Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers. |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
|06-30-2008, 02:37 PM||#1|
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
Join Date: Feb 2007
I just received this email thougth and i would share it.
Warning to all dog owners - pass this on to everyone you can
Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 Lb.
dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the
den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's
friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her face so I looked closer
and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It contained xylitol. I
remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly
for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol w as the
ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one. Next,
I called our vet. She said to bring her in immediately.
Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour
to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found
another website to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe and said
they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb
the toxin (even though they don't think it works) then they would
start an iv with dextrose. The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second thing that
happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with aggressive
treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us she would
Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents of her
stomach contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her blood sugar had
dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to
another hospital that has a critical care unit operating around the
clock. We picked her up and took her there. They had us call the
ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a donation, their
doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment. They would continue
the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2 days test
her liver function. She ended up with a central line in her jugular
vein since the one in her leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had
Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital.
After her blood sugar was stabilized, she came home yesterday. They
ran all the tests again before they released her and so far, no sign
of liver damage. Had I not seen her head in the purse, she probably
would have died and we wouldn't even had known wh y.
Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even
knew about it since they are first learning about it too. Please tell
everyone you know about xylitol and dogs. It may save another life.
|06-30-2008, 06:28 PM||#2|
Join Date: May 2007
Yes this is very scary but true We had the same situation about a month ago. Kammie got into my Orbit melon mint gum. Of course this was at about midnight on a weekend. Had to call her vet at home, and was instructed to induce vomiting by hydrogen peroxide Not a fun night. Thank goodness everything turned out ok with her.
But this warning needs to be made known to everyone. Xylitol can kill our babies. PLEASE keep it up and out of their reach
Last edited by erino77; 06-30-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: add
|06-30-2008, 07:34 PM||#3|
Senior Yorkie Talker
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lexington, KY