YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Yorkie Health & Diet
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Commercial dog foods you may want to avoid ( And why that might be true)

I was emailed a list of commercial dog foods that avoid the pitfalls of most commercial dog foods. These are posted in a different thread. Also included with the list was a list of foods that were excluded for a variety of reasons. Some of the reasons may be more or less valid to you individually. But I took the two lists to my vet and he had no disagreements with the information contained in either. Again- The list of "suggested foods" is in a separate post. But these are the brands that you may want to avoid if the ingredients are something you would rather prevent your dogs from ingesting. The main concern is the use of non-human grade products, or ingredients that have a higher "allergy" rate than other options, and/or ingredients that simply are not beneficial to your pets dietary needs...and in some cases potentially detrimental to those needs. The choice is up to you this is just additional information that can possibly help you make a better informed decision.

Also, before any of you get defensive and tell me how long you have been feeding your dogs _______ and they have lived long and healthy lives, let me say I have also fed my dogs the foods in this list. And even though most did live long lives- it makes you wonder if the might have had even MORE time with a higher quality dog food. My last dog developed allergies and kidney problems while eating the Royal Canin Yorkie Blend. And yes my current puppy is on the puppy blend of Royal Canin right now- but I think I will gradually move her to an approved brand. I have nothing to lose and possibly a few extra years with my baby to gain. In my humble opinion... it can't hurt to try. And it might even help- which is the reason for this post.

And again... this is simply a list that has been emailed to me and my vet said he saw nothing wrong or inaccurate with the information contained. He also agreed that the suggested foods had valid points for being considered superior to the foods on this list. I will post the suggested foods in a separate post. But will not include all the reasons or ingredients. If you'd like more detailed information you need to check out the website this information came from. Provided at the bottom of the list.

COMMERCIAL DOG FOOD BRANDS YOU MAY WANT TO AVOID:

Alpo -Use of Chicken By-products and Poultry By-product Meal, Corn as 1st Ingredient

Back To Basics Use of Menadione

Beneful Corn as 1st Ingredient, Use of Chicken By-product Meal & Animal Digest

Bil-Jac Use of Chicken By-products & Chicken By-product Meal

Caribou Creek Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Dried Egg Product, Fish Meal, Poultry Fat, Dried Blood Meal & Fish Oil

Cycle Corn as 1st Ingredient, Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Animal Fat, Animal Digest & BHA/BHT

Eukanuba Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product & Fish Oil

Gravy Train Use of Corn as 1st Ingredient, Soybean Meal as 2nd Ingredient, Beef & Bone Meal, Animal Fat, Animal Digest, Beef Broth, Artificial Flavor/Color and BHA/BHT

Iams Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product & Fish Oil

Kasco Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Poultry Fat, Fish Meal & Dried Egg Product

Kibbles 'n Bits Use of Corn as 1st Ingredient, Soybean Meal as 2nd ingredient, Beef & Bone Meal, Animal Fat, BHA/BHT, Animal Digest and Artificial Flavor/Color

Natural Balance Use of non-specific Fish Broth, Fish Meal & nonspecific Vitamin K Supplement

Nature's Recipe Use of Menadione

Pedigree Use of Corn as 1st Ingredient, Chicken By-product Meal, Meat Meal, Meat & Bone Meal, Animal Fat, BHA/BHT, Natural Poultry Flavor

PetsMart Use of Animal Fat & Dried Egg Product

Pinnacle Allergen-Free Use of Grapeseed Oil

Precise Use of non-specific Fish Oil & Menadione

Premium Edge Use of non-specific Ocean Fish Meal & Egg Product

Pro Plan Use of Poultry By-product Meal, Animal Fat, Fish Meal, Animal Digest & Dried Egg Product

Purina Dog Chow Use of Corn as 1st Ingredient, Poultry By-product Meal, Animal Fat, Animal Digest & Artificial Flavor/Color

Royal Canin Use of Dried Egg Powder & non-specific Fish Oil

Science Diet Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Animal Fat & Dried Egg Product

Solid Gold Use of non-specific Ocean Fish, Beef Meal & recent "Dry Dog Food Formula Changes" which are cost based (see website "News & Announcements"). Some changes made are positive, however.

Sensible Choice Use of Dried Egg Product & non-specific Fish Meal & Fish Oil

Three Dog Bakery Use of Dried Egg Product

Viand Use of Menadione

www.Healthy-K9.com
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

I disagree Royal Canin is recommended by by vet nutritionists and has actual science to back there food!
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Congratulations on your beautiful new puppy from Deb, Amazing Yorkies! Deb is a wonderful breeder, and has gorgeous dogs....and confidently feeds/starts her precious babies on Royal Canin....I would guess this fantastic breeder sends out all her babies on Royal Canin, as many, many of us do! Of course, when owners get their new babies, what and how often they are fed is up to the new owner, but there are a multitude of knowledgable breeders that trust Royal Canin and have had continued fantastic results with it, and encourage a continued feeding program with RC. Good luck with your choice of diet for your new baby, whatever it is! Wishing a long and healthy life to her....she comes from excellent genes and she has been started out very well! We certainly do not consider RC as "unapproved" by many people that have tested and researched it and the results achieved with it!

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 04-25-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

I just bit my tongue off....

Good night all.....(sleepy smiley)....
Old 04-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

As I posted on another thread, I home cook but when I feed kibble, it's Royal canin. It was recommended as a great small breed dog food from my vet nutritionist. Two of my dogs are almost 15 so I'm pretty satisfied with my choices.

I'm impressed with breeders like Deb and Judy who choose to feed a solid trusted food instead of the newest food with the best marketing. Good breeding is a lot but good nutrition can overcome many things as my dogs have demonstrated over the years. Good luck with your new puppy.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I looked at healthy-K9 site - most articles are written by Andrew Lewis - but no where did it cite his credentials. Is he a vet, or an animal nutritionist.
I admit I tend to only hVe confidence in animal nutritionists.

Guess what I mean is there is a web site for all kinds of opinions on what and how to feed dogs.

Can the OP give more information about him?
Thanks!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemini View Post
I looked at healthy-K9 site - most articles are written by Andrew Lewis - but no where did it cite his credentials. Is he a vet, or an animal nutritionist.
I admit I tend to only hVe confidence in animal nutritionists.

Guess what I mean is there is a web site for all kinds of opinions on what and how to feed dogs.

Can the OP give more information about him?
Thanks!
I can. A person who appears to be untrained in dog health who has a blog.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Senior Yorkie Talker

As I said.. fed my last little girl Royal Canin for 7 years, until she started throwing it up after eating it. The vet did some tests and she had early stage kidney problems. I'm not saying the kidney problems were from the RC- cuz we really don't know what the cause was. But, in her specific case, the RC was definitely not agreeing with her any longer. So she went to Hill K/D untl that started making her sick and she wouldn't eat it. Then the final years I just made her a Vet nutritionist approved homemade diet for kidneys.

My new puppy is on the Royal Canin puppy mix- and I free feed her that because she is a little nibbler ( just a few kibbles every 15 minutes or so- but not enough at one time to justify only allowing her 15 minutes. But even so-she seems really small and wasn't growing at all. ( She was 1 Lb 3 oz at 7 weeks and was only 1 lb 6 oz when I got her at 11.5 weeks. She stayed that same weight up until 14 weeks. (A week ago) Last friday- I started supplementing with Halo for Puppies and she's gained 2 oz in the last 8 days. She feels like a sturdy little dog now and has a waist without feeling so fragile. So I will keep the mix of both. But I have to admit-I do like the idea of Organic ( for her and me and my husband) And science is great( love that about Royal Canin) but have to admit I DO feel a bit of nervousness to see that term "By product" in a dog food....Even if they say it's the gizzards only rather than the waste other petfood companies use in regards to the term. When it comes to dog food I don't really trust anyone because I know there really aren't many standards and checks and balances out there to keep "corporations" looking for profit and bottom lines " Honest" when it comes to what is best for this little creature I love. When I read a list of ingredients it makes me cringe to hear a statement like "Dogs aren't people- they are dogs with different needs" If that is the case and all these pet food companies are correct in that...why is canine cancer up more than double what it was 40 years ago when most dogs got "Table scraps" rather than scientifically formulated kibbles? In fact why are ALL cancers up in people too for that matter with all the science advances? it's like the more we know...the more we learn we need to know.

Again.. not saying RC is bad...just that I don't think I 100% trust any commercial dog food. That fox guarding the hen house thing I guess. And my common sense tells me some of the ingredients I see used in RC are not "the best" "Gluten" anything makes me squirm. it's just a cheap plan based filler used to boost protein in dog food that would better be filled with actual meat proteins. ALso don't like seeing corn as an ingredient since it is of relatively low nutritional value to a dog. Soy REALLY makes me nervous as it can mess up hormones even in a fixed dog. And cellulose...waste of space in a dog food. No nutritional valise at all to a dog other than perhaps a little " Regularity" with the added fiber.

I may try some of the suggested kibbles that have ingredients I trust more...but like I said. Anything I feed this little girl is going to come with the approval of a nutritionist. It hurts too much to lose one. 12 years was not enough with my last little girl and I want to give Roxie the best chance at seeing 20 that I possibly can. I'm not afraid to spend a little money to get good advice and or on ingredients and a more expensive dog food. The bottom line is I want a happy healthy little fur baby as we all do.

I just thought the list might be of interest to some of the YT members. It was interesting to me at least. and looked like a good place to start. TO be honest the " Dried egg" product that got RC put on the "not recommended" list doesn't bother me so much as some of the ingredients I listed that weren't mentioned. I think eggs are good for little doggies in moderation. There are just so many variables it's hard to figure out what the best route is. I'm just doing the best I can like everyone else.

Thank you so much to all of you who comment. Even if you are playing devils advocate. it makes one stop and think and you DO bring up very valid points.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
Senior Yorkie Talker

yeah Andrew Lewis is a guy who lost his dog at 4 to Cancer and started doing research. The list is a compilation of that research...but that said. I did run it by a vet ( who agreed with the lists and ingredients that got certain brands put on the "do not use" list ( with the exception of eggs dried or not. His question was ...there is a white and a yolk..what is the "waste" supposedly used to make the "dried egg product"? )And I DO plan on running any diet by the canine nutritionist when we have our appt. It does seem to make sense that better ingredients would make for a better dog food. And it can't hurt to see if she agrees or disagrees.. But just because of my lack of faith in the pet food industry in general, I will most likely end up home cooking and supplementing as advised. I will always feel better when I am making it..that is really the only way to positively know what is in any food (people OR animal)
Old 04-25-2015, 11:58 PM   #10
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
Congratulations on your beautiful new puppy from Deb, Amazing Yorkies! Deb is a wonderful breeder, and has gorgeous dogs....and confidently feeds/starts her precious babies on Royal Canin....I would guess this fantastic breeder sends out all her babies on Royal Canin, as many, many of us do! Of course, when owners get their new babies, what and how often they are fed is up to the new owner, but there are a multitude of knowledgable breeders that trust Royal Canin and have had continued fantastic results with it, and encourage a continued feeding program with RC. Good luck with your choice of diet for your new baby, whatever it is! Wishing a long and healthy life to her....she comes from excellent genes and she has been started out very well! We certainly do not consider RC as "unapproved" by many people that have tested and researched it and the results achieved with it!
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
As I posted on another thread, I home cook but when I feed kibble, it's Royal canin. It was recommended as a great small breed dog food from my vet nutritionist. Two of my dogs are almost 15 so I'm pretty satisfied with my choices.

I'm impressed with breeders like Deb and Judy who choose to feed a solid trusted food instead of the newest food with the best marketing. Good breeding is a lot but good nutrition can overcome many things as my dogs have demonstrated over the years. Good luck with your new puppy.
Yep, and as I said in the other thread, I feed Hill's Ideal Balance and my pups who eat it are fine.

I would consider RC if not for the fact I have been happy with Hill's for some time now.

Again, I choose quality control over ingredients.

OP, if the dog food industry concerns you, you might want to think about why. Go back and look at the recall lists. So many foods that were touting superior ingredients were on those lists. Those companies with their marketing ploys scared people and they continue to market rather than use that money to hire vet nutritionists and do feeding trials. Just something to think about.

Anyway, good luck with your new puppy.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #12

If you are not aware of this website, you might find it interesting:

www.petdiets.com

Lots of great information. You also can submit questions to the vet nutrionist and she is usually quite prompt in responding.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:31 AM   #13
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofakind864 View Post
As I said.. fed my last little girl Royal Canin for 7 years, until she started throwing it up after eating it. The vet did some tests and she had early stage kidney problems. I'm not saying the kidney problems were from the RC- cuz we really don't know what the cause was. But, in her specific case, the RC was definitely not agreeing with her any longer. So she went to Hill K/D untl that started making her sick and she wouldn't eat it. Then the final years I just made her a Vet nutritionist approved homemade diet for kidneys.

My new puppy is on the Royal Canin puppy mix- and I free feed her that because she is a little nibbler ( just a few kibbles every 15 minutes or so- but not enough at one time to justify only allowing her 15 minutes. But even so-she seems really small and wasn't growing at all. ( She was 1 Lb 3 oz at 7 weeks and was only 1 lb 6 oz when I got her at 11.5 weeks. She stayed that same weight up until 14 weeks. (A week ago) Last friday- I started supplementing with Halo for Puppies and she's gained 2 oz in the last 8 days. She feels like a sturdy little dog now and has a waist without feeling so fragile. So I will keep the mix of both. But I have to admit-I do like the idea of Organic ( for her and me and my husband) And science is great( love that about Royal Canin) but have to admit I DO feel a bit of nervousness to see that term "By product" in a dog food....Even if they say it's the gizzards only rather than the waste other petfood companies use in regards to the term. When it comes to dog food I don't really trust anyone because I know there really aren't many standards and checks and balances out there to keep "corporations" looking for profit and bottom lines " Honest" when it comes to what is best for this little creature I love. When I read a list of ingredients it makes me cringe to hear a statement like "Dogs aren't people- they are dogs with different needs" If that is the case and all these pet food companies are correct in that...why is canine cancer up more than double what it was 40 years ago when most dogs got "Table scraps" rather than scientifically formulated kibbles? In fact why are ALL cancers up in people too for that matter with all the science advances? it's like the more we know...the more we learn we need to know.

Again.. not saying RC is bad...just that I don't think I 100% trust any commercial dog food. That fox guarding the hen house thing I guess. And my common sense tells me some of the ingredients I see used in RC are not "the best" "Gluten" anything makes me squirm. it's just a cheap plan based filler used to boost protein in dog food that would better be filled with actual meat proteins. ALso don't like seeing corn as an ingredient since it is of relatively low nutritional value to a dog. Soy REALLY makes me nervous as it can mess up hormones even in a fixed dog. And cellulose...waste of space in a dog food. No nutritional valise at all to a dog other than perhaps a little " Regularity" with the added fiber.

I may try some of the suggested kibbles that have ingredients I trust more...but like I said. Anything I feed this little girl is going to come with the approval of a nutritionist. It hurts too much to lose one. 12 years was not enough with my last little girl and I want to give Roxie the best chance at seeing 20 that I possibly can. I'm not afraid to spend a little money to get good advice and or on ingredients and a more expensive dog food. The bottom line is I want a happy healthy little fur baby as we all do.

I just thought the list might be of interest to some of the YT members. It was interesting to me at least. and looked like a good place to start. TO be honest the " Dried egg" product that got RC put on the "not recommended" list doesn't bother me so much as some of the ingredients I listed that weren't mentioned. I think eggs are good for little doggies in moderation. There are just so many variables it's hard to figure out what the best route is. I'm just doing the best I can like everyone else.

Thank you so much to all of you who comment. Even if you are playing devils advocate. it makes one stop and think and you DO bring up very valid points.
So much of this tells me your uninformed. But, I understand that you're emotional. Plus, marketing works.

Again, I've feed corn, rice, pasta and bread to my male Barney who is an absolutely beautiful yorkie about to turn 15. I home cooked all these years but use backup kibble and cookies as snacks.

Eggs are great for dogs - better than meat according to one vet nutritionist as the protein is more bio available. I feed eggs to Teddy a lot.

It's not recommended to feed home cooked to puppies under a year. If you do it, it should only be with a vet nutritionist guarantee. I probably would feed the RC puppy and use fresh foods as snacks. Btw, vet nutritionist means someone who is board certified. I've used Dr Remillard for over 6 years (www.petdiets.com).

Making your own dog food is not cheap nor is it convenient. I currently feed grain-free and the ingredients are more expensive than if I was feeding pasta or rice. Gluten is gaining so much attention these days. There are unproven theories and speculation. Sure, some people and dogs are intolerant to gluten (myself included!) or they get fat eating it (myself included) but others can eat it and be thin. My dog Barney loves pasta and he doesn't get fat. He is 8.63 lbs and a body score of 5 which is ideal. My dog Daisy is intolerant to grains of any kind. Like people, dogs are individuals. But what is more important than one ingredient is how the diet fits together. My youngest dog eats chicken legs, green sweet canned peas, and raw veggies with fish oil and a supplement. That tells you nothing about how much protein or fat he gets daily or his nutrient analysis.

I guess what I'm saying is don't assume nutrition is simple. if Deb Sillers who breeds beautiful winning grand champion dogs feeds RC, it's because it produces the health and beauty she's looking for. Any dog can get cancer or disease just like any person. Very few of them will live til 20. I personally declared victory when mine turned 12, and I think you should too. That's a long life and she was loved. I know it hurts to lose a pet, but that's the price we pay by sharing our lives with these amazing dogs. Theses babies do not live forever.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
So much of this tells me your uninformed. But, I understand that you're emotional. Plus, marketing works.

Again, I've feed corn, rice, pasta and bread to my male Barney who is an absolutely beautiful yorkie about to turn 15. I home cooked all these years but use backup kibble and cookies as snacks.

Eggs are great for dogs - better than meat according to one vet nutritionist as the protein is more bio available. I feed eggs to Teddy a lot.

It's not recommended to feed home cooked to puppies under a year. If you do it, it should only be with a vet nutritionist guarantee. I probably would feed the RC puppy and use fresh foods as snacks. Btw, vet nutritionist means someone who is board certified. I've used Dr Remillard for over 6 years (www.petdiets.com).

Making your own dog food is not cheap nor is it convenient. I currently feed grain-free and the ingredients are more expensive than if I was feeding pasta or rice. Gluten is gaining so much attention these days. There are unproven theories and speculation. Sure, some people and dogs are intolerant to gluten (myself included!) or they get fat eating it (myself included) but others can eat it and be thin. My dog Barney loves pasta and he doesn't get fat. He is 8.63 lbs and a body score of 5 which is ideal. My dog Daisy is intolerant to grains of any kind. Like people, dogs are individuals. But what is more important than one ingredient is how the diet fits together. My youngest dog eats chicken legs, green sweet canned peas, and raw veggies with fish oil and a supplement. That tells you nothing about how much protein or fat he gets daily or his nutrient analysis.

I guess what I'm saying is don't assume nutrition is simple. if Deb Sillers who breeds beautiful winning grand champion dogs feeds RC, it's because it produces the health and beauty she's looking for. Any dog can get cancer or disease just like any person. Very few of them will live til 20. I personally declared victory when mine turned 12, and I think you should too. That's a long life and she was loved. I know it hurts to lose a pet, but that's the price we pay by sharing our lives with these amazing dogs. Theses babies do not live forever.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #15
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynzy420 View Post
I just bit my tongue off....

Good night all.....(sleepy smiley)....
Me too. Good morning! I may have more to say later when my tongue heals.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote