View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by softlyspeaks View Post
I've read through a lot of posts looking for answers to questions and it seems like in many of them, I almost get the answer I'm looking for and wish that I could ask you one more. So here it goes. I apologize to the moderators if I have repeated this question in any other place. I figure someone knows and it's just not been posted in the right spot or phrased correctly.

We are considering a puppy from a set of 3 brothers of the same litter. I'm not that experienced, I've owned one of the dogs from this breeder in the past; he did not steer me wrong. He knows his lines, he knows which dogs throw larger dogs and he knows which ones do not. The one he previously sold me came from a litter that did not throw larger dogs. I was very satisfied with my experience and dog that I purchased from him.

He sent us a little video from his cell phone last weekend of the three boys. They looked so plump. I thought maybe they would grow to be larger than my last dog so I asked him how much they weigh? At two weeks and a day, they weigh 14.2 ounces. That seemed like quite a lot so I googled around, bought a book called, "Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Month by Month." in the book it states that the puppies will weigh up to 14 ounces at 2 weeks. Ok, so they're within the normal range.

My question. How common is it for puppies that reach that weight at 2 weeks become a standard size yorkie weighing 4-6 pounds as an adult? I suppose unless one has a line that is like that, there would not be any way to know. I'm asking here, assuming there are many breeders and someone surely has a line that doesn't have large throws that also has this happen.

I sent a message asking my breeder if this was a common weight for this set of parents and what he thinks their adult weight will be? I hope he can answer soon. I'm not sure records/tracking are kept here the way they are in the US. Although I know he has projected weights for other pups when they go up for sale, so I have to believe he knows.
This sounds like he is reputable and knowledgeable and you had a good experience buying from him before. If you trust HIM, your selected breeder of choice, stick with him and depend on him to know his dogs, his lines, and what his breeding pairs throw. Breeders can certainly NOT guarantee the adult weight of any puppy, because of outliers that crop up occasionally in a breeding, but he knows his dogs and what they generally throw.....depend and trust your breeder and what he tells you about the litter!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!