YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Yorkie Health & Diet
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,785
Question Could Beneful have made him this sick?

I went to Virginia Beach for three days for a vacation and left Jackson with my dad, his wife, my brother and their two dogs. Jackson adores all of them, loves it over there. Anyways, he was absolutely fine when I arrived home to pick him up... he was sooo excited to see me, it was so cute!

I didn't get home until around 8pm so he had already been fed dinner. My dad's wife informed me that she ran out of Jackson's food (Innova) so she had to give all the dogs Beneful mixed in with their wet food for dinner. She knows Beneful is terrible but she had an extra bag and no other food. Jackson does not have, what I would call, a sensitive stomach. He never gets sick from switching up his dog food (He will eat Canidae over at my dads house, no problem, even tho he's not used to it etc), however, he's never eaten a "1 star dog food" with such terrible ingredients as Beneful.

I would say about 45 minutes-1 hour after I got home, he threw up and it was all his food in the throw up. Then he threw up again, all the food again. I thought maybe he had just gotten over-excited from seeing me and that's what made him sick. But he threw up about 4 more times after that, the last 2 being nothing but just clear mucus. I was planning on taking a trip to the vet the next morning, however, he was totally himself and back to normal again so I didn't bother.

The only thing she told me was that he had been eating a lot of grass earlier that day but Jackson literally always eats grass and it never makes him throw up, lol.

Anyways, he's fine now, but do you think Beneful could have made him THAT sick?
__________________
~ Brit & Lights! Camera! Jackson! CGC ETD TKP ~
Follow Jackson on Instagram: https://instagram.com/jacksontheterrier
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member
 
Ellie May's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Posts: 17,924
Default

Yes

When I went on vacay a couple years ago and left Ellie with family, she got into the Beneful. She didn't throw up, but she did bloat up quite a bit and she was very lethargic. Too quick to change food and it is gross anyway.
__________________
Crystal, Ellie May (RIP), Rylee Finnegan, and Gracie Boo🐶
Ellie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Yes

When I went on vacay a couple years ago and left Ellie with family, she got into the Beneful. She didn't throw up, but she did bloat up quite a bit and she was very lethargic. Too quick to change food and it is gross anyway.
Wow, thanks for the info!

Yes, when I first arrived home, he looked bloated to me but I didn't want to say anything 'cause I thought I was crazy! LOL.

Good to know! Well, he will NEVER be eating Beneful again.
__________________
~ Brit & Lights! Camera! Jackson! CGC ETD TKP ~
Follow Jackson on Instagram: https://instagram.com/jacksontheterrier
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
No Longer A Member
 
ARCHIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 16,218
Animal Smiley 049

Maybe between eating that terrible food and the car ride on top of it
made him so sick. He probably would have gotten sick from it anyhow
but the movement on top of it only added to his sickness.
Poor baby, glad he's better now.

Why that garbabge is still on the market is amazing.
It's like eating colored sponges! There is no weight
to it at all. The body fluid only makes this food
expand in the stomach with very little nutriants
or nurishment at all.
It looks pretty tho on TV.
ARCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
YT 1000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: here :)
Posts: 1,182
Default

Before I found YT , my dog was eating Beneful ( I know ) and while she never got sick; she was bloated , fat, and allergic ( I didn't know it at the time) .Then my little 2.5 lb yorkie got into it and she would gobble it up and she too got very bloated and while she never got sick....I can very well imagine that Beneful can make a dog use to eating good quality food sick !! The ingredience listed on the bag were beyond awful !!!!!
__________________
Chloe & Sydney
chloesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHIE View Post
Maybe between eating that terrible food and the car ride on top of it
made him so sick. He probably would have gotten sick from it anyhow
but the movement on top of it only added to his sickness.
Poor baby, glad he's better now.

Why that garbabge is still on the market is amazing.
It's like eating colored sponges! There is no weight
to it at all. The body fluid only makes this food
expand in the stomach with very little nutriants
or nurishment at all.
It looks pretty tho on TV.
He actually never got in the car because I slept at my dad's house that night.

But it amazes me as well that they can get away with selling such food! It's insane. They spend all that money on pretty advertisements for TV but can't attempt to stick some good ingredients in there.
__________________
~ Brit & Lights! Camera! Jackson! CGC ETD TKP ~
Follow Jackson on Instagram: https://instagram.com/jacksontheterrier
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloesMama View Post
Before I found YT , my dog was eating Beneful ( I know ) and while she never got sick; she was bloated , fat, and allergic ( I didn't know it at the time) .Then my little 2.5 lb yorkie got into it and she would gobble it up and she too got very bloated and while she never got sick....I can very well imagine that Beneful can make a dog use to eating good quality food sick !! The ingredience listed on the bag were beyond awful !!!!!
Wow!
I can't believe that.

The bloated thing was the FIRST thing I noticed about Jackson when I first arrived home but I thought "eh, maybe Grandpa spoiled him!" LOL. My dad has a tendency to give Jackson more treats than I do. But, it must have been the Beneful.
__________________
~ Brit & Lights! Camera! Jackson! CGC ETD TKP ~
Follow Jackson on Instagram: https://instagram.com/jacksontheterrier
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Donating YT 1000 Club Member
 
Sweet Apple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, Texas USA
Posts: 2,473
Default

Yep, I think it could make him that sick, and I'm sooooooo glad he's feeling better now...Apple doesn't have an overly sensitive stomach, but if she gets into something she's not used to, she will throw it up...Actually, I kinda think it's a good thing that these little ones throw up foreign stuff pretty quickly, because it seems to protect them in a sick sorta way (no pun intended, here lol)....
Sweet Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
DorkyYorkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 206
Default

This is DorkyYorkies Husband, and I work at a major pet food manufacturing facility making Purina dog and cat food.

Here is what I have to say......

You don't want to know what is in it, how it is made, or how much they are ripping you off when you buy one bag. One bag pays for a whole ton of dog food.

It does, and will make your pet sick. You don't even want to know how badly managed their quality control processes are for testing for contamination and germs. Just let your imagination wander, and you'll probably hit they nail on the head, or at least be in the neighborhood.

That is all I have to say!
DorkyYorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member
 
Ellie May's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Posts: 17,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyYorkies View Post
This is DorkyYorkies Husband, and I work at a major pet food manufacturing facility making Purina dog and cat food.

Here is what I have to say......

You don't want to know what is in it, how it is made, or how much they are ripping you off when you buy one bag. One bag pays for a whole ton of dog food.

It does, and will make your pet sick. You don't even want to know how badly managed their quality control processes are for testing for contamination and germs. Just let your imagination wander, and you'll probably hit they nail on the head, or at least be in the neighborhood.

That is all I have to say!
Yum
And to think I had to feed Purina a couple months ago. YUCKY!!!
__________________
Crystal, Ellie May (RIP), Rylee Finnegan, and Gracie Boo🐶
Ellie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member
 
capt_noonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Las Vegas & Orange County
Posts: 17,408
Default

I hope Jackson is feeling better. Why do they even keep that stuff in the house???

My BIL always is sneaking those horrible kibbles to Uni, and she goes and hides it like it a precious treasure she won't ever get again. If it were up to me she would never get it again, but BIL just keeps sneaking her more pieces! I even found a biscuit in her stash the other day. i asked him what brand it was, and he said "Milk bone". I read the thread the other day about worms coming out of the milk bone boxes, yummy.
__________________
The T.U.B. Pack! Toto, Uni, & Bindi
RIP Lord Scrappington Montgomery McLimpybottom aka El Lenguo the Handicapped Ninja 10-12-12
capt_noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
sdnylz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woodland Park, NJ
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I went to Virginia Beach for three days for a vacation and left Jackson with my dad, his wife, my brother and their two dogs. Jackson adores all of them, loves it over there. Anyways, he was absolutely fine when I arrived home to pick him up... he was sooo excited to see me, it was so cute!

I didn't get home until around 8pm so he had already been fed dinner. My dad's wife informed me that she ran out of Jackson's food (Innova) so she had to give all the dogs Beneful mixed in with their wet food for dinner. She knows Beneful is terrible but she had an extra bag and no other food. Jackson does not have, what I would call, a sensitive stomach. He never gets sick from switching up his dog food (He will eat Canidae over at my dads house, no problem, even tho he's not used to it etc), however, he's never eaten a "1 star dog food" with such terrible ingredients as Beneful.

I would say about 45 minutes-1 hour after I got home, he threw up and it was all his food in the throw up. Then he threw up again, all the food again. I thought maybe he had just gotten over-excited from seeing me and that's what made him sick. But he threw up about 4 more times after that, the last 2 being nothing but just clear mucus. I was planning on taking a trip to the vet the next morning, however, he was totally himself and back to normal again so I didn't bother.

The only thing she told me was that he had been eating a lot of grass earlier that day but Jackson literally always eats grass and it never makes him throw up, lol.

Anyways, he's fine now, but do you think Beneful could have made him THAT sick?
poor baby! I think it was definitely the sudden change of food plus the poor quality of it. question do you feed him Innova kibble or canned food? hope he gets better
__________________
sdnylz and Sasha
sdnylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 AM   #13
YT Addict
 
inabowbina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: illinois
Posts: 253
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Yes it was for sure beneful my mom had my dogs over a weekend when I went on vacation and she decided to feed them something else because they are picky and sometimes don't eat their food I feed them evo and raw. My dogs are also pickers and don't eat a really big meal all at once. And my mom is all about over feeding everything lol. So when I was gone she decided to feed them beneful wet food in their dry and they got really sick the poops and everything. Its really horrible stuff she meat that is in it is so over processed its like rubber I would feel sick if I ate rubber beef too

Last edited by inabowbina; 07-28-2009 at 04:13 AM.
inabowbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #14
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnylz View Post
poor baby! I think it was definitely the sudden change of food plus the poor quality of it. question do you feed him Innova kibble or canned food? hope he gets better
Kibble.
__________________
~ Brit & Lights! Camera! Jackson! CGC ETD TKP ~
Follow Jackson on Instagram: https://instagram.com/jacksontheterrier
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
Therapy Dog
Donating Member
 
Izzy Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,635
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Oh I hope your baby gets better but I swore I saw something on YT or on the net that said that Beneful was causing major health problems in pets that ate this food. OMG the commercial makes you think you are feeding your dog gourmet food. I can't believe that these pet food companies do this to our beloved pets..I highly doubt they are feeding their own food to their own pets.
__________________
Cynd, Izzy (Yorkie) & Cosmo (Biewer)(Secwetary & Charter Membwer of the Dirty FurKids Cwub)-Jusz say NO ta bein' cwean!)proud member of the CrAzYcLuB! ~The PINK club~SRC
Izzy Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166