View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
Little Bit
Tiny Dog Big Heart
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncssleah View Post
SOrry I haven't bee back on in a few days ot answer your questions. I was terribly sick But all better now!

I covered the container like you would wrap just the bottom of a box (you know so it looks wrapped but you can take the top off without taking off the paper). I used industrial strength velcroe to secure the fabric to the inside of the container. Then I cut a small slit on the back corners of the fabric. This wear I slipped the seatbelt through lke you would on a child's carseat. When I buckled it in I made sure it was secured to wear the seatbelt makes the clicky noise.

When I bought the boys retractable leashed they came with a nylon choke kind of collar (don't wory I've never used it on them). I looped it through two small slits I made in the back of the carseat and sewed it shut. I didn't sew Buckeye's very well which is why his broke. Anyway, I then used a small clasps that I attached to the leash and then to their harnesses.

As far as the height, I bought a rubbermaid tub that was deep enough that I could put 2 pillows in it. The 2 pillows elevated them to about the height of what the store bought car seats claim. In my hubbys trailblazer it was plenty high, but in my Audi they are a little low still.

Well, that's that...if you have any other questions let me know. I had fun making them. Just be sure that if you try this you buy a heavy fabric for the cover that it will hold the short leash. I'm sure you could make a better cover by sewing and all that but I'm a terrible seamstress so I just sewed enough to hold them in and cheated on the rest.

I was wondering if it wouldn't be more secure if the seatbelt went through the holes in the rubbermaid container rather than the fabric. Also I think I would make button holes for the leashes to go through the fabric and then attach then to the rubbermaid container as well, especially with the boston as it is heavier. Would that be doable?

Nancy
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!