YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Yorkie Yakker
 
yorkiebebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manila, Phillipines
Posts: 72
Question My yorkie doesn't like kids.

I was wondering if any of you have the same problem. Chewie doesn't like kids. Whenever a kid will try to approach him Chewie will start barking like crazy. I feel sorry for the kids who wants to pet him. But Chewie won't let them. It gets really bad. One time he barked like a crazy at this little boy, and I tried to calm Chewie down, and he accidentally bit me, really hard.
I'm getting tired of this behaviour. My friend's groomer said small dogs usually do this as a defense mechanism. He was fine when he was a puppy. This behaviour started at around 6 months. Am I the only one with this problem? And how can I stop this behaviour? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Hope you all are having a wonderful day!
__________________
I MY CHEWIE www.ajdeeandme.blogspot.com
yorkiebebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
sullita84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiebebe View Post
I was wondering if any of you have the same problem. Chewie doesn't like kids. Whenever a kid will try to approach him Chewie will start barking like crazy. I feel sorry for the kids who wants to pet him. But Chewie won't let them. It gets really bad. One time he barked like a crazy at this little boy, and I tried to calm Chewie down, and he accidentally bit me, really hard.
I'm getting tired of this behaviour. My friend's groomer said small dogs usually do this as a defense mechanism. He was fine when he was a puppy. This behaviour started at around 6 months. Am I the only one with this problem? And how can I stop this behaviour? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Hope you all are having a wonderful day!
my yorkie does the same, he barks at little kids, specially the one that try to pet him. I thought of having my little niece come over and have her give Marley some treats, and that way it may help him get use to being around kids, and then slowly introduce him to other children.
sullita84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Donating YT 2000 Club Member
 
DvlshAngel985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
Posts: 12,693
Default

Kaji growls at toddlers, from the safety of my lap of course. Guess I won't be having kids!
__________________
Littlest JakJak
We miss you Kaji
DvlshAngel985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Donating YT 1000 Club Member
 
Lorraine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Posts: 2,060
Default

It isn't unusual and some yorkies will never be ok with small children. I warn people about that if they are thinking about getting a yorkie but have small children or have small kids in their lives.
__________________
Lorraine
www.loribenyorkies.com
Canada
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
YT 500 Club Member
 
joeyandtanksmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kuna,ID,USA
Posts: 557
Default

In a lot of places, I have read and heard that Yorkies typically don't do well with children - fortunately for me, I have never run into that problem with my boys. They both LOVE kids, especially Joey. Tank is very shy, but once a kid has him, he's generally fine. Neither of them has ever barked, growled, or snapped at a child. I wish you luck!
__________________
Sandy: Joey & Tank's Mom
Jackson Ryan
joeyandtanksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
TaylorWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 238
Blog Entries: 3
Default

My Yorkie LOVES kids! she is very tolerant of them. I have 2 nieces aged 5 and 2 and when I got her they would BEG me to bring her over so she spent lots of time being carried around by them! She tires of them very quickly now but will just find me and stick by my feet. They feed her and run around with her which she loves and I have never had a problem. Our neighbours 2 year old often comes to my door to see her and she just gets super excited and wants to play!

Each dog is different though and I suppose though that they are very small little dogs and a boisterous child could scare them. as with everything, small doses are key. you dont want to bombard your dog and force them to like kids. perhaps a child hurt or scared him that you arent even aware of and he remembers that? You never know...

Be patient with him and introduce kids slowly and calmly. Perhaps he will just never like kids and that's just his personality. the kids must also know that he needs to be respected and treated gently and not rushed upon as kids often do!

Perhaps it may also be jealousy? Mine isn't aggressive at all but as soon as my fiance tried to give me attention she is on top of his head trying to distract him and get his attention back to her.

the biting concerns me tho - definitely sounds like a defense mechanism. he's afraid and probably gets so uptight he turns on you not realising he is doing it. Does he cower and hide after he bit you like he feels he is in trouble? or does his hysteria just carry on like he didnt notice he bit you at all? Perhaps when you are expecting kids to arrive put him on his leash and train and reward him for even the slightest calm behaviour training and reward can do wonders!

How does he act when the kids are just around and not paying him attention? does he still bark and get upset?
__________________
Kristin, Taylor & Trigger
TaylorWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
anevarez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hebbronville, Texas
Posts: 243
Default

My Chloe is only 6 months, but she has a problem with my 17 month old. She does fine with my 6,5, and almost 3 year old but avoids the baby. She isn't aggressive with her, and licks her if she has been gone with my parents for a while - but isn't as crazy about her as with the others. She adores my almost 3 year old and does not leave her site... If I tickle my almost 3 year old she will growl at me - I think she thinks I am hurting her!
anevarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
♥I Luv my BaileyBlue♥
Donating Member
 
chandracz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,855
Default

Bailey doesn't like kids. He used to when he was a pup. He was ALWAYS supervised when around kids, never left alone for a second. As he gets older he just doesn't like them. He will growl and actually try to snip at them. I won't let any kid near or around him now. I think they can sense the anxiety and restlessness of a child maybe?
__________________
Chandra, Bailey Blue's mama
chandracz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyandtanksmom View Post
In a lot of places, I have read and heard that Yorkies typically don't do well with children - fortunately for me, I have never run into that problem with my boys. They both LOVE kids, especially Joey. Tank is very shy, but once a kid has him, he's generally fine. Neither of them has ever barked, growled, or snapped at a child. I wish you luck!
Jackson's like Tank. He's very shy when it comes to kids but I typically carry treats with me, so if a kid wants to pet Jackson, I ask if they want to give him a treat, and if they do... then he will let the kids pet him and he loves them forever! LOL. He's never barked or snapped or anything. He growled at a kid one time and the kid was staring Jackson right into his eyes and I guess he got intimidated, that was the only time a little growl came out of him, I've never heard him do it otherwise.

So if it's possible, I would try to get out to parks, etc and socialize him more kids and see if kids wanna throw down some treats for him, etc. Just take it slowly. He tends to like girls better than boys!

However... my 6 year old brother, Camron, he LOVES him to pieces!! He's constantly around him and a 2 year old girl, and he will allow the 2 yr old to pull his ears, pet him, stick her hand in his food bowl, take away his bones, he really loves her and could care less. But of course they're always supervised.
__________________
~ Brit & Lights! Camera! Jackson! CGC ETD TKP ~

Last edited by Britster; 04-23-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
BANNED!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,603
Default

Our yourkie girl does not care for little kids. While she will not attack, she avoids them, barks at them, and will snarl! When we are out with both dogs and little kids ask to pet the Yorkie, we tell them no, to pet the big dog isntead. He loves kids....

We socialized her to the hilt, she was never hurt by a kid, she just does not like them. That includes family and friends. I guess some are just like that. But, there are days where I do not like kids either. Great thing now is, they come for a visit, and leave!
shodanusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
YT 1000 Club Member
 
MollysMum54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: England,UK
Posts: 1,176
Default

Molly isn't good with children at all, especially schoolboys with backpacks. As she is a rescue, i don't know if its something from her past, or if she just doesnt like children. I have trained her to be nice to the 4 year old girl next door, but if she is running in the garden shouting, Molly barks like crazy.
i will be interested to see if anyone can come up with some good ideas to help....please!
__________________
Saving one dog doesn't change the world, but it changes the world for that dog.
MollysMum54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member
 
yorkieusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,173
Default

Kacee won't bark or bite them. But she does look like someone is beating her when they pay attention to her. The other day she saw a little girl that wasn't much bigger than her and she started following her around. It was so cute! Then the little girl dropped her bottle and Kacee was going to get it!
__________________
Karen Kacee
Muffin 1991-2005 Rest in Peace My Little Angel
yorkieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
Yorkie Yakker
 
yorkiebebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manila, Phillipines
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorWoods View Post
My Yorkie LOVES kids! she is very tolerant of them. I have 2 nieces aged 5 and 2 and when I got her they would BEG me to bring her over so she spent lots of time being carried around by them! She tires of them very quickly now but will just find me and stick by my feet. They feed her and run around with her which she loves and I have never had a problem. Our neighbours 2 year old often comes to my door to see her and she just gets super excited and wants to play!

Each dog is different though and I suppose though that they are very small little dogs and a boisterous child could scare them. as with everything, small doses are key. you dont want to bombard your dog and force them to like kids. perhaps a child hurt or scared him that you arent even aware of and he remembers that? You never know...

Be patient with him and introduce kids slowly and calmly. Perhaps he will just never like kids and that's just his personality. the kids must also know that he needs to be respected and treated gently and not rushed upon as kids often do!

Perhaps it may also be jealousy? Mine isn't aggressive at all but as soon as my fiance tried to give me attention she is on top of his head trying to distract him and get his attention back to her.

the biting concerns me tho - definitely sounds like a defense mechanism. he's afraid and probably gets so uptight he turns on you not realising he is doing it. Does he cower and hide after he bit you like he feels he is in trouble? or does his hysteria just carry on like he didnt notice he bit you at all? Perhaps when you are expecting kids to arrive put him on his leash and train and reward him for even the slightest calm behaviour training and reward can do wonders!

How does he act when the kids are just around and not paying him attention? does he still bark and get upset?
Thanks for all your replies. I do remember one incident when my bf's 4 year old cousin held him and dropped him on the floor. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

He only bit me once. He didn't notice it. I was trying to move his head away from the kid, I guess my hand got near his mouth.

Yes he still gets upset around children who don't pay attention to him. They can just be walking by and he'll start to bark,I'm talking about barking like he wants to kill the kid. And he won't stop until the kid is out of sight.
Maybe I should just avoid children all together...
__________________
I MY CHEWIE www.ajdeeandme.blogspot.com
yorkiebebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
YT Addict
 
charmed239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: w.leisenring pa usa
Posts: 381
Default

Yep same here. I think its a yorkie thing. Riley was fine with them as a puppy, but after he turned 1, not no more. he is fine with my son who is 10. but we have kids in the neighborhood that are in kindergarden. and we live beside the bus stop. I have to make sure he is inside when the bus comes. cuz we have a fenced in yard and the little kids try to stick their fingers through the fence to pet him. and he bit one of them..not hard didn't even leave a mark, but it was still a bite in my opinion. scared the crap out of the little girt too...but what I dont get, is that all the mothers in my neighborhood know that Riley does not like strangers or little kids. but they continue to let there kids go over and stick their fingers through the fence.. and why these kids would want to in the first place is beyond me...cuz from the minute the kids get off the bus, Riley runs back and fourth at the fence and barks and growl's..So ya thats the dog I would want to stick my fingers at.....so no Riley is not a member of the little kid fan club.
__________________
LISA, MOM TO RILEY BLUE & BELLA MIA

Last edited by charmed239; 04-23-2010 at 12:13 PM.
charmed239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
♥I Luv my BaileyBlue♥
Donating Member
 
chandracz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,855
Default

Bailey is tolerable to my boyfriend's son who is with us every other weekend, but that took a LOT of work. The only other kid he will let near him is my neice because she used to be with me every weekend since Bailey was a puppy. My neice and my bf's son are both 11 and Bailey has to be in a mood to let them pet him but they will leave him alone if he wants to be left alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed239 View Post
Yep same here. I think its a yorkie thing. Riley was fine with them as a puppy, but after he turned 1, not no more. he is fine with my son who is 10. but we have kids in the neighborhood that are in kindergarden. and we live beside the bus stop. I have to make sure he is inside when the bus comes. cuz we have a fenced in yard and the little kids try to stick their fingers through the fence to pet him. and he bit one of them..not hard didn't even leave a mark, but it was still a bite in my opinion. scared the crap out of the little girt too...but what I dont get, is that all the mothers in my neighborhood know that Riley does not like strangers or little kids. but they continue to let there kids go over and stick their fingers through the fence.. and why these kids would want to in the first place is beyond me...cuz from the minute the kids get off the bus, Riley runs back and fourth at the fence and barks and growl's..So ya thats the dog I would want to stick my fingers at.....so no Riley is not a member of the little kid fan club.
__________________
Chandra, Bailey Blue's mama
chandracz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163