Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers. |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
|08-20-2009, 01:37 PM||#1|
Senior Yorkie Talker
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wesley Chapel, Florida
Need some breeding advice
My husband and I want to get a female companion for our male yorkie, our male yorkie is 1 year old and we would like to breed them to continue the line. I have done a ton of research, our dog is AKC registered. I just had a few questions,
1) I know a female should have her first litter between 1 1/2 to 3 years old, but after she has had her first litter, until what age is it safe for her to breed a litter
2) I know what age a male yorkie can start studding but is there an age when a male cannot stud anymore.
3) now my male puppy is 1 year old, and he weighs almost 5 lbs. should i try to get a companion for him that is about the same age or is it ok to get a female puppy, would he try to mount her if she was to young?
Don't you know never to let a vampire in your house!
Lestat Born June 10th 2008
|08-20-2009, 02:13 PM||#2|
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Join Date: Aug 2006
1. I do not breed mine after the age of 5.
2. Per AKC rules a male bred after the age of 11 the breeding must be witnessed by a Vet.
3. Absolutely he will attemp to mount her if she is in Season. It doesn't matter what age the female is he will attempt to mount her if she's in Season.
Obtaining a pedigreed/AKC registered female to breed from a reputable breeder is almost impossible.
Much studying to do to prepare yourself.....obtaining a breeding pair is only the first step.....they must be good representations of the breed and meeting the standard. Many tests to have performed on them prior to breeding.
Last edited by Mardelin; 08-20-2009 at 02:15 PM.
|08-20-2009, 06:29 PM||#3|
Donating YT 2000 Club Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Blog Entries: 2
Welcome to the forum. I see you are still relatively new and have many questions. I would do a lot of reading in the breeding section. Many of the posts here discuss what you are asking. There are many questions you may want to ask yourself, starting with is your boy championed? Why are you wanting to breed? You said you wanted to continue his line, is it about to be extinct? Does your boy meet the standard for a Yorkie? What do you want to improve? I hope you will continue to read and ask lots of questions, because you are first starting to do your research.....
Scrapindee--Team Furry & the Biewers