YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > Breeding / Showing / Traveling > Breeder Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
Princessangela3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Woodland, Ca, Usa
Posts: 764
Default What next....8 weeks old?

Bella Mia's puppies have graduated from the "kiddie pool" to a 6X8 square area in our living room. Shaun and I bought a 6X8 section of cheap linolieum. We put the linolieum in a corner of our living room against two walls and used the Xpen to enclose the other two sides. We put a doggie bed in one corner, a washable peepad (duct tapped to the linolieum because it is the only way the puppies will leave the peepad alone, it is changed 3 x a day), all acidents are removed quickly and teh linolieum is mopped immediately, the other corner is kibble and water. Puppies had their first shots and individual vet check-ups all did great and are healthy. They get a bath weekly. Momma has pretty much weaned them...she growls if they try to nurse but every odd moment she will let them suckle for a minute or two. They have met the cat and Yogi boy our rescued doggie (DEFINATELY SUPERVISED VISITS). We take them out individually to play with them but it seems like they all want out all the time. What is next for them?? Should we have them out in the living room all together? Are we supposed to be socializing them in anyother way? Any other suggestions for them?
__________________
~Angela

Last edited by Princessangela3; 08-26-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Princessangela3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
YT Addict
 
sferrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sterling Heights, Mi
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessangela3 View Post
Bella Mia's puppies have graduated from the "kiddie pool" to a 6X8 square area in our living room. Shaun and I bought a 6X8 section of cheap linolieum. We put the linolieum in a corner of our living room against two walls and used the Xpen to enclose the other two sides. We put a doggie bed in one corner, a washable peepad (duct tapped to the linolieum because it is the only way the puppies will leave the peepad alone, it is changed 3 x a day), all acidents are removed quickly and teh linolieum is mopped immediately, the other corner is kibble and water. Puppies had their first shots and individual vet check-ups all did great and are healthy. They get a bath weekly. Momma has pretty much weaned them...she growls if they try to nurse but every odd moment she will let them suckle for a minute or two. They have met the cat and Yogi boy our rescued doggie (DEFINATELY SUPERVISED VISITS). We take them out individually to play with them but it seems like they all want out all the time. What is next for them?? Should we have them out in the living room all together? Are we supposed to be socializing them in anyother way? Any other suggestions for them?
when you have them locked in the x-pen do you leave mom in there also? My boy just turned 7 weeks but in a couple of weeks I will no longer have a babysitter for him and was wondering if when I lock him up in the kitchen if I should have mom in with him or no? I'm afraid if I do, she will eat his food.
__________________
Shannon , Prussia, Miracle, , Rebel and Lady July 7, 2009 to Aug. 19, 2009
sferrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
Princessangela3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Woodland, Ca, Usa
Posts: 764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sferrini View Post
when you have them locked in the x-pen do you leave mom in there also? My boy just turned 7 weeks but in a couple of weeks I will no longer have a babysitter for him and was wondering if when I lock him up in the kitchen if I should have mom in with him or no? I'm afraid if I do, she will eat his food.
No I do not leave Momma in there. She HATES being caged/crated or penned up. She goes absolutely berzerk!!! She will sit outside and watch them. Sometimes she will bark to be let in with the puppies but as soon as we let her in she cries to get out. She does eat their food for a minute or two but it is puppy food and she has puppy food too. (We have just started to slowly switch her back to adult food and home cooking). The 5 puppies all gang up on her when she goes into the "puppy palace" and she doesnt like that. Since she has weaned the pups she likes to play with them especially when they are in the living room playing with us. It is even better if it is only 1 or 2 of the puppies.
__________________
~Angela

Last edited by Princessangela3; 08-26-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Princessangela3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
YT Addict
 
sferrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sterling Heights, Mi
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessangela3 View Post
No I do not leave Momma in there. She HATES being caged/crated or penned up. She goes absolutely berzerk!!! She will sit outside and watch them. Sometimes she will bark to be let in with the puppies but as soon as we let her in she cries to get out. She does eat their food for a minute or two but it is puppy food and she has puppy food too. (We have just started to slowly switch her back to adult food and home cooking). The 5 puppies all gang up on her when she goes into the "puppy palace" and she doesnt like that. Since she has weaned the pups she likes to play with them especially when they are in the living room playing with us. It is even better if it is only 1 or 2 of the puppies.
Miracle does play with Rebel for a bit and than will scold him when she has had enough. I feel bad for him since the lost of his sister last week but he seems to be adjusting very well. I will put some to toys in there with him so he has something to play with. I am going to try to make it home for lunch the three days my daughter works, and my stepdaughter will be home at 3:00 everyday so I think it will be ok.
__________________
Shannon , Prussia, Miracle, , Rebel and Lady July 7, 2009 to Aug. 19, 2009
sferrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sferrini View Post
Miracle does play with Rebel for a bit and than will scold him when she has had enough. I feel bad for him since the lost of his sister last week but he seems to be adjusting very well. I will put some to toys in there with him so he has something to play with. I am going to try to make it home for lunch the three days my daughter works, and my stepdaughter will be home at 3:00 everyday so I think it will be ok.
Since we all do it different, you must do what is best for you and the pups. The key is making sure they have plenty of mom time. 8 to 12 weeks she is teaching them so much, discipline, where they all in the pack, etc. The other thing you must watch is that they don't get over tired. Since I usually begin bringing mine into the kitchen at 8 weeks of age, they are allowed out or an hour then back to their play pen for rest for 2 hours.....Hyperglycemia is a threat during this period and these little guys don't know when to quit.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
Princessangela3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Woodland, Ca, Usa
Posts: 764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
Since we all do it different, you must do what is best for you and the pups. The key is making sure they have plenty of mom time. 8 to 12 weeks she is teaching them so much, discipline, where they all in the pack, etc. The other thing you must watch is that they don't get over tired. Since I usually begin bringing mine into the kitchen at 8 weeks of age, they are allowed out or an hour then back to their play pen for rest for 2 hours.....Hyperglycemia is a threat during this period and these little guys don't know when to quit.
Time wise what is enough time with mom? I certainly do not want to deprive the pups of their momma!!!! When you let your guys out for the hour is it all together?
__________________
~Angela
Princessangela3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
YT Addict
 
sferrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sterling Heights, Mi
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
Since we all do it different, you must do what is best for you and the pups. The key is making sure they have plenty of mom time. 8 to 12 weeks she is teaching them so much, discipline, where they all in the pack, etc. The other thing you must watch is that they don't get over tired. Since I usually begin bringing mine into the kitchen at 8 weeks of age, they are allowed out or an hour then back to their play pen for rest for 2 hours.....Hyperglycemia is a threat during this period and these little guys don't know when to quit.
Thank you Mardelin, I have read up and am very concerned about hyperglycemia, I actually loss my husband to diabetes, due to low blood sugar. I put karo syrup in his water and on his food. I allow him to play with momma and family for about an hour and then I put his down to rest of on next to me if I am sitting.

I have done some reading on raising singleton pups, since that what he is now and they say it is harder work because they do not learn from their litter mates only momma and she gets tired at about 3 weeks, so I have also been trying to mimic their play and told my family to slow down on holding him all the time as not to spoil him.

I have been letting him roam more since his sister passed last week but ALWAYS keep a close eye on him.

I will do my best to give him AS MUCH mom time as I can, the thing is right now she doesn't spend ALOT of time with him. She is all about me before I leave and when I get home, I have been encouraging play with all three of us before I go to work and when I get home (do you think this is ok?)

thank you all for you help, you are all so wonderful to me.
__________________
Shannon , Prussia, Miracle, , Rebel and Lady July 7, 2009 to Aug. 19, 2009
sferrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessangela3 View Post
Time wise what is enough time with mom? I certainly do not want to deprive the pups of their momma!!!! When you let your guys out for the hour is it all together?
Mmmmm are you speaking during the day? I usually allow mom with them for the hour I allow them out......But, then I watch to see if they are getting what I call the crazies and she's just getting overwhelmed. That signals me that they're overtired and she needs time away from them. So, sometimes the playtime can be shorter......But, this continues until the day they go home.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sferrini View Post
Thank you Mardelin, I have read up and am very concerned about hyperglycemia, I actually loss my husband to diabetes, due to low blood sugar. I put karo syrup in his water and on his food. I allow him to play with momma and family for about an hour and then I put his down to rest of on next to me if I am sitting.

I have done some reading on raising singleton pups, since that what he is now and they say it is harder work because they do not learn from their litter mates only momma and she gets tired at about 3 weeks, so I have also been trying to mimic their play and told my family to slow down on holding him all the time as not to spoil him.

I have been letting him roam more since his sister passed last week but ALWAYS keep a close eye on him.

I will do my best to give him AS MUCH mom time as I can, the thing is right now she doesn't spend ALOT of time with him. She is all about me before I leave and when I get home, I have been encouraging play with all three of us before I go to work and when I get home (do you think this is ok?)

thank you all for you help, you are all so wonderful to me.
Hyperglycemia can also be triggered by handling....so, be careful in overhandling too. He should be put down in a quiet place, to get a good rest...

Since my girls are raised a bit different, because they were show dogs.....even though they are pets too.....they aren't treated the same way as my pet, pets...they spayed ones....I don't know how to explain it. They are loved, played with, but, never had access to the complete house, never allowed to sleep on my bed or furniture......So, I was not their primary focal point and when it came to having litters they are very reluctant to let go of their pups at a young age....very content to stay with them until the pups go home.

As a matter of fact I just had a recent litter and my recently spayed girl hears the pups crying and she wants to get in the room where they're at. Once a mother always a mother.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
Princessangela3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Woodland, Ca, Usa
Posts: 764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
Mmmmm are you speaking during the day? I usually allow mom with them for the hour I allow them out......But, then I watch to see if they are getting what I call the crazies and she's just getting overwhelmed. That signals me that they're overtired and she needs time away from them. So, sometimes the playtime can be shorter......But, this continues until the day they go home.

Does this sound good......At the very minimum....
I get up at 5am clean up the pen, change water, food etc, then I sit down with puppies in the pen for 15 minutes minimum..a time or two it was much longer and I was late for work...time flys with the puppies....7am Shaun cleans up any new pee or poo and visits with the puppies for 15 minutes max. Bella Mia has a quick visit 5 to 10 minutes. 12pm Shaun is home for lunch cleans pen, feeds and waters if needed and sits in the pen 15 minutes, Bella Mia visits inside pen until she wants out (useually not more than 15 minutes). 3pm I clean the pen, feed and water if needed and then sit in the pen for about 30 minutes. 6pm all puppies are out to run in the living room with me, Shaun, Bella Mia and Raeann (Shaun's 11 year old daughter) for about 30 minutes. 8pm Shaun and I clean pen place fresh water and food play with all puppies for about 15 minutes. If at any time Bella Mia wants in we let her but she doesnt stay long and wants out as the puppies overwhelm her. I have an 18 old son who mingles in and out of all this depending on his work schedule. Sherman is taken out for longer periods of time by Shaun and they do some little training exercises like sit, learning his name, follow the leader...cute little things that Shaun thinks Sherman is learning and I think Sherman does it just because he wants the treat. What do you think do we need more mom time??
__________________
~Angela
Princessangela3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Angela,

If this is working out for you and puppies are well adjusted, socialized and mom is doing ok.....then stick with your program.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #12
YT Addict
 
sferrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sterling Heights, Mi
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
Hyperglycemia can also be triggered by handling....so, be careful in overhandling too. He should be put down in a quiet place, to get a good rest...

Since my girls are raised a bit different, because they were show dogs.....even though they are pets too.....they aren't treated the same way as my pet, pets...they spayed ones....I don't know how to explain it. They are loved, played with, but, never had access to the complete house, never allowed to sleep on my bed or furniture......So, I was not their primary focal point and when it came to having litters they are very reluctant to let go of their pups at a young age....very content to stay with them until the pups go home.

As a matter of fact I just had a recent litter and my recently spayed girl hears the pups crying and she wants to get in the room where they're at. Once a mother always a mother.
Ah, Ha, I did it right! I actually just read that they should not be handled to much because that also causes excitement, also that it could lead to being a spoiled dog. I just told my family NOT to hold him to much they can hold him for a couple of minutes a few times during the day but that is it!!

Having not been a breeder or no anything regarding showing dogs, I do understand what your saying. Since joining this forum I have read ALOT of posts and learning that dogs raised for breeding purposes and dogs raised for show are different and require different types of care.

I have another question for you, I feed my baby 4 times a day he gets about a tablespoon of food or so each feeding with a drop of Karo Syrup on it and then I mix it up. Does that sound like enough food? According to the labels he should be getting about 1/8 of a cup of food a day but I can't find that amount on any of my measuring untensils so I am not sure how much that is.

He is eating 90% of what I put in his bowl and sometimes he eats it all.
__________________
Shannon , Prussia, Miracle, , Rebel and Lady July 7, 2009 to Aug. 19, 2009
sferrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167