YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post

I always sit on the floor to play fetch with my guys. They like that.

Max would happily play all day long, but he understands when I say that I need to work -- or just do my own thing. The key is that we have a daily schedule of activities. Both of the dogs relax knowing that at certain times of the day, they are going to have their walk, their games, or a car ride. When I surprise them with something extra, then they are extra happy.
I always sit down too. What we usually do is go in the backyard, I take my camping chair outside and have myself a seat.. He will usually play ball for 30 mins then he is on to something else.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
Yorkie Talker

It's too bad you don't feel better, because it sounds like you have the makings of a fly ball champ! Maybe you can get a mini Chuckit? The mini version holds smaller balls for smaller dogs. It grabs the ball without having to bend down.

I was laid up for a few years with a hip injury and one of my dogs at the time thought I stayed home from work solely to entertain him. I put his fetch obsession to good use and trained him to retrieve small objects like the phone, remotes, keys, socks/slippers, etc. The key was he did not get a reward until he placed the object in my hand. Same for the toys. If he didn't put in my hand, no game. He figured it out quickly. He also learned to entertain himself by tossing his ball down a flight of stairs and retrieving it. He'd do that for hours.

My upstairs neighbor gives her a dog a kong stuffed with cheese or peanut butter and I can hear him playing with it all day. He drops it off the bed and chases it. There are lots of interactive toys that keep dogs busy and stimulate their minds. All of my dogs love buster cubes. You put some of the dog's daily kibble ration in and they use their paws, nose, and brain to get it out.

I have debilitating back pain and lupus. With the pain and fatigue, I can't always give my dog a proper walk, so I bring him to the dog park where he can run off his extra energy while I conserve mine. He's a complete couch potato the rest of the day after that.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #18
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Forget drugging your pup. Benadryl is not a solution. Use training. She needs to know that you can't always play fetch.

There are more alternatives. Get a bucket of little balls to put at a comfortable level for you when your back hurts. You can use a broom and dust pan on a pole to pick them up so that you don't need to bend over. Or get an automatic ball launcher: GoDogGo Automatic Ball Launcher & Tennis Ball Thrower for Dogs - GoDogGo Fetch Machine Official Web Site
That is a great idea!! I actually have one of those claw things and I can use THAT to pick up the ball and the other squeaky toy. I didn't even think of using it. Thanks!!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy512 View Post
Well considering you gave your dog Benadryl for a reason other than what its intentional usage permits. Yeah, I would consider that drugging your pet.!

Just bc you don't want to play games.??
That's quite selfish to your pets needs.
Meaning health.
Ahh excuse me, but my VET suggested using the Benadryl when I HAD to keep her calm because she had her toe nail pulled out. Also, the breeder who I always check with before I give my dog ANYTHING that I am unsure of, suggested the Benadryl as well. And BOTH my vet and the breeder suggested giving her Benadryl for seasonal allergies, which I don't do because I don't agree with giving her something like that on a regular basis.

And for your information, I take better care of my dog than a lot of people take care of their kids. I am almost crippled with my back and hip right now, so I am UNABLE to "play games" as you put it. I normally walk her an hour a day and play with her at least another hour a day. I just could not do either thing yesterday and because of that she was off the wall hyper.

I can't do that right now, so I am asking for suggestions from people here who have had Yorkies for years.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportschick View Post
Ahh excuse me, but my VET suggested using the Benadryl when I HAD to keep her calm because she had her toe nail pulled out. Also, the breeder who I always check with before I give my dog ANYTHING that I am unsure of, suggested the Benadryl as well. And BOTH my vet and the breeder suggested giving her Benadryl for seasonal allergies, which I don't do because I don't agree with giving her something like that on a regular basis.

And for your information, I take better care of my dog than a lot of people take care of their kids. I am almost crippled with my back and hip right now, so I am UNABLE to "play games" as you put it. I normally walk her an hour a day and play with her at least another hour a day. I just could not do either thing yesterday and because of that she was off the wall hyper.

I can't do that right now, so I am asking for suggestions from people here who have had Yorkies for years.
What are you limited to? I have bad back problems as well, so I know how hard it can be when they want to play and you want to lay on your heating pad and rest...

Does she bring the ball back to you?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #21
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
That is a great idea!! I actually have one of those claw things and I can use THAT to pick up the ball and the other squeaky toy. I didn't even think of using it. Thanks!!
Great idea.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #22
Senior Yorkie Talker

O.K., I need to clarify something here. First off, the Benadryl WAS recommended by my vet and by her breeder for seasonal allergies (which I won't do because I don't agree with giving her anything like that on a regular basis) and for a short term solution to keep her calm when she had to have her nail pulled out 2 months ago. I hated having to give it to her, but it was the only way to keep her from hurting herself more.

Secondly, as I responded to a poster here, I take care of my dog better than a lot of people take care of their human kids. She is my baby and there isn't anything I wouldn't do to keep her healthy and happy. Part of that is her exercise and playing with her. I am making myself worse by continuing to walk her and bend down, so I have to find another solution, hence my posting here as I have always gotten good information.

Normally, I walk her at least an hour a day, broken down into 2 or 3 walks. I play with her in the a.m. with one of her balls while I get ready for work. She then comes into work with me and I take her home for lunch (I live a mile from my work, so I am very lucky and everyone in work loves her so they don't mind her being here). We go for one of our walks and I go back to work. When I get home, I feed her and we go for another walk (it is more difficult now because it is dark when I get home, and I don't like walking around in the dark where I live). We then play with here REALLY squeaky ball for another 1/2 hour or so, and then I tell her she is done playing, it is my turn to relax. She is fine, goes on the couch and waits for me to take a shower, etc. She will then just go on the bed and go to sleep and I eat my supper and watch some t.v.

That is basically our routine and it works fine EXCEPT now that my back and hip are out. I having been pushing myself through this pain, still walking her and playing, but it is just making my back worse so I have to find another way to get her exercised and me some rest. Last night was SO bad and she was SO hyper, I gave her the Benadryl, and a really small amount. It isn't something I do on a regular basis. I also have GNC calming tablets that I give her sometimes when she is bouncing off the walls. Again, I don't use them all the time.

As far as getting a dog walker, there isn't anyone that I know who can walk her because everyone works. I would not trust anyone I didn't know, i.e. someone I paid to walk her. I live in a city and there are too many very large dogs around. I have to be very vigilant myself when we walk and I would not trust someone to keep her safe. People leave their dogs out during the day in their yards and those dogs charge the fences at my dog when we walk by. I also have to pick her up repeatedly because of the pit bulls, rottweilers and other HUGE dogs that people own around where I live. I take owning this dog very seriously and it is my responsibility to keep her safe. So, no depending on others to walk her is not an option, unfortunately.

As far as dog parks go, again she is too small and the other dogs are too huge. I take her once a week to my friend's house in the suburbs to run around in her fenced in yard. I can only do that on the weekend.

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions and I am going to try them tonight.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #23
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespandp View Post
What are you limited to? I have bad back problems as well, so I know how hard it can be when they want to play and you want to lay on your heating pad and rest...

Does she bring the ball back to you?
RIght now, I can't even freakin walk very good. It is my whole left side. Have been going to my chiro, but it isn't helping. I might have to resort to a cortisone shot in my hip. This happened to me once before like this and I got the shot and it helped immediately. I don't want to do it, but I might have to. I have a terrible spine and my chiro keeps me going. Also have fibromyalgia, again my chiro keeps me going. Not this time though, it is kind of scaring me.

She brings the ball back to me, kind of flings it at me, but it lands on the floor. Sometimes she just races around the house with it and ends up on the couch with it. We also play tug of war with her other squeaky toy and then I will grab the ball and fling it so she has to run after it. I have a long enough hallway that she gets some exercise. She really loves to play and I love playing with her.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #24
Cedric♥Lola♥Keylo
Donating Member

I don't have any suggestions others than the great ones that have been added just wanted to send you prayers for healing.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #25
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
RIght now, I can't even freakin walk very good. It is my whole left side. Have been going to my chiro, but it isn't helping. I might have to resort to a cortisone shot in my hip. This happened to me once before like this and I got the shot and it helped immediately. I don't want to do it, but I might have to. I have a terrible spine and my chiro keeps me going. Also have fibromyalgia, again my chiro keeps me going. Not this time though, it is kind of scaring me.

She brings the ball back to me, kind of flings it at me, but it lands on the floor. Sometimes she just races around the house with it and ends up on the couch with it. We also play tug of war with her other squeaky toy and then I will grab the ball and fling it so she has to run after it. I have a long enough hallway that she gets some exercise. She really loves to play and I love playing with her.

Aw man, I’m sorry to hear that. Sounds like you are dealing with a lot of pain. I’ve had the cortisone injections and they didn’t work for me.. I also just had my nerves burned and that didn’t work either.. anyways- hopefully it will let up soon. Do you have pain meds to take? It really sucks being in pain, on top of it having a sweet little Yorkie look in your eyes and bring their ball to you and not understand. Thankfully for me Peanut understands, he will pretty much feeds off what I’m doing. When he wants to run he will bring me his ball, and I will lay on the couch and throw it down the hall! ( we have a long hallway too) Works perfect.. it’s amazing how much energy those little bodies can hold!!

Well that’s great she brings the ball back to you, since she does that you can probably work with her and teach her to drop the ball in your hands. Get a little bag of treats, when she brings the ball back tell her to “drop it” and stick your hand out with your palm open, try to keep your hand under the ball so when she does drop it the ball goes in the palm of your hand.. It sounds like she will be more than capable of learning that trick, then it will help you not have to bend over to get the ball from her.. plus it will teach her the “drop it” command, which is always a good trick to have!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #26
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
O.K., I need to clarify something here. First off, the Benadryl WAS recommended by my vet and by her breeder for seasonal allergies (which I won't do because I don't agree with giving her anything like that on a regular basis) and for a short term solution to keep her calm when she had to have her nail pulled out 2 months ago. I hated having to give it to her, but it was the only way to keep her from hurting herself more.

Secondly, as I responded to a poster here, I take care of my dog better than a lot of people take care of their human kids. She is my baby and there isn't anything I wouldn't do to keep her healthy and happy. Part of that is her exercise and playing with her. I am making myself worse by continuing to walk her and bend down, so I have to find another solution, hence my posting here as I have always gotten good information.

Normally, I walk her at least an hour a day, broken down into 2 or 3 walks. I play with her in the a.m. with one of her balls while I get ready for work. She then comes into work with me and I take her home for lunch (I live a mile from my work, so I am very lucky and everyone in work loves her so they don't mind her being here). We go for one of our walks and I go back to work. When I get home, I feed her and we go for another walk (it is more difficult now because it is dark when I get home, and I don't like walking around in the dark where I live). We then play with here REALLY squeaky ball for another 1/2 hour or so, and then I tell her she is done playing, it is my turn to relax. She is fine, goes on the couch and waits for me to take a shower, etc. She will then just go on the bed and go to sleep and I eat my supper and watch some t.v.

That is basically our routine and it works fine EXCEPT now that my back and hip are out. I having been pushing myself through this pain, still walking her and playing, but it is just making my back worse so I have to find another way to get her exercised and me some rest. Last night was SO bad and she was SO hyper, I gave her the Benadryl, and a really small amount. It isn't something I do on a regular basis. I also have GNC calming tablets that I give her sometimes when she is bouncing off the walls. Again, I don't use them all the time.

As far as getting a dog walker, there isn't anyone that I know who can walk her because everyone works. I would not trust anyone I didn't know, i.e. someone I paid to walk her. I live in a city and there are too many very large dogs around. I have to be very vigilant myself when we walk and I would not trust someone to keep her safe. People leave their dogs out during the day in their yards and those dogs charge the fences at my dog when we walk by. I also have to pick her up repeatedly because of the pit bulls, rottweilers and other HUGE dogs that people own around where I live. I take owning this dog very seriously and it is my responsibility to keep her safe. So, no depending on others to walk her is not an option, unfortunately.

As far as dog parks go, again she is too small and the other dogs are too huge. I take her once a week to my friend's house in the suburbs to run around in her fenced in yard. I can only do that on the weekend.

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions and I am going to try them tonight.
I am so sorry you are in so much pain, believe me I understand as my pain levels go through the roof every day. Do you see a pain management doctor? That is the dr I was at yesterday. If it weren't for my pain meds, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed each day. There are a lot stigmas attached to taking pain meds, but if you need them, I would take the. I just know my life would be miserable without them. Sending good thoughts your way that your pain gets better.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
YT 500 Club Member

Hey don't beat yourself up. There are plenty of moms of human kids who have resorted to the same thing when their kids would not sleep. Some people just get high and mighty on here sometimes but just try and ignore those who may not be very good at tempering their words.
I think most dogs will adapt to situations as they change. It may take a while but eventually your pup will realize you cant be her playmate all the time. Your doing the best you can and sounds to me like your baby has a loving home that most dogs would love to have..
Go RED SOX
Go PATRIOTS! it was quite a sunday for us Bostonians!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #28
YT 500 Club Member

The rescue of Gizmo for me came right when it needed to, my dr had recommended my getting a service, companion dog to help me with my injuries, and he has helped me a lot in pushing me out of my comfort zone. I'm actually going to find out what training Is required to have him certified, so he can go everywhere with me. I am permanently handicapped due to my spinal cord injury, and Gizmo has helped me immensely since I rescued him. My mental state has been more upbeat, as well as I have been doing much more physically.

It pushes me past my comfort zone and pain levels, and Gizmo also has been learning just by sensing I think, when I need a break, and he seems to know how to play with himself and occupy himself when needed. Don't get me wrong, he's always in my sight, and he's never bored, I just switch out the toys often and play as much as I can.

Gizmo actually can occupy himself into the zoomies quite well playing on his own,once I give him a new batch of toys he hasn't seen in a while, and totally tires himself out. Have you tried making different batches of toys, and then when your not feeling so great and need to lay down on the couch, you can take out a new batch of toys switching them out, so it will make your pup excited? I have found by keeping 3 separate batches, once the old ones rotate through, it's like they are new all over again creating very high excitement to play with them. Heck when he first gets a batch rotated, for a god hour or two, he doesn't even want to share with me, as he gets reacquainted with them :-) I have about 8 to 9 toys in each of the batches. Home goods has some awesome toys at a fraction of the cost compared to pet stored, also while rotating them, it gives me a chance to throw the old batch through the washer and get them all nice and clean again for the next rotation :-) he is also a fetchaholic lol :-) hope this might be something that will help :-)

Last edited by Sunnydayz; 10-17-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydayz View Post
The rescue of Gizmo for me came right when it needed to, my dr had recommended my getting a service, companion dog to help me with my injuries, and he has helped me a lot in pushing me out of my comfort zone. I'm actually going to find out what training Is required to have him certified, so he can go everywhere with me. I am permanently handicapped due to my spinal cord injury, and Gizmo has helped me immensely since I rescued him. My mental state has been more upbeat, as well as I have been doing much more physically.

It pushes me past my comfort zone and pain levels, and Gizmo also has been learning just by sensing I think, when I need a break, and he seems to know how to play with himself and occupy himself when needed. Don't get me wrong, he's always in my sight, and he's never bored, I just switch out the toys often and play as much as I can.

Gizmo actually can occupy himself into the zoomies quite well playing on his own,once I give him a new batch of toys he hasn't seen in a while, and totally tires himself out. Have you tried making different batches of toys, and then when your not feeling so great and need to lay down on the couch, you can take out a new batch of toys switching them out, so it will make your pup excited? I have found by keeping 3 separate batches, once the old ones rotate through, it's like they are new all over again creating very high excitement to play with them. Heck when he first gets a batch rotated, for a god hour or two, he doesn't even want to share with me, as he gets reacquainted with them :-) I have about 8 to 9 toys in each of the batches. Home goods has some awesome toys at a fraction of the cost compared to pet stored, also while rotating them, it gives me a chance to throw the old batch through the washer and get them all nice and clean again for the next rotation :-) he is also a fetchaholic lol :-) hope this might be something that will help :-)

Beanie doesn't like any other kinds of toys except for the squeaky balls and her other hot dog type squeaky. She is such a strange little doggie sometimes!

I am so sorry to hear about your own injuries and I am glad that your dog is so good with and for you!!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimp5 View Post
Hey don't beat yourself up. There are plenty of moms of human kids who have resorted to the same thing when their kids would not sleep. Some people just get high and mighty on here sometimes but just try and ignore those who may not be very good at tempering their words.
I think most dogs will adapt to situations as they change. It may take a while but eventually your pup will realize you cant be her playmate all the time. Your doing the best you can and sounds to me like your baby has a loving home that most dogs would love to have..
Go RED SOX
Go PATRIOTS! it was quite a sunday for us Bostonians!
THank you!!!

Yes, Sunday was great, last night not so much. Stupid Sox!!
Closed Thread