound 12 ounces of her I could not let her go. She was so small and helpless in this crazy place that I had to get her out of there and take her home. I did not in any way want to contribute to a kennel or potential puppy mills (as she had actually come from Missouri or something) but I could not leave without her she was $1800 and I gave over my christmas bonus with 0 hesitation.

She was very close to being hypoglycemic so we gave her honey at 1st as they advised us. After her 1st vet appt. we learned she had Giardia and she still has it now and we have had her for over 4 months and she has gone through 3 rounds of treatment. She also had tapeworm (we found out a bit later) when we got her as well.

I love her more than anything and would not trade her for the world but my advice is to stay away from this place!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #73
Yorkie Yakker

Default Laughlin Kennels?

My web site (yorkies.com) is an equal opportunity place where many good Yorkie breeders are listed and, when I'm able to document and verify the bad ones, I'll place a warning for all to read.

I've had a warning about the kennel you mentioned for more than a year. They threatened to file suit against me and I told them that: "Slander (oral defamation) or libel (written defamation) must be false. TRUTH OF THE STATEMENTS IS A DEFENSE THAT CAN BE USED BY THE DEFENDANT and is a a Positive defense", and I welcomed exposing them in court.

I never heard from them again.

P.S. Read about some success stories of pets treated for Liver Shunt @ Liver Shunt Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula168 View Post
I also want to advise to stay away from Laughlin Kennel in Oxford, MA. When I got Lula I had done very little research and just went to "look" at the yorkies as I had only ever seen maybe one in person before. I had planned on leaving there and doing more research to find a reputable breeder etc. I got there and was horrified. They had at least one dog from over 20 different breeds to choose from. I could not see where they were all kept (I am assuming stacked cages in the basement from what I could hear) nor would they let me see when asked. This is when they brought Lula up.

There were probably 5 other families/people in the room at this time looking at other breeds and when they brought Lula up all 1 pound 12 ounces of her I could not let her go. She was so small and helpless in this crazy place that I had to get her out of there and take her home. I did not in any way want to contribute to a kennel or potential puppy mills (as she had actually come from Missouri or something) but I could not leave without her she was $1800 and I gave over my christmas bonus with 0 hesitation.

She was very close to being hypoglycemic so we gave her honey at 1st as they advised us. After her 1st vet appt. we learned she had Giardia and she still has it now and we have had her for over 4 months and she has gone through 3 rounds of treatment. She also had tapeworm (we found out a bit later) when we got her as well.

I love her more than anything and would not trade her for the world but my advice is to stay away from this place!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:08 AM   #74
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman View Post
My web site (yorkies.com) is an equal opportunity place where many good Yorkie breeders are listed and, when I'm able to document and verify the bad ones, I'll place a warning for all to read.

I've had a warning about the kennel you mentioned for more than a year. They threatened to file suit against me and I told them that: "Slander (oral defamation) or libel (written defamation) must be false. TRUTH OF THE STATEMENTS IS A DEFENSE THAT CAN BE USED BY THE DEFENDANT and is a a Positive defense", and I welcomed exposing them in court.

I never heard from them again.

P.S. Read about some success stories of pets treated for Liver Shunt @ Liver Shunt Stories

I kind of wish they did challenge you and maybe they would be shut down by now! I wish I could have taken home every single dog that was at the place.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #75
Yorkie Yakker

wow so glad I read this page. This was one of the breeders I was looking into........primarily because of all the misleading pictures.......once I couldn't get her to send me an updated photo I knew something was up.
izzi99 is offline   Reply With Quote