View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilize View Post
Baxtersmommy, I am busy reading Dr. Pitcairn's on natural health for cats and dogs. I was very shocked when I learnt about all the animal byproducts, chemicals, etc. I will never again feed my dogs a commercial food. I prefer to make my own (according to the recipes and info in the book) because then I know what is in the food.
I have always hated using chemicals on my dogs, so the book was great. I don't know if you have read it, but it gives all kinds of tips on everything from arthritis to cleaning furniture. It also gave me reassurance that going natural is the best.

Mardelin, thank you so much for the information. It is exactly the type of advice that I want.

I am planning to attend quite a few dog shows this year and then, if June fits the standard well enough, I would like to find someone who can mentor me in showing and breeding. I do have someone who can mentor me, but I may have to find someone closer to me.

I have a specific question: What is the best way to acquire champion stock?
Also, what is the chance that June will fit the standard if she has no champions in her background? I understand that for a dog to be a champion, its owners had to show the dog. My breeder didn't show, however.

By the way, June is KUSA registered (they are the only registering body in South Africa) and so far, she fits the standard. If she doesn't fit the standard, I won't breed her.

So, that is the main reason behind the champion stock question. I really want to start a breeding program, but as in everything else that I do in my life, I won't do it if I can't do it well. If June isn't standard, my breeding program won't begin with her.

I would really like some more information and advice from any experience breeders or any other YT members. I really want to do my best and I am counting on the amazing people at YT to help me.
I have a specific question: What is the best way to acquire champion stock?
Also, what is the chance that June will fit the standard if she has no champions in her background? I understand that for a dog to be a champion, its owners had to show the dog. My breeder didn't show, however.

The best way is to start studying pedigrees. Attending dog shows, allowing those experienced breeder/exhibitors to see you heart is in the right place and you are not it just to breed for $$$$. It takes a while, but it does happen.

It took me almost two years before my mentor allowed me to have one of her dogs.......Having a knowledgable mentor is worth their weight in gold. Mine has been with me every step of the way and still is. But, once you find your mentor, listen and learn.....soak everything up. You must be a willing student.

Once you get that coveted dog, a breeder will have a contract and expect you to Champion it. A respected/responsible breeder will only allow you to breed it after it's been Championed. My mentor allowed me to breed only after I finished 3 Champions.

When you go do a dog show....watch, listen and keep quiet......Watch how they groom, watch how they handle a dog.....etc.

What I'm about to say next is not meant to start an arguement, but just my opinion based on averages. I've not had the oppurtunity to see June and have my hands on her to make an educated guess that she has what it takes. AKC Championing a dog without coming from a long line of Champions has been done, but it takes an exceptional dog. I know plenty of exhibitors that have started the way you are attempting to and had to go back to the drawing board, do the home work and obtain the best dogs their money could buy. There are no short cuts and to coin a phrase from another exhibitor breeder "If you want a short cut, go to a barber". This breed is not easy, you can't just put two dogs together and expect a silk purse. Remember there are plenty of pet breeders out there. You want to strive for the best.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!