YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
YT Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 263
Default Homemade CarSeats

Hi all! I thought I'd show off my homemade car seats. I made them out of a rubbermaid container, eggcrate bed padding and pillows. The pups did great on their long drive from SC to our new home in OH. It was about 10 hours. Buckeye (Boston) was a little too heavy for his flimsy hook and the fabric broke. So he wasn't hooked in for about half of the way. It was great though. Tank slept the whole way and Buckeye just looked out the window taking in all the sites.
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade CarSeats-buckeye-we-there-yet.jpg   Homemade CarSeats-buckeye-display.jpg   Homemade CarSeats-tank-carseat-display.gif.jpg   Homemade CarSeats-tank-we-there-yet.jpg  
__________________
Leah, mom to Tank the Yorkie & Buckeye the Boston
www.dlparr.com
prncssleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 01-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
♥Love My Puppies!♥
Donating Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 5,786
Default

That is so clever!!!
__________________
RIP My Sweet Darling Angel Daisy 08/09/03 - 10/02/15, RIP My Sweet Baby Boy Teddy Bear 02/01/04 - 02/11/16
Photos HERE
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member
Moderator
 
Jenn218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: cuddling with my babies<3
Posts: 17,329
Default

Cool! I looked for a rubbermaid (well, any plastic container) that I thought would fit my SUV console - in the hopes of making my own - but couldn't find one. I will look again though! Thanks for sharing!
__________________
Hi I'm Jenn Mom to.....
Mojo,LilyGrace & DD Kate
RIP Mojo FOREVER in our hearts!
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Daisy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LaLa Land
Posts: 967
Default

Thats a very good idea. I'm going to have to try it But I do have a question, does it sit high enough for them to look out the window? Did you just add more pillows to sit them up higher?
__________________
Dana, Daisy & Jersey
Daisy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
My2Pearls Chelsey & Chanel
YT Donator
 
Chelsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: N
Posts: 4,097
Default

That is such a great idea! I need to try that.
Chelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Tiny Dog Big Heart
Donating Member
 
Little Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,205
Default

Very nice!

Please share how you rigged the strapping to secure them in the seat.
__________________
Little Bit
Little Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
and Bernie's mom too!"
Donating Member
 
Gingergirlsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bit
Very nice!

Please share how you rigged the strapping to secure them in the seat.
Ditto! I'm very impressed and want to give this a try, but

1. How did you secure the dog to the carseat
2. How did you secure the car seat to the car???
__________________

Ginger Bernie Fun Kitty
Gingergirlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
Tiny Dog Big Heart
Donating Member
 
Little Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn218
Cool! I looked for a rubbermaid (well, any plastic container) that I thought would fit my SUV console - in the hopes of making my own - but couldn't find one. I will look again though! Thanks for sharing!

I have one that I got on clearance at Penney's and my furkids love it! I only take one at a time in it, of course.
__________________
Little Bit
Little Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Daisy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LaLa Land
Posts: 967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingergirlsmom
Ditto! I'm very impressed and want to give this a try, but

1. How did you secure the dog to the carseat
2. How did you secure the car seat to the car???
Yes I would like to know this too.
__________________
Dana, Daisy & Jersey
Daisy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
YT Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 263
Default

SOrry I haven't bee back on in a few days ot answer your questions. I was terribly sick But all better now!

I covered the container like you would wrap just the bottom of a box (you know so it looks wrapped but you can take the top off without taking off the paper). I used industrial strength velcroe to secure the fabric to the inside of the container. Then I cut a small slit on the back corners of the fabric. This wear I slipped the seatbelt through lke you would on a child's carseat. When I buckled it in I made sure it was secured to wear the seatbelt makes the clicky noise.

When I bought the boys retractable leashed they came with a nylon choke kind of collar (don't wory I've never used it on them). I looped it through two small slits I made in the back of the carseat and sewed it shut. I didn't sew Buckeye's very well which is why his broke. Anyway, I then used a small clasps that I attached to the leash and then to their harnesses.

As far as the height, I bought a rubbermaid tub that was deep enough that I could put 2 pillows in it. The 2 pillows elevated them to about the height of what the store bought car seats claim. In my hubbys trailblazer it was plenty high, but in my Audi they are a little low still.

Well, that's that...if you have any other questions let me know. I had fun making them. Just be sure that if you try this you buy a heavy fabric for the cover that it will hold the short leash. I'm sure you could make a better cover by sewing and all that but I'm a terrible seamstress so I just sewed enough to hold them in and cheated on the rest.
__________________
Leah, mom to Tank the Yorkie & Buckeye the Boston
www.dlparr.com
prncssleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
Tiny Dog Big Heart
Donating Member
 
Little Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncssleah View Post
SOrry I haven't bee back on in a few days ot answer your questions. I was terribly sick But all better now!

I covered the container like you would wrap just the bottom of a box (you know so it looks wrapped but you can take the top off without taking off the paper). I used industrial strength velcroe to secure the fabric to the inside of the container. Then I cut a small slit on the back corners of the fabric. This wear I slipped the seatbelt through lke you would on a child's carseat. When I buckled it in I made sure it was secured to wear the seatbelt makes the clicky noise.

When I bought the boys retractable leashed they came with a nylon choke kind of collar (don't wory I've never used it on them). I looped it through two small slits I made in the back of the carseat and sewed it shut. I didn't sew Buckeye's very well which is why his broke. Anyway, I then used a small clasps that I attached to the leash and then to their harnesses.

As far as the height, I bought a rubbermaid tub that was deep enough that I could put 2 pillows in it. The 2 pillows elevated them to about the height of what the store bought car seats claim. In my hubbys trailblazer it was plenty high, but in my Audi they are a little low still.

Well, that's that...if you have any other questions let me know. I had fun making them. Just be sure that if you try this you buy a heavy fabric for the cover that it will hold the short leash. I'm sure you could make a better cover by sewing and all that but I'm a terrible seamstress so I just sewed enough to hold them in and cheated on the rest.


I was wondering if it wouldn't be more secure if the seatbelt went through the holes in the rubbermaid container rather than the fabric. Also I think I would make button holes for the leashes to go through the fabric and then attach then to the rubbermaid container as well, especially with the boston as it is heavier. Would that be doable?

Nancy
__________________
Little Bit
Little Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
YT Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bit View Post
I was wondering if it wouldn't be more secure if the seatbelt went through the holes in the rubbermaid container rather than the fabric. Also I think I would make button holes for the leashes to go through the fabric and then attach then to the rubbermaid container as well, especially with the boston as it is heavier. Would that be doable?

Nancy
I tried to make the holes in the container but it cracked the whole side so I had to start over. Button holes are essentially what I made and they held really well to Tank (6lb). I think a heavier fabric would have helped with Buckeye but he's over 20lbs so who knows. If you can figure out a way to put holes in the container without splitting it let me know!!
__________________
Leah, mom to Tank the Yorkie & Buckeye the Boston
www.dlparr.com
prncssleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #13
Tiny Dog Big Heart
Donating Member
 
Little Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncssleah View Post
I tried to make the holes in the container but it cracked the whole side so I had to start over. Button holes are essentially what I made and they held really well to Tank (6lb). I think a heavier fabric would have helped with Buckeye but he's over 20lbs so who knows. If you can figure out a way to put holes in the container without splitting it let me know!!
If you are using a laundry type basket that already has holes molded in you could use webbing (like leash material) and make loops that are secured to the basket (threaded through the holes) near the bottom of the basket then thread the seat belt through the loops. That would work pretty well I think. Do it the same way through the button holes and make a slip knot type connection through the holes in the basket with a grooming noose and then you have a leash that is secured to the basket and you can clip it onto the dog's harness.
__________________
Little Bit
Little Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #14
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Janie Doyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio
Posts: 522
Default

How clever you are. Where is your new home in Ohio ?

I'm in Cincinnati.





Janie
__________________
Founder Cincinnati Yorkshire Terrior meetup.com
Member of www.ytnr.com
Janie Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
YT Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bit View Post
If you are using a laundry type basket that already has holes molded in you could use webbing (like leash material) and make loops that are secured to the basket (threaded through the holes) near the bottom of the basket then thread the seat belt through the loops. That would work pretty well I think. Do it the same way through the button holes and make a slip knot type connection through the holes in the basket with a grooming noose and then you have a leash that is secured to the basket and you can clip it onto the dog's harness.
I thought about that too but I couldn't find one that gave me the same depth as the rubbermaid container to allow for the stacking of 2 pillows and still have a decent amount of ledge above the pillows to give the pups more support in the seat. I wanted it to be something where I built up the height from the inside instead of the outside.
__________________
Leah, mom to Tank the Yorkie & Buckeye the Boston
www.dlparr.com
prncssleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2018 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159