YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > In Memory Of... (R.I.P.)
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default End of Life Decisions

I wanted to post something about this as it's near and dear to my heart and it's something that we often don't consider - because well - nobody really wants to think about it and that's understandable.

But my experience has been so positive that I wanted to put it in the back of people's minds a an option that is out there when the time comes that they may need to make an end of life decision for their beloved pets.

We've lost two animals in the last two years due to cancer - our beloved rescue cats Frocious and Housecat both in their teens. We chose palliative measures for both for different reasons (Fro hated any trip to the vets - he was actually a scaredy cat and not really representative of his name at all) and Housecat's cancer was fast and furious. Both involved steroids and pain meds in liquid form from the compounders and the home visit vet was able to prescribe both.

As we were contemplating Frocious's last days, we took him out into the sunshine on a leash and realized that the worst thing we could do would be to take him into the vets when it was time.

So I started looking online and found a great vet in my State for in home euthanasia. It ended up being a very wonderful process (if you could call the process of losing a pet wonderful that is) where the vet came out, checked out Frocious and gave us some feedback and confirmation on where he was in the stages. When it was time, she came again and Frocious was able to leave us and go to the rainbow bridge in our arms, in his home, after having a nice lay out in the sun, and a bit of tuna that morning. It was low stress, and low key and the cost wasn't much more than an office visit of the same type.

I don't want to ponder the day I will lose my beloved Pluto but if I have a say in the process and realistically I know it will probably happen, my wish is that I will be able to do the same and make it as peaceful and as loving as possible and in his own home like we did for Fro.

Thanks for letting me share and my heart goes out to all of us who have emergencies that don't allow for this type of choice.

//www.inhomepeteuthanasia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid =1
impish is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

I am so sorry for your loss of your two kitties. I loss two two years ago within about 6 months of each other. Hugs

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is a great service. I bookmarked it. I have 4 cats and I agree it is very stressful for them to go out. What a great think to make their transition be calm and soothing.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #3

I know with my Vet, they will most certainly make a House Call for the end. Most Vet's will, you just have to ask.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
♥Trained by my pups♥

With my first yorkie Boji we did this very same thing. I found a vet that would come to my home. He absolutely hated the vet office. We could all say our good byes. It was one of the worst days ever. But at least he was at home
Old 02-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Sad Help with end of life decision

Help with end of life decision: I initially posted this as a blog... but think this is a better place for it. Sorry for the repetition:

Fiona, my 12 1/2 year old female Yorkie is having problems. I hadn't thought they were so bad until my daughter came to visit a few weeks ago. The Yorkie had a sister (not a Yorkie) who was just put down a few months ago. The other dog (a Lab/Akita mix) had very severe dementia. My daughter tells me that Fiona is in just as bad a shape but I can't see it because she is so small and when Fiona begins panicking I just pick her up.

Fiona is blind. She doesn't seem to be able to smell either - or at least doesn't seem to smell her food. She can't hear most of the time, or just checks out and can't hear us when we talk to her. She forgets that she is eating when she is at her food bowl (unless she eats outside.. strange). She no longer plays, doesn't like to take walks. If I don't give her medication she is up all night. She cries/barks constantly if she is not exactly next to me or on my lap. She is becoming incontinent... pooping on the bed on the towel where she sleeps (not sure if this is medication related).

Lately she stands in a particular place and just doesn't move for minutes and minutes. Just stands there -- like she is looking out into space. Sometimes she sits and doesn't move.

She makes a hiccup noise on some days... her body shakes a bit like maybe its a small seizure but the vet says its the trachea.

The vet says she is young for these problems, but I think she came from a puppy mill. I also wondered if she might check out when her sister died.

Part me wants to put her to sleep like most of my friends are recommending, but then I feel guilty that I would do that to make my life easier (it certainly has been difficult). The vet has been super supportive (he is great) but I know the decision is ultimately up to me and I am having a really hard time deciding.
Tulsatops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsatops View Post
Help with end of life decision: I initially posted this as a blog... but think this is a better place for it. Sorry for the repetition:

Fiona, my 12 1/2 year old female Yorkie is having problems. I hadn't thought they were so bad until my daughter came to visit a few weeks ago. The Yorkie had a sister (not a Yorkie) who was just put down a few months ago. The other dog (a Lab/Akita mix) had very severe dementia. My daughter tells me that Fiona is in just as bad a shape but I can't see it because she is so small and when Fiona begins panicking I just pick her up.

Fiona is blind. She doesn't seem to be able to smell either - or at least doesn't seem to smell her food. She can't hear most of the time, or just checks out and can't hear us when we talk to her. She forgets that she is eating when she is at her food bowl (unless she eats outside.. strange). She no longer plays, doesn't like to take walks. If I don't give her medication she is up all night. She cries/barks constantly if she is not exactly next to me or on my lap. She is becoming incontinent... pooping on the bed on the towel where she sleeps (not sure if this is medication related).

Lately she stands in a particular place and just doesn't move for minutes and minutes. Just stands there -- like she is looking out into space. Sometimes she sits and doesn't move.

She makes a hiccup noise on some days... her body shakes a bit like maybe its a small seizure but the vet says its the trachea.

The vet says she is young for these problems, but I think she came from a puppy mill. I also wondered if she might check out when her sister died.

Part me wants to put her to sleep like most of my friends are recommending, but then I feel guilty that I would do that to make my life easier (it certainly has been difficult). The vet has been super supportive (he is great) but I know the decision is ultimately up to me and I am having a really hard time deciding.
I'm so sorry to hear of Fiona's issues. I really hope you find some peace in this process. *Prayers*
Tink04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
YT 2000 Club Member

Default dog

I work with hospice and the biggest blessing to a patient is to be in their home. I agree with you about our dogs. If possible that is the best plan. Thanks for sharing that.
sandy simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:

I'm so sorry I didn't see this when you posted it. The last year of my little girl's life, she had dementia. We would have done anything to keep her alive, just as long as she had a good quality of life. My vet didn't think it was necessary to see her as often, but I had her checked out at least every two months, often more often. He assured me that Ashley still had a good quality of life because he saw her responsive she was with me. If she had not responded to Anipryl, which helped her confusion a little bit and her anxiety to a good extent, I don't know if it would have been the right thing to keep her alive. The anxiety took its toll on Ashley and also on my husband and me; we could not bear to think of her suffering. Fortunately the medication helped enough to help our fears. Ashley lived to just shy of seventeen not related to her dementia. If you need any help, I would be very happy to assist you in any way. My prayers are with you and Fiona.

Ashley 6/10, Gracie 2/04, Kiwi 10/03, and Jolie 7/93 .
lisaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by impish View Post
I wanted to post something about this as it's near and dear to my heart and it's something that we often don't consider - because well - nobody really wants to think about it and that's understandable.

But my experience has been so positive that I wanted to put it in the back of people's minds a an option that is out there when the time comes that they may need to make an end of life decision for their beloved pets.

We've lost two animals in the last two years due to cancer - our beloved rescue cats Frocious and Housecat both in their teens. We chose palliative measures for both for different reasons (Fro hated any trip to the vets - he was actually a scaredy cat and not really representative of his name at all) and Housecat's cancer was fast and furious. Both involved steroids and pain meds in liquid form from the compounders and the home visit vet was able to prescribe both.

As we were contemplating Frocious's last days, we took him out into the sunshine on a leash and realized that the worst thing we could do would be to take him into the vets when it was time.

So I started looking online and found a great vet in my State for in home euthanasia. It ended up being a very wonderful process (if you could call the process of losing a pet wonderful that is) where the vet came out, checked out Frocious and gave us some feedback and confirmation on where he was in the stages. When it was time, she came again and Frocious was able to leave us and go to the rainbow bridge in our arms, in his home, after having a nice lay out in the sun, and a bit of tuna that morning. It was low stress, and low key and the cost wasn't much more than an office visit of the same type.

I don't want to ponder the day I will lose my beloved Pluto but if I have a say in the process and realistically I know it will probably happen, my wish is that I will be able to do the same and make it as peaceful and as loving as possible and in his own home like we did for Fro.

Thanks for letting me share and my heart goes out to all of us who have emergencies that don't allow for this type of choice.

//www.inhomepeteuthanasia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid =1
I didn't see this when you posted it, but I want to let you know that I'm very sorry for both of your losses. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Ashley 6/10, Gracie 2/04, Kiwi 10/03, and Jolie 7/93 .
lisaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:

Of course it is very very hard. You love her immensely. When is it time to let her go? The ultimate question with no easy answers.

As trite as it may sound, you will know - deep in your heart when it is time. I deeply believe this and mayhap you will too!

And it will always be the right time, when you decide out of love . Put thoughts of guilt aside - the decision to let go of a loved one is huge. And yes it could make life *easier for you* but that is no reason not to let go of a loved one.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
YT Addict

I hadn't even thought about at home euthanasia until my sister in law had to put her beloved Yorkie to rest unexpectedly at only 7 years old. He had developed serious kidney disease and was in pain and incontinent and just such a sad time. I went down to Brooklyn where she lives to be with her the day she had to let max go and it was such a peaceful process. Not for us but for max... He went comfortably in his moms arms and such a better way to go than the fear and hesitation they feel at the vets office. My precious boy is almost 14 and I've had to take him for a dental as well as routine bloodwork and he is terrified of the vet... Just to see that fear in his eyes kills me and so I know for sure that when the time comes to let him go I will have the vet make a house call and let him go in the comfort of his familiar surroundingame and not scared.
Kerryn915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:27 AM   #12
Senior Yorkie Talker

I agree with Gemy's Treasures. You will know when it's time. I just lost my little 3 pound girl 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I knew it was getting close and I was looking for the signs and praying I wouldn't have to make that tough decision.

My little girl had kidney disease and fought it for 5 years. So with her...the things I was looking for were 1)pulling away from her people and wanting solitude since dogs frequently want to be alone when they pass 2) ammonia breath (this is a kidney thing so not related to your dog) 3)Not being able to keep food down (This was evident for the last day and a half before she passed though she did drink water up until the actual day she died) 4) loss of bladder control ( Again a kidney thing- but can also an end of life thing) It was amazing that she never really lost control of her potty habits even at the end of kidney disease. The morning of the day she died she woke me up to let me know she had to go. She was having trouble with diarrhea- but she still warned us when it was imminent even up to 4 hours before she died) and that last and most important thing I was watching for was 5) Signs of pain... you know your dog. Panting, Shivering, Dilated eyes, standing up moving restlessly and sitting back down can all be signs of pain. If they are in pain- don't let them suffer.

I tool her to the vet the morning of the day she died and he said she wasn't showing any signs of pain and seemed to still be comforted by being held and around me and she was responsive to both of us. He did warn that she didn't look good and that I probably needed to prepare myself. ( I don't think you can ever be " prepared" for THAT. ) I took her home and held her while I read for a few hours. Around 1pm I noticed her breathing was getting shallower and that her body temperature was dropping. I wrapped us both up in a heated blanket. And I felt her heat rate gradually get slower and slower. I stroked her and told her what a good girl she was and how much I loved her and that it was OK to go when she was ready. In the last few minutes she started twitching and became unresponsive. The twitching is caused when kidneys stop processing and minerals and toxins build up in the blood and it is the VERY last stage of kidney disease. I kept stroking her and soothing her anyway. She passed about 30 minutes after she because unresponsive. It was the hardest thing I have ever gone through and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. For me- I was glad that she got to go in her own way and I didn't have to make the decision to put her to sleep. Those last few hours when I knew she was saying goodbye were the most precious minutes I had with her and I treasured each second because I knew those second were so finite. That said had the vet indicated that she was in pain and there was nothing more to do- I would have made that decision. I would never knowingly allow my baby to suffer.

Either way- it sucks. But you will know what is right for you and your baby when the time comes. Educate yourself with the stages of dementia if that is what you think she has and learn what to look for as it progresses, and when you see that she has no quality of life and really doesn't have the will to live or ceases to want to be around you... it's probably time. You can either make the decision...or she will make it for you. Dogs stop eating and do many other things when they are ready to go. But I really think you will know in your gut. And like others have said. You follow your heart and do what you think is the right thing to do..and that you know you can live with after it is all said and done. I am so so sorry for both you and your baby.
oneofakind864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

I just want to say something about in home euthanasia. We had wanted to do that and a vet at my vets clinic does do that - but when Zoey was ready to go, it was a Sat am and the clinic was just too busy and so we had to take her into the clinic. Next time I will try to look for a service that can be available to me 24 7