View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitriona View Post
My husband and I want to get a female companion for our male yorkie, our male yorkie is 1 year old and we would like to breed them to continue the line. I have done a ton of research, our dog is AKC registered. I just had a few questions,

1) I know a female should have her first litter between 1 1/2 to 3 years old, but after she has had her first litter, until what age is it safe for her to breed a litter

2) I know what age a male yorkie can start studding but is there an age when a male cannot stud anymore.

3) now my male puppy is 1 year old, and he weighs almost 5 lbs. should i try to get a companion for him that is about the same age or is it ok to get a female puppy, would he try to mount her if she was to young?
Which line are you attempting to continue? Is your boy line bred, does he come from a good pedigree?

1. I do not breed mine after the age of 5.
2. Per AKC rules a male bred after the age of 11 the breeding must be witnessed by a Vet.

3. Absolutely he will attemp to mount her if she is in Season. It doesn't matter what age the female is he will attempt to mount her if she's in Season.

Obtaining a pedigreed/AKC registered female to breed from a reputable breeder is almost impossible.

Much studying to do to prepare yourself.....obtaining a breeding pair is only the first step.....they must be good representations of the breed and meeting the standard. Many tests to have performed on them prior to breeding.

Last edited by Mardelin; 08-20-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!