View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 12:27 AM   #12
oneofakind864
Senior Yorkie Talker

I agree with Gemy's Treasures. You will know when it's time. I just lost my little 3 pound girl 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I knew it was getting close and I was looking for the signs and praying I wouldn't have to make that tough decision.

My little girl had kidney disease and fought it for 5 years. So with her...the things I was looking for were 1)pulling away from her people and wanting solitude since dogs frequently want to be alone when they pass 2) ammonia breath (this is a kidney thing so not related to your dog) 3)Not being able to keep food down (This was evident for the last day and a half before she passed though she did drink water up until the actual day she died) 4) loss of bladder control ( Again a kidney thing- but can also an end of life thing) It was amazing that she never really lost control of her potty habits even at the end of kidney disease. The morning of the day she died she woke me up to let me know she had to go. She was having trouble with diarrhea- but she still warned us when it was imminent even up to 4 hours before she died) and that last and most important thing I was watching for was 5) Signs of pain... you know your dog. Panting, Shivering, Dilated eyes, standing up moving restlessly and sitting back down can all be signs of pain. If they are in pain- don't let them suffer.

I tool her to the vet the morning of the day she died and he said she wasn't showing any signs of pain and seemed to still be comforted by being held and around me and she was responsive to both of us. He did warn that she didn't look good and that I probably needed to prepare myself. ( I don't think you can ever be " prepared" for THAT. ) I took her home and held her while I read for a few hours. Around 1pm I noticed her breathing was getting shallower and that her body temperature was dropping. I wrapped us both up in a heated blanket. And I felt her heat rate gradually get slower and slower. I stroked her and told her what a good girl she was and how much I loved her and that it was OK to go when she was ready. In the last few minutes she started twitching and became unresponsive. The twitching is caused when kidneys stop processing and minerals and toxins build up in the blood and it is the VERY last stage of kidney disease. I kept stroking her and soothing her anyway. She passed about 30 minutes after she because unresponsive. It was the hardest thing I have ever gone through and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. For me- I was glad that she got to go in her own way and I didn't have to make the decision to put her to sleep. Those last few hours when I knew she was saying goodbye were the most precious minutes I had with her and I treasured each second because I knew those second were so finite. That said had the vet indicated that she was in pain and there was nothing more to do- I would have made that decision. I would never knowingly allow my baby to suffer.

Either way- it sucks. But you will know what is right for you and your baby when the time comes. Educate yourself with the stages of dementia if that is what you think she has and learn what to look for as it progresses, and when you see that she has no quality of life and really doesn't have the will to live or ceases to want to be around you... it's probably time. You can either make the decision...or she will make it for you. Dogs stop eating and do many other things when they are ready to go. But I really think you will know in your gut. And like others have said. You follow your heart and do what you think is the right thing to do..and that you know you can live with after it is all said and done. I am so so sorry for both you and your baby.
oneofakind864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!