YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > Breeding / Showing / Traveling > Breeder Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
YT 500 Club Member
 
Marilize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape town, South Africa
Posts: 703
Rainbow What do I need to be a good breeder?

I have been a member of YT for more than two years and I have owned yorkies for that time. Every morning, I spend an hour or two researching yorkies and most afternoons, I am also on YT.

So, in two years, I want to start my own breeding program. I bought a beautiful girl earlier this year and she is very healthy at 5 months. The breeder I got her from knows that I plan to breed and she helped me pick out the best puppy. In hundreds of ways, June is the best thing that ever happened to me and I love her with all my heart.

I know that all YT members, especially the breeders, care a lot about their dogs and about the breeding practices of others, and I want to assure you that I feel exactly the same.

I really love yorkies and I want to start a breeding program to better the breed and to provide healthy, socialized puppies for caring people.

I have been reading about breeding for about 5 months and although I am nowhere near ready, I know about the risks and the precautions that need to be taken into account.

I would never breed a female under 5 lbs, so I hope June gets to be this size. If she doesn't, I won't breed her, I will just love her.

I am also passionate about home cooking and the organic lifestyle, so I want to raise the puppies on a healthy home cooked, nutritionist-balanced diet.

I have already put together an instruction sheet, my list for puppy care packages, recipes for home cooking, bill of sale and health guarantee.

Ok, so my question is: what do I need to do to be a good breeder? I want to show my dogs, breed ethically and responsibly. What should I do with regards to limited registration/spaying/neutering? I don't want one of my puppies to end up in a home where it is bred irresponsibly.

Another question: how long is the optimal health guarantee? 1 year? 2 years?

Feel free to quiz me on my breeding knowledge! I welcome any questions about my plan, my dogs, myself and my reasons for breeding. I really want to be one of the best breeders one day and I would really love the help of the great people of YT.

Any advice or questions will be greatly appreciated!
__________________
Cash & Orio RIP Beautiful Joni
Marilize is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
Donating YT 1000 Club Member
 
BaxtersMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,362
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I wish you the best of luck. I am wanting to do the same thing. I love them so much! But, like you, I am not ready yet.
BaxtersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
YT 500 Club Member
 
Marilize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape town, South Africa
Posts: 703
Default

Baxtersmommy, do you plan to breed holistically? I saw the signature on your message and was curious.

What do you feed your dogs?
__________________
Cash & Orio RIP Beautiful Joni
Marilize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Donating YT 1000 Club Member
 
BaxtersMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,362
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I am very careful about what I feed my pets. I studied a lot of foods, and I believe in Lifes Abundance formulated by Dr. Jane Bicks. She is a phone call away and I trust her with my pet nutrition.

The website is www.healthyhappypets.biz Watch the video, Do you know whats in dogfood. It is eye opening! Even some of the best brands are not good. I wouldnt buy any food at the pet store. However, Some are better than others.

Breeding is something I would love to get into, but I have to Learn a lot first. So, I am not rushing that. (but I do have a breeder willing to help me and teach me the ropes) Maybe a few years down the road. I am just so in love with this breed. )

Last edited by BaxtersMommy; 07-20-2009 at 05:12 AM.
BaxtersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilize View Post
I have been a member of YT for more than two years and I have owned yorkies for that time. Every morning, I spend an hour or two researching yorkies and most afternoons, I am also on YT.

So, in two years, I want to start my own breeding program. I bought a beautiful girl earlier this year and she is very healthy at 5 months. The breeder I got her from knows that I plan to breed and she helped me pick out the best puppy. In hundreds of ways, June is the best thing that ever happened to me and I love her with all my heart.

I know that all YT members, especially the breeders, care a lot about their dogs and about the breeding practices of others, and I want to assure you that I feel exactly the same.

I really love yorkies and I want to start a breeding program to better the breed and to provide healthy, socialized puppies for caring people.

I have been reading about breeding for about 5 months and although I am nowhere near ready, I know about the risks and the precautions that need to be taken into account.

I would never breed a female under 5 lbs, so I hope June gets to be this size. If she doesn't, I won't breed her, I will just love her.

I am also passionate about home cooking and the organic lifestyle, so I want to raise the puppies on a healthy home cooked, nutritionist-balanced diet.

I have already put together an instruction sheet, my list for puppy care packages, recipes for home cooking, bill of sale and health guarantee.

Ok, so my question is: what do I need to do to be a good breeder? I want to show my dogs, breed ethically and responsibly. What should I do with regards to limited registration/spaying/neutering? I don't want one of my puppies to end up in a home where it is bred irresponsibly.

Another question: how long is the optimal health guarantee? 1 year? 2 years?

Feel free to quiz me on my breeding knowledge! I welcome any questions about my plan, my dogs, myself and my reasons for breeding. I really want to be one of the best breeders one day and I would really love the help of the great people of YT.

Any advice or questions will be greatly appreciated!
You're on your way to good start.

Read the YTCA code of ethics and conduct. Go to breeding and whelping seminars. Learn everything about the structure of the yorkie. YTCA has an illustrated standard of the yorkshire terrier that you can purchase. Study it. Investigate and study pedigrees.

A gurantee can be 1, 2, 5 or even a lifetime. What is more important is what is in the contract/gurantee.

There is an article that describes what makes a great breeder. There are different stages and some never achieve it.

Make sure that when you begin your breeding program that you begin with the best foundation your money can buy.

You mentioned showing and showing your dog is for the purpose of gaining aprroval of your breeding stock. I personally perfer not to breed a dog unless it has been Championed.

If you haven't already find a mentor, one that has a good track record in the dog world.

Some start breeding prior to showing and others don't breed until they've shown for a few years. I personnaly didn't begin until I championed 3 dogs.

But, as you say learn everything you can.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers

Last edited by Mardelin; 07-20-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
YT 500 Club Member
 
Marilize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape town, South Africa
Posts: 703
Default

Baxtersmommy, I am busy reading Dr. Pitcairn's on natural health for cats and dogs. I was very shocked when I learnt about all the animal byproducts, chemicals, etc. I will never again feed my dogs a commercial food. I prefer to make my own (according to the recipes and info in the book) because then I know what is in the food.
I have always hated using chemicals on my dogs, so the book was great. I don't know if you have read it, but it gives all kinds of tips on everything from arthritis to cleaning furniture. It also gave me reassurance that going natural is the best.

Mardelin, thank you so much for the information. It is exactly the type of advice that I want.

I am planning to attend quite a few dog shows this year and then, if June fits the standard well enough, I would like to find someone who can mentor me in showing and breeding. I do have someone who can mentor me, but I may have to find someone closer to me.

I have a specific question: What is the best way to acquire champion stock?
Also, what is the chance that June will fit the standard if she has no champions in her background? I understand that for a dog to be a champion, its owners had to show the dog. My breeder didn't show, however.

By the way, June is KUSA registered (they are the only registering body in South Africa) and so far, she fits the standard. If she doesn't fit the standard, I won't breed her.

So, that is the main reason behind the champion stock question. I really want to start a breeding program, but as in everything else that I do in my life, I won't do it if I can't do it well. If June isn't standard, my breeding program won't begin with her.

I would really like some more information and advice from any experience breeders or any other YT members. I really want to do my best and I am counting on the amazing people at YT to help me.
__________________
Cash & Orio RIP Beautiful Joni
Marilize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member
 
Mardelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilize View Post
Baxtersmommy, I am busy reading Dr. Pitcairn's on natural health for cats and dogs. I was very shocked when I learnt about all the animal byproducts, chemicals, etc. I will never again feed my dogs a commercial food. I prefer to make my own (according to the recipes and info in the book) because then I know what is in the food.
I have always hated using chemicals on my dogs, so the book was great. I don't know if you have read it, but it gives all kinds of tips on everything from arthritis to cleaning furniture. It also gave me reassurance that going natural is the best.

Mardelin, thank you so much for the information. It is exactly the type of advice that I want.

I am planning to attend quite a few dog shows this year and then, if June fits the standard well enough, I would like to find someone who can mentor me in showing and breeding. I do have someone who can mentor me, but I may have to find someone closer to me.

I have a specific question: What is the best way to acquire champion stock?
Also, what is the chance that June will fit the standard if she has no champions in her background? I understand that for a dog to be a champion, its owners had to show the dog. My breeder didn't show, however.

By the way, June is KUSA registered (they are the only registering body in South Africa) and so far, she fits the standard. If she doesn't fit the standard, I won't breed her.

So, that is the main reason behind the champion stock question. I really want to start a breeding program, but as in everything else that I do in my life, I won't do it if I can't do it well. If June isn't standard, my breeding program won't begin with her.

I would really like some more information and advice from any experience breeders or any other YT members. I really want to do my best and I am counting on the amazing people at YT to help me.
I have a specific question: What is the best way to acquire champion stock?
Also, what is the chance that June will fit the standard if she has no champions in her background? I understand that for a dog to be a champion, its owners had to show the dog. My breeder didn't show, however.


The best way is to start studying pedigrees. Attending dog shows, allowing those experienced breeder/exhibitors to see you heart is in the right place and you are not it just to breed for $$$$. It takes a while, but it does happen.

It took me almost two years before my mentor allowed me to have one of her dogs.......Having a knowledgable mentor is worth their weight in gold. Mine has been with me every step of the way and still is. But, once you find your mentor, listen and learn.....soak everything up. You must be a willing student.

Once you get that coveted dog, a breeder will have a contract and expect you to Champion it. A respected/responsible breeder will only allow you to breed it after it's been Championed. My mentor allowed me to breed only after I finished 3 Champions.

When you go do a dog show....watch, listen and keep quiet......Watch how they groom, watch how they handle a dog.....etc.

What I'm about to say next is not meant to start an arguement, but just my opinion based on averages. I've not had the oppurtunity to see June and have my hands on her to make an educated guess that she has what it takes. AKC Championing a dog without coming from a long line of Champions has been done, but it takes an exceptional dog. I know plenty of exhibitors that have started the way you are attempting to and had to go back to the drawing board, do the home work and obtain the best dogs their money could buy. There are no short cuts and to coin a phrase from another exhibitor breeder "If you want a short cut, go to a barber". This breed is not easy, you can't just put two dogs together and expect a silk purse. Remember there are plenty of pet breeders out there. You want to strive for the best.
__________________
Mardelin
Yorkshire Terriers
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
YT 500 Club Member
 
Marilize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape town, South Africa
Posts: 703
Default

Mardelin, thank you so much for the advice. With every line I read, my plan becomes clearer.

Thanks again.
__________________
Cash & Orio RIP Beautiful Joni
Marilize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: virginia
Posts: 172
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
You're on your way to good start.

Read the YTCA code of ethics and conduct. Go to breeding and whelping seminars. Learn everything about the structure of the yorkie. YTCA has an illustrated standard of the yorkshire terrier that you can purchase. Study it. Investigate and study pedigrees.

A gurantee can be 1, 2, 5 or even a lifetime. What is more important is what is in the contract/gurantee.

There is an article that describes what makes a great breeder. There are different stages and some never achieve it.

Make sure that when you begin your breeding program that you begin with the best foundation your money can buy.

You mentioned showing and showing your dog is for the purpose of gaining aprroval of your breeding stock. I personally perfer not to breed a dog unless it has been Championed.

If you haven't already find a mentor, one that has a good track record in the dog world.

Some start breeding prior to showing and others don't breed until they've shown for a few years. I personnaly didn't begin until I championed 3 dogs.

But, as you say learn everything you can.
Thank you this is a good answer for everyone who thinks about breeding.
__________________
soryloveyorkie!!!!!!
soryloveyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167