YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #1
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Default Cody in ER vet

9:30PM last night I rushed Cody for emergency visit, my vet is a 24/7 365 day vet, fully staffed. He was lethargic, when he sat his head was hanging inches off the floor, when he walked his head was bent to the floor, he couldn't jump on the sofa or bed. This began about 3:30 afternoon. He eats at 4, he starts bothering me to eat around 3:30, so at this time he is just sitting on the floor, head bent down inches from the floor, once in a while he lifted his head to look at me. I thought it was a new ploy just to eat early, but I never cave in to this pathetic looks. I always tell him "it's not time, you have to wait".

Come 4PM I always say "it's time" in a happy excited voice, he knows it's dinner time, he always jumps up nippy at my finger tips, letting out happy yips and yaps. This did not happen yesterday, no excitement at all, red flag, but he ate, drank water then out to poop.
At 5 / 5:30 I saw he was hesitant to jump on the sofa or my bed, he would look at the sofa then walk away and go to his bed, his head always bent inches off the floor.

His days adventure was trying to capture a chipmunk that was under my free standing deck umbrella. There are 8 channels at the base that chipmunks go into, they can run from one channel to the others. When I let him out the umbrella stand is the first place he goes to, so he caught the scent of prey, usually when there's a chippy under there after a minute or two of Cody running from channel to channel, barking, growling, biting, digging at the base the chippy starts chirping out of fear. Always at that time I bring him in the house to give the chippy time to escape.

Yesterday no chirping, I think maybe a mole or a mouse. Because the crank to open this umbrella is high, taller then I am I have a steel step with a couple of 4x4 wood pieces of wood on top of this step to reach the crank. Well he had pulled the wood off the step, pulled the steel step away from the base which is round and was running from channel to channel. I was watering my flower planters with the garden hose, my back was to him, I heard noise but didn't actually see him moving all these things until I was finished. Then I saw what he had done, this was all in 15 minutes, then I heard chirping, it was a chippy so in the house we came. This was maybe 12:30, when he came in we had to play toss and fetch, he was fine, jumping on and off he sofa bringing back his toy for me to toss again. Then it was nap time, he had to much activity. He woke up close to 3:30. Around the 5:30PM area he was getting worse, 7:30 he is sitting with head inches off the floor like he was staring at something but stayed that way for minutes, then look at me with a plea of mamma help me look on his face / eyes. Was this a case for a vet emergency visit, sometime the receptionist that answers the phone or a tech makes the decision if it's an emergency or not.

In he past with my now passed Matese twice I called I wanted to come in on a emergency visit, twice they put a tech on the phone, she denied me a visit but made an appt. to come in the next day. I had a lot of fights over these denials and reported this tech. On both of these occasions Matese was was kept 5 days, another time 7 days. I haven't seen that tech there for 3 or 4 years, I guess to many complaints against her was filed and my vet let her go. With this COVID the tech comes out to the car to collect the animals, ppl are not allowed to enter the building. Had I called and was denied I would have went anyway and marched into that office, and I would have been hauled out by the state troupers, so I had to think carefully, was this an emergency or could it wait until today. By 9:30 he was worse, I could tell he was in pain, I never had a yorkie look at me with eyes saying mamma,why are you not helping me, if I was denied I would take my chances and go anyway and march right into that office.

When I called I told the receptionist exactly what he did, and the symptoms he had, I have to admit, I did fabricate a lil bit by saying his back was slightly arched, I had to get him in that office that night, who knows, if he ingested a sliver of wood today could have been to late. Thankfully they told me to bring him over but I would have to leave him there over night, that's just what I wanted, professional ppl that know what symptoms to look for. These over night animals are monitored throughout the night with a vet on staff.

Since you only see the tech that takes him from the car I had typed out a note what he did that day and several hours later what his symptoms were.

Driving home all I could do was pounder over what caused this besides to much exercise in one day, more then he is use to. I woke this morning still pondering about this and remembered a few years back he was fence running with a dog on the other side of the fence, I thought it was good exercise and let it continue for 45 minutes before I made him go in the house. Within an hour he was lethargic, couldn't jump on furniture, I called the vet to bring him in on an emergency visit, I knew it was from to much running, he's not use to doing that. I was given muscle relaxer and pain meds and sent home. It took two weeks for his body to fully recover. The symptoms Cody had last night were the same as the fence running only, now he was hanging his head. This morning I called the vets office, asked the receptionist to tell the vet I believe he has sore muscles. Before I called the vets office, I sent my vet an email with the typed note I gave the tech last night but added, now that my mind has cleared I believe he has sore muscles. I know my vet will not see this email until later today or tonight, and reason I called the office.
With-in minutes a tech called me with their findings, he has sprained ligaments in his neck and shoulders, he is on anti-inflammatory meds now. My vet comes in at 5PM today, she is to give him chiropractic treatment, I don't know if he is staying over night, they have to wait until my vet does the treatment and she makes the decision when he gets released. Now I know why he held his head down inches from the floor.

So, shame on me for thinking 15 minutes of crazy activity was good exercise for him since he doesn't get much, now my lil boy is terrified in a cage at the vets. And, because of COVID there are no visiting allowed. I owe my boy big time for my careless behavior in allowing him to have what I thought was fun for him and much needed exercise.

I have to keep in mind that dogs like ppl who over the winter do not get much physical exercise, in Spring we work a little at a time to build up our muscles to heavy duty work again, dogs need the same.
Wanted to add, as much pain Cody had to be in last night, when I put him in his booster seat and drove off, he never once took his eyes off the road, that was the first time ever he has been in the car at night, he seemed to be mesmerized by all the lights lol, I just love this lil guy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 08-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Oh, Joan, this is so disturbing and so scary. Thank goodness you got him right in for vet care as no healthy eater, or active little Yorkie ever foregoes his meals or just sits around with his little head hanging down. And I'm right there with you on wanting my ailing dog where it can get help, should it need it as I'm no vet, can't do much of anything for a dog in that much distress as far as assessment/early diagnosis or treatment. If any vet turns away my dog in distress, I'm going to the Emergency Vet, as they are usually ready to assess and help a dog in distress. So even if you have to drive 75+ miles to get to an Emergency Vet, your baby is more than worth it.

Yorkies usually seem to come in from outside supercharged, have to be calmed down a bit. I've never known a Yorkie to injure itself with over-exercise or over-activity, then nap and awake in distress but obviously it happened to poor little Cody! And it happened before! Tibbe, well all of my Yorkies, would fence run forever when another dog was on the other side and it never ended in strain or an injury, lethargy. Hope poor Cody didn't slip a cervical disc or tear a shoulder ligament, etc., but then he'd likely have other symptoms that a good orthopedic aspect of the check-up could reveal. I've forgotten how old he is but is he arthritic and does he have a thin, under-developed musculature? Could that be the reason for such an increase in that much distress for increased activity? No one ever said Yorkies have any judgment whatsoever, have no off switch but you can't help loving them all the more for their determination, even when an awful outcome from that determination breaks your heart.

Thankfully little Cody is getting his needed care and is blessed to have a responsible guardian ready to fight for him if need be to get him immediate needed care. Would that every sweet little Yorkie had someone like you! Please keep us updated as little Cody matters a great deal to us, as do you.

Last edited by yorkietalkjilly; 08-24-2020 at 01:04 PM.
yorkietalkjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
YT Addict

It’s so scary when you can tell that a pup (or any pet) is hurting, but you don’t know what’s wrong. I’m like you: I always prefer to err on the side of seeing the vet unnecessarily rather than waiting too long to seek help. Especially with small pups like Yorkies.

I’m wondering, from your description of what happened, whether Cody possibly pulled something (like some of those 4 x 4 pieces of wood) over on himself and they landed on his neck and shoulders? Personally, I’m kind of a klutz, and when I bang myself up on something, the pain usually comes on gradually if it’s “just” a soft tissue injury.

Hope to hear he’s feeling better soon.
Bluebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
YT 500 Club Member

Poor little Cody! I am so sorry that he hurt himself, and glad that you had him attended to right away. Fortunately most of our babies tend to heal from injuries pretty quickly...hopefully not so quickly that he will re-injure himself. Good luck in keeping him quiet until he fully heals! Please keep us updated on that sweet boy.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Oh wow I’m so sorry. I’m glad y’all figured out what was going on. Poor guy I hope he gets better enough to come home soon. I will keep both of y’all in my prayers. I can imagine how scary this was especially since you couldn’t physically talk to the vet when he went in. I remember back when I played softball that when spring hit and I started practicing again my throwing arm would hurt so bad I couldn’t sleep and would cry I guess due to being out of shape. I know that no matter what I say you are still going to feel guilty and beat yourself up but there was no way you knew that was going to happen and it’s definitely not your fault.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:22 AM   #6
YT Addict

Poor little Cody. Wishing him a speedy recovery! How frustrating that because of COVID their is no visits and no direct contact with vet.. I hope Cody will be able to come home soon.

I don't know if it's applicable to dogs, but I know how i myself badly sprained neck muscles a few times only by making a very abrupt head twitch to look behind... it happened in seconds.. What I mean is please don't blame yourself, you had no idea some exercise would turn into an injury.
Mike_and_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:06 AM   #7
♥Trained by my pups♥
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Oh man sending prayers he gets to come home tonight And is feeling much better
Old 08-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
Oh, Joan, this is so disturbing and so scary. Thank goodness you got him right in for vet care as no healthy eater, or active little Yorkie ever foregoes his meals or just sits around with his little head hanging down. And I'm right there with you on wanting my ailing dog where it can get help, should it need it as I'm no vet, can't do much of anything for a dog in that much distress as far as assessment/early diagnosis or treatment. If any vet turns away my dog in distress, I'm going to the Emergency Vet, as they are usually ready to assess and help a dog in distress. So even if you have to drive 75+ miles to get to an Emergency Vet, your baby is more than worth it.

Yorkies usually seem to come in from outside supercharged, have to be calmed down a bit. I've never known a Yorkie to injure itself with over-exercise or over-activity, then nap and awake in distress but obviously it happened to poor little Cody! And it happened before! Tibbe, well all of my Yorkies, would fence run forever when another dog was on the other side and it never ended in strain or an injury, lethargy. Hope poor Cody didn't slip a cervical disc or tear a shoulder ligament, etc., but then he'd likely have other symptoms that a good orthopedic aspect of the check-up could reveal. I've forgotten how old he is but is he arthritic and does he have a thin, under-developed musculature? Could that be the reason for such an increase in that much distress for increased activity? No one ever said Yorkies have any judgment whatsoever, have no off switch but you can't help loving them all the more for their determination, even when an awful outcome from that determination breaks your heart.

Thankfully little Cody is getting his needed care and is blessed to have a responsible guardian ready to fight for him if need be to get him immediate needed care. Would that every sweet little Yorkie had someone like you! Please keep us updated as little Cody matters a great deal to us, as do you.
In the future if he gets all worked up outside Ill make sure he calms down first. I felt bad that I had to force him away from his find, I couldn't deny him his fav. toss and fetch indoor game too. Cody turned 9 years old this past March, he doesn't have arthritis, he doesn't appear to have under developed musculature. I don't walk him much in my community because of dogs dashing out of ppl's houses, that dog may be friendly but Cody isn't. To many loose dogs here so no more walks. Walking builds up muscle mass, and reason "I think" when he chases critters in this crazy, wild, insane manner he's using muscles that aren't use to this heavy duty workout. I think when he was napping his body was relaxed, when he woke and started moving then the soreness kicked in. I know that happens to me after I've done a lot of bending and lifting, once I sit and relax then get up I feel the soreness, I take a hot shower. I assume this can happen to animals also, to bad we can't fix them with a hot shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebells View Post
It’s so scary when you can tell that a pup (or any pet) is hurting, but you don’t know what’s wrong. I’m like you: I always prefer to err on the side of seeing the vet unnecessarily rather than waiting too long to seek help. Especially with small pups like Yorkies.

I’m wondering, from your description of what happened, whether Cody possibly pulled something (like some of those 4 x 4 pieces of wood) over on himself and they landed on his neck and shoulders? Personally, I’m kind of a klutz, and when I bang myself up on something, the pain usually comes on gradually if it’s “just” a soft tissue injury.

Hope to hear he’s feeling better soon.
This is a possibility, I was wondering the same thing since I didn't actually see him when he was tearing things out of his way, my back was turned away from him, but I figured if one of the 4x4 wood which is appox 18 long would have fallen on him and hurt him he would have yelped. The wood would have slipped on him not actually fallen on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanajoy View Post
Poor little Cody! I am so sorry that he hurt himself, and glad that you had him attended to right away. Fortunately most of our babies tend to heal from injuries pretty quickly...hopefully not so quickly that he will re-injure himself. Good luck in keeping him quiet until he fully heals! Please keep us updated on that sweet boy.
I know how quickly these lil monkeys heal and keeping them calm is a task lol. So no bird feeding for two weeks, that draws the squirrels which drives Cody insane. I'll have to keep the blinds shut so he can't see them because that drives him nuts lol.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
Oh wow I’m so sorry. I’m glad y’all figured out what was going on. Poor guy I hope he gets better enough to come home soon. I will keep both of y’all in my prayers. I can imagine how scary this was especially since you couldn’t physically talk to the vet when he went in. I remember back when I played softball that when spring hit and I started practicing again my throwing arm would hurt so bad I couldn’t sleep and would cry I guess due to being out of shape. I know that no matter what I say you are still going to feel guilty and beat yourself up but there was no way you knew that was going to happen and it’s definitely not your fault.
Not being able to speak directly with the vet is terrible, when I got to the vet they already had a bill prepared based on what I told the receptionist, how do I know what that girl told my vet. The bill was prepared because I had to pay 1/2 at drop off, if the cost is more then what that bill was I pay that at release time. When I got there I they have numbered parking slots, you park then call, tell them what # your car is in, they come out and get the dog. So I take him out to make a pee-pee the tech came out right away and whisked him off, I had to shout out for her to wait, I had to give her the note of what he did and his symptoms, I never got a chance to hold him and tell him to be a good boy, and give him a kiss and a hug, he kept looking back at me like mamma help me. He is a rescue boy, taken away from him prev. owners, so anytime someone takes him from me I think, he thinks I am throwing him away like his prev. owner did and it breaks my heart the look on his face and in his eyes. All this because he sniffed a critter and wanted it. I didn't want to deprive him of a little hunting. Who knew just 10 / 15 minutes of hard crazy running would end up with him in ER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_and_Me View Post
Poor little Cody. Wishing him a speedy recovery! How frustrating that because of COVID their is no visits and no direct contact with vet.. I hope Cody will be able to come home soon.

I don't know if it's applicable to dogs, but I know how i myself badly sprained neck muscles a few times only by making a very abrupt head twitch to look behind... it happened in seconds.. What I mean is please don't blame yourself, you had no idea some exercise would turn into an injury.
I am beginning to see what affects ppl, also can affect dogs. I have had 4 yorkies and never had this issue with any of them but, they were walked twice a day and week ends in the summer we camped so they always were exercised, and although they were all hunters and did hunt on week ends they were never overly excited and out for a kill like Cody is. I think because he was a city boy when he was with his prev. owner, now he lives in the country with smells he never smelled before, even the earth, leaves smell like prey to him. We're a team 6 years now, so he knows leaves and earth are not prey lol, but anything that moves he's on it. I will just have to be more careful now and not let him get to crazy, he is terrified caged up at the vet hearing dogs and cats carrying on out of fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsnaround View Post
Oh man sending prayers he gets to come home tonight And is feeling much better
Thank you for your well wishes.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #10
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

How is Cody doing? Is he still in the ER or home now? If so, is he getting up and down from a lying position normally or taking care how he gets up? Is he coughing or anything?

I just hate to hear this about Cody. Hope he feels better soon.

I've told ya'll this story before but with my Scotty, one day he wouldn't get up off the den floor and when I picked him up and put him back down on the floor, he just fell over! Would not move to get up just lay on his side and my mind went to the worst places! He was the total love of my life and now he couldn't even get up or stay up if I helped him!

Of course it was a Sunday and back then vets didn't do Sundays so I called his vet and he said he'd meet us at his office. In the car, Scotty sat up normally in his car seat, looked about and when I placed him on the vet exam table, he stood there, excited by all the sounds, sights and scents of the vet's office! Vet comes in and Scotty stands up to reach his chin to kiss him!!!!!!! I could have died from relief and not a small amount of shame. Vet gave him the once over, neuro, ortho, back films including lungs(he was so small his entire body fit on that film), HENT, abdomen, etc., all of it, said what he was finding was a good deal of intestinal gas, that likely he was having sharp gas pains, maybe due to constipation and to take him home, give him some laxative if his bowels didn't move that day, which, of course, just as soon as I let him outside back home, they did. He was himself from the moment I put him on the vet exam table until he died years later! Talk about a combination of total exhilaration and joy and shamefacedness for calling the vet out on a Sunday for our huge 'emergency' but dang it, the little devil acted paralyzed in the house! Yet anytime he seemed out of sorts, it was immediately off to the vet with him.

Gas!!!!

Hope little Cody was just having a not uncommon Yorkie reaction to unusual pain, discomfort as little Scotty did that day and it's nothing serious.

Last edited by yorkietalkjilly; 08-25-2020 at 07:38 AM.
yorkietalkjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #11

Up-date....A different tech called 9PM last night, it's his neck and back. She said my vet gave him a chiropractic treatment, his back was out of alignment. So I said the morning tech said it was his neck and shoulders. This one says she doesn't know why I was told it was the shoulders, it's neck and back. This is not the first time I was given mixed reports. My vet wanted him kept overnight to keep him calm after the treatment, the tech said he can come home today. Now I have to wait for a call when I can pick him up as they have discharge hours. This tech said he will be sent home with anti-inflammatory meds and pain killer if he needs it. Thank you GOD it was only a sprain. They checked his teeth and no broken ones. He is 9 years old and has all his teeth, no teeth ever needed extraction when he had his dentals, this makes me very happy.
In all my responses I forgot to mention, Cody is not a wee lil boy, he is a teapot weighing in at 12 pounds, that is tiny to me compared to my beautiful Matese that weighed in at a sleek 17 pound girl.
I can't wait to get my boy home, I miss him so much and I know he is just terrified caged up. Now my concern is, when he sees me he'll go ballistic and possibly hurt his back, there will be no way to contain his excitement when he sees me, he is a mammas Velcro boy.
I want to thank everyone for your concern and well wishes.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #12
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Good news. With these little guys to get them to settle down, I usually place a small doggie blanket over their heads to get their attention, repeat over and over in a very matter-of-fact, quiet voice to "Relaaaaax" and hold them close, very close, in my arms with my chin over their heads in a huge, close hug until they do relax or they will go wild at greeting time. Just sit there in a vet chair, rocking them back and forth until they relax, let some of that adrenalin drain out of their system. Seems a bit draconian but is kinder than letting the wilder ones re-injure themselves or burst a stitch or any of the other things they can do when hyper.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #13
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
Up-date....A different tech called 9PM last night, it's his neck and back. She said my vet gave him a chiropractic treatment, his back was out of alignment. So I said the morning tech said it was his neck and shoulders. This one says she doesn't know why I was told it was the shoulders, it's neck and back. This is not the first time I was given mixed reports. My vet wanted him kept overnight to keep him calm after the treatment, the tech said he can come home today. Now I have to wait for a call when I can pick him up as they have discharge hours. This tech said he will be sent home with anti-inflammatory meds and pain killer if he needs it. Thank you GOD it was only a sprain. They checked his teeth and no broken ones. He is 9 years old and has all his teeth, no teeth ever needed extraction when he had his dentals, this makes me very happy.
In all my responses I forgot to mention, Cody is not a wee lil boy, he is a teapot weighing in at 12 pounds, that is tiny to me compared to my beautiful Matese that weighed in at a sleek 17 pound girl.
I can't wait to get my boy home, I miss him so much and I know he is just terrified caged up. Now my concern is, when he sees me he'll go ballistic and possibly hurt his back, there will be no way to contain his excitement when he sees me, he is a mammas Velcro boy.
I want to thank everyone for your concern and well wishes.
I had that fear with Callie after her knee surgery’s she got so excited to see me she would start trying to walk on the leg that got surgery to me. I ended up have to run to her and pick her up. I’m glad that he gets to go home today and rest where he is more comfortable and with his mama. I can’t imagine how awful the waiting has to be and not getting to talk to the actual Vet.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #14
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Be sure that the doggie blanket is one Cody's got his scent on or you rub it all over you, or use an unwashed piece of your clothing to place over him, help calm him as you hug him up so close to you, very calmly rock, speak soothingly to him until he settles before you try to put him in your car. A car ride always overhyped my Yorkies.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #15
YT 500 Club Member

I am so happy to hear that he will be home with his Mom today! Beau, our little poodle, injured his back when he was about 7. He healed very fast, but it continued to be prone to giving him trouble for the rest of his life. The good thing is that you learn to watch for the symptoms, and if we caught an attack coming on early, his vet would put him on his meds and he would go on with barely any break in activities.