YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Training Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
hearttx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Anna, TX
Posts: 147
Default Frustrated with 9 month pup that is not housebroken!!!

Ok, so I have a 9 month old yorkie that was a puppy mill rescue that has been terrribly inbred and weighs 13 lbs. I have had him since he was 10 weeks old. He was the easiest dog I have every housebroken. Smart as a whip. I just got a 9 month old champion sired pup and he came with bad habits with housebreaking. The owner did not watch him and he learned bad habits like pooping and marking. I have had him 3 weeks and with the aid of belly bands have done ok with marking and encouraging him mark outside. But just tonight I take them both outside and he just looks at me and gives me that I do not have to go poop. He will peep at a drop of a hat, marking of course but this poop thing. He is just being stubborn cause he will go in and then he poops. I punish him and put him in the crate. Any suggestions???? I point to the ground I don't pet until they do there job. I make it business and he is just gives me that look I do not have to.
I think he doesn't at the time but 10 minutes later he get the urge and he just does it. He just pooped at the door so that was encouraging so I just put down a pee pad and thought maybe if he has that urge he will go to it . Any other suggestions? I try to watch him but with two 9 months old they play and run and have a ball. He does poop say 50% outside it is just the other 50% I am trying to deal with.
hearttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Donating YT 10K Club Member
 
megansmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: S. W. Suburbs of Chicago, IL
Posts: 12,235
Default

Here is a great article that will really help you understand and train your puppy.

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/tra...nt-advice.html

You have only had him 2 weeks and he was not trained properly prior to coming to your home. You need to stop letting him and your other little one have the run of the house if you want to ever get him in check. Keep him on a leash tethered to you at all time, keep the belly bands on, and clean any urine with a good cleaner. It is just going to take a lot more time to get him into good habits. Yorkies are notorious for being hard to housetrain.
__________________
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” Mark Twain
megansmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,394
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearttx View Post
Ok, so I have a 9 month old yorkie that was a puppy mill rescue that has been terrribly inbred and weighs 13 lbs. I have had him since he was 10 weeks old. He was the easiest dog I have every housebroken. Smart as a whip. I just got a 9 month old champion sired pup and he came with bad habits with housebreaking. The owner did not watch him and he learned bad habits like pooping and marking. I have had him 3 weeks and with the aid of belly bands have done ok with marking and encouraging him mark outside. But just tonight I take them both outside and he just looks at me and gives me that I do not have to go poop. He will peep at a drop of a hat, marking of course but this poop thing. He is just being stubborn cause he will go in and then he poops. I punish him and put him in the crate. Any suggestions???? I point to the ground I don't pet until they do there job. I make it business and he is just gives me that look I do not have to.
I think he doesn't at the time but 10 minutes later he get the urge and he just does it. He just pooped at the door so that was encouraging so I just put down a pee pad and thought maybe if he has that urge he will go to it . Any other suggestions? I try to watch him but with two 9 months old they play and run and have a ball. He does poop say 50% outside it is just the other 50% I am trying to deal with.
Have you read anything about crate training? The first rule is that the crate is a safe haven and never use it as a punishment. Also, punishing after a dog goes poop is just frustrating to the dog, he knows you upset, but doesn't know why. If someone were pointing to the ground to you, would you automatically know what that meant? I think your dog is looking at you with confusion, not defiance. Dogs don't really understand our words like humans think they do, but they do sense our feelings. Dogs often have mixed feelings about being petted; a better reward for pooping might be a small treat, and lavish praise, (Good boy, good, boy.) I do think your idea of putting a pee pad by the door is a good one, and sometimes if you keep a poop diary you can learn their schedule, and make sure they are outside when they want to poop. Most dogs are pretty predictable, and like to go within 1/2 hour of eating. You should also be aware that marking and peeing are two different things, and a dog's marking has nothing to do with his need to urinate. Getting him fixed as soon as possible will elevate some of his need to mark, and may eliminate it altogether, if you do it soon enough. I think most trainers now believe that praising success and ignoring mistakes has the best long-term effects, with no unwanted repercussions, such as learned aggression or poop eating behavior (some dogs learn to "hide" the evidence). This website has some great tips on housebreaking, both indoor and outdoor training. Free House Training for Puppies and Adult Dogs - No More Accidents Starting Today!
__________________

Last edited by Nancy1999; 10-14-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
YT Addict
 
Love_Capone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norman, OK, USA
Posts: 359
Default

What I did that worked very fast was this:

Outside, if he didn't do both and I knew it he had too, he went back into his x-pen for 15 min or so, then back outside. Back and forth until he went outside. When he went outside he got play time in the house. They catch on really quick. Don't praise until he has done both outside unless you think he just really doesn't have to do both. If he realizes the only place he will go is outside until he poops, he will just go outside. Good Luck.
__________________
Yorkies come in all shapes and sizes
Love_Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,394
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
Here is a great article that will really help you understand and train your puppy.

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/tra...nt-advice.html

You have only had him 2 weeks and he was not trained properly prior to coming to your home. You need to stop letting him and your other little one have the run of the house if you want to ever get him in check. Keep him on a leash tethered to you at all time, keep the belly bands on, and clean any urine with a good cleaner. It is just going to take a lot more time to get him into good habits. Yorkies are notorious for being hard to housetrain.
I thought she was saying that the rescue was easy to train the champion sired pup is the one she's having problems with. However, he may have lived in a crate most of his life too.
__________________
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
hearttx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Anna, TX
Posts: 147
Default

Good advise. I do give treats and praise him alot. His belly band is barely damp at times so he is marking more outside than in and because I just have had him 3 weeks, I think he is calming down with marking inside. I know his routine and take him out accordingly. That is what is so frustrated is when I know he should but just looks at me. I will restrict him in his crate until I take him out repeatly and get results. I think you are right about the correction, unless I catch him, it is just not working. Thanks for that advice. I problem is my bigger dog really thinks I got the smaller dog for him. He wants him out of the crate and wants to play with him. A few corrections, I know I CAN DO IT. I am friends with the breeder and this pup comes from champion stock on both sizes and have not decided about neutering. Still researching and looking into some line breeding with the breeder. I have breed before but not yorkies and I have a mentor with the breeder. But that is another issue and marking for a intact male is really not that bad with the belly band.
hearttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
hearttx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Anna, TX
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I thought she was saying that the rescue was easy to train the champion sired pup is the one she's having problems with. However, he may have lived in a crate most of his life too.

Yes the rescue was easy it is the champion sired pup that is being difficult. He has learned bad habits and that is hard to break.
hearttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
hearttx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Anna, TX
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Capone View Post
What I did that worked very fast was this:

Outside, if he didn't do both and I knew it he had too, he went back into his x-pen for 15 min or so, then back outside. Back and forth until he went outside. When he went outside he got play time in the house. They catch on really quick. Don't praise until he has done both outside unless you think he just really doesn't have to do both. If he realizes the only place he will go is outside until he poops, he will just go outside. Good Luck.
LOVE this idea!!! I believe he should get it this way. Thanks that is a great suggestion. And not praising until both is done is another. I am so happy he is marking outside and peeing, I give alot of praise. Good advice.
hearttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,394
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Personally, I think 50% of the time is great, I couldn't stand to crate one up and have both of them sad. I think if it were peeing, I would be more inclined to crate. I think he'll catch on fairly fast with your other boy showing him the ropes, and yorkie poop is so small, it's not a big deal in my book when they do make a mistake. Now if I had a Great Dane . . .
__________________
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
hearttx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Anna, TX
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
Personally, I think 50% of the time is great, I couldn't stand to crate one up and have both of them sad. I think if it were peeing, I would be more inclined to crate. I think he'll catch on fairly fast with your other boy showing him the ropes, and yorkie poop is so small, it's not a big deal in my book when they do make a mistake. Now if I had a Great Dane . . .
Your funny!!!! I quess the big one was so easy and this smaller one has thrown me. But I am back on my feet and have some good suggestions. I do not give any food after 6:00 and no water at night. It has come down to that look of I am getting of "I am ready to come in really mom, I am ready" and then 5 minutes later oh, I gotta poop. And he is the champion stock which just goes to show you....that means nothing in potty training!!!!!
hearttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,394
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearttx View Post
Your funny!!!! I quess the big one was so easy and this smaller one has thrown me. But I am back on my feet and have some good suggestions. I do not give any food after 6:00 and no water at night. It has come down to that look of I am getting of "I am ready to come in really mom, I am ready" and then 5 minutes later oh, I gotta poop. And he is the champion stock which just goes to show you....that means nothing in potty training!!!!!
You are so right, but I have got to tell you champion stock doesn't mean much when it comes to breeding either. Each dog that is bred should be judged individually on it's traits alone, and then you can look at the line to make sure he has plenty of good genes to pass on. Sometimes, champion sired pups don't inherit enough of the right genes to breed, but they make wonderful pets. I really think so much goes into it, looks, hair quality, structure, personality, and that wonderful yorkie attitude and confidence, and of course it's important to have them health screened so that you know he isn't passing along genetic health problems that often don't show up until they are three years old. Anyways, it sounds like you are doing a great job, I don't believe in withholding food or water when they are pups, but I guess yours are old enough that it will be ok. This isn't usually necessary for training and in fact water can encourage the natural stretching of the bladder.
__________________

Last edited by Nancy1999; 10-14-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
hearttx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Anna, TX
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
You are so right, but I have got to tell you champion stock doesn't mean much when it comes to breeding either. Each dog that is bred should be judged individually on it's traits alone, and then you can look at the line to make sure he has plenty of good genes to pass on. Sometimes, champion sired pups don't inherit enough of the right genes to breed, but they make wonderful pets. I really think so much goes into it, looks, hair quality, structure, personality, and that wonderful yorkie attitude and confidence, and of course it's important to have them health screened so that you know he isn't passing along genetic health problems that often don't show up until they are three years old. Anyway, it sounds like you are doing a great job!
These are all the things I am considering. He comes from a long line of good champion stock and his mom is from Ireland. I have just had him 3 weeks so the verdict is still out. His lines are pretty good and his coat is also good. He is 5 lbs and well...need to study more and may neuter. No know health problems from his parents or pups from the 5 years of breeding this pair. He is beautiful..but for breeding...have to do more research. But not going to do anything until I know.
hearttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,394
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearttx View Post
These are all the things I am considering. He comes from a long line of good champion stock and his mom is from Ireland. I have just had him 3 weeks so the verdict is still out. His lines are pretty good and his coat is also good. He is 5 lbs and well...need to study more and may neuter. No know health problems from his parents or pups from the 5 years of breeding this pair. He is beautiful..but for breeding...have to do more research. But not going to do anything until I know.
I'm so glad you are one of those people who study first before making a decision. Good luck, and I hope he turns out just the way you want he to!
__________________
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
YT Addict
 
Love_Capone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norman, OK, USA
Posts: 359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
Personally, I think 50% of the time is great, I couldn't stand to crate one up and have both of them sad. I think if it were peeing, I would be more inclined to crate. I think he'll catch on fairly fast with your other boy showing him the ropes, and yorkie poop is so small, it's not a big deal in my book when they do make a mistake. Now if I had a Great Dane . . .
You don't have to do it for a long time. I would literally crate him for 10 min and take him back out and back in xpen and if nothing another 10 min and he would go. He caught on so quickly. I can't stand either in the house because Capone used to go behind the couch and I would find a graveyard of poop. So glad he knows better know.
__________________
Yorkies come in all shapes and sizes
Love_Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #15
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member
 
Nancy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25,394
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Capone View Post
You don't have to do it for a long time. I would literally crate him for 10 min and take him back out and back in xpen and if nothing another 10 min and he would go. He caught on so quickly. I can't stand either in the house because Capone used to go behind the couch and I would find a graveyard of poop. So glad he knows better know.
Actually, your method is different than most I've read about, but this sounds like something most people could do, and like you say, they catch on rather quickly when you are consistent, so you wouldn't have to do it for that long. I think this is a great idea.
__________________

Last edited by Nancy1999; 10-14-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160