YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
YT Addict

Question My husband and I have more questions

1. At what age do you first take your puppy to the groomers?
2. How often should a little dog take a bath?
3. Do I need to buy a baby bath? I was told to never place them in a kitchen sink
4. Does little dog uses different dog shampoo from bigger dogs?
5. At what age should I allow the little dog to eat an doggie snack?
6. What type of doggie snack would you recommend?
7. Where should the puppy sleep the first night?
8. Is pee pads worth the money?
9. I had heard that there was a toy that simulated the mother heartbeat
Do you know where to buy one?
10. Is it easy to housebreak a small dog?
I am sorry that I have so many questions, but I want to be sure that I am doing the right thing for my family and our new puppy.
Thank you for all your support and help,
Cathi
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Gizzy & Kandi spoil me
Donating Member

Animal Smiley 019 Welcome!

Hello and welcome to YorkieTalk!

First, try some searches using the key terms below. I can't answer all of your questions and on some of the other questions there are differing opinions. I will try to help as much as I can. Thanks for being such a caring yorkie mom.

1. At what age do you first take your puppy to the groomers? We waited until all of the puppy shots were finished. Some people learn to groom their pup themselves because they are uncomfortable with professional groomers.
2. How often should a little dog take a bath? Most people recommend about once a week.
3. Do I need to buy a baby bath? I was told to never place them in a kitchen sink We bath Gizmo in the sink sometimes, but we make sure there are two of us. It can be very dangerous if the pup tries to jump. Mostly, I take him in the shower with me. Do what you feel comfortable with.
4. Does little dog uses different dog shampoo from bigger dogs? Opinions differ on this. I have used different shampoos, but I use human conditioner.
5. At what age should I allow the little dog to eat an doggie snack? I started snacks right away as soon as we began training.
6. What type of doggie snack would you recommend? Yorkie Yummies or yogurt drops
7. Where should the puppy sleep the first night? In a playpen right beside my bed so I could reach out and comfort him
8. Is pee pads worth the money? My husband has trouble getting around sometimes, so Gizmo is pee pad trained. They can be pricey, but you can buy the washable kind. The washable kind are very economical
Do you know where to buy one? I have seen them online at Target.com (Comfort Pals?)
10. Is it easy to housebreak a small dog? I can be a challenge. Gizmo is now 99% trained and he is almost 8 months old. The best advice I have is to be consistent.

When is your new baby coming home? Boy or girl? Name? How old? Photos? LOL...can't wait to hear!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Senior Yorkie Talker

Hi, Cathi, I'll answer what little I know. I wish I knew the age of your puppy.

1. At what age do you first take your puppy to the groomers? I do my own grooming.
2. How often should a little dog take a bath? I bathe Noah once a week or more if he gets dirty.
3. Do I need to buy a baby bath? I was told to never place them in a kitchen sink I bathe Noah in the sink with a non slip mat. But be very careful.
4. Does little dog uses different dog shampoo from bigger dogs? I use baby shampoo on Noah's face, Pantene ice shine shampoo and conditioner. If your baby is very young ask your breeder what they used.
5. At what age should I allow the little dog to eat an doggie snack? Soon as they can chew solid food.
6. What type of doggie snack would you recommend? Mini Natural Zukes
7. Where should the puppy sleep the first night? Depends if you want your puppy to sleep with you all the time. I started mine off in a crate and covered it up at bedtime. Now Noah sleeps with me.
8. Is pee pads worth the money? They are to me!!
Do you know where to buy one? Don't know about that one
10. Is it easy to housebreak a small dog? Yorkies are kinda hard to housebreak....lol
I am sorry that I have so many questions, but I want to be sure that I am doing the right thing for my family and our new puppy.
Thank you for all your support and help,.....ask all the questions you need that is part of what YT is for.

Pepper
pepper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Gizzy & Kandi spoil me
Donating Member

The bathing question...I wanted to add that I also use tearless baby shampoo for his face. I also wipe his private areas several times a day.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
YT Addict

Sun Answer to your questions

We are getting a little boy, right now he is 4 weeks old and we will pick him up on the 21st of November. I should let you know that he is a yorkie mixed.
He mother is mini doxie and father is yorkie mixed. We have named him Salvador Dali(Dolly). I know that it is unusual but I get tired of hearing people named their pet Butch and Cici.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
hha
No Longer a Member

1. At what age do you first take your puppy to the groomers? I just took mine for the first time the other day at 14 1/2 weeks.
2. How often should a little dog take a bath? The less the better for them..otherwise you wash out their natural oils
3. Do I need to buy a baby bath? I was told to never place them in a kitchen sink..never heard that, but you could use the tub
4. Does little dog uses different dog shampoo from bigger dogs? Use puppy shampoo(no tear)
5. At what age should I allow the little dog to eat an doggie snack? I gave mine early, and they get pupperonis broke in half
8. Is pee pads worth the money? YES..drsfostersmith xtra are the best, and I've been using pads for years now
9. I had heard that there was a toy that simulated the mother heartbeat..don't know on that, you could use an alarm clock, or what worked good for mine was a stuff animal.
10. Is it easy to housebreak a small dog? depends on the dog..some are more stubborn
Thank you for all your support and help,
Cathi
hha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
Just Pawz
Donating Member

1. At what age do you first take your puppy to the groomers? I do the grooming myself, if your going to be taking yours to a groomer I would wait until he has all his shots and then get them in and used to it asap

2. How often should a little dog take a bath? I do once a week, Bella get's oily and I would like to do it every 4 days or so but don't have the time.

3. Do I need to buy a baby bath? I was told to never place them in a kitchen sink I use the sink and it works just fine for us

4. Does little dog uses different dog shampoo from bigger dogs? We use tearless baby shampoo on her face and then an oatmeal dog shampoo followed by a conditioner.

5. At what age should I allow the little dog to eat an doggie snack? Right off the get go

6. What type of doggie snack would you recommend? For training its best to use something that is tiny and easily chewable IMO, I also like to use cherrios

7. Where should the puppy sleep the first night? We did a crate, now she sleeps in her ex-pen which will be moving to our room tonight because the kitchen is getting cold at night

8. Is pee pads worth the money? Absolutely

Do you know where to buy one? No, but I have heard of them

10. Is it easy to housebreak a small dog? Bella is my first small breed and my answer to this is no, she does go on her pee pads very regularly when she is in her ex pen but get her out of that small area and she goes where ever and whenever

oopsmyhalofello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
YT Addict

1. At what age do you first take your puppy to the groomers? After all shots are given. So, around 4 months, they usually dont do a lot on their first trip their.
2. How often should a little dog take a bath?[COLOR="Purple"] I bathe Louis twice a month. Evry two weeks. By the sixth week I take him to the groomers.
3. Do I need to buy a baby bath? I was told to never place them in a kitchen sink.[COLOR="Purple"] I put Louis in the kitchen sink. I've had no problems. Louis isn't teeny though.
4. Does little dog uses different dog shampoo from bigger dogs? [COLOR="Purple"] I love Mink Sheen shampoo for dogs. It leaves his hair soft and also works as a conditioner and flea repellant.
5. At what age should I allow the little dog to eat an doggie snack?[COLOR="Purple"] We started on snacks early. But realized too many snacks can upset their stomach or ruin their appetite. So only twice a day in between meals.
6. What type of doggie snack would you recommend? Liver treats Dr.Becker's.
7. Where should the puppy sleep the first night?[COLOR="Purple"] In his crate, next to the bed.
8. Is pee pads worth the money?[COLOR="Purple"] Yes. DO NOT put pee-pads in their crate, they will get confused and wait till they are out of their crate and pee everywhere.
Do you know where to buy one?[COLOR="Purple"] I've seen those at the mall, and target.
10. Is it easy to housebreak a small dog?[COLOR="Purple"] Yes. Be consistant and more stubborn than them. After he ate we would put him on his pad and once he went we praised the heck out of him. It was easy for us. A few hiccups every now and then, but nothing overwhelming.

[COLOR="Purple"] Hope that helps. Welcome to Yorkietalk!!!!!!!

Last edited by LouisLove; 11-10-2007 at 09:35 AM.
LouisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Senior Yorkie Talker

A) Call and visit a few groomers to find one you like and see what they reccomend. My groomer had us bring our baby in every 2 weeks for 'grooming training'. One session was fo rth full enchilada, cost $30, (and important to keep the ear hair trimmed to help their ears standup), the other session was just for bath and blow dry. They charge us $10 for this.

A) About twice a month, so you don't mess up their natural PH balance, or as needed if they get into a mess.

3. Do I need to buy a baby bath? I was told to never place them in a kitchen sink.
A) We put a towel down in the bathtub, or rubber bathmat. We have a hand held shower. But this is a back breaker. Recently, we bought a hand held hose at Pet Supplies Plus that we attached to our laundry tub. It worked beautifully. It was $30 bucks, but after one use, I think it is worth it.

A) We have always used Johnson's no more tears on our yorkies faces, and pantene on their bodies.

6. What type of doggie snack would you recommend?A) We used snacks at 8 weeks. Zuke's, Yorkie Yummies (from a YTer) and Lil' Bits.

A) We had ours sleep in a little Sherpa Bag, all closed up, next to our bed. We substituted the sheep blanket that comes with it for a round little sheep bed with a bolster around it. She still LOVES it at 7 months old. She no longer sleeps in it at night, unless she wants to, but throughout the day she will go inside for a nap. She also gets transported in it when Grandma comes to get her for doggy daycare at Gramma's. The fact that she loves her Sherpa bag is a bonus for us because we plan on travelling internationally with her.

A)We don't really use them, although we keep one down when we put her in her pen. She goes outside. Rarely has used one.

A) Easy-LOL! Our girl did very well with potty training outside. But you need to take her out every hour and give LOTS and LOTS ofpraise and a yummy treat on the spot (no pun intended!) We took her out first and last thing. Now we use the jingle bells next to the door. She has learned that if she rings them, I will let her out. Keep them in an X-pen when you are busy or away. Pet Supplies Plus has a nice white one, it is $30 and is called a small animal pen. If thye don't keep it instock at the store, theywill order itin and it comes in a few days. I bought one to keep at Grandma's as well. She has never minded being in her pen. We put a bed, potty pad, food and water bowls and toys in it with her. Restrict her mobility while she is being potty trained. Good Luck!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Just Pawz
Donating Member

Thought I would add something additional as well. Be prepared to do some sanitary cleaning in between baths as well. I keep Bella's back end trimmed up but she still get's dingleberries (lack of a better term sorry) and I have to get them off her hair.

oopsmyhalofello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
Senior Yorkie Talker

My tip for when you are homegrooming, which came from my groomer is;

put down one of thos rubber shelf liners when grooming.

Your dog will learn to respect the mat and accept grooming time.

At first, when you groom at home, it will seem like you are combing a possessed, rabid devil. Little by little, they will learn to accept it-as long as you keep up with the practice of it. By 6 months old, if you practice getting them used to the comb going through thier hair, body, they will be much easier to groom.

Same with teeth brushing. I use a toothbrush from the baby department.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartslucy View Post
At first, when you groom at home, it will seem like you are combing a possessed, rabid devil.
When did you try to groom my Susanah? LOL

A) Call around. Most groomers won't take them until they have their rabies shots - around 4 - 6 months.

A) I'd like to bathe Susanah every other week, but she's a little tomboy and usually ends up getting a bath about once a week

3. Do I need to buy a baby bath? I was told to never place them in a kitchen sink.
A) I bathed Susanah in the sink when she was younger. I made my hubby stand right there ready to catch her if she tried to bolt. Now I bathe her in the tub.

A) I use Johnson's baby shampoo on her face and Pantene on her body.

A) As soon as you bring him home and start training

A)Susanah loves yogurt drops, we also use Nature's Recipe training treats (available at Petsmart)

A) I attempted to have Susanah sleep in her stroller. She cried. I'm a wimp. She started sleeping with me.

A)Yes

A) our Pets Supplies Plus had something like this. You could also buy one of the bears out of the baby department of Wal-Mart or Target

A) I would say no. I say that because my Susanah STILL is not housetrained, however that is more my fault than hers.

Good luck with your little one! I can't wait to see pictures.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #13
YT Addict

You are getting great answers but i wanted to add something you could try for potty training that seems to work for smaller dogs --- bell training!
We have a tiny wind chime tied with yarn hangin on our back door. We started with ringing it every time we took Ollie outside to potty.(actually ringing it with Ollie's body parts) We quietly took the chime with us and as soon as he went potty we made a huge deal out of it and rang the chime outside. Four days later he started ringing his bell to let as know when he needed to go out. Sometimes it is more difficult for a smaller dog to find a way to let you know when they need to potty--this works great for us. You can use bells also. But of course he still had accidents.

Ollie started sleeping in his crate next to our bed and he cried a bit but i talked to him softly and he would eventually fall to sleep. He loves his crate so much now with all his blankies. We did move him to sleeping with us but waited till he was about 5 1/2 months old because he tossed and turned a bunch and we feared he would fall out. Now he seems to sense the edge of the bed.

good luck and have fun!
marycrank83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #14
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

1. At what age do you first take your puppy to the groomers? Layla went around 5 months but she no longer goes. I groom at home because they kept her there for hours, she would come home shaking and insisted that i carry her around for 2 days afterwards. not sure what twent on there but make sure you check out your groomers before you leave your pup there. If you need info on home grooming lots of us on here do it!!
2. How often should a little dog take a bath? Layla gest a bath about once a week.. i try and go longer in the winter because her skin gets so dry
3. Do I need to buy a baby bath? I was told to never place them in a kitchen sink Layla goes right in the kitchen sink. But at our house it is a two person job
4. Does little dog uses different dog shampoo from bigger dogs? I have always read that you should use shampoo just for dogs, not people shampoo, but i know that many swear by people shampoo. When Layla was a pup i used tear free puppy shampoo because she was so squirmy
5. At what age should I allow the little dog to eat an doggie snack? As long as they are healthy and not just "given" (make him sit or stay or down before you give a treat) you can give them as young as you want!
6. What type of doggie snack would you recommend? I recommend Yorkie Yummies (chattiesmom) on here makes them, anythgin 100% natural is great, yogurt drops, anything by Wellness
7. Where should the puppy sleep the first night? Layla has been in a crate since day 1 and now she is 18 months and still loves to go in there at night... we highly suggest crate training at night.. small crate.. just enough room to lay down.. and then as he gets older and more trusting you can give him more room
8. Is pee pads worth the money? we don't use them
10. Is it easy to housebreak a small dog?small dogs are very tough.. i'm sure you will hear it over and over again but it is all about being consistent... go out after every meal, nap, play time.... use a key workd like hurry up... and PRAISE like it is new years eve when he does something
Old 11-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
Senior Yorkie Talker

Although I read about YT members not caring for groomers for various reasons,

we have a 12 year relationship with our groomer, Dogs Bow Wow in Livonia MI.

They are wonderful.

We took our first girl there for 11 years (her whole life)
and now take our 7 month old puppy.

My sister also takes her labradoodle there.

Their clientele comes from as far away as Ohio. They have a very loyal following. The staff is awesome.

Our dog will stay from 1 1/2 hours to 4 hours.
It depends on how busy they are and how well the dog is doing. If they are getting ancy, they will put them back in the crate to give them a break.

Maybe grooming your dog yourself is for you,

if not,

look around for someone who has been in business a while and is reputable.