Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers. |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
|06-10-2008, 10:43 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kirkland, wa
Post BAT test @ 34
My friend just got the most adorable Yorkie at 17 weeks old.
Before committing to her and not completely falling in love, she took her in for a Bile Acid test to see if she might have Liver Shunt.
Since my Diva has LS, she didnt want to go thru what I went thru.
Turns out the Post fasting level was at 34. Normal is 20 and under.
Do you think she should panic? Does this automatic assume the dog has LS?
Should she go get an ultrasound?
She doesnt want to wait because she will be more in love with the pup.
Its a terrible situation for a new mommy.
If you are second guessing, please dont respond. I need to talk to someone who is familiar with BAT testing.
|06-11-2008, 04:28 AM||#2|
Donating YT 30K Club Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Blog Entries: 6
My Cali's first Bile Acid test score was 0/94 and on retest it was 0/43.. I had all the testing done, ultrasound, liver biopsy and she was diagnosed with a very mild MVD (internal shunt) that requires no treatment or diet. I do watch her protein intake. I would probably have the BA rerun and see what it shows. Cali's specislist said that scores under 100 usually indicate MVD, much higher ones can mean lie shunt, in her experience. I hope the baby is ok.
Cali Pixie Roxie : RIP Nikki; RIP Maya;RIP my sweet Dixie girl 1/17/08
|06-11-2008, 05:27 AM||#3|
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Long Island
I don't think this is cause for alarm.
I was just reading yesterday about breeders talking about how it doesn't make sense to BAT young pups, b/c they give false readings under 6 months of age. Also, being so young and having to get vaccines and such can also throw off BAT #'s
Mine have abnormal #s and I have been to a specialist whom really says that they really go by 40 and over as a Post
I hope that helps
Adopt Donate Foster
|06-11-2008, 09:05 AM||#4|
Join Date: Aug 2005
i also don't think it is cause for alarm. i had one dog test high and the even tho it was a little high, it was not high enough for MVD or LS. he told me to change my dog food. I did and now it's fine. But your friend probably doesn't want to wait that long to get the puppy to see if it is the dog food. High protein content can cause high readings.
|06-12-2008, 05:53 AM||#5|
Donating YT 3000 Club Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
I don't think this is cause for alarm and a bunch of testing...My recommendation would be to re-check the bile acid test in a month or so...Make sure not to give any shots, meds (including flea/heartworm), or anything like that within 2 weeks of the next BAT so that those things can't throw off the test.
Miko 's his Mommy
|06-12-2008, 07:33 AM||#6|
Join Date: Jul 2007
Logan's post-meal BAT is 33. The vet is not recommending anything other than continuing his low protein dog food and lactulose. We are not pursuing any other tests at this time.
|06-12-2008, 08:52 AM||#7|
YT 1000 Club Member
Join Date: May 2007
I have seen young yorkies with a slightly elevated BA return to normal at the re-check. If she is very concerned then I would take her back to the breeder and ask the breeder to hold on to her and have it re-checked in a few weeks. I would be more than willing to do this if this happened with one of our puppies. This way she does not get too attached. The breeder could then take her in for the re-test. If it is still high then I would consider the Ultrasound.
JaLa Yorkshire Terriers
|06-13-2008, 06:41 AM||#8|
And Rylee Finnegan
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
When were the last shots given?
That could be the reason.
It could be MVD but that number is very low.
If your friend isn't planning on breeding, it should be fine.
In all honesty though, there is a chance that it could go higher.
Ellie's post was 47 and then went down to 15 and then up to 106 (maybe from a vaccine), so it is impossible to say if the numbers will return to normal.
I would probably stop all shots and wormings for at least 2-4 weeks and retest.
Crystal, Ellie May (RIP), Rylee Finnegan, and Gracie Boo🐶