YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > Breeding / Showing / Traveling > Breeder Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #1
Senior Yorkie Talker

Question Question for Yorkiemom1 or other reputable breeder

I've read through a lot of posts looking for answers to questions and it seems like in many of them, I almost get the answer I'm looking for and wish that I could ask you one more. So here it goes. I apologize to the moderators if I have repeated this question in any other place. I figure someone knows and it's just not been posted in the right spot or phrased correctly.

We are considering a puppy from a set of 3 brothers of the same litter. I'm not that experienced, I've owned one of the dogs from this breeder in the past; he did not steer me wrong. He knows his lines, he knows which dogs throw larger dogs and he knows which ones do not. The one he previously sold me came from a litter that did not throw larger dogs. I was very satisfied with my experience and dog that I purchased from him.

He sent us a little video from his cell phone last weekend of the three boys. They looked so plump. I thought maybe they would grow to be larger than my last dog so I asked him how much they weigh? At two weeks and a day, they weigh 14.2 ounces. That seemed like quite a lot so I googled around, bought a book called, "Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Month by Month." in the book it states that the puppies will weigh up to 14 ounces at 2 weeks. Ok, so they're within the normal range.

My question. How common is it for puppies that reach that weight at 2 weeks become a standard size yorkie weighing 4-6 pounds as an adult? I suppose unless one has a line that is like that, there would not be any way to know. I'm asking here, assuming there are many breeders and someone surely has a line that doesn't have large throws that also has this happen.

I sent a message asking my breeder if this was a common weight for this set of parents and what he thinks their adult weight will be? I hope he can answer soon. I'm not sure records/tracking are kept here the way they are in the US. Although I know he has projected weights for other pups when they go up for sale, so I have to believe he knows.
softlyspeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by softlyspeaks View Post
I've read through a lot of posts looking for answers to questions and it seems like in many of them, I almost get the answer I'm looking for and wish that I could ask you one more. So here it goes. I apologize to the moderators if I have repeated this question in any other place. I figure someone knows and it's just not been posted in the right spot or phrased correctly.

We are considering a puppy from a set of 3 brothers of the same litter. I'm not that experienced, I've owned one of the dogs from this breeder in the past; he did not steer me wrong. He knows his lines, he knows which dogs throw larger dogs and he knows which ones do not. The one he previously sold me came from a litter that did not throw larger dogs. I was very satisfied with my experience and dog that I purchased from him.

He sent us a little video from his cell phone last weekend of the three boys. They looked so plump. I thought maybe they would grow to be larger than my last dog so I asked him how much they weigh? At two weeks and a day, they weigh 14.2 ounces. That seemed like quite a lot so I googled around, bought a book called, "Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Month by Month." in the book it states that the puppies will weigh up to 14 ounces at 2 weeks. Ok, so they're within the normal range.

My question. How common is it for puppies that reach that weight at 2 weeks become a standard size yorkie weighing 4-6 pounds as an adult? I suppose unless one has a line that is like that, there would not be any way to know. I'm asking here, assuming there are many breeders and someone surely has a line that doesn't have large throws that also has this happen.

I sent a message asking my breeder if this was a common weight for this set of parents and what he thinks their adult weight will be? I hope he can answer soon. I'm not sure records/tracking are kept here the way they are in the US. Although I know he has projected weights for other pups when they go up for sale, so I have to believe he knows.
This sounds like he is reputable and knowledgeable and you had a good experience buying from him before. If you trust HIM, your selected breeder of choice, stick with him and depend on him to know his dogs, his lines, and what his breeding pairs throw. Breeders can certainly NOT guarantee the adult weight of any puppy, because of outliers that crop up occasionally in a breeding, but he knows his dogs and what they generally throw.....depend and trust your breeder and what he tells you about the litter!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Yorkie Talker

Will do... I will relax and trust him. Wish I had more patience! Which I'm failing at practice. It's hard when my 6 year old daughter states in the morning, I want a puppy so bad and I'm telling her we need to wait until after New Years! lol

the question of litters weighing 14 ounces at 2 weeks.... I personally think the puppy growth charts are a joke but it is alarming if one looks at a chart and it doesn't even register 14 ounces at 2 weeks..lol

Have you ever heard of any breeders mentioning that size of pup at two weeks that has standard size dogs? Do they just slow down growing so fast? I read somewhere that depending on the amount in the litter and sharing of milk could also determine how large the pup is while nursing and then when introduced to regular kibble, the growth tappers down.

I just want to make sure.

Thank you
Old 10-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior Yorkie Talker

My breeder just responded. He said this is the second litter of the girl and her puppies weighed the same at 2 weeks and they weigh around 4.5 pounds as adults. I asked a few more questions but sounds good. I don't know how many months he considers the dogs to be adult.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

You are obscessing over the size of this puppy!!! Forget about it, trying to analyze it from every conceivable angle!!! It is a crap shoot! The breeder is the only one that can give you an "educated GUESS" on what that puppy is going to weigh...he has done that! Focus on getting a book to read....Yorkies For Dummies" is a great book about yorkies and owning one....you need to get this book and read it cover to cover! There is another one I like...."Yorkshire Terriers: A Smart Owners Guide"....get this one and read it cover to cover....there is a ton of information in both these books that will help keep your mind busy and your soul calm!!

Tell the 6 year old you have decided NOT to get a puppy.....my goodness, a child will torment the living daylights out of you until you get the puppy!!! You will have NO peace!!! Tell the child you will get a puppy for his 8th birthday.....that will give you a couple years of some quiet time!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

You mentioned having a 6 year old daughter - my suggestion would be the one that is going to be the biggest - these are very fragile little babies. I know that when I have friends come over that have younger children - I always put my babies up. Mine are 5 months old and if this helps you - he is 2lb and 6 oz and she is 2lb and 1 oz - at 9 weeks they were 15.6 oz. I did not get them from the show breeder until they were 4 mo and 1 week.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #7
Senior Yorkie Talker

MzLynn,
Thank you for your comments and I understand what you are saying. I have no interest in having a yorkie that is less than a standard size and the breeder doesn't have any below standard but could possible have some over the 6-7 pound range. I too have put my toy breeds in another room when hosting parties for 30-75 people. Our yorkie was our daughters playmate since she was 3 and she toted him around like a precious doll. He was our constant companion and travel companion. Looking back over photos I was tickeled of all the videos we have of us training him to do tricks. He was also trained along side the working dogs at less than 4 months; I had forgotten all about it.

On a side note. We have a family member who also has a runt from a litter that friends of ours had. At 3 pounds he is no frail thing but he isn't very handsome either. My boy was perfect.

I found another comment a bit rude but perhaps had I been able to actually hear the tone it was intended to be made in it wouldn't have been read as such. Since I specifically asked for a person's opinion I'll give the benefit of the doubt. However, in response, I do like the beauty of a fine dog, am cautious and persistant until satisfied that I have all of the information. Some may call it obsession but not all people fall into the Dummy catagory for trying to get an answer. You can never ask too many questions. The simple minded are satisfied with little, the inquisitive are not. I didn't find raising a yorkie any more difficult than the other breeds of dogs I own or have owned nor do I feel I need to load up on how to care for a dog and fill my time while waiting for a puppy. I have plenty of obligations and things to fill my life. My daughter is welcome to express her excitment for a new puppy anytime she likes. She is a joy, not a pest. She's never been demanding. She's not like her mother but a lot like her father. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I apppeciate it.

SS
Old 10-30-2015, 04:42 AM   #8
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

To OP, I have had 4 yorkies all gotten at age of 8 weeks old, I now have a adopted boy that makes 5 yorkies. I have had yorkies 35 + years. When I got my first yorkie there was no internet to search and learn of the breed, I purchased every book I could lay my hands on. After joining YT and learned of this book called "Yorkies for Dummies" I got that one also. I am reading that you think someone referred to you as a dummy lol, for suggesting that you read this book. After me having 5 yes 5 yorkies, I STILL got the book, you can never have enough knowledge about a breed that you own. This book is a MUST HAVE for every yorkie owner.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:40 AM   #9
Senior Yorkie Talker

Thank you Joan! Have you also read the book I bought a few days ago, "Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Month by Month?" I am not asking you to just a question. It actually gave me some information that I haven't found elsewhere and am still digging. How does anyone know what I have or haven't read, she never asked me. Just for you I glanced again at, "Yorkshire Terrier for Dummies." After owning yorkies for 35 years, I am glad you found information in the book useful and able to keep your attention. I can see not having internet for research, it would be interesting regarding the history and any problem correcting. If I had a sick dog, no access to training, history or basic care and was a novice, I may find it useful but to answer the question in my op, I find it a waste of my time and $ and yes it is an insult. No experience to add apparently is too difficult to say.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #10
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Thank you Joan! Have you also read the book I bought a few days ago, "Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Month by Month?" I am not asking you to just a question. It actually gave me some information that I haven't found elsewhere and am still digging. How does anyone know what I have or haven't read, she never asked me. Just for you I glanced again at, "Yorkshire Terrier for Dummies." After owning yorkies for 35 years, I am glad you found information in the book useful and able to keep your attention. I can see not having internet for research, it would be interesting regarding the history and any problem correcting. If I had a sick dog, no access to training, history or basic care and was a novice, I may find it useful but to answer the question in my op, I find it a waste of my time and $ and yes it is an insult. No experience to add apparently is too difficult to say.
I have read every book YT suggests/ advises. I will never have a puppy again, I will do rescues only.I read it to hopefully help friends, family that may get a puppy. And you are correct in saying no one knows what you have or have not read, but it's thrown out there not just for you but for who ever is following this thread. What you need to understand is, there will be other new members reading this thread somewhere down the road, and when they do they will see the books that have been recommended, everyone benefits from all threads. Do not take it personally. When I first got involved with computers they had a book called "Computers for Dummies" I thought wow how great and I got it, the salesmen said to me I didn't need that book lol, I told him ya never know what small thing can be learned, small but could be very important tool. When I saw here on YT "Yorkies For Dummies" I said wow, how kool, and got the book. Yorkiemom1 is a great breeder and very knowledgeable in the yorkie breed, she also has a hidden sense of humor that I find just delightful. You have many threads going, you have gotten much information from many members, you are getting to know many members here on YT and will get to know their personalities, sense of humor and seriousness in their postings. I do hope all the questions you ask you get the answer
Old 10-30-2015, 06:38 AM   #11
Senior Yorkie Talker

Joan, out of all the thousands of members, threads and posts, I singled yorkiemom1 out as the person I felt was best experienced and informed and could have the answer to my question. Rather than send her a pm, it was posted publically for that person that may have the same question I have. What if I were a novice breeder, which I am not. They would not have a clue what to think other than waiting out 10 more weeks to double or triple the puppy weight and months again to see what the adult puppies throw.

Perhaps it was just one of those days, I've had them myself, when I just didn't want to deal with people who annoyed me at the moment. The first line in the comment set the tone and I couldn't hear the humor or find anything useful in the rest of the comment. Actually, I really haven't learned anything new on this site yet and when I've asked if anyone has tried this or that didn't get much of a response but from a few. Not to say that the administrator here hasn't been kind or encouraging, she has been lovely as well as a few others and a couple that have sent me pms that lurk rather than post. I find the traffic flow for a forum this size a little slow but it is what it is.

Time to think of other things.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Joan, out of all the thousands of members, threads and posts, I singled yorkiemom1 out as the person I felt was best experienced and informed and could have the answer to my question. Rather than send her a pm, it was posted publically for that person that may have the same question I have. What if I were a novice breeder, which I am not. They would not have a clue what to think other than waiting out 10 more weeks to double or triple the puppy weight and months again to see what the adult puppies throw.

Perhaps it was just one of those days, I've had them myself, when I just didn't want to deal with people who annoyed me at the moment. The first line in the comment set the tone and I couldn't hear the humor or find anything useful in the rest of the comment. Actually, I really haven't learned anything new on this site yet and when I've asked if anyone has tried this or that didn't get much of a response but from a few. Not to say that the administrator here hasn't been kind or encouraging, she has been lovely as well as a few others and a couple that have sent me pms that lurk rather than post. I find the traffic flow for a forum this size a little slow but it is what it is.

Time to think of other things.

I am so very sorry that of all the questions you have posted repeatedly here on this forum, and all the people that have taken the time to try to respond to you and your questions, that you have simply, only come away with ".....[I][U].Actually I really haven't learned anything new on this site yet and when I've asked if anyone has tried this or that didn't get much of a response but from a few. I find the traffic flow for a forum this size a little slow but it is what it is"!!!! WOW!!!! Why in the world did you stay and waste our time, us trying to repeatedly and constantly be of assistance?????

How unfortunate all the people that have taken their personal time and interest in you and your many, many questions, has apparently been of no value to you. The GREAT thing about this forum is that there are hundreds of thousands of people that read and read and read these posts, and actually DO benefit and learn something from the effort and time many people have been courteous enough to stop and share with them.

What a wonderful thing you are apparently already so well informed that you have come away from this site with very little useful information for yourself. All the time and effort so many members have taken to try to answer your plethoric questions has apparently fallen on deaf ears, as you stated you already knew and havent learned anything new at all.....well, we certainly wasted OUR time and effort to offer assistance to you, in multiple posts.

I do take comfort in the knowledge that there are thousands of appreciative people out there, reading these posts, that ACTUALLY do value justly the time and energy given to educate the Yorkie community, or even dogs in general! We are ALL grateful for THOSE people, that understand and value and are really thankful for any help they find on these posts! People that are thirsting for information and different perspectives, that can actually recognize and appreciate the time and energy we take to share any nugget of information, experience, suggestions, problem solving events, etc, are the people that will benefit most from this forum. They are appreciative and grateful for our efforts at help, even if they think they already know all the answers to the various issues addressed! They have the social graces to just read over or skip the parts they already know, and the more appreciative and grateful and polite of those people, will not turn and slap our faces for the help we have offered them, regardless of their level of knowledge in that particular area! Socially acceptable politeness and good manners are indeed a wonderful thing, especially when you are seeking assistance or help of any kind from those very people!...... And yes, EVEN those of us that have a dry sense of humor in our posts, as we address multiple, multiple times, the same question over and over, just re-worded to change up the cadence a little.....we STILL continue to try to give assistance to obviously "frazzled" nerves.....only to be insulted and rebuked?

I personally began to prepare myself to breed Yorkies way back in late '70's early '80's. After over 15-20 years of education in breeding Yorkies and learning the lines and pedigrees for at least 12-15 generations back from the dogs I purchased from show breeders that were retiring their Ch. and titled dogs, what lines could be crossed and which lines you would never cross, I started my breeding program with much success.
I would suggest, with the "extensive knowledge" you profess to already have, you associate strictly with breeders and dog show people, that are so very much more experienced and knowledgeable in the areas you seek information about. Unfortunately, I am an experienced breeder and you were not positioned mentally/emotionally, to deal with my very bland sense of humor....you will be destroyed, no doubt, trying to associate with other reputable breeders/show people, that have dedicated their entire lives to breeding and showing Yorkies, not just 35+ years....some of them can be brutal!...... This forum has only a few breeders/show people, stopping in and taking the time try to help people....Show people/well connected breeders, I think, can perhaps deal with you on the level you imagine yourself to be......but I wouldnt bet on it!....I tried and you mistook my approach as an attack, and I am so very mild! These people have made me CRY....you had better pull up your Big Boy/Girl britches when you jump in with most of those people that do not appreciate intrusion into breeding/showing Yorkies unless there has been an appreciative degree of "apprenticeship", and they have very little time to tolerate being "pumped for information"!!!....however, do not be surprised if they just choose not to be bothered to try to deal with "Poor Little Insulted Me" attitude or "I Am So Much Smarter Than You" ungratefulness. Learn a modicum of humility and gratefulness before jumping in with the "Big Boys", because if what I said withered your spirit, they will totally demoralize and humiliate you.

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 10-30-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #13
Senior Yorkie Talker

Do you feel better now? Boy am I fortunate not to have to deal with the show/breeding people where you live, they sound pretty tight.

You assume a lot.

Quote:
We are considering a puppy from a set of 3 brothers of the same litter. I'm not that experienced, I've owned one of the dogs from this breeder in the past;
You understood from the quote above that I'm a novice pet owner and needed to read your recommended books cover to cover to answer this question. Could you tell me which chapter those would be in so I don't have to waste my time looking for the answer and reading the history, how to raise a puppy, care for a sick dog and train them?

I don't give a monkey's ars about showing or breeding. All I wanted to know was from your experience, you are the most experienced on the forum correct, about the odds of three pups being 14 oz at 2 weeks to end up being a standard size? And yes, it was asked in probably 3 different spots on the forum and I grew impatient being answered in many other directions, even adopt an adult rescue dog and no one with experience breeding pups that even know their blood line history could answer the question. And yes, you answered me quite rudely but I appreciate the information.

Quote:
You are obscessing over the size of this puppy!!! Forget about it, trying to analyze it from every conceivable angle!!! It is a crap shoot! The breeder is the only one that can give you an "educated GUESS" on what that puppy is going to weigh...he has done that!
Quote:
just re-worded to change up the cadence a little.....we STILL continue to try to give assistance to obviously "frazzled" nerves.....only to be insulted and rebuked?
I was more frazzled after reading your previous comment than waiting for the answer. Thank you for the reassurance.

That was your way to " re-worded to change up the cadence a little" and answer someone that thought you were the only one on the forum that could possibly give an educated answer? Girl, you own it. Call it dry humor or whatever you want but I believe there could have been a kinder way of answering. I'm not in any competition with you. The board is all yours. Have a nice swim.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #14
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Do you feel better now? Boy am I fortunate not to have to deal with the show/breeding people where you live, they sound pretty tight.

You assume a lot.

You understood from the quote above that I'm a novice pet owner and needed to read your recommended books cover to cover to answer this question. Could you tell me which chapter those would be in so I don't have to waste my time looking for the answer and reading the history, how to raise a puppy, care for a sick dog and train them?

I don't give a monkey's ars about showing or breeding. All I wanted to know was from your experience, you are the most experienced on the forum correct, about the odds of three pups being 14 oz at 2 weeks to end up being a standard size? And yes, it was asked in probably 3 different spots on the forum and I grew impatient being answered in many other directions, even adopt an adult rescue dog and no one with experience breeding pups that even know their blood line history could answer the question. And yes, you answered me quite rudely but I appreciate the information.

I was more frazzled after reading your previous comment than waiting for the answer. Thank you for the reassurance.

That was your way to " re-worded to change up the cadence a little" and answer someone that thought you were the only one on the forum that could possibly give an educated answer? Girl, you own it. Call it dry humor or whatever you want but I believe there could have been a kinder way of answering. I'm not in any competition with you. The board is all yours. Have a nice swim.
ENOUGH ALREADY!!! I am new to this forum and really I probably should not get involved. However... You asked for yorkiemom1's help and out of the goodness and I repeat goodness of her heart she responded in a very logical and I feel supportive and loving manner.

You took her response way too personally. She did not have to take the time out of day to respond and she did...to try to help you. Really how is she to know if you are a novice or an experienced person. She was simply responding to your questions and trying to help you.

I am a new member and I really value Yorkiemom1's opinions and the information she posts for members.

Your tone is completely uncalled for. And the little sarcastic digs are completely uncalled for. I don't like to see anyone being bullied and that is how I have taken your latest response to yorkiemom1.... I took it as being out-and-out mean .....beyond rude.

Yorkiemom1.... this is for you directly my darling ....there are members on this forum who truly and absolutely appreciate your words of wisdom and experience. I am one of those people and I thank you for being you.
Yorkiesask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:57 PM   #15
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:

You assume a lot.

You have in one post not only insulted and demoralized Yorkiemom1, but everyone on this entire forum, including everyone that has answered all of your redundant questions. "Someone that thought you were the only one in the forum that could give an educated answer"- your words, you own it! If she is the only one that you feel is qualified to answer your MANY questions you should have just pm'ed her instead of endlessly caring on and as Yorkiemom said OBSESSING over what the adult size of the puppy will be. Personally if your breeder is so brilliant why would you be second guessing everything he is telling you and WHY would he be allowing the pup to go home at 8 weeks? And IF you already know it ALL why were you going to bring the pup home at 8 weeks?? I don't have a dog in this hunt so to speak, but am more than aggravated at the insults to Yorkiemom and to the generalization of us "simple minded" people that have answered some of your questions, me being one of them.

The book she was referring to is an actual title, there are tons of books with different subject matter, that are "For Dummies" books. It is by far not an insult, but the very book she is speaking of is basically a Bible on Yorkshire Terriers, a very good reference for newbies to the most experienced owners. Seeing that you are not a novice but self proclaimed experienced I would have thought you would have known this.

I generally do not get on pi$$ing contest on here, however your treatment and insults to Yorkiemom is a slap in her face when you are the one that sought her out, if you didn't like what she had to say then keep moving. As far as lumping the rest of us simple minded folks to uneducated simpletons, I'll take it as there is a wealth of information on this site, whether you have the insight to see it or not! And "girl" you "own" insulting ALL the people here!