View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
Tink04
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsatops View Post
Help with end of life decision: I initially posted this as a blog... but think this is a better place for it. Sorry for the repetition:

Fiona, my 12 1/2 year old female Yorkie is having problems. I hadn't thought they were so bad until my daughter came to visit a few weeks ago. The Yorkie had a sister (not a Yorkie) who was just put down a few months ago. The other dog (a Lab/Akita mix) had very severe dementia. My daughter tells me that Fiona is in just as bad a shape but I can't see it because she is so small and when Fiona begins panicking I just pick her up.

Fiona is blind. She doesn't seem to be able to smell either - or at least doesn't seem to smell her food. She can't hear most of the time, or just checks out and can't hear us when we talk to her. She forgets that she is eating when she is at her food bowl (unless she eats outside.. strange). She no longer plays, doesn't like to take walks. If I don't give her medication she is up all night. She cries/barks constantly if she is not exactly next to me or on my lap. She is becoming incontinent... pooping on the bed on the towel where she sleeps (not sure if this is medication related).

Lately she stands in a particular place and just doesn't move for minutes and minutes. Just stands there -- like she is looking out into space. Sometimes she sits and doesn't move.

She makes a hiccup noise on some days... her body shakes a bit like maybe its a small seizure but the vet says its the trachea.

The vet says she is young for these problems, but I think she came from a puppy mill. I also wondered if she might check out when her sister died.

Part me wants to put her to sleep like most of my friends are recommending, but then I feel guilty that I would do that to make my life easier (it certainly has been difficult). The vet has been super supportive (he is great) but I know the decision is ultimately up to me and I am having a really hard time deciding.
I'm so sorry to hear of Fiona's issues. I really hope you find some peace in this process. *Prayers*
Tink04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!