View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
myyorkieboys
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Not sure what to do

So Jack's story is a long one. Basically a few years ago I found out that Jack probably has some sort of liver issues. According to one vet, his numbers were so high that we should rush him into surgery asap. I did not feel comfortable with this so I have been searching for answers for the last few years. That being said, I am not getting any. Every vet I have been to says he probably has shunts but they are internal and to not waste the money on more testing. But I am essentially watching my dog waste away. He is nothing but skin and bones and fur although the past two vets tell me he is pretty healthy considering he has some sort of liver issue. Now he has to be in a diaper 24/7 since he cannot control his bladder (when he pees it is small drips as he walks and hardly ever goes outside and has a "normal" pee). The diapers are causing him to get sores on the insides of his legs even though we change the liner all the time. I have put in a request for a follow up with the newest vet since I just noticed the sores today.

We just aren't sure what to do because this is not a quality of life I would want. He is alert but walks around hunched over with his tail between his legs all the time. We don't know if we should pursue testing even though multiple vets have told us not to waste our time and money, give him up for adoption to a Yorkie Rescue so he can find a home where someone would be home all the time to care for him (which I'm not sure what his chances are of ever getting adopted with health issues), or our final option is to put him down. He is only 4 years old. There is a place here in Arizona that performs scintigraphies. I have thought about bringing him here but the test is pretty costly. Any one have any suggestions? Please be honest. I know I have been steering away from putting him down because of selfish reasons and I want to make sure we have exhausted every alternative route before we cross that road. Thanks.
myyorkieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!