YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Sick & Injured / Emergencies Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Hannah3183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 169
Default not sure what's wrong....

My yorkie vomited Sunday night and again right after she ate on Monday morning. (two really large amounts) She then snubbed her food for the rest of the day, and Tuesday when she tried to eat a tiny bit again, she puked it up. I took her to the vet on Wednesday, and they rehyrdrated her and ran some bloodwork. They didn't find anything wrong and put her on a boiled chicken n rice diet for 2 days. She hasn't puked since, but its going on 3 days now and she hasn't pooped! I can't believe that after eating 2 whole chicken breasts the past few days that she hasn't needed to go to the bathroom! I called the vet this morning and they just said, well she probably hasn't ate much since she puked...give it time..she should go today or tomorrow. Well - still nothing ....and just a while ago(3:30om), she was coughing like she was vomiting in her mouth..and just one grain of rice came up. I fed her at 6am chicken/rice/and a spoon of kibble and she hasn't ate since. The vet is closed tomorrow and im just really worried about her.

She is acting normal....but she shouldn't be randomly gagging and not pooping! It's just not right....i don't care what the vet says.

Anyone ever experienced this?
Hannah3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Loved by Layla
Donating Member
 
marcerella02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah3183 View Post
My yorkie vomited Sunday night and again right after she ate on Monday morning. (two really large amounts) She then snubbed her food for the rest of the day, and Tuesday when she tried to eat a tiny bit again, she puked it up. I took her to the vet on Wednesday, and they rehyrdrated her and ran some bloodwork. They didn't find anything wrong and put her on a boiled chicken n rice diet for 2 days. She hasn't puked since, but its going on 3 days now and she hasn't pooped! I can't believe that after eating 2 whole chicken breasts the past few days that she hasn't needed to go to the bathroom! I called the vet this morning and they just said, well she probably hasn't ate much since she puked...give it time..she should go today or tomorrow. Well - still nothing ....and just a while ago(3:30om), she was coughing like she was vomiting in her mouth..and just one grain of rice came up. I fed her at 6am chicken/rice/and a spoon of kibble and she hasn't ate since. The vet is closed tomorrow and im just really worried about her.

She is acting normal....but she shouldn't be randomly gagging and not pooping! It's just not right....i don't care what the vet says.

Anyone ever experienced this?
well first off.. i would ask for a Bile Acid Test and do it soon. It is a test for the liver and when you said she threw up right after eating.. that was the first thing i thought of. But since she hasn't done it since... probably all is well but i would FOR SURE check just in case.

As for the pooping. Give her two things- pro biotic yogurt to help her tummy get back to normal after all the puking and give her pure pumpkin (comes in a can.. NOT the spiced kind)which will help her poop.. might take 24 hours till you see poop.

You might think about a new vet?
__________________
Layla 's Simon
marcerella02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
I love my lil wolf! ;)
Donating Member
 
Catrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,434
Default

sorry no advice here.. but i hope everything turns out okay!
Catrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Wylie's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,889
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Oh gosh - she must be uncomfortable at this point. That is a lot of food by now. At this point, I'd give mineral oil - 1/4 tsp (~ 1ml.) to start - wait an hour, give another 1/4 tsp. and then wait about 3 hours or so. If nothing, give another 1/4 tsp. and repeat. You could repeat one more time within about 12 hours, but beyond that - if she hasn't gone, I'd probably stop and consider an ER vet, depending on her state. Is she drinking?
__________________
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Hannah3183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 169
Default

She has been drinking fine, but today has hardly drank any water at all.
I'm at such a loss at what to do... thank you all for the help.
Hannah3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Wylie's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,889
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah3183 View Post
She has been drinking fine, but today has hardly drank any water at all.
I'm at such a loss at what to do... thank you all for the help.
How is her energy? Are her gums white or pale pink/pink?

If her tummy is full, she may not want to drink. Does her tummy feel hard?
I really think you need to get her to poop and/or call an ER vet.
If her energy is high/good and it's not hot out, you could also try taking her for a walk as movement can get things moving too. (or, fetch inside)

Do you have the mineral oil? You can get it at any grocery, drug store, Target etc.
__________________
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Loved by Layla
Donating Member
 
marcerella02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
How is her energy? Are her gums white or pale pink/pink?

If her tummy is full, she may not want to drink. Does her tummy feel hard?
I really think you need to get her to poop and/or call an ER vet.
If her energy is high/good and it's not hot out, you could also try taking her for a walk as movement can get things moving too. (or, fetch inside)
__________________
Layla 's Simon
marcerella02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Hannah3183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 169
Default

Her gums are pink and her energy level is high.
We've played fetch for most of the day and have even taken a few short walks.

I just now went and got the mineral oil.

Wednesday the vet gave her Metoclopramid syrup to help with the vomiting...and Metronidazole for a possible bacterial infection that she's still taking. I know they did bloodwork and said she didn't have any diseases. (Not sure if that included a bile acid test or not.)
Hannah3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
Loved by Layla
Donating Member
 
marcerella02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah3183 View Post
Her gums are pink and her energy level is high.
We've played fetch for most of the day and have even taken a few short walks.

I just now went and got the mineral oil.

Wednesday the vet gave her Metoclopramid syrup to help with the vomiting...and Metronidazole for a possible bacterial infection that she's still taking. I know they did bloodwork and said she didn't have any diseases. (Not sure if that included a bile acid test or not.)
Bile acid is a process... you go in.. get the test... they feed the pup.. and test agian.. but try the mineral oil. Also if she is on antibiotics it is VERY important that she have pro biotic yogurt daily to get the good bacteria back in her body.
__________________
Layla 's Simon
marcerella02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Wylie's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,889
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah3183 View Post
.and Metronidazole for a possible bacterial infection that she's still taking. I know they did bloodwork and said she didn't have any diseases. (Not sure if that included a bile acid test or not.)
Ah, METRO! That could be it right there. It can do alllll sorts of weird things, including digestive things - but usually it's diarrhea. Keep her on it, of course, but, I'd try the mineral oil.

Here's some good info on Metro: Metronidazole For Veterinary Use
__________________
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Hannah3183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Ah, METRO! That could be it right there. It can do alllll sorts of weird things, including digestive things - but usually it's diarrhea. Keep her on it, of course, but, I'd try the mineral oil.

Here's some good info on Metro: Metronidazole For Veterinary Use
I greatly appreciate all of the advice you've given. I just gave her the mineral oil about 30 mins ago, and we've ran a little outside and have been playing fetch. Crossing my fingers.....

If nothing happens tonight or tomorrow morning on the mineral oil - do you suggest me taking her to the emergency vet tomorrow, or should I just wait til her vet can see her again on Monday?
Hannah3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
YT 3000 Club Member
 
mscat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hanford, CA
Posts: 4,895
Default

I was just thinking that maybe this could be caused by something she ate? and now has a blockage ? I'd take her in to see the vet and do further investigating.
__________________
"No matter how little money & how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."
mscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Wylie's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,889
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah3183 View Post
I greatly appreciate all of the advice you've given. I just gave her the mineral oil about 30 mins ago, and we've ran a little outside and have been playing fetch. Crossing my fingers.....

If nothing happens tonight or tomorrow morning on the mineral oil - do you suggest me taking her to the emergency vet tomorrow, or should I just wait til her vet can see her again on Monday?
Well, I'm worried about *all* that food being inside her, and that she hasn't gone poo yet. What concerns me is that, if she isn't just constipated - then it may be a blockage of some sort. If it's that, it can be life threatening - in no uncertain terms.

Dogs have very short digestive systems, so that's why they usually stay fairly regular. While it's not too surprising her system is a little off, this is pretty excessive. And, at this point - getting dangerous (or at the very least, no longer something to "mess with" - you know?).

I think I would feed very little at this point, but give water. To encourage water, take a small bowl of water and add some karo or honey to sweeten it - she may drink more that way.

So has she eaten even more today? Poor thing...
__________________
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O

Last edited by Wylie's Mom; 07-26-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Hannah3183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Well, I'm worried about *all* that food being inside her, and that she hasn't gone poo yet. What concerns me is that, if she isn't just constipated - then it may be a blockage of some sort. If it's that, it can be life threatening - in no uncertain terms.

Dogs have very short digestive systems, so that's why they usually stay fairly regular. While it's not too surprising her system is a little off, this is pretty excessive. And, at this point - getting dangerous (or at the very least, no longer something to "mess with" - you know?).

I think I would feed very little at this point, but give water. To encourage water, take a small bowl of water and add some karo or honey to sweeten it - she may drink more that way.

So has she eaten even more today? Poor thing...
She had her usual amount of food today. I don't think im going to give her anything in the morning if she doesn't go tonight and more than likely be taking her to the emergency center tomorrow. I gave her the 2nd dose of mineral oil and nothing has happened. She's gone to sleep now. I'm just really hoping for the oil to work during the middle of the night. I'm worried sick and thinking that the original diagnosis from her vomiting is wrong now....
Hannah3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #15
Donating YT 3000 Club Member
 
Yorkieluv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 7,178
Default

She may need some lactulose to help her go. They may need to do an enema to clear her out if it's constipation and she can't go on her own...
__________________
Miko 's his Mommy
Yorkieluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166