View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
impish
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default End of Life Decisions

I wanted to post something about this as it's near and dear to my heart and it's something that we often don't consider - because well - nobody really wants to think about it and that's understandable.

But my experience has been so positive that I wanted to put it in the back of people's minds a an option that is out there when the time comes that they may need to make an end of life decision for their beloved pets.

We've lost two animals in the last two years due to cancer - our beloved rescue cats Frocious and Housecat both in their teens. We chose palliative measures for both for different reasons (Fro hated any trip to the vets - he was actually a scaredy cat and not really representative of his name at all) and Housecat's cancer was fast and furious. Both involved steroids and pain meds in liquid form from the compounders and the home visit vet was able to prescribe both.

As we were contemplating Frocious's last days, we took him out into the sunshine on a leash and realized that the worst thing we could do would be to take him into the vets when it was time.

So I started looking online and found a great vet in my State for in home euthanasia. It ended up being a very wonderful process (if you could call the process of losing a pet wonderful that is) where the vet came out, checked out Frocious and gave us some feedback and confirmation on where he was in the stages. When it was time, she came again and Frocious was able to leave us and go to the rainbow bridge in our arms, in his home, after having a nice lay out in the sun, and a bit of tuna that morning. It was low stress, and low key and the cost wasn't much more than an office visit of the same type.

I don't want to ponder the day I will lose my beloved Pluto but if I have a say in the process and realistically I know it will probably happen, my wish is that I will be able to do the same and make it as peaceful and as loving as possible and in his own home like we did for Fro.

Thanks for letting me share and my heart goes out to all of us who have emergencies that don't allow for this type of choice.

//www.inhomepeteuthanasia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid =1
impish is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!