Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers. |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
|07-07-2008, 06:04 AM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: douglaston ny
Raisins & Grapes- Please Read
I JUST RECEIVED THIS IN A EMAIL FROM A VET:
If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a
dog, please pass along to friends who do.
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio
This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half
a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He
started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the
owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.
I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure
but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in
immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the
doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we
contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV
fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance a nd watch the kidney values for the next
The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
than 27) and creatinine! Over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and
started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and
creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the
point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for
a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight
He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic.
He was on 3 different anti vomiting medications and they still couldn't
control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120,
his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood
pressu re, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued
to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.
This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many
people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our
ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.
Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.
Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do.
This is worth passing on to them.
|07-09-2008, 06:56 PM||#2|
I Love My Babies
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Blog Entries: 1
Thank you for posting this. I was on here earlier and I read it. I have heard this before but I thought I would pass it on to my friends. I copied it and sent it to everyone in my email list. A few minutes later, one of my friends responded. She had no idea grapes and chocolate were bad for her dog. You may have saved a life. Thank you.
"Bobbi, Proud Mom To: Sandy & Leo
Yorkies & Grandkids - Make My Heart Smile
|07-09-2008, 07:49 PM||#3|
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: douglaston ny
oh, i am so glad that you sent this to everyone you know. i am happy to share info , which i myself had no idea grapes were bad for dogs, but i knew about chocolate.
thanks and i am glad your friend read this and it helped.