Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers. |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
|12-07-2005, 09:18 PM||#1|
Crazy about Kacee!
Join Date: May 2005
Protect Your Pet During Holiday Season
Chocolate: Dogs love it, but it can be toxic and even lethal if consumed in large quantities. "This is one of the most common problems we see at the holidays," notes veterinarian Phillip Raclyn of the Riverside Veterinary Group in Manhattan. "Last year a dog got into a box of chocolates that was left under the tree and had to be hospitalized for three days."
Bones: Turkey and ham bones can splinter and lodge in a pet's throat, stomach, and intestines.
Fats, gravies, poultry skin: "Table scraps are okay in moderation," advises Dr. Raclyn, "but if pets eat them in larger amounts than usual, they can get very sick."
Pine needles from Christmas trees: If eaten, these can puncture a pet's intestine.
Holiday plants: Holly and mistletoe are poisonous if ingested. Preservatives used in the water at the base of a tree: The water is toxic if swallowed.
Ornaments: Tinsel, yarn, ribbon, string, broken glass and angel hair attract birds, cats, and other pets, and cause gastrointestinal problems if swallowed.
Electrical cords on holiday lights: These pose an open invitation to chew for dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets and other pets. If an animal chews through the insulation, the result can be severe burns or electrocution. Dr. Raclyn reports that a canine patient who chewed through a cord at Christmas "did survive - after ten surgeries on his mouth."
We all like making our homes more festive for the holidays. We enjoy the green foliage and colorful flowers of plants. Unfortunately, many of the plants we have in our homes during the holidays can be poisonous to pets. If ingested, holly (leaves and berries) causes stomach upset and can be potentially fatal to both dogs and cats. Mistletoe upsets stomachs and can cause heart collapse, while hibiscus may cause diarrhea. Poinsettias have an irritating sap that can cause blistering in the mouth and stomach upset. So when you brighten up your home, place these plants well out of your dog's reach, or use imitation holiday plants.
Decorations and Wrappings
All that glitters is not gold – it could be dangerous for your pet.
Ribbons, yarn, and string can cause intestinal obstruction and bunching of the intestine along the length of the string. These conditions require surgery and can be fatal. Ribbons around your dog's neck may be cute, but they can also be dangerous.
Adhesives and glues can be toxic and are often attractive to animals.
Potpourri contains oils that can be toxic to dogs if eaten. We may not think of eating it, but some curious pets may.
Candles can cause burns and fires. Never leave lighted candles unattended or within reach of your pet.
Few things are more tempting to a playful dog than a game of tug. This is not a good game, however, to play with the end of a tablecloth. Try to keep items such as tablecloths, table runners, etc., from hanging too low to the floor, and tempting happy dogs running by to grab an end and pull!
Gifts Under the Tree
Rawhide or other edible items left under the tree can be very tempting, and remember that companies (even Drs. Foster & Smith!) often package rawhide or other pet gifts wrapped in ribbon. Make sure to remove ribbons or ties before you present gifts to your dog. If played with and swallowed, yarn, ribbon, or string on gifts can cause intestinal obstruction, requiring surgery.
Perfumes and after-shaves contain ethanol (alcohol) and perfume also contains essential oils which can be very toxic to dogs if ingested.
Batteries for toys or other gifts can be toxic and cause intestinal obstruction. Keep in a safe place until they are ready to be inserted in the gift.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree, how careful we must be. Christmas trees and their decorations can create hazards for pets.
Place Christmas trees in a stable stand, and attach the tree securely to a window or wall with something like fish line. We have known others who have hung their tree from the ceiling! To keep pets away from the tree, it may help to use a Scat Mat. While most dog owners use an indoor exercise pen to provide a safe place for a pet to play, during the holidays, some people place the pen around the tree. Even though you take precautions, make sure your dog is always supervised when in a room with a tree.
Tree needles can be toxic and cause mouth and stomach irritation. Even needles and the wire of artificial trees could pose a problem. Be sure your dog is not chewing on branches or eating fallen needles.
Tinsel's shininess is attractive. When eaten, it can cause blockages, which often require surgery to remove. Leave it off the tree altogether.
Angel hair, flocking, and artificial snow are mildly toxic. If consumed in larger amounts, however, they could cause blockage of the intestine. Try decorating with something less likely to cause a problem.
Chewing on electrical cords, including cords of lights can cause problems ranging from burned mouths, to electrical shock to death by electrocution. Some larger lights can become quite hot, and could also cause burns. Unplug decorative lights when you are not there, use pet-proof extension cords, and spray cords with a product such as Bitter Apple or Chew Stop.
Dogs will often play with glass ornaments as if they were balls and serious oral lacerations can result. Sharp ornament hooks can also become imbedded in your pet's mouth or esophagus. Place ornaments that are shiny, or could be swallowed or broken high up on your tree. Larger, less intriguing ornaments can go near the bottom.
Decorating trees with food is asking for problems. Candy canes and gingerbread people can be as enticing to your dog as they are to children. We know of one diabetic dog who ran into some problems with regulating her disease because she was stealing candy canes off of the tree. Popcorn, raisin, or cranberry garlands are beautiful, but can cause an obstruction when eaten, requiring surgery.
Because tree preservatives are often sugar-based (and inviting to dogs) and because the water stands so long, the water in the tree stand often harbors potentially harmful bacteria. Fertilizers, insecticides, or flame retardants that were used on the tree may also get into the water. Cover the stand with a tree skirt or use other means to prevent access to the water.
Muffin 1991-2005 Rest in Peace My Little Angel
|12-07-2005, 09:20 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern AL
Very good information with this post, Thank you...
Dare to Dream Biewers
Charter Member of BAPPC
|12-07-2005, 09:50 PM||#3|
Senior Yorkie Talker
Join Date: Sep 2005
WOW, those are some good tips. Some of them I would never have thought about.
Thanks for the list!
Last edited by Lanie; 12-07-2005 at 09:53 PM.
|12-08-2005, 11:54 AM||#6|
YT 5000 Club Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Blog Entries: 1
That is some great info! I know how scary it is when a dog gets a hold of chocolate too! Last year when I was pregnant at Easter time I had some Cadbury eggs. I did not know that Gidget got a hold of one while I was at work! When I came home she had been throwing up blood! I immediately took her to the vet and he took a stool sample and said it looked like she had got ahold of chocolate! He gave me some stuff to ease her nauseau and told me to watch her! I am sooo thankful that it didn't hurt her really bad!
Chloe & Stewie