YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Yorkie Health & Diet
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
YT 500 Club Member
 
FidoTheYorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hafnafjrur, Iceland , North Europe
Posts: 728
Default Yorkie Excersice

How much do you exercise your yorkie/s?

I dont know how much i should walk with mine, we go for bike runs few times a week (about 1 hour bike runs then), and i walk him 2-3 hours a day (if the weather is not good we go just for 30-40 minute walk)
__________________
Sun [Owner] ,Fido [Yorkie] ,Mmir [Chinese Crested] ,Kra [Icelandic cat] ,Skuggi [Forrest cat]
FidoTheYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
YT Addict
 
toke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoTheYorkie View Post
How much do you exercise your yorkie/s?

I dont know how much i should walk with mine, we go for bike runs few times a week (about 1 hour bike runs then), and i walk him 2-3 hours a day (if the weather is not good we go just for 30-40 minute walk)
It sounds like you are doing really well. By "bike run" do you mean you're riding a bicycle and Fido is running beside you??? That's terrific. Plus all that walking. Fido must be very fit.

I play fetch with Zoey in our fenced yard and she does a lot of running around...but that's all. You make me feel quite guilty...
__________________
Debby...owned by Zoey, the no longer Porky Chorkie (or maybe Morkie!)
toke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
YT 500 Club Member
 
FidoTheYorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hafnafjrur, Iceland , North Europe
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke View Post
It sounds like you are doing really well. By "bike run" do you mean you're riding a bicycle and Fido is running beside you??? That's terrific. Plus all that walking. Fido must be very fit.

I play fetch with Zoey in our fenced yard and she does a lot of running around...but that's all. You make me feel quite guilty...

Hah, he's really a bit fat
He's 7 kg/kilos and is suppose to be about 6 kg :P
Fido is on Diet food and everything.

But his legs are so muscled, and he's only 1 year and with muscle's this young

And yes, when i say Bike running i mean that i bike and he runs
He loves it ! We always have a pause in between so he can pee and rest for 2 minutes or so

I dont have a fenced yard for him to run and play in, not until next year or the year after that.
He's just in a long leash when he's in our yard.
__________________
Sun [Owner] ,Fido [Yorkie] ,Mmir [Chinese Crested] ,Kra [Icelandic cat] ,Skuggi [Forrest cat]
FidoTheYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
YT Addict
 
toke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 258
Default

Well...always remember...muscle weighs more than fat. My Zoey weighs 4.25 pounds (1.93 kg). Can you tell I have a handy converter program? I had to use it to figure out how much Fido weighs in pounds so I could understand.

Seriously...can you feel his ribs and backbone? He may not be fat at all...just a bodybuilding muscle man! Can you post a picture? I'd love to see Mr. Fido.
__________________
Debby...owned by Zoey, the no longer Porky Chorkie (or maybe Morkie!)
toke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
YT 500 Club Member
 
FidoTheYorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hafnafjrur, Iceland , North Europe
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke View Post
Well...always remember...muscle weighs more than fat. My Zoey weighs 4.25 pounds (1.93 kg). Can you tell I have a handy converter program? I had to use it to figure out how much Fido weighs in pounds so I could understand.

Seriously...can you feel his ribs and backbone? He may not be fat at all...just a bodybuilding muscle man! Can you post a picture? I'd love to see Mr. Fido.
Wow, my boy was 2 kg. around 3 months :P
He's pretty big now, he has a litle longer legs than other yorkies i think.

I can not find his ribs or hip bones, the vet told me to have him on diet food until i can feel the ribs and then change over to the Yorkie food again
I have him on Royal Canin Mini Light now, he is this fat because the vet forgot to tell us when we got him neutered that we were suppose to change to adult food after the surgery.
He was 2-3 months on puppy food after he got neutered.

Here are two picture's of my giant happy Yorkie
I hope it works :P

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6595415_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4423555_n.jpg
Before he got his summer haircut
__________________
Sun [Owner] ,Fido [Yorkie] ,Mmir [Chinese Crested] ,Kra [Icelandic cat] ,Skuggi [Forrest cat]

Last edited by FidoTheYorkie; 08-21-2009 at 10:03 AM.
FidoTheYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
YT Addict
 
toke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 258
Default

Wow, Sunny...he is totally gorgeous!!!! He sure doesn't look fat at all. No wonder he got a little chubby on puppy food, lol. Still...it doesn't show, even in his summer haircut picture. I like the teapots...they're so sturdy and less prone to a lot of the smaller dog problems, I'll bet. Plus, they're a whole lot less likely to trip you. And they look every bit as cute, too.

Zoey is a Yorkie-Chihuahua mix, though she looks more Yorkie. You can see some pics of her in my album on this site. She's a year and a half old, now. Believe it...she's chubby, too. Recently lost a quarter of a pound. For treats all she's getting are fresh fruits and vegetables...apples, bananas, strawberries, carrots, zucchini, green beans, etc. Not all at once, of course. I have to admit, I keep wondering if those bully sticks are fattening...
__________________
Debby...owned by Zoey, the no longer Porky Chorkie (or maybe Morkie!)
toke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
YT 500 Club Member
 
FidoTheYorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hafnafjrur, Iceland , North Europe
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke View Post
Wow, Sunny...he is totally gorgeous!!!! He sure doesn't look fat at all. No wonder he got a little chubby on puppy food, lol. Still...it doesn't show, even in his summer haircut picture. I like the teapots...they're so sturdy and less prone to a lot of the smaller dog problems, I'll bet. Plus, they're a whole lot less likely to trip you. And they look every bit as cute, too.

Zoey is a Yorkie-Chihuahua mix, though she looks more Yorkie. You can see some pics of her in my album on this site. She's a year and a half old, now. Believe it...she's chubby, too. Recently lost a quarter of a pound. For treats all she's getting are fresh fruits and vegetables...apples, bananas, strawberries, carrots, zucchini, green beans, etc. Not all at once, of course. I have to admit, I keep wondering if those bully sticks are fattening...
Thank you !

Zoey is realy cute!
I agree, she's much more like a Yorkie than Chihuahua
He doesnt like fruits and vegetables much, as he loves food much i cant give him litle bit of carrot, but there is one vegetable that he loves, that is broccoli :P

Is cheese fattening?
I was thinking of giving him litle cheese bits when im teaching him to come of leash and when im teaching him something new

Fido only gets rawhide,not bullysticks, is rawhide fattening?
__________________
Sun [Owner] ,Fido [Yorkie] ,Mmir [Chinese Crested] ,Kra [Icelandic cat] ,Skuggi [Forrest cat]
FidoTheYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
YT Addict
 
toke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoTheYorkie View Post
Thank you !

Zoey is realy cute!
I agree, she's much more like a Yorkie than Chihuahua
He doesnt like fruits and vegetables much, as he loves food much i cant give him litle bit of carrot, but there is one vegetable that he loves, that is broccoli :P

Is cheese fattening?
I was thinking of giving him litle cheese bits when im teaching him to come of leash and when im teaching him something new

Fido only gets rawhide,not bullysticks, is rawhide fattening?
Thank you for your kind comment about Zoey! I'll have to try broccoli with her, that's a new one. I'm telling you, she loves ALL food...

Cheese is sure fattening for me, lol. As long as you give him little tiny bits, I think it's ok. Better than all that store bought junk, IMO.

My veterinarian is totally against rawhide, because it is not digestible and can swell up in the gut and cause blockage, if it doesn't pass through. According to him, this can kill them if not removed surgically. However...he worries a lot. Many folks use rawhide chews with no problems at all. He scared me out of it though...our pooches are so small and I am known to worry a bit myself.

He's been my vet for about 30 years and had never heard of bully sticks. When I told him what they were he went back and forth between laughing and gagging. I think it had something to do with having one himself...
__________________
Debby...owned by Zoey, the no longer Porky Chorkie (or maybe Morkie!)
toke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
YT 500 Club Member
 
FidoTheYorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hafnafjrur, Iceland , North Europe
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke View Post
Thank you for your kind comment about Zoey! I'll have to try broccoli with her, that's a new one. I'm telling you, she loves ALL food...

Cheese is sure fattening for me, lol. As long as you give him little tiny bits, I think it's ok. Better than all that store bought junk, IMO.

My veterinarian is totally against rawhide, because it is not digestible and can swell up in the gut and cause blockage, if it doesn't pass through. According to him, this can kill them if not removed surgically. However...he worries a lot. Many folks use rawhide chews with no problems at all. He scared me out of it though...our pooches are so small and I am known to worry a bit myself.

He's been my vet for about 30 years and had never heard of bully sticks. When I told him what they were he went back and forth between laughing and gagging. I think it had something to do with having one himself...
Haha

Im not gonna give Fido more rawhides.
Thanks for letting me know of this!
Everyone here in Iceland gives his dog rawhide, this is not a known proplem here in Iceland but either way, im not going to give Fido more rawhide.
__________________
Sun [Owner] ,Fido [Yorkie] ,Mmir [Chinese Crested] ,Kra [Icelandic cat] ,Skuggi [Forrest cat]
FidoTheYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Donating Yorkie Yakker
 
ILUVSADIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 363
Default

Fido is a BEAUTIFUL big boy and doesn't look at all fat! Sadie only weighs 4 pounds 12 ounces - and my vet told me to NEVER feed her table scraps because of her size and the possibility of developing colitis or pancreatitis with such a small dog.

Soooooo - only Natural Balance hypoallergenic dog food for my little one...
__________________
Sadie's Mommy
ILUVSADIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
YT 500 Club Member
 
FidoTheYorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hafnafjrur, Iceland , North Europe
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSADIE View Post
Fido is a BEAUTIFUL big boy and doesn't look at all fat! Sadie only weighs 4 pounds 12 ounces - and my vet told me to NEVER feed her table scraps because of her size and the possibility of developing colitis or pancreatitis with such a small dog.

Soooooo - only Natural Balance hypoallergenic dog food for my little one...
Thanks
He has a litle bit of fat on his stumach , but we are going for daily bike rides and im letting him run more free (is always on a leash), the fat shouldnt stay long on
After few months this fat will become muscles

Fido sometimes get a litle chicken from the table or rice, i just put it in his bowl then with his food.
He never gets just all the table scraps, just a litle bit with his own food
I always watch out to give him not much fat with it.
__________________
Sun [Owner] ,Fido [Yorkie] ,Mmir [Chinese Crested] ,Kra [Icelandic cat] ,Skuggi [Forrest cat]
FidoTheYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166