Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers. |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
|02-26-2012, 02:07 PM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Surprise, AZ
Not sure what to do
So Jack's story is a long one. Basically a few years ago I found out that Jack probably has some sort of liver issues. According to one vet, his numbers were so high that we should rush him into surgery asap. I did not feel comfortable with this so I have been searching for answers for the last few years. That being said, I am not getting any. Every vet I have been to says he probably has shunts but they are internal and to not waste the money on more testing. But I am essentially watching my dog waste away. He is nothing but skin and bones and fur although the past two vets tell me he is pretty healthy considering he has some sort of liver issue. Now he has to be in a diaper 24/7 since he cannot control his bladder (when he pees it is small drips as he walks and hardly ever goes outside and has a "normal" pee). The diapers are causing him to get sores on the insides of his legs even though we change the liner all the time. I have put in a request for a follow up with the newest vet since I just noticed the sores today.
We just aren't sure what to do because this is not a quality of life I would want. He is alert but walks around hunched over with his tail between his legs all the time. We don't know if we should pursue testing even though multiple vets have told us not to waste our time and money, give him up for adoption to a Yorkie Rescue so he can find a home where someone would be home all the time to care for him (which I'm not sure what his chances are of ever getting adopted with health issues), or our final option is to put him down. He is only 4 years old. There is a place here in Arizona that performs scintigraphies. I have thought about bringing him here but the test is pretty costly. Any one have any suggestions? Please be honest. I know I have been steering away from putting him down because of selfish reasons and I want to make sure we have exhausted every alternative route before we cross that road. Thanks.
|02-27-2012, 05:57 AM||#2|
Donating YT 500 Club Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: At Home
All I can is, if this was one of mine I would have every test done to try and find out the problem.
Have they done the Bile Acid Tests on him yet?
This is so sad.
[SIZE="3"VICKI & ALLIE[/SIZE]
|02-27-2012, 06:06 AM||#3|
And Rylee Finnegan
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
What tests have been done? What diagnostic imaging has been done to determine that this is an internal, as opposed to an external, shunt? Does your pup have bladder stones? Ammonium urate stones are fairly common in dogs with LS. Stones can be extremely painful. LS dogs are also prone to UTIs. When was the last urinalysis done?
What food and supplements is he on?
Usually Yorkies have operable shunts or microvascular dysplasia which can usually be medically managed. If this is surgical, then it should be done. If it's a cost issue, then yes, a rescue is the best option. If it's something that isn't surgical or can't be managed any better or you don't want to go with a rescue, then yes, the kindest thing to is to end his suffering. However, if just an ultrasound has been done, there is no way I'd base such a serious decision solely on this. He needs an internal medicine specialist, preferrably one that can do scintography immediately.
Crystal, Ellie May (RIP), Rylee Finnegan, and Gracie Boo🐶
|02-27-2012, 12:19 PM||#4|
YT 2000 Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Etobicoke, ONtario, Canada
Blog Entries: 2
How many BAT tests and urinanalysis have been done?
But for the record, the appropriate testing should be done, to find out if this is an External Shunt issue, or something called MVD. MicroValular Disease, where the problem is internal to the liver, and must be manage through diet, and where appropriate meds.
Razzle and Dara. Our clan. RIP Karma Dec 24th 2004-July 14 2013 RIP Zoey Jun9 th 2008-May 12 2012. RIP Magic,Mar 26 2006July 1st 2018
|02-27-2012, 02:27 PM||#5|
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Sounds like Jack needs some testing and serious vetting.
Has he been checked for bladder stones? What testing has been done?
You mention money is a huge issue. If you cannot afford to care for him, please make some sort of decision for him. It sounds like he is suffering. Just so heartbreaking to read this.
There are rescues who would take him and try to help him. I just hope that he has not been left untreated for too long.