YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > All Else > Our Yorkie Brothers & Sisters
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #91
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I just feed off reading all your Darla and Magic posts. She sounds absolutely lovely and your life and activities with her - and Magic and Razzle - sound like such fun - okay - and out and out work! But that's what having dogs is all about - giving them the best lives they can have and training and keeping them and their intelligent minds busy working, exercising, playing and cuddling even if we work ourselves down to the nub.

I wish I could get your posts on this thread on audio book and just lie back and listen! I've lots of audio books and love to just lie down, rest my neck and back and eyes and listen to anything I can about dogs. You need to put this in book form, too, one day down the road.
Awh thank you so much Jeanie. Gosh I wish you didn't live in Texas, it is just too far for us to go for a show. We hopefully go to Maryland Salisbury in NOv for the National Specialty. Well we will if I get the registration stuff sorted out.

I find out that CKC still does not recognize RKF as a registry, and that means a different process for registration. I am waiting on a call back from AKC to see if I can compete without AKC registration. AKC won't register dogs from Canada, unless they are registered with CKC first. And this is the merry-go-round we are on! But apparently I can show her in CKC and if she earns points under three different judges she can automatically be registered with CKC... sigh. THis is a rare breed and it is difficult very difficult to not only find a major here, but get another dog in the ring to compete with!! It costs $200 to register her the other way, that is wait your time when the registration committee of CKC is meeting and have her examined by the committee. Balderdash I say. Good lord, this breed is recognized by AKC and FCI and btw so is the RKF recognized by both these reputable registries!!!

I love my dogs, and yes it is work, but hey if you enjoy it, is it really work? Sometimes my joints are sore, so we drive to a park to go swimming. And no longer can I hike all day with my dogs, but I can do one or two hours with them. BUt that is life, you change and adjust.

I also take Dara in for 1/2 boarding where she can get real long walks along with obedience training and of course socialization. We do that 2x per week.

Maybe I can do some sort of recording thingie and post it to youtube so you can hear my voice speaking the words I type here?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 08-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #92
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

That all sounds so exciting and fun, Gail. I hope you can get her registered with AKC and enter in some American shows if that's your dream as I've no doubt you'll win big.

Oh, don't worry about the YouTube video as that would be so much trouble for you and I can read along online here but one day you really should do a book with a history of how you came to be interested in this rare breed, how you found and eventually got your beautiful girl with pictures and tips for training huge dogs and every detail you'd care to share. I'm certain doglovers would eat it up.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #93
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
That all sounds so exciting and fun, Gail. I hope you can get her registered with AKC and enter in some American shows if that's your dream as I've no doubt you'll win big.

Oh, don't worry about the YouTube video as that would be so much trouble for you and I can read along online here but one day you really should do a book with a history of how you came to be interested in this rare breed, how you found and eventually got your beautiful girl with pictures and tips for training huge dogs and every detail you'd care to share. I'm certain doglovers would eat it up.

This doglover definitely is loving reading and hearing your account of how Dara came to join your family, all of her antics growing up and the training you are doing with her. Most of all, it's a touching story about a love so dear, and I love reading about the close bond between dogs and the people who love them. Please continue to share about Dara and your hopes and dreams. She was such a beautiful baby and is turning into a gorgeous young lass.

I love how you chronicled Razzle's road to his Grand Championship and how you showed the beauty of his temperament and personality by showing the special life and activities you share. Razzle is a stunning little boy, but your video showed so much more than his beauty. I feel reading about Dara is also very exciting only it's documenting her life and training from the very beginning. You offer so much wisdom about living with, training, and caring for dogs who steal our hearts away. Your writing is evocative, refreshing, and informative. Thank you for sharing Dara's story with us.

Ashley 6/10, Gracie 2/04, Kiwi 10/03, and Jolie 7/93 .
lisaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #94
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default Another groom day for Dara

Well she went to the pro groomer today, and she looks okay, well better than okay, but the groomer could only do so much today, so I am bringing her back for her second show groom in 2 weeks.

Show grooming is $390 a pop. Psst do I hear any gasps She has scissor marks on her, and I know she does not stand still on the grooming table, so is a handful to work with. I need to work more with her on this. She stands okay for me, when I blow dry her and brush her out. But maybe I should work with the sound of scissoring more and have her stand still.

I do admit to being a little underwhelmed with the scissor work of this groomer. I had at my own cost, a former BRT groomer come into Toronto, to give this groomer practical tips and lines for the BRT, but it is hard because I am not seeing it translated into the finished show groom, as of yet.
I will take some pics tonight or tomorrow am, before we go swimming

She is getting some sun damage to her coat, and I will need to do my magic washing to correct a "brownish" cast that is coming into her coat. I also have some sun screen for dogs, that I must remember to slather her with before the hike.

We will need to work with her weekly to remove undercoat, she is going to have a whole lot of coat. Unfortunately the Plush Show coat, and I so wanted the older working coat.....

I also need to do more hill climbing with her. Need to tone up her muscles more. Swimming basically gives long lean muscles, and until she can go some distance on the swimming, swimming needs to be matched with some other work.

I am going to take my Calavetti equipment with me, and do some trot training at the park - prior to the reward of fun swims! Of course the show training as well. We will video tape us, to see if I can extend her into her best show gait.

Also will oil her coat down, before the water work, as her hair is drying out. That nutrient masque worked a trick on her hair fall, but oh my, it is so expensive. Awh well she is worth it!

This is the time to do deep conditioning treatments, before I show her. I did the same with RazzMan. I also am feeding her more coconut oil, and have upped the organ meat in her diet.

I am going to try some of Razzman's left over conditioning treatments on her coat, and see how her coat responds.

Right now she has a mixed puppy coat - the dreaded in-between stage And like the healthy dog that she is, she is growing coat like a wild thing!

We are preparing for our first "fun" sanction conformation match on Sept 13th. Gasp 11 days from now! I also have to find my *show attire*, and my show shoes and practice in those shoes. Need to try out different bait for the show ring, and see what she adores!

So in a nutshell the life of a show and working dog breeder. Coat care, prime food, grooming, training, and of course the FuN Times with your pup!

Oh yes Sept 28 I take Razzman in for a temperament test Jolly fun, my breeder Ilona, laughed, and I said Hey Ilona if he passes, he could be the first YT ever temperament tested.. LOL LOL LOL For those that don't know this is a working dog Title, not a toy breed title But nothing can stop a YT!
Old 09-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #95
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Getting prepared for the National Specialty in the USA - Md Maryland. It is possible we have the Cdn handler I want, she is seriously considering going down for it

Dara did well hill climbing yesterday, although she was a bit un-certain with the views from on top

How-ever she liked chasing her ball up-hill, and playing with the boys. Her coat is starting to gleam, thank goodness, as I was worried, that dull cast would last for ages!

It is time to up her food as she is a little too lean, and she is licking her bowl a lot!
Old 09-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #96
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Getting prepared for the National Specialty in the USA - Md Maryland. It is possible we have the Cdn handler I want, she is seriously considering going down for it

Dara did well hill climbing yesterday, although she was a bit un-certain with the views from on top

How-ever she liked chasing her ball up-hill, and playing with the boys. Her coat is starting to gleam, thank goodness, as I was worried, that dull cast would last for ages!

It is time to up her food as she is a little too lean, and she is licking her bowl a lot!
I'm so enjoying keeping up with and pulling for you and Dara!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #97
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

We did well in the sanction match. Dara was great well actually too great with the judge. Decided she really liked him, and jumped up Oops she was corrected immediately. She tucked her tail when her privates were examined, and decided she wanted to gallop on the go around

Whooo Hah. Puppy antics new to the show ring! Judge was very complimentary but said she needs more training! Dah yah think..lol lol

Sunday we went to the show, just to walk around, have her meet more folks, and for me, to approach two pro handlers for her showing here in Canada. Yup both have agreed to handle her. They liked her a lot. Believe you me, they ran their hands all over her, and briefly they do everything quickly got to see she was very toy motivated. I said to both, you know she is a sweetie, soft gal, not like Magic; both handlers said Oh I remember Magic. lol lol lol.

So hopefully soon, we get her out and about!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #98
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default I am so Pee'd off

I will try to make this short. Round about Aug 27th I went to the CKC, to register my imported BRT, I was quite clearly told, I could show her in CKC events and if she earned points under three different judges, then I could register her the regular way, otherwise it was $200 fee and I would have to wait until the REgistration committee sat sic convened a meeting and bring her in for evaluation by this committee.

So I arrange handlers, and try to enter her today for a CKC show. My entry goes nowhere. So I call the entry line, and they say, well you can't register a dog for a show that is in the Miscellaneous Class without a CKC registration number.

My cup runneth over So now I go again to the CKC tomorrow, with flames under my feet, to advise them of this situation, and try to kindly inquire if I was given mis-information, and if not, why do the Superintendents for Dog Shows not have the correct information.

My Rant is Over!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #99
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default A wail into the Wilderness

Alright I am relatively calm now, the entryline knew more about CKC policy and procedures than the two gals of Aug 27th purportedly from the CKC;s registration desk.

So it is official I can't show Dara. I need to wait until the committee meets Oct 25/26 for them to approve the application and then it takes 2 weeks to process the paperwork And yet again my smilies don't work ... Double Wails!

I have now written the CHair of the Registration Committee, the Executive Director of the CKC, and the CEO. Silent I am not. And wait to they sit across from me on Breed Recognition!!!!!!!!! I also may join there bloody audit committee, because their financial controls sure do need a bit of sprucing up! Don't get a CGA of Irish/French background riled up....

Listen up. So I tell my story to this new person that comes out to see me, and she listens, then she comes back in ( I wait and wait and wait for her return) like Moses on the hill, awaiting the word of God, and she says well you do need to go to the registration committee for this dog. The two girls you spoke with did not know the procedure.
I said great I have just wasted 3 wks of my time!! She said No; not wasted after all the Registration Committee meets Oct and your application can be presented then. Oh I said really? No waste, what about her training, the hiring of her handler, the grooming for shows, the boarding of her for training. And just exactly when would I have known I had made a mistake? Only when I entered or tried to enter a show.

She said it is in our Bylaws, I said show me. So she leafs through the bylaws, and shows me two pages, little does she know I can scan read very very fast. I said here there is nothing about Listed dog restriction on entering shows.
I give it back and say LOOK. She stuttered and said well it is there somewhere! I smile and say, when you have time send me the referenced article / section. There is no such section........ IDIOT (not said but thought)

Well it is what it is. A bollock for sure.... thumb down thumb down

There go visions in my head of my lovely Dara winning Best Puppy in Show at the Purina Nationals......
Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #100
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default Here is the letter I sent to the ED

Dear Mr Novak;

On Aug 27th 2014, I dropped into the CKC, to speak with the Registration Department as I wanted to make sure I had filled out the form correctly.
At that time I spoke with two of your employees who said that they were of that area, and looked over my file and form. There were two things I was told very clearly namely that I did need the Implantation Date for my dogs' microchip, and also that I could show her in CKC shows without a Misc CKC number! I said great, but when does the Registration Committee meet? They were not sure. As I only needed points earned under three different judges, I decided to invest the time and money preparing her for show, hiring a handler, boarding her for show training et al. There is as you are well aware a large show up-coming; namely the Purina National where there is sure to be some competition for my Rare Breed the Black Russian Terrier. Oh and today she is at the pro-groomer for the show I was to enter but could not yesterday! Do you know how much a show groomer charges for a BRT show groom ... $400! I am now out of pocket $400 as she can't go to the show she was being trained for and groomed for.

Imagine my surprise when I tried to enter her yesterday(Sept 16) with the Entry Line, and I was told I could not enter her as she was in the Misc Class and needed a CKC number.

So now I return today to the CKC, and after some wait meet with an Anju Atwal a Data Coordinator. I go through the whole background story, and she tells me I have not "wasted" my time, as the Registration Committee meets in October. Now I wonder how I was a) supposed to know that? and b) had I not tried to enter my dog for an upcoming show, I would not have known this problem existed and would have missed out on the Oct meeting, and apparently this committee only meets once every four months!

It is very sad due to lack of clear knowledge from your staff and a Foreign Dog Registration Form that does not delineate when and how often a Registration Committee meets, I am going to have to miss the Purnia National event. Just another entry you won't be getting, and I likely won't enter my other two dogs as well! So that makes 3 less entries for your organization and that show.

Another matter to note, is that I was asked to write my Credit Card information on a sheet paper, and then apparently at some point in time Ms Atwal was uncertain "when" the payment would be processed. I pressed her on this and she said well 2 or maybe 3 days. I was very uncomfortable leaving this information on a sheet of paper destined for I "don't know where" it will reside and what if any security the CKC has to safeguard sensitive financial information. It is my understanding that credit card companies highly encourage that no customer information is kept outside of the credit card system. I have no idea why you don't have a cashier process the payments of the walk-in members or public..

I ask that you review this situation and try to insure that there are no more mess ups with my application, that my credit card information is safely and securely stored until use, and then securely destroyed.

Quite frankly I feel that an apology is due here. I went out of my way to insure I was doing things correctly and properly and was steered wrong. Your error has proved costly to me and ultimately to your organization.

Sincerely Gail E McLarnon and David Cybak CKC member and breeder in good standing
Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #101
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default NOW for Plan B

I shall see in my Prohandler here in Canada will be willing to take her in for a week prior to Nationals to train her for the showring. Awaiting a response as I type this.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #102
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Oh, Gail, how totally and maddeningly frustrating!!! When you set your heart on something, work hard, plan and re-plan everything out and pay good money toward something, only to be met with a blank wall due to being woefully misled by various staff members of the CKC, it is normal to get your dander up and feel ill-served by that organization! (And then to have no smilies on top of that has got to rub salt in the wounds! jk)

Seriously though, you would think the CKC would have all of their bylaws for all routine contingencies, including showing an imported puppy, on their website, down in B&W, for all potential show handlers and owners to read and understand. It shouldn't be written in legalese either but in clear, concise, easily understandable language.

Is an imported dog all that unusual these days? You would think that situation would be fairly routinely dealt with for dog shows and the governing kennel clubs would fully educate their staff and require them to know the rules or verbally recuse themselves from trying to answer questions about rules and subjects they aren't familiar with. I would name names to the CKC regarding the two employees who misinformed you so that they can educate them on how to better handle questions about CKC rules.

And that cavalier treatment of your credit card number sitting in some office for days until getting around to processing the charge is troubling, too. Here is hoping that they can get their act together to better serve their public and avoid so much needless frustration, hassle and money spent.

Getting your complaint down officially in writing and following up is the right thing to do and hopefully they will extend themselves to get things corrected for everyone and find a way to appease you in some way. Their sloppiness and lack of attention to detail has caused you trouble and anguish and money and one would think they would hope to try to help you in any way they can.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #103
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
I shall see in my Prohandler here in Canada will be willing to take her in for a week prior to Nationals to train her for the showring. Awaiting a response as I type this.
Here's hoping!!!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #104
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default Market Day! Dara out and about

First her grooming is very lovely. What a pretty girl she is turning into.

She did super again at the market, but we went later so it wasn't as crowded and she didn't see any kids this time ,, disappointed. As usual hubby with her, ended up 20 yrds behind me, and I got to carry all the bags!

I can't wait until next summer, when I can put a backpack on her, and load up the pockets with the fresh veggies! Gotta earn your keep :-)

Many compliments again, and she behaved very well indeed. Black Diamonds in the sun! Loved her coat after grooming.

After all the shopping went to four different stores/markets, and some walk abouts, Moms is sitting down relaxing, and getting ready for the cooking time.

All the pups are in the kitchen, as food is around, meat is on the counter marinating, cheese has been grated, and garlic sliced.
I will try to take some pics tonight.....
Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #105
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Oh, Gail, how totally and maddeningly frustrating!!! When you set your heart on something, work hard, plan and re-plan everything out and pay good money toward something, only to be met with a blank wall due to being woefully misled by various staff members of the CKC, it is normal to get your dander up and feel ill-served by that organization! (And then to have no smilies on top of that has got to rub salt in the wounds! jk)

Seriously though, you would think the CKC would have all of their bylaws for all routine contingencies, including showing an imported puppy, on their website, down in B&W, for all potential show handlers and owners to read and understand. It shouldn't be written in legalese either but in clear, concise, easily understandable language.

Is an imported dog all that unusual these days? You would think that situation would be fairly routinely dealt with for dog shows and the governing kennel clubs would fully educate their staff and require them to know the rules or verbally recuse themselves from trying to answer questions about rules and subjects they aren't familiar with. I would name names to the CKC regarding the two employees who misinformed you so that they can educate them on how to better handle questions about CKC rules.

And that cavalier treatment of your credit card number sitting in some office for days until getting around to processing the charge is troubling, too. Here is hoping that they can get their act together to better serve their public and avoid so much needless frustration, hassle and money spent.

Getting your complaint down officially in writing and following up is the right thing to do and hopefully they will extend themselves to get things corrected for everyone and find a way to appease you in some way. Their sloppiness and lack of attention to detail has caused you trouble and anguish and money and one would think they would hope to try to help you in any way they can.

Sorry Jeanie, I have been so upset it is only now I have seen your wonderfull response.

To answer some of your questions: No imported dogs come in here all the time!
But the problem appears to stem from the breeds which are NOT fully recognized by the CKC (these breeds sit on the Misc Class list), they are not able to go earn points under three different judges and you can go the normal registration route. No-where on their website can a member inquire into this topic and find either a bylaw, policy, or procedure which speaks to this!

AKC fully recognizes BRT's but the CKC doesn't. A matter which I have been asked to work on, as the CKC in their infinite wisdom has decided to go ahead with several breeds to move them forward to full recognition.

Sorry my answer was so detailed, but hey there it is.