Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers. |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
|02-09-2019, 04:56 PM||#1|
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston, MA, USA
My Ella has a brain tumor
Hello Yorkie Friends. I have not been active here at all. My own chronic pain/disability has kept me preoccupied but my beautiful Ella Fitzgerald has been by my side always for 10 years. Last week Ella had a couple of seizures, she stumbles. At the time she couldn't walk. We went to the vet, they believe, strongly, that she has a brain tumor. Ella is only 11. I thought I'd have her several more years. I cried for a week. Now I'm looking for information. I can't decide whether to go ahead with the MRI ($2,500-$3,700). My funds are limited but I will do what I have to to make sure she isn't in pain, which is my number one concern right now. I have her on seizure meds and no seizures for the past week. I am hesitant to put her on steroids as she does not seem to be in any discomfort. Ella is a yorkie placement dog, a surrender from a breeder because she could not be bred. I contacted her foster mom to tell her about Ella's condition and was shocked to hear this same breeder just surrendered a 1.5 year old yorkie girl, a quiet, shy one (just like my Ella). I was sent a photo and I'm in love and in agony. I have a week to decide. Would this help Ella? I'm afraid that between my disability and needs that Ella might have, it wouldn't be fair to either dog. My head says No, my heart says Yes. How long does Ella have? A month? Six months, a year? And as selfish as it sounds, I'm terrified of being without a dog to love. I was 9 days between my other dog and Ella and I thought I'd lose my mind. I'm feeling alone. I haven't left the house as I'm afraid Ella will need me. Any help would be greatly appreciated but please don't judge me too harshly as my family has, telling me I shouldn't consider having two dogs. Thank you in advance, Jane and Ella Fitzgerald
|02-10-2019, 04:28 AM||#2|
Donating YT 3000 Club Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: E.Stroudsburg, Pa.
It's a hard choice to make considering Ella's condition. I would go for it, take this lil girl, if you pass it by yorkie rescue surrenders are hard to come by. I cannot live without a yorkie in my life, when my last girl had to leave me I didn't want another dog, losing them is to hard. 6 weeks after having to put my baby down my vet called, she just got a surrendered 2 1/2 boy. Cut to the chase, I took him home the day I saw him. I still cried for my passed Matese but so glad to took this lil boy he helped me heal , I always say he rescued me, not me him. Go for it, you will never regret it. (((hugs)))
Joan, mom to Cody RIP Matese Schnae Kajon Kia forever in my A House Is Not A Home Without A Dog
|02-10-2019, 09:22 AM||#4|
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Kissimmee, FL
My husband and I have always opened our hearts almost immediately to a new baby when we have lost one of our beloved companions. In one case, we brought a new little one in at the end months of one of our older dogs. That little one, energetic as he was, spent the last days of our oldest dog's life cuddled by his side. Little brotherly spats aside, our older dog became visibly calmer when the young one would climb into his bed and snuggle!
Just like having more than one child, if Ella needs you, the new baby may get a little less playtime on a day or two. She will survive, and will still have your love to make her happy and secure.
As long as you are aware that you will still have to go through the steps of mourning and honoring your beloved Ella when that time comes (it is still incredibly hard to say goodbye no matter the size of your "pack"), you should be fine. Having that new little one's unconditional love should bring great comfort to you.
I hope that your prognosis with Ella lets you control her pain, and enjoy the final chapter of her life with you. I also hope that you follow your heart, and take a leap of faith to include the new baby in your family if it seems right for you!
Best wishes, and please let us know how things work out.
Joy...Mommy to Tyrone , Gus ,and Beauregarde the poodle
r.i.p. beloved Ozzie and Tucker
|02-10-2019, 11:00 AM||#5|
Yorkie mom of 3
Donating YT Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LaPlata, Md
I want to say Iím very sorry about Ella. The one thing you need to think about is if money is limited you need to make sure that you can afford this second dog and take care of Ella because Ella is your main priority right now. I have four dogs so for anyone to think owning 2 dogs is silly makes me giggle. As far as Knowing if you should get her or not, you will just know.
Taylor, Veterinary Assistant
I Callie CGC NTD, Joey CGC TKP ETD, Penny CGC and Ollie CGC
Taylor's doggy stuff reviews
|02-10-2019, 01:03 PM||#6|
YT 2000 Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: santee, california
Blog Entries: 1
I personally would take her. Keep Ella comfortable. I would not put Ella through chemo and tests. Yet its your decision. I will pray for you to be at peace with your decisions. Life can sure be tough a d thats when I go to the Lord Jesus . He will guide and help and be with me always. A friend that sticks closer than a brother.
|02-10-2019, 02:29 PM||#7|
YT 3000 Club Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Let me 1st say that I'm sorry you are going through this. Brain tumors are not all that common. I would do the MRI as she could have a Chiari that has been undiagnosed & is just starting to give her symptoms. IF this is the case then VERY cheap meds to treat this condition is all you would need. Chiari is a deformity at the base of the skull that doesn't allow the spinal fluid to flow out & often causes a subaracnoid cyst (fluid in the brain ) meds are used to slow the production of the spinal fluid, allowing more time for the drainage of the fluid allows the cyst to also drain. Prayers for you both.
|02-11-2019, 08:56 PM||#8|
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
I am so sorry you are going through this with Ella.
We were also given the heartbreaking diagnosis of a brain tumor in our previous little girl and it destroyed me.
Sophie's official diagnosis came early July of 2017 but the vet had been monitoring her symptoms for a few months prior but we ended up having to put her to sleep August 5th, 2017 after her little body couldn't handle it anymore. We weren't expecting to lose her so quickly and neither was our vet. She had just turned 8 years old and had been stable enough that we were told she could still have a year or two of life left in her.
I was a mess after we put her to sleep and ended up needing my aunt's dog to come and stay with us for a few days so I wasn't without a dog. If you can afford another dog and think you can provide them both with what they need (financially and emotionally), I would do it.
We waited 5 months for a yorkie to be available for adoption in our area and I was miserable but my heart was set on a yorkie and they aren't often available near me in shelters. I know now that I wouldn't have been able to have another dog right away permanently (my aunt's dog left after a few days) because my grief was overwhelming and I could barely take care of myself or our cats. However, you know yourself and if you honestly trust that this second dog will be a positive impact for you now, during and after Ella and you know that a second dog wouldn't add too much stress on Ella (or yourself) follow your heart and add this baby to your home.
Sending you lots of positive wishes.
Bronx (rescued January 2018) & Sophie (2009-2017)
Follow Bronx on Instagram @bronx_the_yorkie
|02-12-2019, 10:13 AM||#9|
YT 500 Club Member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Yok, NY
I say go for it. I like having two dogs so they always have one to play with. Additionally I like them being a few years a part because as one gets older and may pass you still have the little one.
With you I have been struggling trying to decide if I want another yorkie to add to my already two. My heart says absolutely but my head says what about the costs. I have decided I will casually look for a rescue in my area. Pure Bred boy puppy or young age yorkies are hard to come by but I will wait for the perfect addition. I am fussy with what I want so I know if the right puppy comes along it will be at the right time.
I am sorry to hear about Ella. Its so hard when our babies are not feeling well.
Ashley mom to Thumper and Bella RIP Boomer
|03-30-2019, 06:43 PM||#10|
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springfield, va
We just paid about $2500 for an MRI for Gatsby, and that was just the last bill. It didn't show anything unusual, but we thought it was prudent based on the Vets' advise. Tough to take in anther one if you are not in great shape yourself, but I understand how tough it is to be without a Yorkie or two! These guys can be so very expensive emotionally and otherwise when they get old, please think hard about what is best for you. We usually know the right answer, its just so hard sometimes to make that decision.
|cancer, sick, tumor|