View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Marilize
YT 500 Club Member

Rainbow What do I need to be a good breeder?

I have been a member of YT for more than two years and I have owned yorkies for that time. Every morning, I spend an hour or two researching yorkies and most afternoons, I am also on YT.

So, in two years, I want to start my own breeding program. I bought a beautiful girl earlier this year and she is very healthy at 5 months. The breeder I got her from knows that I plan to breed and she helped me pick out the best puppy. In hundreds of ways, June is the best thing that ever happened to me and I love her with all my heart.

I know that all YT members, especially the breeders, care a lot about their dogs and about the breeding practices of others, and I want to assure you that I feel exactly the same.

I really love yorkies and I want to start a breeding program to better the breed and to provide healthy, socialized puppies for caring people.

I have been reading about breeding for about 5 months and although I am nowhere near ready, I know about the risks and the precautions that need to be taken into account.

I would never breed a female under 5 lbs, so I hope June gets to be this size. If she doesn't, I won't breed her, I will just love her.

I am also passionate about home cooking and the organic lifestyle, so I want to raise the puppies on a healthy home cooked, nutritionist-balanced diet.

I have already put together an instruction sheet, my list for puppy care packages, recipes for home cooking, bill of sale and health guarantee.

Ok, so my question is: what do I need to do to be a good breeder? I want to show my dogs, breed ethically and responsibly. What should I do with regards to limited registration/spaying/neutering? I don't want one of my puppies to end up in a home where it is bred irresponsibly.

Another question: how long is the optimal health guarantee? 1 year? 2 years?

Feel free to quiz me on my breeding knowledge! I welcome any questions about my plan, my dogs, myself and my reasons for breeding. I really want to be one of the best breeders one day and I would really love the help of the great people of YT.

Any advice or questions will be greatly appreciated!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!